PDA

View Full Version : [extension] Spell Tokens Extension

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

bratch9
February 17th, 2023, 00:08
I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it worked for 2e D&D. Just throwing it out there.

v7.5 which adds support for 2e.

You will still need to find and configure graphic spell tokens for the system. ( If you use 'Gareth Jensen' spell tokens, I'm sure with the 'B9_SpellTokens.xml' imported, a lot of matching spells should get tokens. )

NOTE... because 2e does not have a 're-parse' spell power, its not possible to 'refresh' current spell powers that need spell tokens... you will need to delete and re-add these. If you know of a suitable 'button' on the radial that makes sense to allow for a refresh to 'update' the power and let it update the spell token, then please let me know. ( I dont play 2e, so had no data and had to make some up... so maybe my testing data also needs checking etc.. )

If you have any issue, suggestions please let me know.

-pete

Ludd_G
February 18th, 2023, 21:37
Hi,

Sorry for being cheeky but I have a huge request: I'm a long time 5e DM moving over to Pathfinder 2e and was wondering if there are any GMs that have this set up for PF2e spells and would consider sharing their exported xml? This would be such a timesaver for me!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Simon

bratch9
February 24th, 2023, 21:31
v7.6 updated against the fgu 4.3.3 ruleset changes.

bratch9
February 24th, 2023, 21:36
Hi,

Sorry for being cheeky but I have a huge request: I'm a long time 5e DM moving over to Pathfinder 2e and was wondering if there are any GMs that have this set up for PF2e spells and would consider sharing their exported xml? This would be such a timesaver for me!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I tend to just adjust Gareth Jensen's tokens by changing the definition.xml in the .mod file. ( Change <ruleset>5e</ruleset> to <ruleset>Any</ruleset> and then load in the 'B9_SpellTokens.xml' from the top of the thread.

While I'm sure this does not cover many pf2e spells it does give you a start with some fantastic spell token images you could re-purpose...

I did try and get my artist friend to make some spell tokens, and suggested he should make pf 2e tokens, but he never got back to me. ( Probably does not have the time to spare.. )

Sorry its not much help,

-pete

webdove
February 25th, 2023, 00:33
Hi,
I like this extension. I just switched off Critically Awesome essentials to try it tonight. I was able to drop them and select my client character regardless of the drag order (nice). Were you ever able to get the concept of moving an (N)PC token and a spell token together for things like Arms of Hadar or Spirit Guardians?

bratch9
February 25th, 2023, 10:28
Hi,
I like this extension. I just switched off Critically Awesome essentials to try it tonight. I was able to drop them and select my client character regardless of the drag order (nice). Were you ever able to get the concept of moving an (N)PC token and a spell token together for things like Arms of Hadar or Spirit Guardians?

If you drop the spell token on the centre of the player/npc they become linked. You should be able to move the linked token with the spell token or the character token. ( This assumes you can move the character token... ie if a player drops spirit guardians onto an npc, they become linked and the player will NOT be able to move the npc+spell token about. )

This linking can be 'stopped' with I think by holding 'shift' before releasing the spell token over the centre of the npc.

[ NOTE... by centre its a small area about a quarter of a square of the centre, so small but reasonable to 'hit' with a mouse drop.. ]

-pete

edit: NOTE... token locked style movement does not move linked tokens due to how the call backs work. ( ie you dont get all the callbacks in lua to track this.. )

bratch9
February 25th, 2023, 11:35
Hi,

Hi,

Can I also ask why you have to turn off 'critically awesome essentials' ?

Just wanting to know what conflict this has that stops both working together etc ?

-pete

Arnagus
February 25th, 2023, 22:09
Quick feedback on using Spell Tokens on a 3.5e campaign after 4.3.3 update. All token are gone from the Spell actions, reparsing (SHIFT+reparse) does NOT add them. Pulling the spell again onto the char sheet also does not add the token. No error - just not there. Configuration windows shows up with all tokens as normal - they are "just" gone from all actions.

bratch9
February 25th, 2023, 22:22
Quick feedback on using Spell Tokens on a 3.5e campaign after 4.3.3 update. All token are gone from the Spell actions, reparsing (SHIFT+reparse) does NOT add them. Pulling the spell again onto the char sheet also does not add the token. No error - just not there. Configuration windows shows up with all tokens as normal - they are "just" gone from all actions.

I updated the spell tokens extension earlier... But only checked in 5e, as that is the most used ruleset. I'll do a check across the other supported rulesets tomorrow.

The fun of the big 4.3.3 update/ruleset and having 9 different extensions to catch up with changes... 5e got priority.

-pete

razzed1
February 26th, 2023, 07:23
All of my spells are casting at max level. I reparsed the spells, tried the spells from different sources. I even turned off the other extensions, then I tried to just use b9 cor and b9 advanced spell damage.
What can I do?
Thanks!

Side note: I cannot get Spell Tokens to work for me at all. (Pretty sure this is a me problem, but it is frustrating)

bratch9
February 26th, 2023, 13:45
All of my spells are casting at max level. I reparsed the spells, tried the spells from different sources. I even turned off the other extensions, then I tried to just use b9 cor and b9 advanced spell damage.
What can I do?
Thanks!

Side note: I cannot get Spell Tokens to work for me at all. (Pretty sure this is a me problem, but it is frustrating)

Could you post more info about the spell damage on its actual forum ? Advanced Spell Damage (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61703-extension-Advanced-Spell-Damage-Extension-casting-spells-at-higher-level)

As for getting spell tokens to work, can you make sure you a up to date with the extensions and fgu as I made some updates over the weekend from the fgu 4.3.3 update.

Could you give me further info on what about spell tokens you can not get working ? ( ie are you using a set of spell tokens like 'Gareth Jensens' set and the top of thread linked 'B9_SpellTokens.xml' file, or are you trying to configure your own graphics in the system ??? )

Thanks, Pete

razzed1
February 26th, 2023, 16:17
EDIT: I went back and just re-downloaded everything for Spell Tokens from DMsGuild instead. So far, I can get it to work, but I will continue testing and see if I can find the conflicts.
Thanks!

I may have solved the Spell Damage thing. I shut off all of my extensions and started over. It was a conflict somewhere, still trying to find it.

SPELL TOKENS is not even showing up in my inventory on the forge now. I deleted it out of my extension folder (think that was the old one from DMsGuild, but now I cannot get it to load from teh Forge. Is it still there? The only way I find it is by checking your products page.

bratch9
February 26th, 2023, 17:46
EDIT: I went back and just re-downloaded everything for Spell Tokens from DMsGuild instead. So far, I can get it to work, but I will continue testing and see if I can find the conflicts.
Thanks!

I may have solved the Spell Damage thing. I shut off all of my extensions and started over. It was a conflict somewhere, still trying to find it.

SPELL TOKENS is not even showing up in my inventory on the forge now. I deleted it out of my extension folder (think that was the old one from DMsGuild, but now I cannot get it to load from teh Forge. Is it still there? The only way I find it is by checking your products page.

Its is still on the forge, try going to your account 'inventory' and finding it in the list... Try using the 'hide' button to hide it, and then un-hide it back... I know some people have lost and re-found extensions like this.

You can clean it out from your extensions folder, the forge version downloads into the vault so will not show up in your files list.. but should in your game extension selection.

-pete

bratch9
February 26th, 2023, 17:48
v7.7 release to bring the other ruleset 4/3.5/2/pf/pf2/sf back to functions after the fgu 4.3.3 ruleset update.

-pete

Naplam
March 1st, 2023, 14:57
Hi does this extension work with the Rob2e extensions for spell effects?

bratch9
March 1st, 2023, 17:49
Hi does this extension work with the Rob2e extensions for spell effects?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed this is in the spell tokens thread, I thought you were asking about rob2e spell effects modules that has pre-defined spell data.... Does he now has some form of on map spell effect extension ? ( If so what is it called ??? )

OLD: ( Possible wrong context message... but might be the answer you were after.. )

In the past when it was a module, and before the SW forced the modules to swap the text description for a link, it would. It now tries to resolve the link, if you player has the required source module and it can find the link it copies in the description. See,

( I made a copy of the fireball spell and deleted the description and replaced it with a link to the original spell... you can see that with the players handbook loaded it resolved the link back to its text description and adds the extra damage for casting at higher levels... but if the module is not loaded it can not resolve the text and hence has no text to parse for the 'at higher level' section of that text. )

If rob2e now has an actual extension and you are not just referring to his module, then I dont know.. Can you provide a link on forge/dmsguild and I can probably have a look and see if it conflicts or not.

But since I dont have the extension or any of his data, its going to be hard for me to test this.

So I can not provide a yes or no answer.

-pete

Gawain the Great
March 1st, 2023, 18:28
EDIT: Sorry just noticed this is in the spell tokens thread, I thought you were asking about rob2e spell effects modules that has pre-defined spell data.... Does he now has some form of on map spell effect extension ? ( If so what is it called ??? )

OLD: ( Possible wrong context message... but might be the answer you were after.. )

In the past when it was a module, and before the SW forced the modules to swap the text description for a link, it would. It now tries to resolve the link, if you player has the required source module and it can find the link it copies in the description. See,

( I made a copy of the fireball spell and deleted the description and replaced it with a link to the original spell... you can see that with the players handbook loaded it resolved the link back to its text description and adds the extra damage for casting at higher levels... but if the module is not loaded it can not resolve the text and hence has no text to parse for the 'at higher level' section of that text. )

If rob2e now has an actual extension and you are not just referring to his module, then I dont know.. Can you provide a link on forge/dmsguild and I can probably have a look and see if it conflicts or not.

But since I dont have the extension or any of his data, its going to be hard for me to test this.

So I can not provide a yes or no answer.

-pete

I believe Naplam is referring to DM_Tools which works with CAE. I started off using that one, so I have used both of the "Spell Token Extensions." I turned off DM_Tools once I started using B9's system. They involve completely different functionality and pull different constructs onto the PC Actions tab. Certainly, you can use the spell "tokens" themselves from anywhere, and they can be pulled into B9's Spell Token list without any issues. The B9 Spell Token Ext. is bulletproof and easy to use. (Of course, make sure to grab the Spell _Token_21.mod, as it has all the great supporting Tokens.) I also got the Spiritual Weapons Tokens, which has a bunch of great tokens that you can use in a variety of ways.

bratch9
March 1st, 2023, 22:17
I believe Naplam is referring to DM_Tools which works with CAE. I started off using that one, so I have used both of the "Spell Token Extensions." I turned off DM_Tools once I started using B9's system. They involve completely different functionality and pull different constructs onto the PC Actions tab. Certainly, you can use the spell "tokens" themselves from anywhere, and they can be pulled into B9's Spell Token list without any issues. The B9 Spell Token Ext. is bulletproof and easy to use. (Of course, make sure to grab the Spell _Token_21.mod, as it has all the great supporting Tokens.) I also got the Spiritual Weapons Tokens, which has a bunch of great tokens that you can use in a variety of ways.

Can you link the Spiritual Weapons Tokens so I can take a look... and I can maybe make a xml file for config. ( Or you can export your settings from spell tokens and I can clip them out and drop them at the top of the thread ? )

-pete

Gawain the Great
March 1st, 2023, 23:01
Can you link the Spiritual Weapons Tokens so I can take a look... and I can maybe make a xml file for config. ( Or you can export your settings from spell tokens and I can clip them out and drop them at the top of the thread ? )

-pete

Sure. Happy to help. I'll try to get to that later on.

(I could send you my spell token settings, but I have ended up making a bunch of my own spell tokens, even for things that aren't "spells" just because I love the options your Extension offers: I have a really cool Barbarian Eagle Rage for the Barbarian in my party. lol)

Here is the link to the additional fun spiritual weapons tokens.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/323057/Spiritual-Weapon-Tokens

wframe
March 2nd, 2023, 00:48
Bought this extension today and I love it. I'm having one small problem. Whenever I drag a line template from the character sheet or the configuration window onto the map, I can only rotate it about 45 degrees and then it stops. No amount of holding shift and scrolling will rotate it further. Worse, I can't move it after that. It's like it gets locked. Rotate left and rotate right token functions aren't working from the radial menu, either.

This is ONLY on lines like lightning bolt, wall of thorns, etc.

bratch9
March 2nd, 2023, 13:16
Bought this extension today and I love it. I'm having one small problem. Whenever I drag a line template from the character sheet or the configuration window onto the map, I can only rotate it about 45 degrees and then it stops. No amount of holding shift and scrolling will rotate it further. Worse, I can't move it after that. It's like it gets locked. Rotate left and rotate right token functions aren't working from the radial menu, either.

