PDA

View Full Version : Question to those with way more Knowledge that me. (Effects)

corum Rask
November 26th, 2020, 17:41
I know in Fantasy Grounds 5e Core rule set you can add effects to simulate Healing and may other effects that Spells and abilities can do. Can something like that be done in the Rolemaster rule set? It would be nice to just click a button have the Concussion Way spell reduce the targets damage.

Is there a way to do that with the RMC or RMFRP or is that something that that only those systems built on the core rules can do?

Thanks

JohnD
November 26th, 2020, 18:31
Yes, that would be quite nice. I remember Dakadin said he wanted to work on more effects in the future, perhaps something like this will be coming?

Dakadin
November 26th, 2020, 22:11
Yes, I do plan on adding more effects. The initial release was mainly just getting the existing effects from v1.8 working. Once I get to updating the spells tab, I plan on adding more effects.

dunadan
December 15th, 2020, 07:55
Yes, I do plan on adding more effects. The initial release was mainly just getting the existing effects from v1.8 working. Once I get to updating the spells tab, I plan on adding more effects.

Or perhaps as an extension?

Rather than you creating *all* the spell effects yourself. Allow the RM community to do it for you...

Ardem
December 15th, 2020, 08:02
I looked at adding extra effects, dunadan but it too complex for me to get my head wrapped around it at the moment. Not saying impossible but keep expectation low on RM community doing it.

Dakadin
December 15th, 2020, 16:56
Yeah effects are complicated because you need to code for them throughout the ruleset instead of just an isolated section that you normally would deal with when adding a new feature, but I do like the idea. If someone wants to try creating an extension that adds effects, I will see if I can incorporate it into the ruleset but no guarantees since it will depend on how everything fits together. They could always use them in their games though and provide them for the community to use in the meantime.

Dakadin
December 15th, 2020, 17:58
Since we are on the subject, what effect would people like to see in the ruleset and what things do you see them changing? I figure you guys will come up with a few that I might miss so please let me know what you would like to see.

JohnD
December 15th, 2020, 22:16
Off the top of my head:

- bonus/penalty to OB in general or attack type(s) specifically (i.e. OB: +10 ranged)
- bonus/penalty to DB in general or attack type(s) specifically (i.e. DB: +10 slashing)
- bonus/penalty to MM in general
- bonus/penalty to specific skills (i.e. Cloak of Elvenkind: MM: +10 hide)
- bonus/penalty to RRs in general or specific types (i.e. RR: +10 terror)

You might say that some of the above can already be handled within the various options on a skill or item, and that's true. But, having these in as effects on the character (or the NPCs) allows for adjustments that the player isn't aware of (GM only visibility), and a big bonus is that the adjustments get added in (or at least they do in my imagining of the implementation...) when a roll is made and the resolver stack opens up - the GM doesn't have to worry about having forgotten something.

Dakadin
December 15th, 2020, 22:31
Thanks John. Those are good ones. I will have to think about the skills one though since RM has so many potential skills and I would want it to be flexible enough to handle skills that a GM adds.

dunadan
December 15th, 2020, 23:35
If you are asking for unlimited suggestions depends how complex you want to get. A couple that I have used...

Intoxication, Mild ; Penalty:-10
Intoxication, Medium ; Penalty:-25
Intoxication, Severe ; Penalty:-50

Lots of others that are basically the same (just with a different name) ie poison effects and spell effects. Covered by mods to DB/OB/RR/etc.

An interesting one is damage to a stat. ie Con damage from undead (my party hated that one!)
Reducing a crit by 1 level of severity

Belt of Balance — This leather belt reduces the severity of Unbalancing criticals by one level (e.g., a ‘C’ Unbalancing critical becomes a ‘B,’ a ‘B’ becomes an ‘A,’ and an ‘A’ becomes an ‘A’ with a special modification of -25 to the critical roll).A chance to "miss" the target completely. I think this would be too hard to implement. But if there was a "miss" chance the GM could manually edit each round.

