PDA

View Full Version : MGT2 v1.2.0

MadBeardMan
November 21st, 2020, 22:04
Evening Folks,

Now that v1.1.6 has been sent to FG, and it has the very basics of the Ship based Combat Tracker (in all working order I hope). It's time to begin the branch for the High Guard book.

Plans have changed for v1.2.0 a lot over the last 48 hours since I learned of High Guards release next week.

Only listing what work I've completed, and what I'm working on.

[Added] PC Spacecraft. New sidebar button added. Create PC ship, drag existing spacecraft onto it to pre-populate details etc
[Updated] Spacecraft Weapons. Weapons have been updated to include new traits and layout with Number of attacks included
[Updated] NPCs. Updated the layout on the NPC record sheet
[Fixed] Spacecraft Weapons. Missing class error.
[Fixed] Spacecraft. The last update removed most of the Spacecraft from the Core rulebook - they're back in!

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
November 26th, 2020, 11:52
I'd try SuperTeddy57, he's the Starfinder ship system guru.

Whatever you do in this will hopefully also make vehicles easier down the road too, as many concepts are the same. :)

MadBeardMan
November 26th, 2020, 12:38
I'd try SuperTeddy57, he's the Starfinder ship system guru.

Whatever you do in this will hopefully also make vehicles easier down the road too, as many concepts are the same. :)

I do speak with Superted, it's just very confusing and as I don't play Starfinder it feels an awkward way of sharing things (via the Party Sheet). However it'll work how it needs to work, been working on Ammo Count for missiles etc.

Cheers,
MBM

Dalton Calford
November 27th, 2020, 16:04
I was wondering if a Task Chain Tracker Tool was something that was possible.
For example, you may have a situation where every member of the party needs to work together with the task chain getting complex.
If there is a way of describing the task chain and have the players drop their rolls onto the appropriate spot on the chain, with the results affecting the next step.

Having a list that describes the task (String), a situational modifier (+-dm), boon or bane, a default time taken that can be increased or decreased, changing target number, default skill/attribute plus if the roll is independant or part of the chain.
As an example

"Plot Jump 1" [-1] '-' [Easy] [1D x 10 Minutes] [Astrogation{EDU}] [Ind]
"Perform Jump" [] '-' [Easy] [1D x 10 Minutes] [J-Drive{EDU}] [Chn]

Now, with these basic task chains that can be pulled up as needed and have each player drop their roll as needed unto the appropriate place, you can also edit or copy them and add in extra complexity such as an engineer roll to cold boot the engine, or given the situation a piloting roll to keep the ship steady while in a dog fight to not further impair the rest of the crew.

Having a task chain mechanic list like this (if possible) would not only allow GM's or Adventure writers to prepare in advance for situations that are likely to occur, it would also give the players direct feedback as to what they need to do and how important their contribution is.

Just a suggestion if you can (want) to do it.

Dalton Calford
November 29th, 2020, 16:42
Another element you may want to add is support for TAS or other similiar agencies.
I had a character get TAS as a mustering out benefit and there was no place on the Sheet to put this info except in Notes.
Although MGT2 does not (at least I have yet to read it) detail the various groups, in Classic Traveller, Scouts would/could hang around the local scout base to get rumours, while ex-navy/marines would be able to get into navy bases that where not open to the general public. Depending upon your games time period, the octagon society could also play a part.
You can't call this 'equipment' but does give benefits. Perhaps a membership would be what it is called. Mechanically, a name, a description and benefits list would be what would be needed, as well as a place on the character sheet to put this information. The core MGT2 rules support this sort of thing ie TAS but, having it as a GM editable list of items would be wonderful.

Dalton Calford
November 29th, 2020, 16:48
Another suggeston (I am getting demanding arnt I)
Language Fonts (there are many free Vilani versions on the web, and I have lots of alien fonts that are Creative Commons)
I have had difficulties getting an extension to work with FGU on linux that supports language fonts, while they appear to work if they are part of the base ruleset.
If we had the fonts embedded and had the language skills treated as Fantasy Ground Languages, we could take advantage of the many languages of the Traveller universe.
That adds so much to the game interface.

MadBeardMan
November 29th, 2020, 19:49
Another suggeston (I am getting demanding arnt I)
Language Fonts (there are many free Vilani versions on the web, and I have lots of alien fonts that are Creative Commons)
I have had difficulties getting an extension to work with FGU on linux that supports language fonts, while they appear to work if they are part of the base ruleset.
If we had the fonts embedded and had the language skills treated as Fantasy Ground Languages, we could take advantage of the many languages of the Traveller universe.
That adds so much to the game interface.

