PDA

View Full Version : steam vs SW store?

ONEone
November 27th, 2020, 15:37
Is there any benefit buying the game from one place or the other? i was thinking of getting the ultimate license and it looks like it's about $10ish cheaper on steam. however i read things about needing to sync stuff between the two systems. i also use multiple computers. so if i'm building things then i would assume i would need to copy files between them.

tldr, halp! (and thanks for any halp)

[edit] it actually looks like it's the same price here, the 10% off is applied to the license in the cart. so same price, but i'm not sure if there's an advantage to getting it here or steam (other than the cut that steam takes).

Neovirtus
November 27th, 2020, 16:02
There's no advantage to buying through Steam, unless you need their international pricing which can be helpful. If you're shopping in USD, I would recommend not using Steam. Plus, SW loses a lot of money to Steam for licenses purchased there.

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2020, 16:53
Steam:
- regional pricing
- 2hr / 14 day refund policy
- requires account sync
- tracks hours of use
- takes ~30% commission

SmiteWorks Store
- PayPal only
- 30 (day) refund policy

Griogre
November 27th, 2020, 18:58
That is 30 *day* refund no questions when purchased directly from Smiteworks.

JohnD
November 27th, 2020, 21:19
One more; Steam takes a 30% haircut off the top.

That means Smiteworks gets less $ to keep people paid and development going.

It also means the people who work on putting modules and other DLC together for the store see less commission for their time and effort.

Whether or not this is important to you - that's up to you. :)

kyroplastics
November 27th, 2020, 21:49
Plus you can add non-Steam games to your Steam library very easily if you really want to keep track of all your games.

here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557)

Jiminimonka
November 27th, 2020, 23:06
Is there any benefit buying the game from one place or the other? i was thinking of getting the ultimate license and it looks like it's about $10ish cheaper on steam. however i read things about needing to sync stuff between the two systems. i also use multiple computers. so if i'm building things then i would assume i would need to copy files between them.

tldr, halp! (and thanks for any halp)

[edit] it actually looks like it's the same price here, the 10% off is applied to the license in the cart. so same price, but i'm not sure if there's an advantage to getting it here or steam (other than the cut that steam takes).

Always Smiteworks - because they make more money without having to give a cut to Valve. Support small companies that make awesome software.