Displacement I – Target appears to be offset from where they actually are, all attacks have no effect 10% of the time. Each time a foe misses them, the chance of that foe missing again goes down 5%.
Is it possible to have the player drop the effects onto target as well? Not just the GM. Makes play a bit quicker (and one less thing for the GM to do).

Dakadin
December 16th, 2020, 00:09
Thanks Dunadan. The first 3 all are using the existing Penalty effect. It might be worthwhile to put those types of effects in a separate module for people to use. The onees JohnD mentioned would allow effecting specific rolls instead of all rolls like the Penalty effect.

The Con damage can be track directly on the Main tab now but I could see using stat effects for more temporary things.

The critical one would be a bit tough at the moment but I do plan on trying to do something similar for the NPCs so the critical severity reduction or use of large/super large critical tables is more automated. After that the critical effects should be possible.

The chance to miss might be possible with a separate roll for it but I would want it to still go to the Table Resolver just in case there is an issue so the GM could still resolve it. Then I would need to make it obvious to the GM that it actually missed.

Once I add effects to the character sheet (spells tab initially) then the players should be able to apply effects like in other rulesets. I will need to test a few ideas that I have where a player might be able to do it now but I won't be sure until I try it out when I get a chance.

Dakadin
December 16th, 2020, 19:52
Hi Dunadan,

If the GM sets up effects in the sidebar effects and sets them to visible with the eye icon then the PCs can open the effects sidebar item and drag them from there to the entries in the combat tracker.

This image shows the GM instance on the left and the player instance on the right. Ashe was the player that added the effects to the entries in the combat tracker as indicated in the chat window.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

dunadan
December 16th, 2020, 23:14
Hi Dunadan,

If the GM sets up effects in the sidebar effects and sets them to visible with the eye icon then the PCs can open the effects sidebar item and drag them from there to the entries in the combat tracker.

This image shows the GM instance on the left and the player instance on the right. Ashe was the player that added the effects to the entries in the combat tracker as indicated in the chat window.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Thanks for that. Another of the system capabilities that I wasn't aware of...

Dakadin
December 16th, 2020, 23:17
No worries. I had to test it because I wasn't sure myself :P

Theros
January 9th, 2021, 17:27
How healing spells and herbs should be handled in this system? I mean how to apply effects the best way?

Dakadin
January 10th, 2021, 00:50
Right now it is a manual process of adjusting the hits or removing the appropriate effects. I do want to add a heal effect for removing damage and have it attached to the actual spells so they can be dragged to the target.

Dakadin
January 22nd, 2021, 20:29
The following basic effects were added to the ruleset:
OB - Applies to the OB when attacking
DB - Applies to the DB when attacked
MM - All MM rolls whether skills or the MM or Move fields
SM - All Static Maneuver skill rolls
Skill - Applies to all skill rolls
RR - Applies to all RR rolls

So they can added like this OB:10. It will add 10 to the OB when rolling.

I will be adding additional ones but this was the first pass.

Ardem
January 25th, 2021, 02:46
An effect to Init would also be good there are some spells I believe like disorientation Mind destruction that does have a - to init

Dakadin
January 25th, 2021, 20:50
That's a good idea Ardem. I will add that.

The release was pushed back a week because I found a bug and the update wouldn't be included in this Tuesday's release.

dunadan
March 9th, 2021, 23:23
I've been fiddling with this new capability and am loving it. Makes things a lot easier when applying spell effects. Only problem I am having is with the RR modifier. Can't seem to get it to work.

So I apply an effect as follows:

Spell, Protection II; RR:10; DB:10

The DB modifier is applied, but the RR doesn't apply. Not for the calculation for the RR modifier or for the RR roll itself. Tried it with both characters and enemies. Same result.

What am I doing wrong?

Dakadin
March 10th, 2021, 01:16
I just copied the text you had for the effect and it worked fine for me with both the RR and DB. How are you trying to roll the RR, from the character sheet?

dunadan
March 10th, 2021, 08:14
I just copied the text you had for the effect and it worked fine for me with both the RR and DB. How are you trying to roll the RR, from the character sheet?

