PDA

View Full Version : [Unity] Gang Up is not working in SWADE

Valyar
November 28th, 2020, 08:24
Last night we had excellent session where the cowpokes attacked some fiendish coyotes in their lair. I noticed that Gang Up is not applied automatically when all conditions are met: same faction, targeting and next to the target of the attack. I recall that once or twice the modifier was applied, but it seemed random.

I checked some old threads and it seems there is issue with Unity, but it was reported months ago. Does this persist or I am forgetting something?

fubeca150
November 29th, 2020, 20:22
Were the fiendish coyotes adjacent to each other and a cowpoke? Gang-Up bonus is reduced by adjacent allies. That's one that threw my group when we first encountered it.

Edit: I should mention that we tested this pretty thoroughly a few sessions ago and it seemed to be working amazingly well -- but there have been a few updates since then so maybe it got broken again. We only had one gang-up situation in our game last night and it appeared to be working properly.

Valyar
November 29th, 2020, 21:13
Yes, I was minding the adjacent requirements and the fact that allies that are also adjacent will reduce the effect of the gang-up. I am planning few more of those, will be watching closely. If I have time will do some mock-up battles before.

Sgain
November 29th, 2020, 23:10
make sure the grid is 'visible' you can turn down the grid lines to invisible but it must be 'visible' to work.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 30th, 2020, 01:05
If you are using squares the gang up works if you are using hexagons the gang up don't work

Valyar
November 30th, 2020, 06:48
All conditions that you mentioned are met - grid is there, it is visible and etc. This morning I made one mock-up battle on clean campaign to see how things are going, and as you can see from the output in the chat, gang up is not added even though I have it enabled in the options. I am sure it was added in previous encounters to some extent.

What am I missing?

YggBjorn
December 2nd, 2020, 00:03
The minotaur and Orcs are both marked as Enemies, i.e. the same faction. You need to set the Minotaur to Friendly (green), Neutral (yellow), or Faction (clear) to have a Gang-Up bonus work for the Orcs which are Enemy (red).

Valyar
December 2nd, 2020, 06:49
Yes, the test was botched. Now I did the same with the two parties being on different sides. Same outcome, I don't see gang-up. :(

Lonewolf
December 3rd, 2020, 15:50
Yes, the test was botched. Now I did the same with the two parties being on different sides. Same outcome, I don't see gang-up. :(

YMMV. Can't reproduce error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 41622

So long as grid is on and tokens placed correctly it should work. Any attempt at using a hex grid will cause a fail. Will test with group on Savage Saturday if time permits. Although to honest everyone I play with can spot a gang up bonus so fast that I don't even know if it is needs to be switched on. It is a very simple rule to eyeball.

Valyar
December 3rd, 2020, 16:17
Tomorrow we have game, will see what the result will be. I smell Error 40, but this is to be seen :)

amerigoV
December 5th, 2020, 16:30
I did have this gang up issue happen one session, but it has been awhile back (maybe September). I just retried it since I am running more horror right now, so less on the map tactical combat. I did use a map that I had the chase rules active. They did negate the gang up calculation (which kinda makes sense) but it worked when I turned it back off. Its not the OP's problem (I looked back at the screen shot) but just something to be aware of if you are using a map for flavor in a chase then use it directly in a combat.

chillhelm
December 7th, 2020, 15:18
It works for me as well. Have you maybe turned off Gang Up in the House Rules section of the settings?

Ikael
December 28th, 2020, 15:07
I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. If this is this relevant could you provide me steps how to reproduce this?