That is odd, I'll try and reproduce this later...

-pete

EDIT: I've replicated this, it looks like it might think the token is rotated by 90 degress, you can find the help text from it off the spell token and then rotate with the keys/mouse/radial.. But its a bug I'll look into.

bratch9
March 2nd, 2023, 18:27
Sure. Happy to help. I'll try to get to that later on.

(I could send you my spell token settings, but I have ended up making a bunch of my own spell tokens, even for things that aren't "spells" just because I love the options your Extension offers: I have a really cool Barbarian Eagle Rage for the Barbarian in my party. lol)

Here is the link to the additional fun spiritual weapons tokens.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/323057/Spiritual-Weapon-Tokens

Ive attached at the top of the thread 'B9_SpiritualWeapons.xml' to cover this set of spell tokens.

My only question is some are called 'Staff' and 'Staff_' and 'Staff_one' (two,three) the names I've used come from the filenames.. Do you have any suggestions for better names for these?

They follow the naming for putting the weapon type in a (NAME) with the spell..

So drag on 'Spiritual Weapon' and rename the to 'Spiritual Weapon (Morodin hammer)' to select the specific graphic. ( Note... due to 'delay text entry for power name' you have to click away from the edited string to say you character name and then 'reparse' + shift key pressed to just update the spell token graphic.

-pete

Gawain the Great
March 2nd, 2023, 22:24
Ive attached at the top of the thread 'B9_SpiritualWeapons.xml' to cover this set of spell tokens.

My only question is some are called 'Staff' and 'Staff_' and 'Staff_one' (two,three) the names I've used come from the filenames.. Do you have any suggestions for better names for these?

They follow the naming for putting the weapon type in a (NAME) with the spell..

So drag on 'Spiritual Weapon' and rename the to 'Spiritual Weapon (Morodin hammer)' to select the specific graphic. ( Note... due to 'delay text entry for power name' you have to click away from the edited string to say you character name and then 'reparse' + shift key pressed to just update the spell token graphic.

-pete

That XML looks great.

As for the few "staffs" you mention. Here are my suggestions:

1. Staff_three_spiritual_weapon.png - Would work well as the Staff of Eternal Domination, related to any of four spells: Focused, Magus, Dancing, Telepathic Link.
2. Staff_two_spiritual_weapon.png - Looks like a good Staff of the Homing Tree, which is related to the Overpower (Dread) spell, and/or the Spell Storing spell.
3. Staff_spiritual_weapon.png - Would work as the Alkilith Staff, related to the Confusion Spell (the demonic Eye would work well for that idea).
4. Staff_for_spiritual_weapon.png - Would work well as the Coral Staff, related to the Bless and Detect Magic spells.
5. Staff_spiritual_weapon_.png - Would work as the Staff of Polarity, related to the Reverse Gravity Spell.
6. blibdoolpoolp_pincher_staff_spiritual_weapon.png - Looks like it was made to be the Pincher Staff, though it doesn't relate to any spells.

I hope those suggestions help, and that I understood what you were looking for. If not, let me know, and I can direct my response more precisely. Great work on your Extension!

bratch9
March 2nd, 2023, 23:07
That XML looks great.

As for the few "staffs" you mention. Here are my suggestions:

1. Staff_three_spiritual_weapon.png - Would work well as the Staff of Eternal Domination, related to any of four spells: Focused, Magus, Dancing, Telepathic Link.
2. Staff_two_spiritual_weapon.png - Looks like a good Staff of the Homing Tree, which is related to the Overpower (Dread) spell, and/or the Spell Storing spell.
3. Staff_spiritual_weapon.png - Would work as the Alkilith Staff, related to the Confusion Spell (the demonic Eye would work well for that idea).
4. Staff_for_spiritual_weapon.png - Would work well as the Coral Staff, related to the Bless and Detect Magic spells.
5. Staff_spiritual_weapon_.png - Would work as the Staff of Polarity, related to the Reverse Gravity Spell.
6. blibdoolpoolp_pincher_staff_spiritual_weapon.png - Looks like it was made to be the Pincher Staff, though it doesn't relate to any spells.

I hope those suggestions help, and that I understood what you were looking for. If not, let me know, and I can direct my response more precisely. Great work on your Extension!

I thought these were all spiritual weapons...

just after better names for eg,
'Spiritual Weapon (Staff Three)' -> 'Spiritual Weapon (Eternal Domination)'

type thing, as they just looked odd not been 'Deity weapon' type for the name...

-pete

wframe
March 2nd, 2023, 23:10
EDIT: I've replicated this, it looks like it might think the token is rotated by 90 degress, you can find the help text from it off the spell token and then rotate with the keys/mouse/radial.. But its a bug I'll look into.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the "help text from it off the spell token". I don't see anything except the giant token boundary and I can't even move it. I don't see any way to rotate it at all that works.

I know you're looking into fixing it. I can deal with it until then, I'm just not sure what I'm missing.

Gawain the Great
March 2nd, 2023, 23:21
I thought these were all spiritual weapons...

just after better names for eg,
'Spiritual Weapon (Staff Three)' -> 'Spiritual Weapon (Eternal Domination)'

type thing, as they just looked odd not been 'Deity weapon' type for the name...

-pete

I guess I just look at them as cool tokens to use for whatever purpose/spell I think they fit. lol. I viewed the “spiritual weapons” ID as more of an aesthetic take than a literal application.

(But then I made a boot “spell token” to use for a fighter’s tripping feat.)

webdove
March 3rd, 2023, 00:34
Hi, My players find that when spell images are persistent they clutter up the display too much especially when they don't sit on the bottom layer. They prefer simple outlines of the areas of effect. It it possible to get simple outlines easily?
Thx
Web

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 12:50
Hi, My players find that when spell images are persistent they clutter up the display too much especially when they don't sit on the bottom layer. They prefer simple outlines of the areas of effect. It it possible to get simple outlines easily?
Thx
Web

You can use left+right mouse button without the extension to place pointers on the screen. You can also use the radial to add these pointers. This is the best outline you can get. And things like radial selections can not be attached to these special pointer draw items..

From a 'graphic' point of view like the spell tokens, while the 'alpha' is taken into account for the render, the selection has no idea about the alpha. So the full graphic becomes the selection box. For spell tokens I try and reject selections outside the 'shape' of the token when in side the rectangle the graphic take up. But I can not use any information from the graphic to reduce the selection. ( This did work on FG classic, they have alpha checked selection so it could adjust the hit on the graphic to only visible parts... but FG unity does not do this feature !!! )

From a lua and extension point of view, its not possible for us to ask for a 'pointer' to be drawn. We can take over some of the information about the actual draw of the pointer shape but we can not spawn them onto the screen. only the radial and left+right mouse can 'add a pointer'. I know this because I've been wanting to use the 'pointers' system to draw the outline of the selection around the grid on top of the spell token sprite etc.. Also the way to do these pointers seems to also have changed because the FGU pointers are now 'filled', while the information I know about the custom pointers only creates outlines. ( I've asked for updates to the part documentation thread about custom pointers but no responses about this basically non-documented feature.. )

Its also a pain that spell tokens have to suffer from the same layer pool as tokens, to fix this a low level FGU priority system would need to be exposed. ( Since SW want you to use the spell templates they provide and have to be added by the GM only, that is the 'solution' to spell tokens... basically SW are done with spell tokens its a 'solved' problem in FGU eyes so change requests go into a black hole !! ) Bugs/change/wishlist items have been added going back multiple years to get some movement on token layer control, from many people.

Sorry I can not help more, I'm very limited with what is exposed to extensions and lua. Getting the system to be as usable as it currently is required me to override basically every thing in the image/selection process that is exposed and re-write all the selection and movement code that FGU provide in the c# code in lua to override as much of the system as possible. ( Things like 'locked' token movement approval by DM still dont work as the c# code calls very limited lua api to try and track this and with just the one callback its hard to track start/end drags to track if linked tokens should move other moving tokens.. )

-pete

webdove
March 3rd, 2023, 13:52
You can use left+right mouse button without the extension to place pointers on the screen. You can also use the radial to add these pointers. This is the best outline you can get. And things like radial selections can not be attached to these special pointer draw items..

From a 'graphic' point of view like the spell tokens, while the 'alpha' is taken into account for the render, the selection has no idea about the alpha. So the full graphic becomes the selection box. For spell tokens I try and reject selections outside the 'shape' of the token when in side the rectangle the graphic take up. But I can not use any information from the graphic to reduce the selection. ( This did work on FG classic, they have alpha checked selection so it could adjust the hit on the graphic to only visible parts... but FG unity does not do this feature !!! )

From a lua and extension point of view, its not possible for us to ask for a 'pointer' to be drawn. We can take over some of the information about the actual draw of the pointer shape but we can not spawn them onto the screen. only the radial and left+right mouse can 'add a pointer'. I know this because I've been wanting to use the 'pointers' system to draw the outline of the selection around the grid on top of the spell token sprite etc.. Also the way to do these pointers seems to also have changed because the FGU pointers are now 'filled', while the information I know about the custom pointers only creates outlines. ( I've asked for updates to the part documentation thread about custom pointers but no responses about this basically non-documented feature.. )

Its also a pain that spell tokens have to suffer from the same layer pool as tokens, to fix this a low level FGU priority system would need to be exposed. ( Since SW want you to use the spell templates they provide and have to be added by the GM only, that is the 'solution' to spell tokens... basically SW are done with spell tokens its a 'solved' problem in FGU eyes so change requests go into a black hole !! ) Bugs/change/wishlist items have been added going back multiple years to get some movement on token layer control, from many people.

Sorry I can not help more, I'm very limited with what is exposed to extensions and lua. Getting the system to be as usable as it currently is required me to override basically every thing in the image/selection process that is exposed and re-write all the selection and movement code that FGU provide in the c# code in lua to override as much of the system as possible. ( Things like 'locked' token movement approval by DM still dont work as the c# code calls very limited lua api to try and track this and with just the one callback its hard to track start/end drags to track if linked tokens should move other moving tokens.. )

-pete

1. What you said triggered a couple of thoughts. Aren’t there simple graphic spell outline tokens that are used if the pretty spell tokens 2.1 module is missing? 2. Is it possible to bulk edit the spell tokens 2.1 pngs to make them much fainter?

Ludd_G
March 3rd, 2023, 14:50
Hi,

would these fit the bill?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/393775/Spell-Template-tokens-for-your-Virtual-Table-Top

These are for PF2e but if you search for Spell Tokens on drivethrurpg there are several different flavours available, and I've just noticed there's a sale on as well so I'm gonna get some different sets.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Simon

Ludd_G
March 3rd, 2023, 14:57
(also if you use the Natural Selection extension you can force the spell token to the bottom of the pile: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/953/view )

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 16:34
1. What you said triggered a couple of thoughts. Aren’t there simple graphic spell outline tokens that are used if the pretty spell tokens 2.1 module is missing? 2. Is it possible to bulk edit the spell tokens 2.1 pngs to make them much fainter?

1. Its possible that simpler tokens do exist. I even provide a script at the top of the page to allow generation of blank tokens of a specific resolution and size. So maybe use that and generate some simple tokens and set up an xml map for these ?

2. I dont own spell tokens 2.1 source graphic image(s), so can not alpha them out and provide those. But again feel free to do this to your downloaded module of spell tokens 2.1. ( For legal reasons I can not edit and supply the adjustment )

So while I understand your comments, I'm not an artist so can not draw these tokens to provide them. ( As I say I provide a script to generate masked single colour tokens at the top of thread.. ) And I obviously can not take other peoples artwork and adjust them. I did ask the owner of spell tokens 2.1 if it was possible to make 'small' versions for icons, which is why the spell tokens extension has an extra graphic space in the configuration. So a icon can be setup and then the player character gets the small icon, which is quicker to sync to the character sheet than the full size which is only needed when dragged onto a map...

Sure these things exist and if you want to get gimp out and adjust graphics then feel free. But I assume people asking for these things just dont have the skill, as a confident artist with the spell tokens 2.1 pack that wanted them fainter would just boot photoshop and bulk edit the files they have. It would take less time for an artist to fix the issue than create a message and talk about it.

If I dont know of a link to something requested, it might exist, but I can not provide the information. ( I'm happy that Ludd_G provided a link that might help, but again you would need to turn these images into a module, as I was not sure if it was just loose images or not... and then configure up these graphics in FGU or make a import xml config file.. But again I assume people asking for these sorts of things want the simple click solution, and dont want to spend hours doing the custom work etc. )

I do try and help as best I can,
-pete

wframe
March 3rd, 2023, 16:38
I actually quite like the spell tokens as is. I don't find that they really interfere with anything. Coming from Foundry, we usually delete templates for things like fireball right after the damage is resolved anyway. We really just use them for a visual of what is being affected by the spell.