Hello,

There's no 'font' for any language from Mongooses, if you have 'free' fonts that you can add a extension if you want.

Cheers,
MBM

Dalton Calford
November 29th, 2020, 23:10
Hello,

There's no 'font' for any language from Mongooses, if you have 'free' fonts that you can add a extension if you want.

Cheers,
MBM

I have tried creating an extension for fonts that supports linux, but its not working for me, including sample extensions for other game systems.
it may be how the directories are entered in the xml/lua

A working example would be perfect

Pharoid
November 30th, 2020, 01:48
Love the task chain idea by Dalton above. good example too. It would help to keep players involved and would encourage adventure and utility module creators to expand the possible chains.

MadBeardMan
December 1st, 2020, 23:32
Hi Folks,

Due to HG being released next week I'm going to cut short this development and just add some more features but get a version of the PC ship that can be added to the SCT.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
December 1st, 2020, 23:34
Love the task chain idea by Dalton above. good example too. It would help to keep players involved and would encourage adventure and utility module creators to expand the possible chains.

Oddly I started on it today, just as an extension to see how well it would work, but gotta postpone that for the moment.

Cheers,
MBM

Dalton Calford
December 2nd, 2020, 00:39
Thanks MBM!

I have been using 1.16 all day and it is wonderful the changes you have made.

MadBeardMan
December 2nd, 2020, 11:31
Thanks MBM!

I have been using 1.16 all day and it is wonderful the changes you have made.

Hi Dalton,

That's awesome news! Keep up your suggestions and comments, I might continue the Task Chains extension around other bits as it's a great tool.

Cheers,
MBM

Zergcow
December 2nd, 2020, 15:19
will the ship sheet have inventory? I currently use a PC sheet to track ship inventory and the ship sheet for all the ship's info. And will the players be able to send inventory to the ship when they distribute inventory on the party sheet?

Dalton Calford
December 2nd, 2020, 16:24
Hi Dalton,

That's awesome news! Keep up your suggestions and comments, I might continue the Task Chains extension around other bits as it's a great tool.

Cheers,
MBM

I think a separate thread is needed that has suggestions - you can pick and choose which ones you want to pursue, but, we would have a specific area to place suggestions.

MadBeardMan
December 4th, 2020, 19:18
Hi Folks,

I had to rush v1.2.0 out (it's due for release on the 8th with High Guard).

So going to create a new thread.

Cheers,
MBM

Xargun
December 4th, 2020, 21:04
Hi Folks,

I had to rush v1.2.0 out (it's due for release on the 8th with High Guard).

So going to create a new thread.

Cheers,
MBM

What ??? High Guard comes out on Dec 8th ???? Why didn't you warn us :)

Xargun

adzling
December 4th, 2020, 21:50
yaay high guard in time for xmas! nice one mbm

GregRex
December 5th, 2020, 20:50
My crew is ecstatic!

Xargun
December 7th, 2020, 14:21
Silly question on the High Guard release. Other than more ship data and such, can you let us know what it comes with? Trying to decide whether to buy it right away or until you get more added to it.

Xargun

MadBeardMan
December 7th, 2020, 14:24
Silly question on the High Guard release. Other than more ship data and such, can you let us know what it comes with? Trying to decide whether to buy it right away or until you get more added to it.

Xargun

It comes with the Ship CT and working attack/damage and damage pending options. As with CSC when that dropped it didn't have much custom coding as the work in the equipment took long enough and unless it sells I get nothing from the work.

The aim with the updates over the next few months is to add more features, v1.2.1 which will arrive soon (before Xmas) is underway and has some HG specific stuff.

At the end of the day, it's purely upto you. Just play the game and keep commenting and suggesting ideas etc!

Cheers,
MBM

Xargun
December 7th, 2020, 14:26
It comes with the Ship CT and working attack/damage and damage pending options. As with CSC when that dropped it didn't have much custom coding as the work in the equipment took long enough and unless it sells I get nothing from the work.

The aim with the updates over the next few months is to add more features, v1.2.1 which will arrive soon (before Xmas) is underway and has some HG specific stuff.

At the end of the day, it's purely upto you. Just play the game and keep commenting and suggesting ideas etc!

Cheers,
MBM

Ship combat is probably worth it right there tbh - although I am very excited about the ship builder you mentioned :)

Xargun

MadBeardMan
December 7th, 2020, 14:28
Ship combat is probably worth it right there tbh - although I am very excited about the ship builder you mentioned :)

Xargun

Well Ship Builder you say..... I think the Spacecraft Data Model is just about right, and this release contains weapons for Spacecraft, so slowly add in the data for the drives/hulls/options etc and once data is done, begin the ship builder. It won't use the DnD 5E Character Wizard (been told it's very 5E) though I'll use it as guidance. Once Task Chains is complete, maybe I can start on the builder.