Via the Combat Tracker and directly from the Character sheet.

Example
Mindy the Mind-Blaster targets Tom the Brick
Tom has the effect on him as per my previous message "Spell, Protection II; RR: +10; DB: +10"
If Mindy uses a melee attack, on the Table Resolver it has an entry for "DB - Target Effects -10"
If Mindy uses a FireBolt, again on the Table Resolver it has an entry for "DB - Target Effects -10"
If Mindy uses a Base Attack Spell, on the Table Resolver nothing is displayed (other than Mindy's BAS OB). If I resolve the RR from the Table Resolver no modifier is applied.

And if I open the character sheet from the Combat Tracker and click on any RR, it rolls with the modifier from the character sheet, but no additional effect.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Dakadin
March 10th, 2021, 22:28
Do you have any extensions loaded? Also does it work if you just add an effect RR:10?

dunadan
March 10th, 2021, 23:16
Do you have any extensions loaded? Also does it work if you just add an effect RR:10?

Culled the text to "RR:10" and unloaded all extensions. Same result.

Dakadin
March 11th, 2021, 00:55
Is this FGC or FGU?

Does it do the same in a new campaign without extensions?

dunadan
March 11th, 2021, 01:12
Is this FGC or FGU?

Does it do the same in a new campaign without extensions?

FGU

Created a new campaign, loaded with no extensions, created a couple of new characters. Same result ie DB/OB is correctly applying, but RR not.

Dakadin
March 11th, 2021, 02:05
Thanks for testing that. Maybe we are just doing things different. Here are the steps I followed:
1. Add a PC to the Combat Tracker
2. Add the RR:10 effect to the PC
3. Open the PC's character sheet
4. Use the shadow dice in the RR section of the character sheet to roll by either double clicking or drag and dropping the dice (It should show "[RR - Effects +10]" in the chat message)
5. On the Table Resolver, resolve the RR roll (You should see an entry in the modifiers list for RR - Effects with a value of 10)

Note: Only PCs can roll RRs at this point. I need to add an option for NPCs to roll so they can take advantage of the new RR effect.

Please let me know if you are doing anything differently or have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

dunadan
March 12th, 2021, 09:41
Thanks for testing that. Maybe we are just doing things different. Here are the steps I followed:
1. Add a PC to the Combat Tracker
2. Add the RR:10 effect to the PC
3. Open the PC's character sheet
4. Use the shadow dice in the RR section of the character sheet to roll by either double clicking or drag and dropping the dice (It should show "[RR - Effects +10]" in the chat message)
5. On the Table Resolver, resolve the RR roll (You should see an entry in the modifiers list for RR - Effects with a value of 10)

Note: Only PCs can roll RRs at this point. I need to add an option for NPCs to roll so they can take advantage of the new RR effect.

Please let me know if you are doing anything differently or have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Haven't had a chance to test any further. Will try on the weekend and get back to you...

Majyk
March 13th, 2021, 05:48
I’ll throw a link to the video and try to source the timestamp if we tested this during our game this morning.
If not, apologies for not capturing/getting it!

Dakadin
March 14th, 2021, 01:55
Majyk, did you experience the same issue also or did were you going to show the process?

Majyk
March 14th, 2021, 03:26
I’m in Dunadan’s game and was looking for the timestamp of it occurring in his game on Friday morning, aye.
Sorry for the wait, Wife has been off and stealing hobby time, LOL!
:D

Majyk
March 14th, 2021, 06:15
@1:21 you can see the effects Dunadan speaks of.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/946350837?t=81s

my PC’s Channeling RR bonus is normally a +6 and the previous effect shows as being applied to me(+10RR as was shared above by our GM).
The roll does not reflect the mod, however.

this game was run from 03:30-07:30 on Friday 12th, 2021 if needing a timestamp - confirmed using FGU.

