PDA

View Full Version : [extension] Spell Tokens Extension

bratch9
November 19th, 2020, 12:11
This extension is now on www.dmsguild.com 'Fantasy Grounds Spell Tokens' (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/326932/Fantasy-Grounds-Spell-Tokens-extension)
My other extensions can be found on www.dmsguild.com 'Bratch Nine' (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=&author=Bratch+Nine&artist=&pfrom=&pto=)
RULESET : 5E

This extension is designed to allow tokens to be applied and dragged onto the map a character is on.

I'll add more information at a later date, as people are asking for a thread to post issues away from the dms guild...

Note. Extra ruleset support has been removed due to hosting requirements on DMS Guild. I'm not sure when/how this we get resolved but I will look into options.

NOTE. for support on rulesets 3.5E, PFRPG, PFRPG2, SFRPG

For now you need to do some work by hand, on windows you can rename the '2797083-5E_B9_SpellTokens.ext' file to '.zip' ( you might need to turn on extension in your windows folder properties to see these.. )
Once the extension has a zip extension, you can 'double click' and open the extension into the window 'virtual folder' view of zip files, as if you had extracted it into directory.
You can then drag the below 'extension.xml' file into the 'virtual folder' for the zip, ( or even direct onto the '2797083-5E_B9_SpellTokens.zip' file ) and windows will ask you if you want to replace the file. ( Select the yes option. )
Once this is done you can rename back to '.ext' and all should be good to go on the other rulesets.

NOTE. I've also included the Starfinder module ( spells with token names ) and ShipGridToken.xml that was part of the DMsGuild files. The 'spells' in the module should allow you to drag at 'large' token which has the 'forward' and arc marks. ( see sf_grid.jpg )

Raddu
November 24th, 2020, 17:26
I just got this from the Guild, which one is the most up to date extension?
5E_B9_SpellTokens.ext
or
5E_B9_SpellTokens_v1.8.ext
?

Weissrolf
November 26th, 2020, 01:13
Ahoi, I am using FGU.

I set up 'Alarm' and 'Alarm (3rd)' with different tokens, and when I rename the spell and reparse it goes between both tokens..
For some reason seems to work now, but only when the GM reparses the spell action (not the player).

I'm not sure how to set up this 'locked' mode you talk about, is this a FGU or a FGC ?
https://i.imgur.com/FG1zJbw.png

Testing token size seems to be set for me when I drag from a character spell onto the map, again this is FGU. ( Are you using FGC ? )
I originally did not use the new v2 Assets Spell Token size feature. The new feature handles this correctly now and is greatly appreciated. Thanks for that.

To delete a toke from a spell, at the moment, you would have to go into the 'spell token' in the assets section and create a new line with the name of the spell, and leave its token in the 'empty' state.. then re-parse the spell on the character sheet. ( I've added a bug to my list to clear the slot if the associated line in the spell token is removed when re-parsed on the character sheet. )
I originally used v1.8 where all spell actions had a spell token slot, the new system and coming bug fix sounds perfect. Still have to figure out how to calculate the size without having to do trial & error.

- Where do I find that "Fantasy Grounds Spell Tokens" pack you mention in your product description? A search only points to your extension page here, so I suspect that it is listed under a different name?!

- Spell tokens are placed behind PC tokens, but they are placed in front of all others tokens (especially NPCs) and thus cover them. This is the main problem that keeps me from using the extension.

bratch9
November 26th, 2020, 11:30
Ahoi, I am using FGU.

For some reason seems to work now, but only when the GM reparses the spell action (not the player).

https://i.imgur.com/FG1zJbw.png

I originally did not use the new v2 Assets Spell Token size feature. The new feature handles this correctly now and is greatly appreciated. Thanks for that.

I originally used v1.8 where all spell actions had a spell token slot, the new system and coming bug fix sounds perfect. Still have to figure out how to calculate the size without having to do trial & error.

- Where do I find that "Fantasy Grounds Spell Tokens" pack you mention in your product description? A search only points to your extension page here, so I suspect that it is listed under a different name?!

- Spell tokens are placed behind PC tokens, but they are placed in front of all others tokens (especially NPCs) and thus cover them. This is the main problem that keeps me from using the extension.

I've added a note to check client re-parse for issues.

I'll have a look to see if I can place them under the NPC.

Default token settings are for https://www.dmsguild.com/product/195599/DUNGEONS-AND-DRAGONS-5e-Spell-Tokens-21 if you want to used these in more then the 5E ruleset you need to edit the 'definition.xml' to add the extra rulesets ( see attached file. )

-pete

bratch9
November 26th, 2020, 11:31
I just got this from the Guild, which one is the most up to date extension?
5E_B9_SpellTokens.ext
or
5E_B9_SpellTokens_v1.8.ext
?

5E_B9_SpellTokens.ext is the most upto date.

(5E_B9_SpellTokens_v1.8.ext is the older basic 5E only ruleset version for people who dont want to upgrade while the new version gets 'bug fixed' and 'suggestions' added.. )

Weissrolf
November 26th, 2020, 12:57
I'll have a look to see if I can place them under the NPC.
That would be great, thanks!

Default token settings are for https://www.dmsguild.com/product/195599/DUNGEONS-AND-DRAGONS-5e-Spell-Tokens-21 if you want to used these in more then the 5E ruleset you need to edit the 'definition.xml' to add the extra rulesets ( see attached file. )
These look gorgeous, thanks for the updated definition file. Unfortunately they lack grids for Pathfinder, but I may still get them.

bratch9
November 29th, 2020, 20:03
That would be great, thanks!

These look gorgeous, thanks for the updated definition file. Unfortunately they lack grids for Pathfinder, but I may still get them.

Why would tokens need grids ? ( Sorry not a pathfinder player.. )

Weissrolf
November 29th, 2020, 20:17
Like in olden DnD area effects in Pathfinder are not circle based, but grid-based. And the area is smaller in PF compared to DnD.

Main problem remains that fact that FGU places non CT tokens over CT NPC tokens and thus covers/buries them underneath. It's not the fault of the extension and Diablob's similar spell token extension suffers from the same issue.

bratch9
November 29th, 2020, 22:52
Like in olden DnD area effects in Pathfinder are not circle based, but grid-based. And the area is smaller in PF compared to DnD.