I do wish Fantasy Grounds had something closer to what Foundry has for determining spell areas of effect, but this is about as good as it gets for Fantasy Grounds, so thanks for all of your hard work, Pete.

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 16:42
(also if you use the Natural Selection extension you can force the spell token to the bottom of the pile: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/953/view )

I'm not sure if natural selection re-orders spell tokens... unless thats new. When I tested it at launch it only showed selection of CT tokens, which was great, and so I assumed it could not 'push back' a spell token.. only player/npc icons that sit on top of each other ?

I could be wrong, and its changed to allow this. ( I do have plans to look into what is been done to push back a token, as every time I play with doing this its been inconsistent or had issues. Normally its done by calling a move(x+offset,y+offset) and move(x,y) to fake 'move' a token... as now I think FGU always puts a moved token to the back of the stack. When Spell tokens also supported FGC it di other things and FGU also had a bunch of odd stacking. But I think this has had specific updates in FGU so maybe its stable now with a fake move ?? I will take a look as some point, as I'd love to give spell/npc/player tokens a 'priority' type system.... as then people who abuse Spell tokens extension and configure things like tables and carts would have the ability to allow spell/player/npc to go under or over a token... type of thing.. )

-pete

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 16:47
I actually quite like the spell tokens as is. I don't find that they really interfere with anything. Coming from Foundry, we usually delete templates for things like fireball right after the damage is resolved anyway. We really just use them for a visual of what is being affected by the spell.

I do wish Fantasy Grounds had something closer to what Foundry has for determining spell areas of effect, but this is about as good as it gets for Fantasy Grounds, so thanks for all of your hard work, Pete.

I also assume people would place a fireball spell token, use the radial to select targets, run the damage and then delete the spell token. Out group only leaves 'active' spells going past the end of turn. Hence only the odd one is ever in play on an image and hence does not clutter up too much. Sometime players drop a spell token onto the center of and npc and 'link' them together and then can not move the spell token any more... ( So delete and re-add etc.. I know you can press shift to stop this !! )

Thanks, I assume most people go the other way from FGU to foundry !! ( I've never use foundry but I have see people talk about it and it always interested me !! )

-pete

Ludd_G
March 3rd, 2023, 16:47
I used to just select the tokens that i wanted on top (as each is selected it places it to the top of the pile), which acts as a default send to back if you do all the other tokens but not the spell. But I've just see this in the forge description of Natural Selection:

"Send to Bottom
With the Natural Selection window open, right clicking on a token in the popup window brings up the radial menu, and within the radial menu is an option to send the token to the bottom of the stack. Doing this might adjust the order of tokens that are stacked on top of it."

which I'll definitely be using in the future.

I find the extension really stable now and it's another one where I'm mystified that this isn't core mechanics in FGU.

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 18:21
I used to just select the tokens that i wanted on top (as each is selected it places it to the top of the pile), which acts as a default send to back if you do all the other tokens but not the spell. But I've just see this in the forge description of Natural Selection:

"Send to Bottom
With the Natural Selection window open, right clicking on a token in the popup window brings up the radial menu, and within the radial menu is an option to send the token to the bottom of the stack. Doing this might adjust the order of tokens that are stacked on top of it."

which I'll definitely be using in the future.

I find the extension really stable now and it's another one where I'm mystified that this isn't core mechanics in FGU.

Yep I agree, the layer control of tokens even without extensions is a little odd... But it was changed when they sort of dropped FGC support.. which made it better. In the early days of FGU it was all over the place, some times you drag and it goes to bottom some times it stayed on the top and it was different between clients and host. I think they were trying to keep player tokens high on clients and npc token highest on host... but it was just a mess. It is better now but still could do with some work and extra options. But then SW dont see to look at abusive use of token for the likes of carts or spell tokens etc...

( I will look at natural selection, as I said in this thread, if its now reliable to push tokens to the back with a quick move type thing... then when you move an npc/player token I can then move all the spell tokens and get them to the back type thing.. But needs looking into. )

-pete

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 18:24

released
v7.8 should resolve the line tokens, rotation/selection issue.

Gawain the Great
March 3rd, 2023, 18:47
Thx
Web

It's also very possible to simply diminish the visibility of your spell tokens. The Spell Tokens are PNG files, which have a Transparency Alpha layer. You can pretty-easily work through your MOD of tokens (some are brighter and more obtrusive than others), pulling each one into GIMP, reducing the opacity with an easy slider bar and re-exporting the token back out. Takes maybe 10 seconds per token. You don't have to do anything in FGU, just re-zip and change the ZIP ext. to MOD and replace it into FGU modules folder. (There are a number of How-To's on "token work," if you need the step-by-step.)

I modify/create Spell Tokens for my specific aesthetic and uses. I like the way they make the board look like there's magic happening and reflect the action going on.

War can a busy looking business, but I definitely get how they could be distracting if you have too many going.

Good luck.

wframe
March 3rd, 2023, 20:50
released
v7.8 should resolve the line tokens, rotation/selection issue.

It DOES! Thanks for the quick fix, Pete. You are a wizard of the highest order.

bratch9
March 3rd, 2023, 23:33
v7.9 released.

This has a sort of layer priority system for the spell tokens. ( It might cause use issues with other mods as it basically re-orders the token layers when anything moves !! )

The system has 4 layers..

1. Low priority spell tokens
2. Low priority player/npc tokens
3. High priority spell tokens
4. High priority player/npc tokens

Spell tokens now have a toggle button in the 'spell configuration' window that toggle then between low priority (off) and high priority (on).
player/npc tokens now have a radial option (in position 4, its an up/down arrow. ) that toggles the player/npc priority.

At the moment it does not sync the player/npc priority between clients/host, so it can get out of sync if a player moves a token, sets it to low priority, then the gm moves a token... as the gm will not have the low priority player and sort the player into the wrong state. ( ie the player priority needs to sync across the data base, so not production ready, but can be tested for feedback ?? )

This allows spell tokens to stay at the back of player/npc tokens... and allows things like tables (abused in the spell token config to high priority) to be above spell tokens, but also allows for players to stand on or under the table and still be above and spell tokens.

Feedback is welcome, when I get a bit more time I'll add the code to sync the database for the player priority as they get toggled.

-pete

EDIT: looks like this...

bratch9
March 4th, 2023, 18:43
v7.10 released. This adds support for locked token movement. Now the token stack tends to have the player token on top, this allows it to be dragged and the gm get a 'normal' sized approve move tick box. ( Still possible to drag a spell token and get the massive approve. ) But the system will try and move the player token and any linked spell tokens.

-pete

nephranka
March 5th, 2023, 16:25
Strange thing is happening now. In the shot below the host is on top the client on bottom. When the client drops the token it resizes on the host? Maybe I am doing something wrong? Same thing happens if the GM drops a spell token on the map.

Edit: It only happens when the client is connected. Host only does not have this issue.

bratch9
March 5th, 2023, 17:09
Strange thing is happening now. In the shot below the host is on top the client on bottom. When the client drops the token it resizes on the host? Maybe I am doing something wrong? Same thing happens if the GM drops a spell token on the map.

Edit: It only happens when the client is connected. Host only does not have this issue.

v7.11 release.

Fixes token size issues, caused by too much 'layer sorting'

Layer sorting is now only done on the host side, and has a delay counter which is set when things move... and when ticked down it will cause a layer sort. This count down only happens if you move the mouse over the image or have it over a token... ( Its just how the callbacks function in FG... without a 'every frame' type call back its the best it can be for now... )

Also the switch priority is now only on host side for players/npc, so 'ask your dm' to move you under the table !!

I think this resolves the current set of bugs I introduced over the last couple of builds to do with layers and locked token movement. ( I'd love to sort the lag on the locked token for the players, but again I had to limit this to the host side processing to drag linked tokens about... due to every move token also spamming the move and extra moves for linked into clients and I did not want the 'echo' of a client also trying to move the linked token when it noticed the other half moved etc.. )

-pete

nephranka
March 5th, 2023, 17:53
v7.11 release.

Fixes token size issues, caused by too much 'layer sorting'

Layer sorting is now only done on the host side, and has a delay counter which is set when things move... and when ticked down it will cause a layer sort. This count down only happens if you move the mouse over the image or have it over a token... ( Its just how the callbacks function in FG... without a 'every frame' type call back its the best it can be for now... )

Also the switch priority is now only on host side for players/npc, so 'ask your dm' to move you under the table !!

I think this resolves the current set of bugs I introduced over the last couple of builds to do with layers and locked token movement. ( I'd love to sort the lag on the locked token for the players, but again I had to limit this to the host side processing to drag linked tokens about... due to every move token also spamming the move and extra moves for linked into clients and I did not want the 'echo' of a client also trying to move the linked token when it noticed the other half moved etc.. )

-pete

That fixed my issue. Thanks!

bratch9
March 5th, 2023, 19:59
That fixed my issue. Thanks!

Do set yourself a more table like spell token and configure it with its priority tick in the spell configuration window, and have a go with the new layer system for tokens... you should now see spell tokens been behind the player/npc tokens so you should always have access to the player/npc even for 'locked token' to drag and approve etc... And then as a gm you can have your player token above or below the table or cart etc...

But because it sorts the tokens after they move, things like natural selection that moves a token will probably then cause a re-layout of the stack and the spell tokens system will probably reorder the tokens again and break the token you wanted on the top etc..

So usage feedback and interactions with the other mods the add/move tokens about would be fantastic feedback.. As I'm sure some will have issues.

I'm sure you will have fun with the changes, I've got a few things I want to fix. Like giving the player tokens the priority change, but that will have to send a message to the host to cause a layer sort. But I think the changes I made need to 'settle' and pick up any more slight issues I've caused with the changes of the systems.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments they are always welcome,
-pete

nephranka
March 6th, 2023, 01:35
Do set yourself a more table like spell token and configure it with its priority tick in the spell configuration window, and have a go with the new layer system for tokens... you should now see spell tokens been behind the player/npc tokens so you should always have access to the player/npc even for 'locked token' to drag and approve etc... And then as a gm you can have your player token above or below the table or cart etc...

But because it sorts the tokens after they move, things like natural selection that moves a token will probably then cause a re-layout of the stack and the spell tokens system will probably reorder the tokens again and break the token you wanted on the top etc..

So usage feedback and interactions with the other mods the add/move tokens about would be fantastic feedback.. As I'm sure some will have issues.

I'm sure you will have fun with the changes, I've got a few things I want to fix. Like giving the player tokens the priority change, but that will have to send a message to the host to cause a layer sort. But I think the changes I made need to 'settle' and pick up any more slight issues I've caused with the changes of the systems.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments they are always welcome,
-pete

I will give any feedback we get from play. Thanks for the work!

webdove
March 6th, 2023, 06:44
Hi,

would these fit the bill?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/393775/Spell-Template-tokens-for-your-Virtual-Table-Top

These are for PF2e but if you search for Spell Tokens on drivethrurpg there are several different flavours available, and I've just noticed there's a sale on as well so I'm gonna get some different sets.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Those look wonderful. The stair-stepped shapes quantized to 5' would give more accurate targeting. The one thing I would wish for is an option to empty the internal pixels so all tokens are just an outline. That would eliminate the clutter problem for those of us that find it to be undesirable. It's funny. Before tokens 2.1 I remember using Diablobob's DM Tools and seeing simple outlines, but I cannot figure out where those came from.

Web

rennyo
March 6th, 2023, 15:58
Found that version 7.7 is incompatible with current portal extension v.2.30. When you try to resize portal token you can only enlarge it and cannot shrink it with mouse wheel. I do not know where is bug, but I this happened after last updates...

bratch9
March 6th, 2023, 22:39
Hi Simon,

Those look wonderful. The stair-stepped shapes quantized to 5' would give more accurate targeting. The one thing I would wish for is an option to empty the internal pixels so all tokens are just an outline. That would eliminate the clutter problem for those of us that find it to be undesirable. It's funny. Before tokens 2.1 I remember using Diablobob's DM Tools and seeing simple outlines, but I cannot figure out where those came from.

Web

Since the content of the actual graphic is not looked at for targeting, only the mathematical shape type defined in the configuration window... I dont think the images will be more 'accurate' for selection... You can draw whatever in the image, if its defined as a 'circle' spell token, and you draw a squared out circle, its still going to check against a perfect circle. ( Unless you use the 'usage mode' = 'pixel' configuration, then it might be better as it rounds to squares... but it might not match with the spell image etc.. ) For example if you used a squared off spell token and had it on a half grid location, then the grids are not going to line up to the selection etc..

