PDA

View Full Version : unable to add spell action

steff
November 19th, 2020, 16:44
This is so weird.

In PFRPG, I am simply trying to add a spell action for the spell 'shield' and it won't let me. every time i click 'add effect' from the radial menu, it adds a cast button.. no effect for me to put in the code. if i click on that cast button, it spits out an error 'unable to encode effect details'

it does the same thing if i try the other radial buttons on that menu (cast, damage, heal).

is anyone else seeing this?

LordEntrails
November 19th, 2020, 16:59
MOD: moved to PF forums for best support.

Trenloe
November 19th, 2020, 17:00
is anyone else seeing this?
Nope. I can add an effect action to the shield spell in a spell class on the actions tab.

Are you running any extensions?

What versions are showing for the three rulesets loaded in the chat window?

Trenloe
November 19th, 2020, 17:03
if i click on that cast button, it spits out an error 'unable to encode effect details'
That sounds like it's adding the effect, but it's not displaying correctly.

Check the things I mentioned in my previous post.

Also try scrolling up and down the Actions tab (just in case it's a display refresh issue). Also try closing the PC sheet (I assume it's a PC sheet and not an NPC sheet?) and re-open it.

steff
November 19th, 2020, 17:22
Ver says 3.3.12

This is to an NPC sheet. I had not tried a character sheet.

Now that is interesting.

i am able to add spell effects to a PC sheet with no problem. But the NPC sheets will not accept spell effects.

it adds the cast button but like i said, there is no code attached to it. just gives the error when pressed.

the only extension i am running is FG - Dungeon. i don't have any other extensions going on.

confirmed it is all NPC sheets. not just the one.

bmos
November 19th, 2020, 17:36
This is to an NPC sheet. I had not tried a character sheet.Did you open the NPC from the combat tracker or from the library/npc list?
Is this a new NPC that you have made from scratch or one from a module?

steff
November 19th, 2020, 18:03
NPC's are from the Curse of the Crimson Throne module.

i opened them from the story link and from the library... same results.

BUT.. i open from combat tracker and the built in effect was broken. i was able to delete and then add it back in and it seemed to work ok but still unable to add the effect when the NPC is opened from the library.

bmos
November 19th, 2020, 18:17
Ver says 3.3.12PF1e should say 3.3.12
3.5E should also say 3.3.12
CoreRPG should say 3.3.12A

steff
November 19th, 2020, 18:24
yup.

all versions current.

bmos
November 19th, 2020, 18:31
I have replicated the issue.
It occurs when adding an action to a spell of an NPC in an unlocked module.
It does not occur when adding a spell to an NPC in the local db.

I think there must be more to this, however, as I would expect Curse of the Crimson Throne to be a locked module...

Trenloe
November 19th, 2020, 19:10
I have replicated the issue.
It occurs when adding an action to a spell of an NPC in an unlocked module.
It does not occur when adding a spell to an NPC in the local db.

I think there must be more to this, however, as I would expect Curse of the Crimson Throne to be a locked module...
Adventure modules specifically don't have their data set to read only (at least that is the guidelines from SmiteWorks), whereas base rules modules (bestiaries, etc.) should have their data set as read only. Assuming you mean read-only when you say "locked module".

I can't recreate the issue with a NPC from CotCT. Can you provide a screenshot showing exactly the issue please?

steff
November 19th, 2020, 19:18
interesting... confirmed it did the same thing in Rise of the Runelords.

it will let me edit the NPC (add/subtract spells) with no problem.. just no effects.

i can work around this but just thought you should know.

thanks for the time.

Trenloe
November 19th, 2020, 19:32
interesting... confirmed it did the same thing in Rise of the Runelords.

it will let me edit the NPC (add/subtract spells) with no problem.. just no effects.

i can work around this but just thought you should know.
Thanks for reporting. I can't recreate the issue, so was asking for more info so that the relevant dev might be able to look into it further.

One question for you and @bmos - are you testing in FGU or FGC? I think this was originally posted in the House of Healing - Unity sub-forum? I've been testing in FGC, so it may be a Unity issue - which would be good to find out.

steff
November 19th, 2020, 19:33
FGU here.

Kelrugem
November 19th, 2020, 19:44
Indeed, I can confirm this behaviour in FGU (tested an NPC of the mini dungeon tome) :) Just add a spell to the actions tab and then add effect :) Not a problem in FGC

Trenloe
November 19th, 2020, 19:57
Thanks for confirming it occurs in FGU. One for the developers.

bmos
November 19th, 2020, 20:03
I almost brought up Unity/Classic in my post, looks like I should have!
As is likely obvious now, it was indeed Unity which I was using.

bmos
November 21st, 2020, 11:54
Perhaps this should be moved to House of Healing - Unity?

superteddy57
November 23rd, 2020, 22:22
Ticket created (FGU-1398) to have it investigated. Thank you for the report.