Cheers,
MBM

Xargun
December 7th, 2020, 14:31
Well Ship Builder you say..... I think the Spacecraft Data Model is just about right, and this release contains weapons for Spacecraft, so slowly add in the data for the drives/hulls/options etc and once data is done, begin the ship builder. It won't use the DnD 5E Character Wizard (been told it's very 5E) though I'll use it as guidance. Once Task Chains is complete, maybe I can start on the builder.

Cheers,
MBM

Excellent. Will that be available to everyone in FGU or only the GM? or will it have an option to control who can use it?

Xargun

Xargun
December 8th, 2020, 15:22
Any idea when High Guard will drop ?

Xargun

adzling
December 8th, 2020, 15:41
today's the day! woot!

MadBeardMan
December 8th, 2020, 16:48
It's released:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=MGP40002TRVMG2E

And on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1470950/Fantasy_Grounds__High_Guard/

Please be gentle and yes, the store images need updating to contain the updated record sheet for spacecraft, pew pew. Remember to download v1.2.0. of the ruleset before you play.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
December 8th, 2020, 17:02
hells yeah!

Xargun
December 8th, 2020, 17:04
Wasn't there earlier :) Only $30... good deal - will definitely buy it. Was worried it would be another $50.

Xargun

adzling
December 8th, 2020, 17:13
and it's loading!

Xargun
December 8th, 2020, 17:14
Bought it in the store but for some reason it's not showing up as an option under "Library" within FGU.

You have to download it - exit out of FGU and open it back up and do updates it will download then... Also, where do I get v1.2.0 ? Thought it would auto download, but it's not.

Xargun

Xargun
December 8th, 2020, 17:17
You have to download it - exit out of FGU and open it back up and do updates it will download then... Also, where do I get v1.2.0 ? Thought it would auto download, but it's not.

Xargun

Nevermind just closed and reopened and it downloaded High Guard again and v 1.2.0 :) Just in time for Friday's game session. Awesome work MBM.

Xargun

RustyInRT
December 8th, 2020, 17:59
What the hell, MBM! I was expecting to drop another $50 on a core book. But $29.99! An early Xmas present?

Better buy it now before someone realizes their mistake.

Pharoid
December 8th, 2020, 22:10
Bought it. It did go up. :-) But worth it. thanks for your efforts! I noticed a bug or 2 just quick loading but wont be able to provide specifics till later. One was an error that prevented the ships from cycling though stages though.

Xargun
December 9th, 2020, 00:10
Oh wow it did go up to $50 - first time I ever get on the good side of a deal like that.

Xargun

chumbly
December 9th, 2020, 06:39
So how does one add a weapon to a starship? I took the free trader in the spacecraft list, duplicated it into a private
group, so I could unlock it, then tried to add a beam laser to it. I tried both from the reference manual and from
the items list. Nada, nothing happened in either case? Not saying that there is a bug, just that I am clueless
on how to do this.

Chumbly

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2020, 10:35
Hi All,

Yep the pricing was a mistake enjoy it if you got it at the earlier price, means I get 40% less but it's still enough to buy a beer once the pubs re-open!

Now about Weapons. Chumbly they're manually added in v.1.2.0, in v1.2.1 you'll be able to drag and drop them in, I just didn't have enough time to get it added to v1.2.0. But there's a hotfix happening for FGU.

Cheers,
MBM

chumbly
December 9th, 2020, 14:02
thanx... I was wondering if my ruleset had gotten corrupted or if I really completely clueless, and everybody was doing
drag and drop effortlessly as I was flummoxed. I can easily live with still in development, I spent my career in software dev,
it is ready when it is ready.

Chumbly

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2020, 14:12
thanx... I was wondering if my ruleset had gotten corrupted or if I really completely clueless, and everybody was doing
drag and drop effortlessly as I was flummoxed. I can easily live with still in development, I spent my career in software dev,
it is ready when it is ready.

Chumbly

You can't do any drag and drop if the data isn't there, and if the data is wrong then you have to rinse and repeat. As far as effortlessly, erm I wish. A lot of work goes into things before that bit can happen.

v1.2.1 will drop when it's ready, I'm using a Kanban board and I don't mind sharing it (it's on Trello) if people want to see the work happening/to happen etc.

Cheers,
MBM