Main problem remains that fact that FGU places non CT tokens over CT NPC tokens and thus covers/buries them underneath. It's not the fault of the extension and Diablob's similar spell token extension suffers from the same issue.

Tokens are worse, been looking at it... FGC actually places CT NPC over CT Player tokens, and FGU placed CT Player tokens over CT NPC... And I can not find the 'how' they do this to even think about a fix. ( I suspect it goes outside the lua scripts into code we dont have control over.. )

Some of the spell tokens in the pack are square, but the tokens are mainly D&D and not specific for Pathfinder.. Size and Alpha mask configures these things.. so maybe we need to fix a set of token for Pathfinder that work.. ( I'm not an artist so it not anything I can do.. )

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2020, 00:36
Tokens should be in order added to map (on initial add); and last one moved is on top. It should have nothing to do with whether they are in the CT or not.

JPG

Weissrolf
November 30th, 2020, 01:22
Tokens should be in order added to map (on initial add); and last one moved is on top. It should have nothing to do with whether they are in the CT or not.
I did a quick test in an empty campaign. Curiously CT PC tokens also get covered by non CT tokens there, so now every CT token is covered by non CT ones.

In the following image I put the non CT token first, then the CT NPC and then the CT PC. As you can see the CT PC is at the bottom, the CT NPC on top of the CT PC and the non CT token on top of both.

https://i.imgur.com/9CIhCkX.png

Both CT PC and NPC follow FG's token stacking rule : last token to move is put at the bottom of the stack, not on top. The non CT token always stays on top of the CT ones regardless of what is moved where.

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2020, 09:01
I've filed a ticket for Carl to look at the issue. The stacking should be last one moved is on top, not bottom.

Regards,
JPG

Weissrolf
November 30th, 2020, 10:49
Thanks, but the worse problem remains that non CT tokens keep covering CT ones. Curiously they only covers NPC CT tokens in my full PF2 campaign (extensions and all), PC CT tokens stay on top non CT tokens in that campaign. But in the empty campaign I used for the screenshots it works differently.

bratch9
November 30th, 2020, 12:44
Ive added a test.zip which has my 'campaigns' and 'cache' for for a FGU 5E game, and some start/end pngs from token not covered, to moving the fireball spell token over the npc and pc token.

You can see from the images that on FGU the PC token normally stays on top, with the npc token stays at the back, while you drag the fireball token about 'between' them.. This seems to be the same on the client and gm side.

What I'd like is a new access function, say 'tokeninstance.setAtBack(true);' to always force these to the back of the stack.. ( like the 'tokeninstance.setVisible(true);' function. )

[ note, FGC seems to stack in a different order with npc tokens on top of pc tokens.. its very odd.. ]

(This was created with my extension, but now the token is on the map my extension is not required so I've turned it off for the campaigns... as my extension creates a public/non owned token that allows players to move the token without moving the LOS around... its an odd configuration to try and make the best visual/access as possible.. ive attached the 'FG Battle Maps.xml', which is also in the zip file.)

-pete

Lino
December 16th, 2020, 00:15
Hi, I have laoded the extention and all the Spells' tokens of the 5e Spell Tokens 2.1; I can see the tokens in the PCs action tab, but when I drag them on a map set with a grid the tokens don't appear; the same from the Spell Token Config.

Larsenex
December 16th, 2020, 01:40
Tokens are worse, been looking at it... FGC actually places CT NPC over CT Player tokens, and FGU placed CT Player tokens over CT NPC... And I can not find the 'how' they do this to even think about a fix. ( I suspect it goes outside the lua scripts into code we dont have control over.. )

Some of the spell tokens in the pack are square, but the tokens are mainly D&D and not specific for Pathfinder.. Size and Alpha mask configures these things.. so maybe we need to fix a set of token for Pathfinder that work.. ( I'm not an artist so it not anything I can do.. )

If you made Pathfinder 2E specific extension for this I would purchase it immediately.

Lino
December 16th, 2020, 10:48
Hi, I have laoded the extention and all the Spells' tokens of the 5e Spell Tokens 2.1; I can see the tokens in the PCs action tab, but when I drag them on a map set with a grid the tokens don't appear; the same from the Spell Token Config.

Sorry, I forgot to write I use FGU and I play 5E D&D.

If I drag a spell token it doesn't appear on the map.

nix4
December 18th, 2020, 05:18
Greetings, unable to get this to work in Fantasy Grounds Unity under the 1e Pathfinder Ruleset. Is this compatible? Looks to be 5e but the GMGuild extension says that it supports PFSRD. *.ext file is loaded into the correct folder, launcher selection for extension updated..but I see nothing for adding tokens as shown in screenshots for players spells...

Frodie
December 19th, 2020, 18:37
Where do the xml files go?

bratch9
December 19th, 2020, 19:02
Where do the xml files go?

xml files go any place you like, when you use the 'import' button a 'file folder explorer' opens and you can navigate to the location you have the file.

-pete

bratch9
December 19th, 2020, 19:13
Sorry, I forgot to write I use FGU and I play 5E D&D.

If I drag a spell token it doesn't appear on the map.

I'm not sure on your issue, maybe a extension compat issue.. I see you have a few loaded but could not see which version of the spells tokens you have loaded..

See attached image, I can drag from both gm and player side and all seems ok.

are you using v2.2 ?

could you try on a new game with just this extension ?

-pete

bratch9
December 19th, 2020, 19:23
Greetings, unable to get this to work in Fantasy Grounds Unity under the 1e Pathfinder Ruleset. Is this compatible? Looks to be 5e but the GMGuild extension says that it supports PFSRD. *.ext file is loaded into the correct folder, launcher selection for extension updated..but I see nothing for adding tokens as shown in screenshots for players spells...

v2.2 should work with pf 1e, see attached..

the main issue you will have is actual graphics tokens, as the best set available is for 5e.

for this I have the module with the 5e graphics for tokens 'edited' to allow them on pf 1e and load up the 5e spell tokens xml file... this allows spells like 'fireball' that exist in both to work and show up.

now getting actual pf 1e graphic versions with the correct radius to setup with the extension is not something I can sort out.. ( Been a programmer and not an artist !! )

so your ability to use might be limited to your own custom graphics for spells, which can be configured as you like..