===

I’m in Dunadan’s game and was looking for the timestamp of it occurring in his game on Friday morning, aye.
Sorry for the wait, Wife has been off and stealing hobby time, LOL!
:D

Dakadin
March 14th, 2021, 07:42
Thanks. I didn't doubt that it was happening. I just need to figure out how it is happening. :)

Dakadin
March 16th, 2021, 02:13
I tracked it down and it will be fixed in the next release.

Majyk
March 20th, 2021, 05:06
You rock, as always, Sir.

Dakadin
March 20th, 2021, 05:47
It should be on the test channel now (v2.1.26) if anyone needs it before Tuesday.

dunadan
April 12th, 2021, 01:41
It should be on the test channel now (v2.1.26) if anyone needs it before Tuesday.

Sorry for taking a while to respond... but RR definitely works now.

As a thought is it possible to add an effect to apply a damage multiplier? I know that you can create a weapon with that effect, but what about an effect? I'm specifically thinking about the "Frenzy" skill ie OB: +30 and damage x2...

Also... and I hesitate to say this.... but I have checked multiple times... it looks like the INIT modifier isn't working. It was OK a couple of weeks ago, but tried last night and no go.

Dakadin
April 12th, 2021, 05:29
Sorry for taking a while to respond... but RR definitely works now.

As a thought is it possible to add an effect to apply a damage multiplier? I know that you can create a weapon with that effect, but what about an effect? I'm specifically thinking about the "Frenzy" skill ie OB: +30 and damage x2...

Also... and I hesitate to say this.... but I have checked multiple times... it looks like the INIT modifier isn't working. It was OK a couple of weeks ago, but tried last night and no go.
Hi dunadan,

The damage multiplier might be possible. Let me see if I can work that out.

The INIT modifier did have a bug rolling from the character sheet that I already turned over for Tuesday's release. It should be working for the GM using the menu on the combat tracker. One thing to be aware of is effects are case sensitive so it does need to be INIT. Where did you see it not working and can you give me the steps to replicate it so I can see if I missed anything?

Thanks,
Dakadin

dunadan
April 12th, 2021, 06:02
The INIT modifier did have a bug rolling from the character sheet that I already turned over for Tuesday's release. It should be working for the GM using the menu on the combat tracker. One thing to be aware of is effects are case sensitive so it does need to be INIT. Where did you see it not working and can you give me the steps to replicate it so I can see if I missed anything?

Didn't realise it was case sensitive. Have tried it as INIT and it works fine.

Apologies, my bad... :-(

Dakadin
April 12th, 2021, 19:11
No need to apologize. I am just glad you figured it out. :)

I am starting to add sample effects for each effect to the appropriate modules so hopefully it will help people to see what effects are available. I've been preparing the ruleset for the new vision and lighting functionality that is in the FGU v4.1 beta. There are some new effects for VISION and LIGHT that I added to Character Law and Spell Law to work with the new Senses field. I will work on getting all the other effects in the RMC ruleset added to the other modules soon.

dunadan
April 13th, 2021, 00:11
I am starting to add sample effects for each effect to the appropriate modules so hopefully it will help people to see what effects are available. I've been preparing the ruleset for the new vision and lighting functionality that is in the FGU v4.1 beta. There are some new effects for VISION and LIGHT that I added to Character Law and Spell Law to work with the new Senses field. I will work on getting all the other effects in the RMC ruleset added to the other modules soon.

Sounds great. Can't wait to try them out...

dunadan
May 21st, 2021, 07:41

Been playing with the lighting effects and have to say that it is working great. As always great work!

Also, I have an extra module I have created with additional races. What is the format for adding "Senses" to the additional races?

Dakadin
May 21st, 2021, 16:31
Hi Dunadan,

It is just using this tag:

<senses type='string'>Nightvision</senses>

Here is what it looks like for the High Elf in Character Law:

Dakadin

dunadan
May 23rd, 2021, 05:22
Worked fine
Thanks