-pete

EDIT: NOTE... if you use 'usage mode' 'pixel' then when you use the 'target' option on the spell token radial and hold down the 'ctrl' key at the same time a chat message will give you a grid of pixels that the system is checking. It will try and be bigger than the spell token area but you should be able to get an idea of which grid squares its going to check. ( Its based off the mathematical shape including the centre pixel of the grid square... unless you are in 'half square' mode... in which case each grid square is considered as 4 smaller squares )

bratch9
March 6th, 2023, 22:57
Found that version 7.7 is incompatible with current portal extension v.2.30. When you try to resize portal token you can only enlarge it and cannot shrink it with mouse wheel. I do not know where is bug, but I this happened after last updates...

Can you link which version of 'portal extension' you are using... I've got 'big portals', but that is 1.5.. so I need to know which of the multiple 'portal' extensions you are referring to ?

And spell tokens is at v7.11 now.. So I'd need to you check it with the latest build. ( Since fgu 4.3.3 build required updates to the extension. )

-pete

webdove
March 7th, 2023, 03:18
Since the content of the actual graphic is not looked at for targeting, only the mathematical shape type defined in the configuration window... I dont think the images will be more 'accurate' for selection... You can draw whatever in the image, if its defined as a 'circle' spell token, and you draw a squared out circle, its still going to check against a perfect circle. ( Unless you use the 'usage mode' = 'pixel' configuration, then it might be better as it rounds to squares... but it might not match with the spell image etc.. ) For example if you used a squared off spell token and had it on a half grid location, then the grids are not going to line up to the selection etc..

-pete

EDIT: NOTE... if you use 'usage mode' 'pixel' then when you use the 'target' option on the spell token radial and hold down the 'ctrl' key at the same time a chat message will give you a grid of pixels that the system is checking. It will try and be bigger than the spell token area but you should be able to get an idea of which grid squares its going to check. ( Its based off the mathematical shape including the centre pixel of the grid square... unless you are in 'half square' mode... in which case each grid square is considered as 4 smaller squares )

Hi Simon,

Web

I found three modules that contain token drawings:
1. These have ornate designs interior to the periphery of the token which are pretty, by also cause clutter.
1. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/195599/DUNGEONS-AND-DRAGONS-5e-Spell-Tokens-21 G Jensen
https://i.imgur.com/Vx5ysfj.png
2. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/313489/Simple-Aura-Tokens Robyn Nix and Rob Twohy simple outlines. Low clutter, but not as pretty.
https://i.imgur.com/XjBmAXT.png
3. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/310505/DM-Tools-Fantasy-Grounds DiabloBob and Rob Twohy. Similar to #2, but no cones apparently.
https://i.imgur.com/71EdZzO.png
And you found this one:
4. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/393775/Spell-Template-tokens-for-your-Virtual-Table-Top R Sigler Similar to #2, but with more "filling" the quantized edges of cones may be a problem when they are rotated.
https://i.imgur.com/vs1r02O.png

webdove
March 7th, 2023, 03:19
I would be thrilled to have any option where the outlines are not filled in at all.

bratch9
March 7th, 2023, 12:23
I found three modules that contain token drawings:
1. These have ornate designs interior to the periphery of the token which are pretty, by also cause clutter.
1. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/195599/DUNGEONS-AND-DRAGONS-5e-Spell-Tokens-21 G Jensen
2. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/313489/Simple-Aura-Tokens Robyn Nix and Rob Twohy simple outlines. Low clutter, but not as pretty.
3. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/310505/DM-Tools-Fantasy-Grounds DiabloBob and Rob Twohy. Similar to #2, but no cones apparently.

And you found this one:
4. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/393775/Spell-Template-tokens-for-your-Virtual-Table-Top R Sigler Similar to #2, but with more "filling" the quantized edges of cones may be a problem when they are rotated.

Your attachment links dont work... ( which I assume give an example image of some of the tokens ? )

-pete

bratch9
March 7th, 2023, 12:48
I would be thrilled to have any option where the outlines are not filled in at all.

The issue with grid shaped graphic tokens, is they are very limited on angle. Since it is baked into the graphic.

This extension increases the angle a token can be at to 72 possible, or every 5 degrees. To properly have the squared off grid style spell token graphic this would required, assuming the FG half square grid alignment, 288 versions of each spell token to form the correct shape on the grid. ( This would increase the graphics required for 'spell tokens 2.1' from 134 images to 38592 images and increase its size to about 20GB for the module. )

As I've already said in this thread, the way to create just outline, or outline with a very soft fill, is to use the FG 'pointer' system. You can add these from the image radial, or left+right+[shift+ctrl] combinations. But they are not 'grid' shaped. Overriding the generation of these outlines is possible, but lua can not 'spawn' these you have to use the image radial or mouse combination. Once they are placed you have no lua feedback for options like 'target' items under the pointer as these are just pointers. So this system would need a bunch of work from SW to adjust api access or add grid align edge generation.

Or you would have to limit your players to spell token casts from grid corner and only in a couple of directions, to reduce the combinations. To do this and have a token look correct and have rotate options the system would have to add multiple hidden tokens to allow it to swap these in, this would cause issues with selection as it would need to track on un-select a token that was been shown and select the new token that is been un-hidden. ( I've looked at doing this because I wanted to have animated spell tokens, which could be done like this but would thrash the network data with all the extra images needed.. )

If you are happy to have individual tokens for specific source locations and angle, then you dont need this extension. You can just drop those graphics into the tokens folder, and then you can just drag them onto the map from the 'assets' menu and resize them. ( Its what this extension started from, binding these images into the character sheet. Then added auto re-size for placement, then extra angles, and optional custom lighting for each token etc.... to the complexity we have now. )

-pete

webdove
March 7th, 2023, 16:48
Your attachment links dont work... ( which I assume give an example image of some of the tokens ? )

-pete

I edited my previous post and put the images on imgur

webdove
March 7th, 2023, 16:51
The issue with grid shaped graphic tokens, is they are very limited on angle. Since it is baked into the graphic.

This extension increases the angle a token can be at to 72 possible, or every 5 degrees. To properly have the squared off grid style spell token graphic this would required, assuming the FG half square grid alignment, 288 versions of each spell token to form the correct shape on the grid. ( This would increase the graphics required for 'spell tokens 2.1' from 134 images to 38592 images and increase its size to about 20GB for the module. )

As I've already said in this thread, the way to create just outline, or outline with a very soft fill, is to use the FG 'pointer' system. You can add these from the image radial, or left+right+[shift+ctrl] combinations. But they are not 'grid' shaped. Overriding the generation of these outlines is possible, but lua can not 'spawn' these you have to use the image radial or mouse combination. Once they are placed you have no lua feedback for options like 'target' items under the pointer as these are just pointers. So this system would need a bunch of work from SW to adjust api access or add grid align edge generation.

Or you would have to limit your players to spell token casts from grid corner and only in a couple of directions, to reduce the combinations. To do this and have a token look correct and have rotate options the system would have to add multiple hidden tokens to allow it to swap these in, this would cause issues with selection as it would need to track on un-select a token that was been shown and select the new token that is been un-hidden. ( I've looked at doing this because I wanted to have animated spell tokens, which could be done like this but would thrash the network data with all the extra images needed.. )

If you are happy to have individual tokens for specific source locations and angle, then you dont need this extension. You can just drop those graphics into the tokens folder, and then you can just drag them onto the map from the 'assets' menu and resize them. ( Its what this extension started from, binding these images into the character sheet. Then added auto re-size for placement, then extra angles, and optional custom lighting for each token etc.... to the complexity we have now. )

-pete

The best thing as an option from my perspective would be simple cones circles square tokens with no fill. That would preserve the ability to target, eliminate the clutter and allow them to be placed anywhere and rotated in any direction.

bratch9
March 7th, 2023, 18:13
The best thing as an option from my perspective would be simple cones circles square tokens with no fill. That would preserve the ability to target, eliminate the clutter and allow them to be placed anywhere and rotated in any direction.

1. these would have to be non-grid square shapes, as that is the only way to rotate. With grid square shaped token the rotation ability would have to layout a changing selection of grid squares based on angle... which would require thousands of images and many images tokens added per spell token to allow he system hide/unhide the required square grid token. ( Since you can not 'change' the image on a token on the fly in FG, so you either delete it and add a new one, or add them all and hide/unhide as required. )

2. Even if the graphic only has the outline on it, the 'blank' space still exists and will mess up the selection process in exactly the same way as a solid fill or any image in that space. No 'alpha' check happens with these graphics because unity has stuffed the textures up on the gpu and reading it back for the cpu to alpha check selection would be slow. As I previously said, FG classic has alpha tested textures because its all rendered on the cpu and push to the gpu, while FG unity uses unity gpu texture loading so cpu has no access to the texture and hence no longer has alpha selected texture picking. Hence having a spell graphics texture with just the outline or filled makes zero difference to the system every pixel in the graphic blank/alpha or filled is just the same, FGU does not care and does not know about it. So its not going to clean up any ability to target and select with the mouse. It will clean up the image a little. But again without thousands of textures you can not get grid square type tokens.

With the newest version of spell tokens extension, the spell tokens get moved below the npc/player tokens. So you get full direct access to the npc/player token for targeting/dragging.

Since none of the textures links provide the image shape/style you want, I guess you will have to get 'gimp' out and watch some youtube to figure out how to make your own tokens.

You can always use the top of thread 'GenerateSpellTokenImage.txt', rename it a .bat and install imagemagic.. Then use cmd and run 'GenerateSpellTokenImage.bat 60 100' which will generate a set of circle/square/cone etc... at 60 feet with 100 pixels per square. I'm probably sure with a bit of google you could probably have imagemagic just outline the filled shapes for you, or you can open them in gimp and maybe select and duplicate the layer, resize down a small amount this new layer and subtract it from the bottom layer... to basically cut out the centre area of the texture and leave you with a small border.

A quick google gave me https://imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?p=136722 but not sure if that will help or not. But its a start point.

-pete

bratch9
March 8th, 2023, 00:04

Just been looking at 'portals revamped', which had a couple of updates to v2.32... its giving some errors into the console when used on its own. So I expect it needs more work.

But even with the portals revamped extension on its own, its not possible to zoom in/out the portals by the looks. Its got some with different sized ( blue/green tokens etc.. ) with like 100x100 and 100x170 etc.. So I guess its not supposed to be able to resize these.

When adding spell tokens, again I can not resize the portals, but I can resize spell tokens.

So I dont think this is an issue. Could you check with latest versions ?

-pete

bratch9
March 8th, 2023, 00:53

I've updated the 'B9_SpellTokens.mod' to include a selection of generated spell tokens using the batch file at the top of the thread. ( I added outline generation to it. ) They have a slight dark transparent tint and a dark black transparent outline. They look odd with no fill, so I set it very low.

Take a look, as I'm probably going to keep these as basic token and at some point will probably generate a configuration xml file. But feedback will be welcome.

-pete

webdove
March 10th, 2023, 19:25
Nevermind. My map was glitching

bratch9
March 10th, 2023, 21:23
Nevermind. My map was glitching

Thanks for the update... I read your pre-edit, when you asked about selecting targets..

So to 'select' targets, the FGU standard process should work. ctrl+left click on the map, and doing things like dragging dice 'damage' onto the npc token should work, and dragging the damage from chat to the npc should work. ( Or onto the CT, which should all work as the extension should not break any of those. )

Just answering it, so if people feel it has an issue they can report it as a bug. As I'm sure I got all the standard processes for targeting and damage working, even pre-layer sorting when spell tokens could be on top of npc. ( As it should have pushed it down the stack to the first found non spell token player/npc on the map.. )

-pete

bratch9
March 11th, 2023, 20:16
v7.12 released,
- adds a tool bar request for a layer sort to happen on the host. ( works if the image is open on the host. )
- re-enabled the client side 'layer toggle' on the radial of a player token. ( works if the image is open on the host. )
- add a low/mid/high layer for spell tokens in the spell configuration window. ( Layer order => low spell tokens, low npc/player tokens, mid spell tokens, high npc/player tokens, high spell tokens. )

The high spell tokens is more for the likes of 'spirit weapons' to always be on the top of everything, including npc/player. But since the system tried to always give access to the npc/player in a stack this can cause 'spirit weapons' to not be movable if over a npc/player token, until that npc/player token is moved. I will look to adjust this so high layer spell tokens can be moved when over another token.