-pete

bratch9
December 19th, 2020, 19:31
If you made Pathfinder 2E specific extension for this I would purchase it immediately.

the extension works fine under pf 2e, see attached..

the issue will be getting tokens specific for the spell of pf 2e. As you can see in this example I've loaded the 5e graphic tokens and used a common spell 'fireball' to show the spell tokens working. But I'm not sure its the correct size for pf2e fireball, as I dont think the 5e fireball is the same radius.. ( not sure.. )

as a programmer, the extension works, as NOT an artist I can not provide any pathfinder specific token graphics... ( sorry.. )

-pete

Frodie
December 19th, 2020, 20:13
Cool, the "import" button the same as importing character xml?
Edit, sorry I found it on the spell button under assets. Thank you!

Lino
December 20th, 2020, 12:13
I'm not sure on your issue, maybe a extension compat issue.. I see you have a few loaded but could not see which version of the spells tokens you have loaded..

See attached image, I can drag from both gm and player side and all seems ok.

are you using v2.2 ?

could you try on a new game with just this extension ?

-pete

Tried with a new campaign with jut your EXT and the Spell Token 2.2, sadly nothing happens. it's really wierd.

bratch9
December 20th, 2020, 14:45
Tried with a new campaign with jut your EXT and the Spell Token 2.2, sadly nothing happens. it's really wierd.

Hi,
Can you you attach a zip of a new campaign with the spelltokens.xml imported with just my mod and a new character with a spell on ( eg fireball, or spirit guardian ).. Just load 'SRD' 5e or 'player's handbook'.

Can you use a map from the 'fg battle maps', say 'battlemap01'..

Can you drag a token from the player character onto the map, even if it does not show this is also helpful... as it could still be added to the map but be invisible.. ( I can see this data in the 'campaign/moduledb/FG Battle Maps.xml file to see if its got some 'odd' settings that is causing you an issue, or if its not in the data at all. )

Also can you check you have 'visibility' turned on ? ( I know a silly question, but check 'right click' on the map and on the radial check the 'oval eye' (visibility) radial and then use the show always option... just to try and rule out a visibility issue.. )

Also if it does not show up, can you type the '/console' command in chat to show this and attach an image... so I can see if Fantasy grounds is giving an message of some sort...

From the past images it looks like you are using an upto date 5e ruleset on FGU, so I dont see why it would not work with a clean new campaign.

( just go to your '<user>AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns' folder [ or go into the 'settings' app and select the 'advanced tab' this should list your 'data directory' to see the install location, which you should know if you are adding mod/extensions anyway !! ] and just zip the single 'campaign name' folder tree for the new campaign you made... if you call it '5e_spelltoken' when you make it, it will be in '<user>AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns\5e_spelltoken' )

Thanks, -pete

Lino
December 21st, 2020, 08:51
Hi,
Can you you attach a zip of a new campaign with the spelltokens.xml imported with just my mod and a new character with a spell on ( eg fireball, or spirit guardian ).. Just load 'SRD' 5e or 'player's handbook'.

Can you drag a token from the player character onto the map, even if it does not show this is also helpful... as it could still be added to the map but be invisible.. ( I can see this data in the 'campaign/moduledb/FG Battle Maps.xml file to see if its got some 'odd' settings that is causing you an issue, or if its not in the data at all. )

Also can you check you have 'visibility' turned on ? ( I know a silly question, but check 'right click' on the map and on the radial check the 'oval eye' (visibility) radial and then use the show always option... just to try and rule out a visibility issue.. )

Also if it does not show up, can you type the '/console' command in chat to show this and attach an image... so I can see if Fantasy grounds is giving an message of some sort...

From the past images it looks like you are using an upto date 5e ruleset on FGU, so I dont see why it would not work with a clean new campaign.

( just go to your '<user>AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns' folder [ or go into the 'settings' app and select the 'advanced tab' this should list your 'data directory' to see the install location, which you should know if you are adding mod/extensions anyway !! ] and just zip the single 'campaign name' folder tree for the new campaign you made... if you call it '5e_spelltoken' when you make it, it will be in '<user>AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns\5e_spelltoken' )

Thanks, -pete
I’ll do in few days: I’m busy, sorry.

Lino
December 21st, 2020, 16:38
Hi,

Thanks, -pete

I guees I've done all.
Let me know if something misses.
Thanks.

bratch9
December 21st, 2020, 17:07

I guees I've done all.
Let me know if something misses.
Thanks.

Thanks, this all looks ok... and for me seems to work ok... see attached, from me dragging the token from the character sheet onto the map.

The only thing I changed, which I'll take a look at, was that I moved the game from private 'cloud' to 'lan' settings.. I would think that this does not cause an issue, but maybe it i causing some network message issue that I've not covered.

I'll take a look later to see if this is the case.. and have a look down the internal xml files of the campaign etc..

I just wanted to let you know I had a quick look and it does see odd that it is not working for you..

-pete

DM_BK
December 21st, 2020, 19:01
Any word on the issue with the spell tokens being on top of the other tokens on the map?

I could swear this was working correctly (spell tokens being below CT creatures) a few weeks ago and now it's not. But based on the timeline of this thread...seems like I imagined it working correctly and it never did?

I'm using FGU.

bratch9
December 22nd, 2020, 00:02
Any word on the issue with the spell tokens being on top of the other tokens on the map?

I could swear this was working correctly (spell tokens being below CT creatures) a few weeks ago and now it's not. But based on the timeline of this thread...seems like I imagined it working correctly and it never did?

I'm using FGU.

Just had a quick play with just normal player tokens, and FGU still is not dealing with token order. Its supposed to make the last moved token the top, but they are not changing layer order at all. This implies Spell Tokens will still do the same poor order.

The layer draw order is not controlled by the lua side, so this is waiting on a program update..

-pete

Lino
December 29th, 2020, 08:44
Thanks, this all looks ok... and for me seems to work ok... see attached, from me dragging the token from the character sheet onto the map.

The only thing I changed, which I'll take a look at, was that I moved the game from private 'cloud' to 'lan' settings.. I would think that this does not cause an issue, but maybe it i causing some network message issue that I've not covered.

