PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason we can't minimize?

Sigurd
May 21st, 2007, 01:06
I sometimes have the Server open as the dm and a client open for a player\npc at the same time. It would be great to be able to minimize the program on the client instance.

It makes me curious, what is the reason that FG won't minimize? Why does it insist on covering the Start Toolbar? It is almost alone in this shortfall on my machine and I was wondering if this was a point of concern for anyone among the developers?

Sigurd

acmer
May 21st, 2007, 08:55
Can't you use the program windowed and stretch it to the edges? Alt-Tab? Of course, as FG is a "light" program, it would be nice to be able to minimize it from fullscreen.

sunbeam60
May 21st, 2007, 09:20
Search for the answer (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3953)

Sigurd
May 21st, 2007, 13:21
Thanks to Dupre for this....

We did indeed disable it on purpose in order to focus on more urgent issues. This is a nice to have feature and we will get around to it.

It's not a problem with textures, but rather creating new surfaces when there is no device. You can expect problems if a player has minimized the application and the GM shares a map. It requires message queuing etc., but for now we're focused on getting 1.06 out the window and this won't be part of it I'm sorry to say.

1.06 became V2. I guess I just wonder if more than a year later this has a place on one of those developer lists?

Goblin-King
May 31st, 2007, 07:40
I guess I just wonder if more than a year later this has a place on one of those developer lists?

It does. It's burdened by the fact that it's a bit of work, and isolated from all other issues, but we do want to get it done.

Rene Mongrain
December 4th, 2018, 22:49
It does. It's burdened by the fact that it's a bit of work, and isolated from all other issues, but we do want to get it done.

Good. It's been 11 years. How's the minimize function going?

Trenloe
December 4th, 2018, 22:52
Good. It's been 11 years. How's the minimize function going?
Welcome to the FG forums.

Yep, 11 years and those developers are no longer involved with the company.

Minimize functionality was added for a while, but it caused errors with the DirectX implementation. So the functionality was removed.

EDIT: if it’s an important feature for you, vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=66541

celestian
December 4th, 2018, 23:02
Welcome to the FG forums.

Yep, 11 years and those developers are no longer involved with the company.

Minimize functionality was added for a while, but it caused errors with the DirectX implementation. So the functionality was removed.

EDIT: if it’s an important feature for you, vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=66541

In the meantime if you're running windows you can use the Task View and place FG in another virtual desktop.

Moon Wizard
December 4th, 2018, 23:21
Also, if you hit the Windows Show Desktop button in the lower right of your Windows desktop on the Taskbar, it let's you see your full desktop without any applications in the way.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
December 5th, 2018, 03:51
Also, if you hit the Windows Show Desktop button in the lower right of your Windows desktop on the Taskbar, it let's you see your full desktop without any applications in the way.

Regards,
JPG
Or use the Window-D combination as a shortcut to display desktop only :)

ThaKaptin
July 21st, 2019, 23:59
Or use the Window-D combination as a shortcut to display desktop only :)

This just changed my life. I love you anonymous internet stranger.