-pete

Hjorimir
March 18th, 2023, 11:10
I just purchased this extension. I seem to have it configured properly. I can see the spell tokens on both PC character sheets and under NPCs on the Combat Tracker. I can see the token under my pointer when I drag it from either source to the map. However, the token always just disappears upon release. Is there a trick here that I'm missing? I've tested this with the base 5e Sample Campaign and the only extensions loaded are the B9 Common Core and Spell Tokens.

bratch9
March 18th, 2023, 13:43
I just purchased this extension. I seem to have it configured properly. I can see the spell tokens on both PC character sheets and under NPCs on the Combat Tracker. I can see the token under my pointer when I drag it from either source to the map. However, the token always just disappears upon release. Is there a trick here that I'm missing? I've tested this with the base 5e Sample Campaign and the only extensions loaded are the B9 Common Core and Spell Tokens.

It should just work if you drag and drop the spell token from a character sheet to the map.

How did you configure the spell tokens ?

If you configured by hand with your own graphics, did you configure the 'size per 5 feet' ?

In the above example, these images are configured for 70 pixels per 5 feet and use 100% of the collision size.

If this is not the issue, please add some images of your configuration window and a player with the spell showing the same spell. As I might be able to advise you further. ( I just checked with the current released spell token extension and latest FGU code update to make sure Thursday's update did not break the size placement on the map and I had no issue.. )

If this does not solve the issue, if you could attach the db.xml file from the '5e sample campaign' so I can take a look to see if any corruption happened.

Hope you can get this working,
-pete

Hjorimir
March 18th, 2023, 14:26
No, that was it. I added the 70 and readded the spells and now I can drop them. Is there a way you could update the extension to default to that number? Just feedback, but it was not intuitive to me at all to do that. Thanks for the support!

bratch9
March 19th, 2023, 21:01
No, that was it. I added the 70 and readded the spells and now I can drop them. Is there a way you could update the extension to default to that number? Just feedback, but it was not intuitive to me at all to do that. Thanks for the support!

I can add a default, and probably should.. Ive see different number of pixels per 5 feet on textures, so not sure what a default would be.

-pete

bratch9
April 4th, 2023, 18:57
released v7.13.
-added a default 'pixels per 5 feet' value
-fixed window configuration/suffix edit/delete buttons
-add while dragging the ability to use CTRL to do the opposite to the grid snap mode.

bratch9
April 7th, 2023, 15:59
released v7.14, just a coreRPG ruleset merge.

webdove
April 20th, 2023, 21:03
Hi bratch9,
I love this extension!

I wanted simpler tokens with only a periphery and nothing inside to avoid clutter so I synthesized a collection of them using the batch file with this type of command ".\gentoken 10 35 3".

How do I load all the png files into FG and how do I remap the tokens on existing spells to these new tokens? (I am hoping that once they are loaded that I or players can drag them onto existing spells one at a time).
Thanks
Web

PS Nevermind, I figured it out.

bratch9
April 21st, 2023, 15:46
Hi bratch9,
I love this extension!

I wanted simpler tokens with only a periphery and nothing inside to avoid clutter so I synthesized a collection of them using the batch file with this type of command ".\gentoken 10 35 3".

How do I load all the png files into FG and how do I remap the tokens on existing spells to these new tokens? (I am hoping that once they are loaded that I or players can drag them onto existing spells one at a time).
Thanks
Web

PS Nevermind, I figured it out.

Glad you sorted it.

-pete

webdove
April 21st, 2023, 17:29
Is there a way to replace the token on the PC sheet or do I have to replace it on the tokens settings panel and reload the spell to the PC sheet?

webdove
April 21st, 2023, 22:22
Is there a way to replace the token on the PC sheet or do I have to replace it on the tokens settings panel and reload the spell to the PC sheet?

I found the right click radial reparse function on the PC sheet spell token which updates the token to the current value in the spell tokens configuration window. (yay!)
Drag to the PC sheet spell token has no effect. :(
Double click on the PC sheet deletes the spell token location on the PC sheet so it can no longer be reparsed. :(
It might be better to erase that token on the PC sheet, but leave an icon of some sort so reparse can still be used.
Right click radial on the CT/NPC spell token does not offer a reparse function. :(

bratch9
April 21st, 2023, 23:03
I found the right click radial reparse function on the PC sheet spell token which updates the token to the current value in the spell tokens configuration window. (yay!)
Drag to the PC sheet spell token has no effect. :(
Double click on the PC sheet deletes the spell token location on the PC sheet so it can no longer be reparsed. :(
It might be better to erase that token on the PC sheet, but leave an icon of some sort so reparse can still be used.
Right click radial on the CT/NPC spell token does not offer a reparse function. :(

So to be clear, I dont expect people to be live editing spell token configuration of graphics... So NPC will never need a re-parse as nothing should be on the CT out of game time, or so important that it can not just be deleted and re-added to the CT.

Player should always have 'reparse' spell option, even if the token has been double clicked on to remove it. Its also possible to press 'shift' while selecting the re-parse radial for when you have made custom changes to the spell as normally a reparse might reset those back to normal. ( I plan to remove this double click functionality on the player sheets as player sometime loose the token.. )

The system has 2 slots in the configuration window, one for an 'Icon' and one for the 'Token'. The player sheet gets the 'Icon' unless one is not defined in which case it gets the 'Token' image. When a player drags from the player sheet to the map the current token image on the player sheet is used during the drag, BUT when the drop on the map happens the current configured 'Token' is used. So if you change the configured token the new configured token will be placed on the map.

See,

In the above 'bob' had the standard 'alarm' spell 'Token' on the sheet as no 'icon' is configured, and I change the configuration to the fireball explosion and dragged a new 'alarm' onto the map and it placed the 'fireball' token, while still showing the old 'alarm' image on the player sheet.

So the graphic placed on the map is always what is configured at the instant it is added onto the map, what is showing on the player does not have to match up.

While it would be nice to have small 'Icon' graphics for each spell token, I dont build the spell token graphics packs so icons would be needed to be added to the graphic packs, as its quicker to open the 'actions' page if the system has to sync 10 32x32 icon spell tokens than if it has to sync 10 1024x1024 spell tokens. As then only the 1024x1024 token is synced once it is added to a map. ( Chances of you using every spell on a character in a session is low so icons make sense as players tend to have more spells than they use !! )

Also the spell token on an NPC on the CT is also processed the same as the player, it might show the non-edited spell token but it will drop what is configured in the configuration window.

The only case is when you add to the configuration after adding and NPC as no reparse exists, because to cause a re-parse I'd have to delete and force a re-add of the NPC which would clear all damages/effect/init etc... as the 5e npc code only does the parsing on add. Obviously on a player they can re-parse that spell to update if needed.

A lot is going to be on how you use (or abuse) spell tokens and what graphics packs you have available or token to use. I dont expect a DM to suddenly decide mid active game that they can quickly add a new spell token to the system, as they can not just quick photoshop an new token and add to FG. ( Well maybe a great artist might be able to, but average joe can not.. )

Since the 'spell token configuration' window at the time of the drop sets the graphic on the map, if you change it during a session the player/npc image will be out of date but the drop will be correct on the map. I dont see it as too hard for a player to 'shift' re-parse a spell you edited or for the update to happen on next npc add to CT.

The only time this is an issue is when an NPC is on the CT and you decide to add a new spell token, as you need to re-add that npc. ( The player can just 'shift' re-parse the spell, or delete and re-add the spell... )

-pete

knightsoftheround100
April 29th, 2023, 12:03
Guys, my spell extension its working, but the players spells on character sheet dont appear like in the images.
Someone know how i can fix ? Thx

bratch9
April 29th, 2023, 14:22
Guys, my spell extension its working, but the players spells on character sheet dont appear like in the images.
Someone know how i can fix ? Thx

Try using the radial reparse option, with the 'shift' key held. ( It works without the shift key, but then it actually reparse the spell... If you have made custom changes or used grim press/rob2e custom versions of spells then the custom data might be lost... hence the 'shift' key held option to try and avoid data loss. )

If this does not work, more info will be required. Like what extensions you have so I can check out a possible conflict causing this not to work etc.

-pete

Iakal
May 22nd, 2023, 16:29
Hi there,
I have a question in regard to the B9 spell extension and I don't know if it has been posted before. I have 2 clerics with two different gods playing in the same FGU/5e campaign and we are using B9 (7.7). How can I give each cleric his own spiritual weapon? Even when I change the token of the weapon (I have a lot of different spiritual weapon in the assets) it seems B9 is only activating the last weapon changed, even when it shows different ones on the two character sheets. Any solution? Or am I doing something wrong?

craigbert
May 22nd, 2023, 19:27
Hello,

I just started a new D&D 5e campaign file and I am seeing the following error:
[5/22/2023 12:21:11 PM] MEASURE: RULESETS LOAD - 8.5529823 - 5E
[5/22/2023 12:21:13 PM] [ERROR] template: Unrecognized merge attribute (replace) for template (image_record_step), skipped. [2797083-B9_SpellTokens] [scripts/template_B9ST.xml]
[5/22/2023 12:21:13 PM] MEASURE: EXTENSIONS LOAD - 1.6848222 - 20

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Craigbert

craigbert
May 22nd, 2023, 19:33
...and when I try to import the xml file I get the following error and no way to *actually* import the file:
[5/22/2023 12:30:39 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "..7083-B9_SpellTokens:..pelltokens_B9ST.lua"]:201: attempt to call field 'isClientFGU' (a nil value)

Yes, I do have the B9 Common Core extension loaded.

Gawain the Great
May 22nd, 2023, 19:46
Create two different “spells” to use. Name each something slightly different for each player/God. Then assign whichever token you want to each specific spell name.

I do a bunch of customization that way. Might not be the only way to do it, but works for me. GL. Hope I understood your question.

bratch9
May 22nd, 2023, 21:28
Hi there,
I have a question in regard to the B9 spell extension and I don't know if it has been posted before. I have 2 clerics with two different gods playing in the same FGU/5e campaign and we are using B9 (7.7). How can I give each cleric his own spiritual weapon? Even when I change the token of the weapon (I have a lot of different spiritual weapon in the assets) it seems B9 is only activating the last weapon changed, even when it shows different ones on the two character sheets. Any solution? Or am I doing something wrong?

version 7.14 has been released, I'd suggest updating... Not that this will solve the issue for you. As other person said, create multiple versions of the spell in the configuration window, and have the player rename the spiritual weapon as required.

Is you take a look in the B9_SpiritualWeapons.xml file at start of thread, you will see them been called 'Spiritual Weapon (Baton)' for 'baton_spiritual_weapon.png@Spiritual_Weapons_by_J oe_Slucher' which has a set of spiritual weapon tokens ( linked at start or thread. )

Not sure if you are using this pack or a different one or your own etc..

-pete

bratch9
May 22nd, 2023, 21:34
Hello,

I just started a new D&D 5e campaign file and I am seeing the following error:
[5/22/2023 12:21:11 PM] MEASURE: RULESETS LOAD - 8.5529823 - 5E
[5/22/2023 12:21:13 PM] [ERROR] template: Unrecognized merge attribute (replace) for template (image_record_step), skipped. [2797083-B9_SpellTokens] [scripts/template_B9ST.xml]
[5/22/2023 12:21:13 PM] MEASURE: EXTENSIONS LOAD - 1.6848222 - 20

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Craigbert

Can you confirm you are using the latest spell tokens extension ?

The 'replace' term in that template was removed 8 months ago, in version 7.0. The current release version is 7.14.

This might solve your issue.

-pete

Iakal
May 23rd, 2023, 16:28
Hi Bratch9,
I updated and did as Camberme (GM) said on discord. Thanks to you both it works now!

craigbert
May 24th, 2023, 04:29
I do appear to have an older version.
What is the best method for updating?

craigbert
May 24th, 2023, 06:04
I played around with trying to refresh the extension and now it shows up twice in my extension list.
On the plus side when I pick the bottom one it is the correct version and solves my problem. The top one is the older version.
If it shows up in my list that means that the extension file exists twice in my directory, right?
Any idea what the file names are? I can find one easily as it is 2797083-B9_SpellTokens.ext.
Is there another one?

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 14:21
I played around with trying to refresh the extension and now it shows up twice in my extension list.
On the plus side when I pick the bottom one it is the correct version and solves my problem. The top one is the older version.
If it shows up in my list that means that the extension file exists twice in my directory, right?
Any idea what the file names are? I can find one easily as it is 2797083-B9_SpellTokens.ext.
Is there another one?

Sounds like you have the 'forge' version, which is in the 'vault' folder...

And probably the old one is '2797083-B9_SpellTokens.ext' in the extension folder.

if you look in the campaigns folder for you campaign name, you can check 'extensionstate.xml' as this lists the extensions.