I'll take a look later to see if this is the case.. and have a look down the internal xml files of the campaign etc..

I just wanted to let you know I had a quick look and it does see odd that it is not working for you..

-pete

Ok, I wait for your next deeper check.
In the meantime Iíll try a LAN campaign to see if it works.
Thanks.

bratch9
December 29th, 2020, 13:06
In the meantime Iíll try a LAN campaign to see if it works.
Thanks.

Hi, I've had a go with your provided zip in private cloud config as you provided, and it see all to work for me when I dm and client join from my single pc. putting tokens onto the map works for both player and client side and both can move them around.

Can I ask a silly question, you are trying to drag the token onto the map, and not expecting it to just magic its way onto the map when you cast a spell ?

Ive attached 'tokenadd2.jpg' which show that you need to drag the image from the character sheet onto the map or the image from the assets/config onto the map to make a 'dm/gm' token..

Let me know if you manage to get it working with the Lan side, the only other option is to provide some code you can add to the extension to add some debug output. Do you think you have the ability to unzip the extension and replace files and do some extra tests ?

Thanks,

Pete

bratch9
December 30th, 2020, 18:03
In the meantime I’ll try a LAN campaign to see if it works.
Thanks.

Hi,

I could only reproduce token not showing up, when the client had a map open ( ie double click the token to open up the map the player is actually on from the combat tracker ), while the DM did not have that map open, then when you drag on it does not work..

This is because players can not add a token to the map, so I have to send a message to the 'host' for the host(DM) to add the token.

So can I ask then you were having issues was this 'client/player' could not add the token to the map... and did you have the map closed at the DM side ? ( If so can you let me know if you can get tokens if the dm has the require map open that the client is adding to.. )

Thanks, pete

bratch9
December 30th, 2020, 20:18
In the meantime I’ll try a LAN campaign to see if it works.
Thanks.

Hi, I've updated spell token v2.5. This version now checks to see if the image/map is open at the dm/gm side or not. If not it will open add the token and then close the image/map.

let me know either way if this sorts out ( or not ) your missing token case.

-pete

Lino
December 31st, 2020, 13:28
Hi, I've had a go with your provided zip in private cloud config as you provided, and it see all to work for me when I dm and client join from my single pc. putting tokens onto the map works for both player and client side and both can move them around.

Can I ask a silly question, you are trying to drag the token onto the map, and not expecting it to just magic its way onto the map when you cast a spell ?

Ive attached 'tokenadd2.jpg' which show that you need to drag the image from the character sheet onto the map or the image from the assets/config onto the map to make a 'dm/gm' token..

Let me know if you manage to get it working with the Lan side, the only other option is to provide some code you can add to the extension to add some debug output. Do you think you have the ability to unzip the extension and replace files and do some extra tests ?

Thanks,

Pete

Hi, I've tried in Lan but it has the same issue.

There are no silly questions, but silly answers...:) So, I drag the token on the map from PC action tab.

Weissrolf
December 31st, 2020, 13:40
Any news from SW's side about tokens covering NPCs?

Lino
December 31st, 2020, 13:50
I tried your new updeted extention: sadly does the same to me.

I never used your extention as a client, but only as a DM/GM.

bratch9
December 31st, 2020, 14:25
Any news from SW's side about tokens covering NPCs?

No update about token covering.

I did some tests, and the released FGU still has the same issue. ( did not check the Dev build. )

Also sent direct message, maybe in the new year we might be able to sort this out.

( I've asked for a 'setAtBack' token function to make spell tokens behind everything.. Lets see what we get in the new year.. )

-pete

bratch9
December 31st, 2020, 14:30
I tried your new updeted extention: sadly does the same to me.

I never used your extention as a client, but only as a DM/GM.

Hi,

yep, you need to 'left click and hold' on the image on the character sheet and drag it onto the map. When you do this you should see the image of the token under the cursor ( its alpha'ed so might be faint ), and then when over the map release the left mouse button.

The same for 'GM/DM', if you open up the assets/spell token configuration page, you can also drag the token image onto the map to make 'gm/dm' on the map.

-pete

Lino
January 4th, 2021, 09:25
Hi,

yep, you need to 'left click and hold' on the image on the character sheet and drag it onto the map. When you do this you should see the image of the token under the cursor ( its alpha'ed so might be faint ), and then when over the map release the left mouse button.

The same for 'GM/DM', if you open up the assets/spell token configuration page, you can also drag the token image onto the map to make 'gm/dm' on the map.

-pete

What you suggest is what I always do and I see the faint image of the token while I drag it. But when I release it on the map it vanishes.

It works only when I drag tokens from the Asset window directly.

bratch9
January 4th, 2021, 14:57
What you suggest is what I always do and I see the faint image of the token while I drag it. But when I release it on the map it vanishes.

It works only when I drag tokens from the Asset window directly.

When you say 'assets' window, are you taking about 'assets' or are you talking 'assets/spell token configuration' window ?

ie do you get the correct size token with a 'spell token name (GM)' style helper text ? or do you just get a normal size token ?

I ask because I'm trying to narrow down what parts are working ? ( if you get the ''spell token name (gm)' and the correct size then I can focus on just the player side, otherwise it looks like the 'ondrop' not working in both cases.. )

Could you post an image of the 'assets' or 'assets/spell token configuration' side working ?

-pete

Lino
January 4th, 2021, 17:28
When you say 'assets' window, are you taking about 'assets' or are you talking 'assets/spell token configuration' window ?

ie do you get the correct size token with a 'spell token name (GM)' style helper text ? or do you just get a normal size token ?

I ask because I'm trying to narrow down what parts are working ? ( if you get the ''spell token name (gm)' and the correct size then I can focus on just the player side, otherwise it looks like the 'ondrop' not working in both cases.. )

Could you post an image of the 'assets' or 'assets/spell token configuration' side working ?

-pete

When I say "assets" I mean the "asset" window. This way it works but tokens haven't the correct size: just one feet square.

From "Spell tokens config." it doesn't work, as from the PC sheet.

bratch9
January 5th, 2021, 12:44
When I say "assets" I mean the "asset" window. This way it works but tokens haven't the correct size: just one feet square.

From "Spell tokens config." it doesn't work, as from the PC sheet.

Could you open a cmd window and type 'chcp' for me and let me know what code page your machine is in ? ( See attached codepage.png for mine. )

Can you also try without opening all the edit options on the image map, you see to have both open draw and edit open. ( I can see you are on the 'play' button mode, which should be ok. )

Thanks, pete

Lino
January 5th, 2021, 16:05
Could you open a cmd window and type 'chcp' for me and let me know what code page your machine is in ? ( See attached codepage.png for mine. )

Can you also try without opening all the edit options on the image map, you see to have both open draw and edit open. ( I can see you are on the 'play' button mode, which should be ok. )

Thanks, pete

Sorry, the same result.

bratch9
January 6th, 2021, 19:59

Sorry, the same result.

Hi Lino,

Can you update to the v2.5d of spell tokens, see ST_Debug.png.

I've added an option for 'Show Debug', please turn this on, and make a wide chat window, open your normal character and drop on a spell token onto a map.

If you can layout the windows so I can see the full debug, like in mine, this should give me a good indication of what location is processed or not in your game that then fails to add a spell token.

Thanks, Pete

Lino
January 7th, 2021, 09:48
Hi Lino,

Can you update to the v2.5d of spell tokens, see ST_Debug.png.

I've added an option for 'Show Debug', please turn this on, and make a wide chat window, open your normal character and drop on a spell token onto a map.

If you can layout the windows so I can see the full debug, like in mine, this should give me a good indication of what location is processed or not in your game that then fails to add a spell token.

Thanks, Pete

Now it works!
That's fine. I don't know what has happened or what you have done, but thanks!

Lino
January 7th, 2021, 10:18
Now it works!
That's fine. I don't know what has happened or what you have done, but thanks!

But it doesn't work with my actual campaign with all the other extensions...
See the attached image.

bratch9
January 7th, 2021, 17:44
See the attached image.

could you try that AAW map in the basic just my extension test campaign ? ( If it fails, that would be map image specific and I'd need to look at the map pack. )

if it works with just my mod, then you will need to try and pick half your extensions and disable them, try and see if it now works or not... and use this to try and cut back to which of the extensions you have turned on that is causing a conflict.

If we can get it to a specific extension causing issues, you could add that to the test campaign and see if it fails again in the my extension + other extension and let me know. ( I might have access to the other extension to see what is causing the conflict.. )

[ A 5e campaign I play in, uses a bunch of rob2e and madnomad and my spell token extension works fine, so it might be a version update/out of date issue or just an extension we dont use..)

bratch9
January 7th, 2021, 18:08
See the attached image.

while it does not look the case in the image, did you happen to try it while the map was 'maximised' ? ( and then changed that after the test to take the image ? )

Lino
January 7th, 2021, 18:48
Tested: it doesn't work when the map is maximized. the other way it works fine, even in my campaign full of extentions.

bratch9
January 7th, 2021, 19:22
Tested: it doesn't work when the map is maximized. the other way it works fine, even in my campaign full of extentions.

nice, I've got a fix for maximized and also pushed to desktop ( double maximized... )

just got to fix up a Starfinder rule set issue, due to a code change in the rule set.

should have an update later tonight.

bratch9
January 7th, 2021, 21:14

v2.6 is updated with support for maximized images when you drag on the token.

Give it a go, without the show debug enabled, and see if its working in all the cases you were having issues with. In both/all your campaigns with all extensions..

Let me know if its working, and if you find any other issues it fails to work in.

-pete

Lino
January 7th, 2021, 21:28
v2.6 is updated with support for maximized images when you drag on the token.

Give it a go, without the show debug enabled, and see if its working in all the cases you were having issues with. In both/all your campaigns with all extensions..

Let me know if its working, and if you find any other issues it fails to work in.

-pete

Wow! Faster than light!

I let you know soon, thanks.

Lino
January 7th, 2021, 21:44
Wow! Faster than light!

I let you know soon, thanks.

Now it works in all the situations.

Great job Pete!

MTFOoB
January 15th, 2021, 22:58
I may be dumb, but I cannot seem to get this extension to work at all for me. I thought that possibly one of my other extensions was interfering with this one, but I tried a fresh campaign with 5e rules and I do not see a spot for the spell tokens to go. The extension is in the extensions folder, not sure if there were additional steps that needed to be taken from there.

Any insight?

bratch9
January 16th, 2021, 13:07
I may be dumb, but I cannot seem to get this extension to work at all for me. I thought that possibly one of my other extensions was interfering with this one, but I tried a fresh campaign with 5e rules and I do not see a spot for the spell tokens to go. The extension is in the extensions folder, not sure if there were additional steps that needed to be taken from there.

Any insight?

Hi,

No problems asking for help when things dont work....

1. the extension does not come with token graphics, so I assume you have some custom graphics for tokens or you are using a token pack ?
2. the extension, if enabled, will show in the chat as loaded and give a version number. If this is not happening check the extensions enable for the campaign before you start etc.. ( But sounds like this is working for you. )
3. if you have the 5e token pack from 'gareth jensen' you need to 'import' the 'SpellTokens.xml' that comes with the extension download. ( It might have a prefix number depending on how you downloaded it off dms guild. )
4. to import, use 'assets' icon, normally bottom right menu bar, when this opens you should see a 'spell tokens' button on the top left of the assets page. Press this to get the 'spell tokens configuration' window. ( host only )
5. if you have 'gareth' token pack you can use the 'import spell token xml' button on the bottom of the 'spell tokens configuration' page and point the folder/file popup to the location of the 'spelltokens.xml'
6. if you have your own custom graphics, then in the 'spell token configuration' page you can 'right click' to show the radial menu and on the 'south' selection should be 'add', which will add a new line. You need set up the name you want and the resolution per 5 feet and drag a token from the 'assets' page ( selected to you token so you can see it.. ) and drag that token into the 'spell tokens configuration' page onto the blank 'circle' empty token space.
7. (after 5 or 6 ), you should be seeing a list of 'spell tokens' in the 'spell token configuration' page.

you are now 'configured'...

on the character sheet, add a 'power' or a 'spell' with the name that is configured in the 'spell tokens configuration' page, and you should see the token show up on the character sheet to the right of the 'name'. If you 'added' a power, once you set the 'name' you will have to 'reparse' the spell on the right-click radial option, so the system can re-check the final power/spell name you picked....

if you drag on a 'spell' from the spell page for a configured token, it should show without the need to reparse. ( reparse only if you edit the name of the power/spell.. )

now you should have tokens on the character sheet...

once a character is on a 'map' host/dm, you should now be able to drag the token from the character sheet onto the map and it should place and resize as defined in the configuration.