You will see a line like if you are using the forge version,

<extension name="B9_SpellTokens" />

You will see a line like if you are using the DmsGuild version,

<extension name="2797083-B9_SpellTokens.ext" />

If you have both, keep the forge version as it will update with the FG updater.

-pete

Iakal
May 24th, 2023, 16:50
Hi again, a new question to B9 arised. The extension is up to date. No problems in the moment. But because of my difficulties with it (all solved now) I checked my other campaigns where I use it and there I found a strange thing. In the first campaign when I use the map suffix configuration, I find a list of spells. When I hit the map suffix button in the other campaigns, the map suffix configuration list opens the menu with only 1 line: "m__1,5. Shouldn't it show the same menu as in the first camapign?

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 17:13
Hi again, a new question to B9 arised. The extension is up to date. No problems in the moment. But because of my difficulties with it (all solved now) I checked my other campaigns where I use it and there I found a strange thing. In the first campaign when I use the map suffix configuration, I find a list of spells. When I hit the map suffix button in the other campaigns, the map suffix configuration list opens the menu with only 1 line: "m__1,5. Shouldn't it show the same menu as in the first camapign?

I would expect it to look like,

You probably have some old data in that campaign. Normally the best way is to just delete the
<spellsuffix> -> </spellsuffix> section in the db.xml. Or you can just delete them with the 'edit' box in the suffix configuration window etc.

If you are happy with the spell tokens configurations window, then just either of the above should sort your campaign.

But if you want to fully tidy up, and you dont have any custom spell token configurations. ( ie you only use one of the import configurations from the top of this thread ) The I'd also suggest deleting the
<spelltokens> -> </spelltokens> section in the db.xml as well.

Its not always possible to upgrade or keep the same formats of data over updated versions, I try and keep it consistent. But maybe your campaign is just suffering from old version data confusing the new version of the extension.

If you are happy with your spell configuration window values, and only have an issue with the suffix window values then feel free to just 'edit' button and 'delete' each line in the suffix window. ( It should clean things up. )

-pete

Iakal
May 24th, 2023, 17:40
Thanks for your quick response. I just found the difference between the campaigns. I hadn't imported the xml files in those campaigns. All fine now and thanks for this extension!

craigbert
May 24th, 2023, 19:25
Hi Pete, that was exactly my issue. Thanks!

One quick follow up: does it matter where the Spell Token XML file lives?

Sincerely,

Craigbert

bratch9
May 24th, 2023, 20:41
Hi Pete, that was exactly my issue. Thanks!

One quick follow up: does it matter where the Spell Token XML file lives?

Sincerely,

Craigbert

nope, but I normally advise to drop them into the install location for FG so they are easy to find. ( or use the 'extensions' folder, or 'modules' folder depending on if you feel like they belong to the extension or the spell graphics module they configure for !! )

-pete

Vague
May 31st, 2023, 03:56
Hey there. Wanted to let you know of some strange behavior I'm experiencing.

Ruleset: 5e
Extensions loaded:
B9 - Common Core
B9- Spell Tokens

Behavior: Tokens on a map only increase in size (never decrease) when resizing by holding ctrl + mouse wheel. The token always increases in size and will not decrease regardless of mouse wheel direction. When B9-Spell Tokes is not loaded tokens resize normally.

Actions taken:
- Deleted the the file from the Vault directory (e66f6712-eef4-11eb-8c52-0050562be458.dat)
- Deleted all files from Extensions folder and
- Forced redownload from Forge and DMSGuild

Result: No change in behavior. Tokens on a map only increase in size (never decrease) when resizing by holding ctrl + mouse wheel. The token always increases in size and will not decrease regardless of mouse wheel direction. When B9 - Spell Tokes is not loaded tokens resize normally.

Gawain the Great
May 31st, 2023, 05:43
Hey there. Wanted to let you know of some strange behavior I'm experiencing.

Ruleset: 5e
Extensions loaded:
B9 - Common Core
B9- Spell Tokens

Behavior: Tokens on a map only increase in size (never decrease) when resizing by holding ctrl + mouse wheel. The token always increases in size and will not decrease regardless of mouse wheel direction. When B9-Spell Tokes is not loaded tokens resize normally.

Actions taken:
- Deleted the the file from the Vault directory (e66f6712-eef4-11eb-8c52-0050562be458.dat)
- Deleted all files from Extensions folder and
- Forced redownload from Forge and DMSGuild

Result: No change in behavior. Tokens on a map only increase in size (never decrease) when resizing by holding ctrl + mouse wheel. The token always increases in size and will not decrease regardless of mouse wheel direction. When B9 - Spell Tokes is not loaded tokens resize normally.

This issue popped up after an FGU update earlier in the year. The solution is fairly simple. Just grab the following extension from FGU. It allows you to assign a shortcut key to Scaling and Facing Directions for Tokens:

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/3/view

I have assigned ALT to scaling: i.e., ALT plus Mouse Wheel allows me to size Tokens up and down on any map with any other extensions running. B9 may have another solution, but this one solves the problem and is even a useful extension beyond this issue.

Vague
May 31st, 2023, 05:53
Interesting. My alt + Mouse Wheel changes elevation right now, but I'll grab this and see if I can make it all work.

Thank!

Gawain the Great
May 31st, 2023, 05:55
Sure. Let me know how it works for you.

Vague
May 31st, 2023, 06:23
Well done! Turns out just having it installed fixes the issue. Ctrl + mouse wheel does exactly what it's supposed to do. No changes needed, just install and go. Thanks for the suggestion!

FIX CONFIRMED!

Gawain the Great
May 31st, 2023, 07:30
Great. Glad it worked! Have a good campaign!

bratch9
May 31st, 2023, 13:06
Interesting. My alt + Mouse Wheel changes elevation right now, but I'll grab this and see if I can make it all work.

Thank!

Yes since 4.3.3 release alt+mouse wheel is now a height amount on the map...

-pete

bratch9
May 31st, 2023, 13:09
Well done! Turns out just having it installed fixes the issue. Ctrl + mouse wheel does exactly what it's supposed to do. No changes needed, just install and go. Thanks for the suggestion!

FIX CONFIRMED!

I checked with just spell tokens extension, and could not replicate this issue.

But feel free to use https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/3/view not sure if its been updated with the alt+mouse shortcut side. And I've never used it so it could have implications on spell tokens that might not notice scale/rotation changes correctly and then not be able to 'select' correct for token selection etc. I'm sure it probably is ok, but I dont know how its interacting with ruleset functions and its load order to know if its working as expected for spell tokens.

-pete

bratch9
May 31st, 2023, 13:28

FIX CONFIRMED!

Just taken a look with the shortcut extension, while it looks like it works... it overrides the spell tokens special controls for <button>+wheel mouse actions... Like linked spells scaling with the player/npc token scale and the ability to fine/coarse rotate.

So I'd recommend, unless you actually want to 'change' the key bindings, that you dont use the custom shortcut extension.

We should look into why I can not replicate the issue with the negative scaling you are having.

Thanks, Pete

Gawain the Great
May 31st, 2023, 14:37
Problem is that without it, the token-grow problem can become terminal. Tokens can grow so big as to freeze FGU. The only solution becomes deleting the token and trying to be very careful in adjusting it at all to avoid the ever-increasing size issue. All of which makes any “fine-tuning” essentially irrelevant.

This is also why I used ALT as the scale option key. If the normal CTRL key sizing work, great, but if the grow problem occurs, I have a way to recover easily without upending the game.

I raised this issue in Discord months ago when it first popped uo. Others had experienced it and this ext seemed the best solution. It’s worked great for me since, but if you can figure out the underlying issue that would be even better obviously.

Thanks.

Vague
May 31st, 2023, 16:39
I did not think to check the spell token functionality. I will do that later today after work. Thank you for the follow-up.

bratch9
May 31st, 2023, 17:18
I did not think to check the spell token functionality. I will do that later today after work. Thank you for the follow-up.

v7.15 should fix the <ctrl>+wheel scale issue.

-pete

Vague
June 1st, 2023, 00:15
Well, everything seems to function as it should with Spell Tokens (that I can tell). When 7.15 rolls out I'll be able to stop using the shortcut extension, but for now this will work.

Thanks to both Bratch9 and Gawain the Great!

Morik
June 2nd, 2023, 00:31
Getting a 27 Stack Overflow error. Haven't used FG in a few months. I did update everything today though

Morik
June 2nd, 2023, 01:21
So, I'm probably doing something wrong myself

bratch9
June 2nd, 2023, 11:33
Getting a 27 Stack Overflow error. Haven't used FG in a few months. I did update everything today though

I hope you have figured out your issue, if you are still getting stack overflow error then please provide a screen shot to show the location. I can then see what possible situations can cause that, as it might be from an 'upgrade/update' caused by the long non-use of FG doing a lot of updates. This allows me to decide if its code issue(s) I need to protect against or code that just resolves its self by doing a 'something' that I then need to make people know about if we see it again etc.

But I hope from your other message you have sorted it out.

( I did a latest update just to check that nothing new in the last day or so from SW/FG was causing this issue, and I did not have any stack overflow issues on my quick test. )

Thanks, Pete

Maldev
June 3rd, 2023, 05:36
G'day there. We noticed that when a PC cast a spell at a target in a room using a spell token, a creature in the next room was now visible to the players via the spell token, having los from the spell token.
I have played around with all the options and have not been able to prevent it from happening in this campaign.
I have removed all ext in that campaign and it still occurs.
I opened another campaign with no extensions and the spell token did not grant los
57550 (RH part of image is PC instance)
Both campaigns are d&d 4E
No other extensions
Win 10 16g ram
Cheers

bratch9
June 3rd, 2023, 13:17
G'day there. We noticed that when a PC cast a spell at a target in a room using a spell token, a creature in the next room was now visible to the players via the spell token, having los from the spell token.
I have played around with all the options and have not been able to prevent it from happening in this campaign.
I have removed all ext in that campaign and it still occurs.
I opened another campaign with no extensions and the spell token did not grant los
57550 (RH part of image is PC instance)
Both campaigns are d&d 4E
No other extensions
Win 10 16g ram
Cheers

Yep this is as expected, the spell tokens are 'part of your group.' So depending on if you have the spell token 'selected' ( Which all spell tokens are marked as non-selectable, which FG does not seem to care about this setting !! ) You can see its 'vision' and it can be added into your group/player vision. Just like un-selecting your player token, gives you access to the total party vision from all players which also shows extra tokens that might not be visible to a specific player.

As an extension, access to the LOS control is basically non-existent, so I have to balance what is turned on. For example, I could probably stop this, but then your player might also not be able to see the spell token unless they move to it. My guess is that if a player places a spell token outside that players LOS and then can not see it to move it, you would have a different issue request to make it visible ? ( So its a balance, making it part of the players group causes it to have LOS options that might add to your group/player vision. )

When the extension is not enabled, it becomes a 'normal' layer outside the token system hence the difference in vision as its now not considered as a token for LOS.

This forms the vision/selection control in the code,

token.setName(name);
token.setActivable(true);
token.setActive(false);
token.setActivable(false);
token.setVisible(nil);
token.setTargetable(false);
token.setPublicEdit(false);
token.setPublicVision(false);
if owner ~= "" then
token.setOwner(owner);
token.setVisible(true);
if OptionsManager.isOption("TPTY", "on") then
token.setPublicEdit(true);
token.setPublicVision(true);
end
end

As you can see I make it 'Activable' to then allow me access to make it not active [setActive(false)] before setting it to not be Activable, I sets its vision to 'nil' and make it a single vision entity. If you are a player ( ie it has an owner, DM tokens do not get owner ), I set its owner to match and make it visible. Then check the 'group' vision option to enable the public control/group vision setting.

So this configuration basically matches what happens to a player token.

I dont see it as a massive issue, in most cases I try and keep spell tokens not selected. But if you do hand select it, even when its set as not-active and not-targetable, what FG decides to do it upto them. I just dont have control over the resultant LOS.

SW did add some new 'layer' bitmap control functions, I have a forum post on these undocumented functions, but the selection would not allow me to move spell tokens onto a 'layer'. These new layer functions are used in the new, since 4.3.3 release, death blood splats. Only the function to 'add' were created, so they can not be 'moved' around or 'deleted'. The only way to delete them is to delete the full 'layer' and clear all death markers ( a button is added to clear all death markers. )

The biggest issue with spell tokens is that SW method of spell tokens is you have your DM manually place them on a layer in the edit map, so they feel that spell tokens are 'done' from a code point of view. This makes getting changes to the API basically impossible. ( Or improbable )

My suggestion would be to not 'select' a spell token, in normal drag options I try and keep it not selected, in most cases the player would then only see if they 'deselected' the player token to get to 'group' vision mode.