I hope this helps you find the missing steps and sorts out your issue.

If you still have issue, please post a follow up with some images of a new campaign.. its good to try and show the 'chat' windows with the spell tokens version number and the ruleset version numbers, the spell token configuration window ( scroll to the same spell/power as the character sheet ), a character sheet on the actions tab with the spell/power configured as you expect and maybe a map. ( Depends on what stage you have issue etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

bratch9
January 16th, 2021, 13:15
New Fantasy Grounds Unity release, with notes about token draw order....

So I'll try and do some test to see if this improves or not the token order or not on the map... Let hope it does, if not I'll have to have a look see if I can 'influence' it in some way !!

-pete

FGU release notes..

Version 4.0.7 (2021-01)
Token widgets would sometimes draw out of order. Fixed.

bratch9
January 17th, 2021, 12:38
New Fantasy Grounds Unity release, with notes about token draw order....

So I'll try and do some test to see if this improves or not the token order or not on the map... Let hope it does, if not I'll have to have a look see if I can 'influence' it in some way !!

-pete

FGU release notes..

Version 4.0.7 (2021-01)
Token widgets would sometimes draw out of order. Fixed.

So I had a look an FGU updates does not resolve the draw order of tokens on maps, it still seems that when you move a token it ends up bellow other tokens, which can cause issue for selection.

-pete

Weissrolf
January 17th, 2021, 17:27
As was just emphasized in another thread: Proper stacking and convenient handling of spell tokens on maps is low priority for Fantasy Grounds (VTT + maps + tokens = low priority).

Seems like we have to live with that until better options come along.

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2021, 19:27
The challenge right now is that the token ordering code is in the middle of a huge refactoring that cpinder is working on for lighting/vision; so any updates to any image/token logic are gated right now.

Regards,
JPG

Weissrolf
January 17th, 2021, 20:36
Thanks for the useful and comprehensible information.

bratch9
January 17th, 2021, 22:17
The challenge right now is that the token ordering code is in the middle of a huge refactoring that cpinder is working on for lighting/vision; so any updates to any image/token logic are gated right now.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the status update JPG.

-pete

MTFOoB
January 18th, 2021, 14:06
Hi,

No problems asking for help when things dont work....

1. the extension does not come with token graphics, so I assume you have some custom graphics for tokens or you are using a token pack ?
2. the extension, if enabled, will show in the chat as loaded and give a version number. If this is not happening check the extensions enable for the campaign before you start etc.. ( But sounds like this is working for you. )
3. if you have the 5e token pack from 'gareth jensen' you need to 'import' the 'SpellTokens.xml' that comes with the extension download. ( It might have a prefix number depending on how you downloaded it off dms guild. )
4. to import, use 'assets' icon, normally bottom right menu bar, when this opens you should see a 'spell tokens' button on the top left of the assets page. Press this to get the 'spell tokens configuration' window. ( host only )
5. if you have 'gareth' token pack you can use the 'import spell token xml' button on the bottom of the 'spell tokens configuration' page and point the folder/file popup to the location of the 'spelltokens.xml'
6. if you have your own custom graphics, then in the 'spell token configuration' page you can 'right click' to show the radial menu and on the 'south' selection should be 'add', which will add a new line. You need set up the name you want and the resolution per 5 feet and drag a token from the 'assets' page ( selected to you token so you can see it.. ) and drag that token into the 'spell tokens configuration' page onto the blank 'circle' empty token space.
7. (after 5 or 6 ), you should be seeing a list of 'spell tokens' in the 'spell token configuration' page.

you are now 'configured'...

on the character sheet, add a 'power' or a 'spell' with the name that is configured in the 'spell tokens configuration' page, and you should see the token show up on the character sheet to the right of the 'name'. If you 'added' a power, once you set the 'name' you will have to 'reparse' the spell on the right-click radial option, so the system can re-check the final power/spell name you picked....

if you drag on a 'spell' from the spell page for a configured token, it should show without the need to reparse. ( reparse only if you edit the name of the power/spell.. )

now you should have tokens on the character sheet...

once a character is on a 'map' host/dm, you should now be able to drag the token from the character sheet onto the map and it should place and resize as defined in the configuration.

I hope this helps you find the missing steps and sorts out your issue.

If you still have issue, please post a follow up with some images of a new campaign.. its good to try and show the 'chat' windows with the spell tokens version number and the ruleset version numbers, the spell token configuration window ( scroll to the same spell/power as the character sheet ), a character sheet on the actions tab with the spell/power configured as you expect and maybe a map. ( Depends on what stage you have issue etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

Thank you for the detailed response. I fiddled with it some more and finally figured it out. I was searching for the button labeled "assets" and was convinced that things were not functioning properly because of its absence. But, the spell tokens button is actually located under "tokens" for me (snip attached). Once I found that everything has been smooth sailing. :)

bratch9
January 18th, 2021, 14:47
Thank you for the detailed response. I fiddled with it some more and finally figured it out. I was searching for the button labeled "assets" and was convinced that things were not functioning properly because of its absence. But, the spell tokens button is actually located under "tokens" for me (snip attached). Once I found that everything has been smooth sailing. :)

The name depends of rule set and theme and version of fantasy grounds.

FG unity uses 'assets' in 5e, while FG classic uses 'tokens' in 5e.

From your image you are using FG classic.

Good that you sorted it out.

( I've made a note to update site information with some extra details. )

-pete

MTFOoB
January 29th, 2021, 23:29
Following up, I am now able to apply the tokens to spells, but dragging them and dropping them on a map does nothing. I started a brand new game with only this extension active and it worked.