Since spell tokens can also have 'light effect' with them, this also complicates the LOS.

Sorry this might cause you some issues, but from a DM point of view you could 'hide' the NPC's when they are on the map but not been seen yet. As this seems to be the case in your 'issue' situation, that the players have not reached that area yet and the spell token is giving them vision from its selected point of view. ( Note if it did not have vision of any kind, the map would be total 'black' with just the green ring showing, which is not a good view. )

If we ever get better access to api, and I do use multiple undocumented api functions, then I'll review what can be controlled.

But for now, I think my longer than you probably wanted answer is 'its is what is expected' and I have limited control on it.

-pete

Maldev
June 3rd, 2023, 13:33
All good Pete.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it
It's not a big problem, I only posted because I couldn't figure it out on my own! :)
Cheers

Morik
June 4th, 2023, 20:52
I hope you have figured out your issue, if you are still getting stack overflow error then please provide a screen shot to show the location. I can then see what possible situations can cause that, as it might be from an 'upgrade/update' caused by the long non-use of FG doing a lot of updates. This allows me to decide if its code issue(s) I need to protect against or code that just resolves its self by doing a 'something' that I then need to make people know about if we see it again etc.

But I hope from your other message you have sorted it out.

( I did a latest update just to check that nothing new in the last day or so from SW/FG was causing this issue, and I did not have any stack overflow issues on my quick test. )

Thanks, Pete

Is it possible that I need to update B9 Common Core...I forgot to do that

bratch9
June 4th, 2023, 21:51
Is it possible that I need to update B9 Common Core...I forgot to do that

B9 Common Core if on the forge, and should be updated with Fg updates.

B9 Common Core is on v0.1a
Spell Tokens is on v7.15

If you still have a stack issue, please provide a screen shot as it normally lists the line and file. If you include the chat window in the screen shot with the console, then I can also see your ruleset version and extensions loaded and the versions etc.. Also let me know that you are using the 'live' product, or 'dev/test/previous' as this is critical to reproducing the issue. ( Also windows/linux/mac etc.. )

I might then be able to provide extra information.

-pete

Morik
June 5th, 2023, 00:38
57582 I'll get more info when I get home. This was trying to add Mage Hand to a character sheet (MH has a template on it).

bratch9
June 5th, 2023, 12:26
57582 I'll get more info when I get home. This was trying to add Mage Hand to a character sheet (MH has a template on it).

Can I check if you are using FG Classic or Unity ?

As you are using the _FGC version from 2 years ago. This is not compatible with FG Unity which is at a much newer version.

I've not updated or checked fantasy grounds classic since SW basically stopped updating it, as I assumed it would be stable. ( I dont even have classic installed any more.. )

So please let me know if this is in FG classic ?

If its in FG Unity, then you have the wrong version loaded.

-pete

Morik
June 5th, 2023, 17:08
This is Unity57618

bratch9
June 5th, 2023, 18:55
This is Unity57618

you have both the 'FGC' and Unity version loaded, the FGC version is causing your error as you should only have one version loaded.

You should remove '2797083-B9_SpellTokens_FGC.ext' from your 'extensions' folder, for your Unity install.

Hope this helps.

-pete

Morik
June 6th, 2023, 07:26
Wow!!! Sadly, I've done that twice now! Thank you so much! All fixed in time for tomorrow's game :)

ThirdSign
June 14th, 2023, 12:30
I'm getting an error when I open the spell tokens configuration panel.

Leprekorn
June 14th, 2023, 12:51
Me too must be down to the new version. However spell tokens attached to a character sheet seem to be working fine.

bratch9
June 14th, 2023, 15:49
I'm getting an error when I open the spell tokens configuration panel.

Will take a look, It does look like a change in core that is causing this issue.

-pete

bratch9
June 15th, 2023, 00:26
v7.16 fix for fgu 4.4.0 errors.

bratch9
June 16th, 2023, 12:54
With fgu 4.4.0, and its ability to use webm/p animated tokens brings animated spell tokens into usage for this extension.

A couple example images using an animated fireball,

As can be seen, the animated effect shows up in the configuration, player/CT and obviously on the map.

Now we just need a good source of animated effects.

-pete

nephranka
June 16th, 2023, 14:03
With fgu 4.4.0, and its ability to use webm/p animated tokens brings animated spell tokens into usage for this extension.

As can be seen, the animated effect shows up in the configuration, player/CT and obviously on the map.

-pete

Very cool! I would definitely be into getting those.

Gawain the Great
June 16th, 2023, 15:41

-pete

Turns out it’s pretty easy to use and works perfectly with B9’s Spell Token system (now). Dropped my first animated spell token on a map last night. Super cool. Luckily there are some people generating that content.

I think there’s a separate thread developing for that content.

nephranka
June 16th, 2023, 15:45
Turns out it’s pretty easy to use and works perfectly with B9’s Spell Token system (now). Dropped my first animated spell token on a map last night. Super cool. Luckily there are some people generating that content.

I think there’s a separate thread developing for that content.

Do you have a link to the thread?

Gawain the Great
June 16th, 2023, 16:08
Do you have a link to the thread?

Sure. I was planning on linking to what I can find (and have found) when I get to my gaming computer later today.

bratch9
June 16th, 2023, 17:15
Sure. I was planning on linking to what I can find (and have found) when I get to my gaming computer later today.

Cool, if you add them to this thread, I'll edit the start post to keep them in a logical location.

-pete

Gawain the Great
June 16th, 2023, 18:08
Cool, if you add them to this thread, I'll edit the start post to keep them in a logical location.

-pete

Perfect.

This is an inexpensive patron that has a bunch of spell tokens available for immediate download after signing up at the lowest level. These are the ones I've converted and am beginning to use to swap out animated spell tokens to the prior ones.

https://www.patreon.com/JB2A

JB2A also have a "token animator tool" that you can access at a higher level of participation. They have a video showing what it does.

This site is a bit more complicated. I created a log-in and I think you can purchase a ton of animated content here. Looks like it's designed for Foundry VTT, but the files should work fine (perhaps with a conversion to VP8) for FGU.

https://forge-vtt.com/bazaar#search=%5B%22animated%22%5D

(I'll keep adding to this post as I find the others I was looking at.)

bratch9
June 16th, 2023, 18:37
Perfect.

This is an inexpensive patron that has a bunch of spell tokens available for immediate download after signing up at the lowest level. These are the ones I've converted and am beginning to use to swap out animated spell tokens to the prior ones.

JB2A also have a "token animator tool" that you can access at a higher level of participation. They have a video showing what it does.

This site is a bit more complicated. I created a log-in and I think you can purchase a ton of animated content here. Looks like it's designed for Foundry VTT, but the files should work fine (perhaps with a conversion to VP8) for FGU.

I was looking at https://github.com/jackkerouac/animated-spell-effects Which is also in your forge-vtt search but this is the git link.

I hope some of these people will create fantasy ground forge versions to make it simpler, and then we can have a setting.xml file for them.

The main issue is how to include the settings file to load as FG forge only allows the file to be packed in the module and then it can not be directly 'imported' in the spell configuration window. And FG forge does not allow 'loose' files. I'd love to make it 'simpler' to setup for the users with an author provided settings file etc...

Will take some thinking about. I hope we see more of the animated tokens/spells etc been made available for FGU users on FG forge.

-pete

Agamon
June 16th, 2023, 21:34
Perfect.

If you can figure out a way to convert their VP9 tokens to VP8, I've had that problem with these. Converting maps has been fine, tokens, not so much.

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2023, 21:48
Here's a better link to the JB2A stuff https://jb2a.com/

I reached out to them on their Discord to tell them FGU now supports webm stuff so they can update their web page (which currently says FG doesn't support webm). I've given them some information about the Forge and asked them to contact me if they need any further details on how they can support FG users.

Incidentally I understand the majority of their stuff is VB8 since they've had issues with VB9 so in most cases conversion of the assets won't be necessary.

Gwydion
June 16th, 2023, 22:42
Just installed but I need a little help. I'm not clear if I need to rename the .txt file to .bat and then put that somewhere in particular? Apologies for the basic question. I looked for a manual and tried to follow the instructions but not quite sure where to begin here. Thanks!

Gawain the Great
June 17th, 2023, 04:30
Just installed but I need a little help. I'm not clear if I need to rename the .txt file to .bat and then put that somewhere in particular? Apologies for the basic question. I looked for a manual and tried to follow the instructions but not quite sure where to begin here. Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly, what you are looking for are the .webm files. Download those. They may be in a .zip file or on their own. (The .txt/.bat files aren't going to help you at this point.) Then, all you have to do is make sure they are VP8 files (or convert them to VP8 using one of the converters mentioned in other threads). I have been having luck using https://www.videoproc.com/

Once you have the .webm files, you can simply load them into FGU images folders for your campaign or turn them into tokens by making a .mod file (from a .zip file). (There are other threads on how to turn files into "assets" in FGU.)

If I misunderstood what you got or need, just let me know.

Gwydion
June 17th, 2023, 14:10
Hey Gawain. Thanks for the reply. The only thing I'm confused about is what do I do with the .bat file, where do I put it, etc.. I was able to figure the rest out but I'm not clear if I need the .bat file or what to do with it. Thx.

plap3014
June 17th, 2023, 15:59
Perfect.

Hi, do we need to modifiy or convert in VP8? we can use them as is and replace each one of B9 spell token with them?

Gawain the Great
June 17th, 2023, 16:54
Hi, do we need to modifiy or convert in VP8? we can use them as is and replace each one of B9 spell token with them?

There’s a thread about right-clicking in the details of Explorer to see the Compression rating of each file (when veiwing the list as Details): essentially, right-click the topic headings and select More, then select Video Compression near the end of the scroll list. The first four numbers tell you the VP version: 3038 (VP8) or 3039 (VP 9)—but not every file displays this info for some reason that I don’t understand yet.

However, I’ve been doing batch conversions, seeing which tokens don’t appear properly in FGU, and then changing the resolution of those specific ones in another conversion pass.

There are so many that work on the first conversion pass, you’ll have plenty of choices.

I’ve been going through the spells we actually use first to select new tokens. It takes some time, and some don’t have specific replacements that I’ve found yet.

I look at it as an animated interpretive dance.

bratch9
June 17th, 2023, 20:09

I reached out to them on their Discord to tell them FGU now supports webm stuff so they can update their web page (which currently says FG doesn't support webm). I've given them some information about the Forge and asked them to contact me if they need any further details on how they can support FG users.

Incidentally I understand the majority of their stuff is VB8 since they've had issues with VB9 so in most cases conversion of the assets won't be necessary.

Thanks for doing the reaching out, getting more webm stuff onto FG forge will give dm's/players much more to work with.

-pete

bratch9
June 17th, 2023, 20:16

Hi Zacchaeus,

If you could also try and contact Jack https://github.com/jackkerouac this is another near 1400 webm files.

Thanks, Pete

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2023, 20:51
I don't see any way of contacting someone on GitHub. Not a thing that I really know anything about.

plap3014
June 17th, 2023, 22:18
If i want to integrade some folder with animated image, what can i do? i'm not sure of the procedure do see them in the asset folder

Gawain the Great
June 18th, 2023, 06:56
If i want to integrade some folder with animated image, what can i do? i'm not sure of the procedure do see them in the asset folder

If I understand your question correctly, there are two basis places to put these new .webm files to be used from Assets.

1. You put the V8 (converted) .webm file into your Campaign Images folder: ... SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\images\[your campaign]
2. You create a Token .mod and drop that into: ... SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\modules

It's fairly easy to create a Token .mod file, and there are a number of threads that explain this. Zaccaeus has some great Youtube videos, if I recall, that explain this and most of what you need to know.

From the images folder in Assets, you can use the .webm files as brushes through the Paint or Layer functions of the map.
From the Token's folder in Assets, you can use the .webm files for Spell Tokens or Tokens for NPCs or PC (obviously).

I have not yet used the .webm files to make full Map images. That's next. Good luck.

bratch9
June 18th, 2023, 19:02
I don't see any way of contacting someone on GitHub. Not a thing that I really know anything about.

Each of the depots has his discord in the readme text. https://github.com/jackkerouac/animated-spell-effects

Or on the forge site https://forge-vtt.com/bazaar/package/animated-spell-effects

-pete

bratch9
June 18th, 2023, 19:11

If you place the animated images into the FG install folder for tokens/images etc. ( Or in the campaign\[images/tokens] folders if you want then specific to a campaign. )

You can then look in game under the 'assets' button for 'tokens or images' and you should be able to find them in the 'data' or 'campaign' subfolders. You can tell if they are working because you should be able to see them animating in the preview window.