After troubleshooting, it seems that the extension that is causing a conflict is the CoreRPG Token Helper, which is necessary for the Combat Enhancer for 5E Classic extension to work. I don't expect you to try to fix this, just letting you know in case others purchase before knowing that this is an issue. Snip attached of the debug text.

bratch9
January 30th, 2021, 14:06
Following up, I am now able to apply the tokens to spells, but dragging them and dropping them on a map does nothing. I started a brand new game with only this extension active and it worked.

After troubleshooting, it seems that the extension that is causing a conflict is the CoreRPG Token Helper, which is necessary for the Combat Enhancer for 5E Classic extension to work. I don't expect you to try to fix this, just letting you know in case others purchase before knowing that this is an issue. Snip attached of the debug text.

I'll take a look, conflicts with other extensions that touch the same area of code can always cause issues.

-pete

bratch9
January 30th, 2021, 14:45

Hi, had a quick look at see attached seems to be working. Do I need to do anything in 'coreRPG token Helper' to 'enable' it, could you attach a campaign zip with the minimum 2 extensions you said has the issue ?

Can you tell me the version numbers of extensions, ie screen shot like in mine that shows the initial chat window etc..

thanks, Pete

bratch9
February 4th, 2021, 21:46
Just letting everybody know, that I added code to select targets when covered by a spell token.

With FG unity the tool tip will show you what it thinks is under the cursor, with a '-' for non spell tokens and a '*' marking spell tokens.

Spell tokens are considered when they end in a 'name (name)' style, as marked by my extension.

I could not get FG classic tool tips to show this information, I'll take a further look at some point, but the selection still works.

Todo,

1. I'd like to extend the 'heal/damage' drag from chat onto a token, to also take the cursor token stack selection into account. So you can drag damage onto a token that is covered with a spell token.
2. I'd like to all 'drag' group of token that are under the spell token, while leaving the spell token. ( Not sure if I can keep the spell token in place as it will be the 'drag' item, or if I'll have to 'pop' it back to its old place...I need to look at what I can do with the code. )

Known Bugs,

1. FGU tokens with non square aspect are not reported correctly. ( I need to report this due to data been passed to the required functions is wrong.. )
2. If you have multiple maps open it can get confused with the cursor. ( You would expect it to only report updates to the map the cursor is over, but this does not seem to be the case !! )

If you have any feedback, let me know, this should work on 3.5,PF1,PF2,Starfinder if you replace the extension.xml as per the top of the thread.

thanks, Pete

SirMotte
February 20th, 2021, 01:38
Just letting everybody know, that I added code to select targets when covered by a spell token.

With FG unity the tool tip will show you what it thinks is under the cursor, with a '-' for non spell tokens and a '*' marking spell tokens.

Spell tokens are considered when they end in a 'name (name)' style, as marked by my extension.

I could not get FG classic tool tips to show this information, I'll take a further look at some point, but the selection still works.

Todo,

1. I'd like to extend the 'heal/damage' drag from chat onto a token, to also take the cursor token stack selection into account. So you can drag damage onto a token that is covered with a spell token.
2. I'd like to all 'drag' group of token that are under the spell token, while leaving the spell token. ( Not sure if I can keep the spell token in place as it will be the 'drag' item, or if I'll have to 'pop' it back to its old place...I need to look at what I can do with the code. )

Known Bugs,

1. FGU tokens with non square aspect are not reported correctly. ( I need to report this due to data been passed to the required functions is wrong.. )
2. If you have multiple maps open it can get confused with the cursor. ( You would expect it to only report updates to the map the cursor is over, but this does not seem to be the case !! )

If you have any feedback, let me know, this should work on 3.5,PF1,PF2,Starfinder if you replace the extension.xml as per the top of the thread.

thanks, Pete

I can't seem to get targeting working, could you elaborate in a little more detail on how to make this happen? Do you mean, that the caster is able to target affected tokens in the CT or is this purely of informative nature using tooltips?
Everything else works fine and is a true timesaver, thanks!

bratch9
February 20th, 2021, 11:29
I can't seem to get targeting working, could you elaborate in a little more detail on how to make this happen? Do you mean, that the caster is able to target affected tokens in the CT or is this purely of informative nature using tooltips?
Everything else works fine and is a true timesaver, thanks!

Hi,

Sure I can go into a little more details, this is not about AUTO 'selecting' the targets under a spell token for a spell. Its a quality of life fix for when you have spell tokens over npc/player tokens.

To enable you need to use the option, as by default I do not want to 'break' or cause 'issues' when users are playing. ( ie, turn on if you are happy it might cause some issues, it should not but I can not test every combinations and with extensions this is a near impossible combination to deal with !! )

When this extra part of the extension is disabled, trying to 'select' by 'ctrl click' on a token on the map will normally try and select the big spell token, so you end up having to 'move' the spell token to select items under it, and put the spell token back. ( Or you can just use the combat tracker window to do your selections and avoid the 'ctrl click' on the map issue.. )

When you enable this part of the extension, I do a much more complex search under the cursor and make a combined tool tip showing multiple items..

And when you 'ctrl click', the system will apply the tokens that are not detected as spell tokens onto/off your selected targets as if the spell token was not 'blocking' your selection.

In the above 'ctrl click' image Ive added a big read arrow for the approx location the mouse cursor was not captured in the images !!

Hence while this part of the extension will not 'auto select' targets under a spell token, you can now quickly 'ctrl-click' the required targets that happen to be 'under' the spell token.

As I have also said, I'm going to look into been able to 'drag' the token(s) under the spell token, and allow the normal 'drag on attack/damage from character/chat etc' onto the tokens 'under' the spell token.

While this is a much more complex solution, because FG has not given us a priority api call for tokens to push spell tokens to the back, its the most user workable way to deal with spell tokens and interactions with tokens. It also depends if you are in FG Unity or FG Classic because the spell tokens layer priority changes between product causing even more pain. As talked about earlier in this thread FG are doing a bunch of work on their 'spell templates', and this is also blocking work on getting the layer priority for FGU and FGC to match and/or possible api additions.

So in reality, I'd prefer to get an api fix to allow my spell tokens to work correctly without having re-write all the target/selection/drop code for tokens.. While trying to 'push' the quality of my solution up, to also try and drive the quality of the FG 'spell templates' solution... ( Like letting players add 'spell templates' and bulk targeting selection of tokens under a 'spell template' etc... ) As I totally expect my extension to be 'replaced' by the new in development built in system of 'spell templates', but i'm not holding my breath on this....

Hope this helps

-Pete

SirMotte
February 20th, 2021, 19:18
Now I get it, thanks for the in depth reply. Looks like I misunderstood. With the ability to hotkey options entries now, quickly changing behavior is no big deal in case something weird is happening. Nice!

bratch9
February 20th, 2021, 20:28
Now I get it, thanks for the in depth reply. Looks like I misunderstood. With the option to hotkey options entries now, quickly changing behavior is no big deal in case something weird is happening. Nice!

Options exist to 'spell automate' and the 'select under spell tokens'.. like 5e_spell_automate and critically_awesome, the problem with these its they dont do a fantastic job. Most of the 'spell automation' will do a good job on the simple spells, which dont actually need automation. But the more complex spells are not supported and generally if automated roll a bunch of incorrect dice. As for 'token selection' under a spell token, this is normally limited to a radius check, does not support spell shapes line 'wall of fire' or 'cone' style etc... so again is only useful in a very limited situation.

This is not to say these extensions dont work for the limited use, they do. But the reality is that the information require to automate spells is way more complex than the ruleset has data, for example 'magic missile' and 'SRD' data of 5e, should pop-up multiple target option selection, one per missile.... but it does not, its spell normally only has the single 'damage' button and the user has to know they can use it multiple times... a lot of the automate spells, will multiple 'tick off' the spell cast because they think you used it 3 times... etc... And as for 'shapes' to select under, its near impossible to get UI support for selection options during the spell cast phase on the map and the required feedback of 'does this spell target friend+foe or just foe'.. and/or number of attacks it can do. Because this data is just not parsed from the spell description. To do this you would have to replace everything to do with 'spells' in the rule set, basically you may as well write a new rule set.. no extension is going to do that amount of work.

For me, and I hope this is clear, if I can not do a good job at doing something then I will not try and include it. Which is why on the Adv Spell damage forum multiple people have asked for automation and Ive rejected it etc..

-pete

SirMotte
February 21st, 2021, 02:54
Thanks for elaborating further. Let's see what the future holds in store for us.
I really do hope, that targeting masks will become a reality in the future, maybe even native support.
I am holding back in regard of automation too. Only very distinct features like sneak attack and the like have been automated in my games by using Kent McCulloughs extensions.
Anything further is prone to cause issues as there are too many unknowns in regard of spellcasting and stoytelling that could collide anytime, making reversing necessary and hampering the "flow" of my games.
I totally agree with your observations in this regard.

Now here's another request. I'm using metric measurements for the grid in my game. Therefore 5 ft are 1.5m on my maps. This causes most graphics to still be too large, even when scaling is set to 400. Would it be possible to increase the limit to accommodate this?

bratch9
February 23rd, 2021, 12:39
Thanks for elaborating further. Let's see what the future holds in store for us.
I really do hope, that targeting masks will become a reality in the future, maybe even native support.
I am holding back in regard of automation too. Only very distinct features like sneak attack and the like have been automated in my games by using Kent McCulloughs extensions.
Anything further is prone to cause issues as there are too many unknowns in regard of spellcasting and stoytelling that could collide anytime, making reversing necessary and hampering the "flow" of my games.
I totally agree with your observations in this regard.

Now here's another request. I'm using metric measurements for the grid in my game. Therefore 5 ft are 1.5m on my maps. This causes most graphics to still be too large, even when scaling is set to 400. Would it be possible to increase the limit to accommodate this?

Can you screen shot me a map with the grid config open etc... so I can see your settings, if you are using custom graphics, maybe attach an image of the spell token ( if it will fit in the upload space, or upload at 50% or 25% and tell me which so I can just resize it back to the original.. then I can have a test. ) The limit is easy to change but the I might need to increase space in the gadget to have bigger numbers look ok.

-pete

SirMotte
February 23rd, 2021, 14:07
Can you screen shot me a map with the grid config open etc... so I can see your settings, if you are using custom graphics, maybe attach an image of the spell token ( if it will fit in the upload space, or upload at 50% or 25% and tell me which so I can just resize it back to the original.. then I can have a test. ) The limit is easy to change but the I might need to increase space in the gadget to have bigger numbers look ok.

-pete

Alright, you find screenshots attached.
I'm using the high rez versions of G Jensens Spelltokens, no changes made. Some of them are larger or smaller than 1650x1650 px in size.
You won't have to widen the input field, as up to 4 digits fit in just fine.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

bratch9
February 23rd, 2021, 17:17
I'm using the high rez versions of G Jensens Spelltokens, no changes made. Some of them are larger or smaller than 1650x1650 px in size.

Thanks, I'll take a look in a bit... I want to check that a graphic of resolution when configured as 70 pixels 5ft, still needs 70 pixels when at 1.5m ( give or take.. ) as it should be working in 'squares' for the scale factor... Just in case its a bug that makes you need a much larger value like 230 pixels in the config..

-pete

bratch9
February 24th, 2021, 11:51

For me the question is why would we need 4 digits for the amount of pixels per 5ft typical grid...

At a 1000 setting, this is basically going to have a single grid square take up the vertical resolution of a 1080p monitor... who zooms that close to 1 square and expects a 1:1 texture resolution...

Also in the map under the spell token is only at 75 pixels per grid square.

While I think its nice to have higher resolutions available, hence the max 400 setting.

With your 1.5m per square you will,at the moment, have to set the values 3.33x bigger and hence you can support upto 120 pixels resolution per square of spell tokens. Which considering the resolutions of the textures this could be an issue.

What I'm thinking of is an extra table that you can configure a scale factor based on the per-map 'distance suffix'..

So you can set things like

'ft' 1
'm' 3.33

etc.. so this factor scale converts from 5ft/1.5m

Or I might just go with a single scale factor box at the top of the configuration window..

Do you have a preference ?

ie.. do you use map with grid scales set at 5ft and some set at 1.5m... I'm just thinking that using the 'distance suffix' to look up a table would allow a more consistent size setting in the table with different setting in the map etc..