To use these in a spell effect, also open the 'spell tokens configuration' window, and either search/scroll to the spell you want to replace a static image with, and then drag the animating image from assets over the static one in the configuration window. You can then test drag from the configuration window onto a game map image to see how big the result animated spell token is. The you can scale the 'pixels per 5 feet' value in the spell tokens configuration window to get to the correct size. ( Or you can in windows use the right-click and properties on the file and look into the details to get the animated spell token size and divide it by the number of squares on the map to get the number of pixels per 5 feet. As I'm sure the animated spell token will be a different size to the static one. )

Hope this helps you sort out getting animated spell tokens working in your game.

-pete

Zacchaeus
June 18th, 2023, 19:14
Each of the depots has his discord in the readme text. https://github.com/jackkerouac/animated-spell-effects

Or on the forge site https://forge-vtt.com/bazaar/package/animated-spell-effects

-pete

I'm either blind or it's because I don't have accounts with any of these things but I don't see any kind of contact information. If you can access this then feel free to contact them.

Lo Zeno
June 19th, 2023, 11:46
I'm either blind or it's because I don't have accounts with any of these things but I don't see any kind of contact information. If you can access this then feel free to contact them.
For reference, the standard way to "contact" a developer on Github is to go into the specific project you want to talk about, click on "Issues" and open a new Issue with the description of what you think needs to be changed/updated/fixed or the bug you're experiencing.

So in this case, it would be here I think https://github.com/jackkerouac/animated-spell-effects/issues

Zacchaeus
June 19th, 2023, 13:58
For reference, the standard way to "contact" a developer on Github is to go into the specific project you want to talk about, click on "Issues" and open a new Issue with the description of what you think needs to be changed/updated/fixed or the bug you're experiencing.

So in this case, it would be here I think https://github.com/jackkerouac/animated-spell-effects/issues

Yep, that does look like a way to contact them. And I need a GitHub account to do that. Someone else pointed me to a Discord handle but a search for that name proved fruitless.

bratch9
June 19th, 2023, 14:36
Yep, that does look like a way to contact them. And I need a GitHub account to do that. Someone else pointed me to a Discord handle but a search for that name proved fruitless.

from https://forge-vtt.com/bazaar/package/animated-spell-effects

More than 450 (and growing!) animated effects for spells for use with various VTT's in the top-down/overhead perspective. All files are in transparent webm format. In Foundry VTT, fiiles will be located in your "Data\modules\animated-spell-effects\spell-effects" folder. If you like my work, consider saying thanks on Discord: jackkerouac#0624.

-pete

Zacchaeus
June 19th, 2023, 15:50
Yep, that's what I was pointed to but a search for that name doesn't produce any results. Eiethr that or I don't know how to search for someone on Discord which is also likely.

BaneTBC
June 19th, 2023, 19:18
Well, Discord has been having people changing their user names from Name#### to Name, so more then likely they have already changed their username to match the new format without going back and updating the places they might have listed it previously.

rhagelstrom
June 19th, 2023, 19:28
I forked the animated spell effects repo and set up a GitHub action to build a FG module which you can download from my GitHub.

https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-spell-effects/releases/download/v0.6.6/animated-spell-effects.mod

MrDDT
June 19th, 2023, 20:25
I forked the animated spell effects repo and set up a GitHub action to build a FG module which you can download from my GitHub.

https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-spell-effects/releases/download/v0.6.6/animated-spell-effects.mod

I want to warn people that this mod has versions of WEBM that FGU can't use.
FGU only uses V8, some of these spells are V9. It's kinda a chore to see which are v9 and v8.

One way to do it is you can turn on video compression in the details of the file folder and see if it says 3039xxxxx, or 3038xxxxx.

If you use a 3039, it will lock up FGU and you will have to restart it.

EDIT: Thanks fixed, stupid fingers :)

Gawain the Great
June 19th, 2023, 20:50
I want to warn people that this mod has versions of WEBM that FGU can't use.
FGU only uses V9, some of these spells are V9. It's kinda a chore to see which are v9 and v8.

One way to do it is you can turn on video compression in the details of the file folder and see if it says 3039xxxxx, or 3038xxxxx.

If you use a 3039, it will lock up FGU and you will have to restart it.

“FGU only uses V9..” should read V8

Just a typo. ;)

Lo Zeno
June 20th, 2023, 13:30

Something's odd with that module, because it doesn't even show in the activation page

bratch9
June 20th, 2023, 18:38

To find out the encoding do something like this on windows, using ffprobe off the ffmpeg site.

I used the https://ffmpeg.org/download.html and picked the windows 'Windows builds by BtbN' which is a github link to https://github.com/BtbN/FFmpeg-Builds/releases then just downloaded the 'ffmpeg-master-latest-win64-gpl.zip' version which basically has just a bin/doc folder with the 3 main 'ffmpeg.exe', 'ffplay.exe' and 'ffprobe.exe'

I generated this 'out.txt' file which you can see the video: vp8 or vp9 status.

EDIT:
I also had a play with converting the vp9 into vp8 using the magic_smoke_column_CIRCLE.webm from the 'air' folder, and decided this was an ok ffmpeg command line,

ffmpeg -c:v libvpx-vp9 -i magical_smoke_column_Circle.webm -c:v libvpx -pix_fmt yuva420p -metadata:s:v:0 alpha_mode="1" -auto-alt-ref 0 -crf 10 -b:v 2M magical_vp8.webm

-pete

@echo off
call :dirProcess
goto :eof

:dirProcess
for %%f in (*.web*) do %~p0\ffprobe.exe -show_data -hide_banner "%%f" >> %~p0\out.txt 2>&1

for /D %%d in (*) do (
cd %%d
call :dirProcess
cd ..
)
exit /b

bratch9
June 20th, 2023, 19:52
Something's odd with that module, because it doesn't even show in the activation page

You dont need to activate it because it only has 'tokens' in the module.

If you go to 'assets' window and select the 'tokens' section you should find an 'Animated Spell Tokens' folder with these in.

Also note that it looks like the vp9 source files have been converted to vp8 versions.

( I'm not sure if the vp8 and vp9 were transcoded into a common vp8 format, because every file has an '_VP8' in the name. So they might have just been batch converted without taking into account the source format. )

-pete

bratch9
June 20th, 2023, 19:54

Any chance you are looking to fork out the animated tokens side ?

https://github.com/jackkerouac/animated-tokens

( Or all 4 of his git depots. )

-pete

rhagelstrom
June 22nd, 2023, 02:39
Links to FG conversions (V8) of all four of Jack Kerouac's animated images/tokens repositories

If you downloaded the animated spell effects mod I posted earlier you might want to redownload it as I reencoded things

animated-spell-effects (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-spell-effects/releases/download/v0.6.6/animated-spell-effects.mod)
animated-spell-effects-cartoon (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-spell-effects-cartoon/releases/download/v0.4.5/animated-spell-effects-cartoon.mod)
animated-tokens (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-tokens/releases/download/v0.1.0/animated-tokens.mod)
animated-maps (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-maps/releases/download/v0.1.0/animated-maps.mod)

BushViper
June 22nd, 2023, 04:38
Links to FG conversions (V8) of all four of Jack Kerouac's animated images/tokens repositories

If you downloaded the animated spell effects mod I posted earlier you might want to redownload it as I reencoded things

animated-spell-effects (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-spell-effects/releases/download/v0.6.6/animated-spell-effects.mod)
animated-spell-effects-cartoon (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-spell-effects-cartoon/releases/download/v0.4.5/animated-spell-effects-cartoon.mod)
animated-tokens (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-tokens/releases/download/v0.1.0/animated-tokens.mod)
animated-maps (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/animated-maps/releases/download/v0.1.0/animated-maps.mod)

Animation editing is not my forte. That said, is there a relatively simple solution I can follow to get rid of the hard edges/borders on some of the effects? Also, in the same vein, a way to capture and loop the animation at its peak instead of having it completely cycle through the whole effect?

rhagelstrom
June 22nd, 2023, 05:21
Animation editing is not my forte. That said, is there a relatively simple solution I can follow to get rid of the hard edges/borders on some of the effects? Also, in the same vein, a way to capture and loop the animation at its peak instead of having it completely cycle through the whole effect?

Honestly I have no idea. Animation is great but it’s easy to get distracted by it. I just converted what was there. I just adapted what is there maybe badly because ffmpeg has always been a learning cliff for me.

BushViper
June 22nd, 2023, 05:33
Honestly I have no idea. Animation is great but it’s easy to get distracted by it. I just converted what was there. I just adapted what is there maybe badly because ffmpeg has always been a learning cliff for me.

No, you converted them perfectly. The aspects that I want to change are inherent to the file.

I was slowly converting them myself, but now I don't have to. Thanks a bunch.

Lo Zeno
June 22nd, 2023, 12:30
You dont need to activate it because it only has 'tokens' in the module.

I keep forgetting that image-only modules do not require activation. Thanks for reminding me.

Asgurgolas
June 27th, 2023, 02:44
How do I size tokens for effects? So far anything I set is either the wrong size (such as the default "20 ft circle" actually being 50ish, or not being able to size tokens appropriatedly (got a few animated ones, but they're either oversized or undersized for what I set'em for (such as a 10-ft Fireball or a 30-ft. grease). Also no matter how I set things up, all images are squares. (cubic fireballs XD). True, I only got the extension like a couple hours ago, but so far I'm having trouble figuring out how to manage it (3.5E)

bratch9
June 27th, 2023, 11:05
How do I size tokens for effects? So far anything I set is either the wrong size (such as the default "20 ft circle" actually being 50ish, or not being able to size tokens appropriatedly (got a few animated ones, but they're either oversized or undersized for what I set'em for (such as a 10-ft Fireball or a 30-ft. grease). Also no matter how I set things up, all images are squares. (cubic fireballs XD). True, I only got the extension like a couple hours ago, but so far I'm having trouble figuring out how to manage it (3.5E)

The spell tokens will only show the graphic you provide. If you want a 'circle' spell token the graphic needs to be a 'circle' in the source image(s). Its impossible to 'mask' a graphic file, so you can not just drop a square fire effect token and mask it to a circle. You need to provide a circle fire graphic.

The resultant size on the grid is controlled by the configuration window, and the 'size per 5 unit' number. ( Its combined with the image grid size which is normally also 5. )

To calculate the size you need to know the width or height of the source graphic, max will be used for non-square sources. But normally width is the best to use. Then you need to know the size of '5 feet units' or typical grid squares on the map for the token.

An example might be the 5e fireball, a 20 foot RADIUS token. Due to it been a radius token the actual width on the typical grid is 8 grid squares. ( ie. 8 grid squares * 5 feet per grid square = 40 feet diameter, or 20 feet radius )

If you have a graphic token that has a circle effect that touches the edges of the texture/graphic, if that texture is 500x500 pixels, then you have to set the configuration 'size per 5 unit' to 500 / 8 = 62.5. ( ie. texture width / number of grid squares to cover. )

If your source texture does not touch the edge of the graphics space, then you need to pro-rata the size depending on you source texture.

You can also do this adjustment by looking at what the texture size shows on the map, if your texture ends up been 50 feet radius or 10 grid squares and you expected it to be 8 grid squares then you can just increase the 'size per 5 unit' by [number] * ( 10 / 8 ). In this case you are using more pixels from the source texture per grid square and hence making it smaller on the map.

In the configuration window you can select the 'selection' area type of the token, it 'circle', 'square', 'triangle' etc... to the required matching shape of the source texture effect.

Depending on the selection shape you might have to rotate/flip or centre the graphic in the source spell texture.

If you find that the target selection area is too large when using the radial selection icons from the token, you can adjust down the 'collision percentage' For circle 95 is a good value to use if you dont want the fireball to 'select' people on the grid that the circle only cuts 'just' into. But this depends on how you as a DM are 'playing'

At the moment a lot of animated tokens are not fantastic for use due to the shape/orientation on the source texture.

Hope this helps you resolve your issues.

-pete

nephranka
June 28th, 2023, 16:25
Looks like a new error with sound? This ext only throws: [6/28/2023 10:23:25 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_soundset.lua"]:441: attempt to call field 'getBackPanel' (a nil value)

craigbert
June 28th, 2023, 18:22
I am getting this same error.

bratch9
June 29th, 2023, 10:18
Looks like a new error with sound? This ext only throws: [6/28/2023 10:23:25 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_soundset.lua"]:441: attempt to call field 'getBackPanel' (a nil value)

Looking into it, seem they must have needed the access to back panel.. spell tokens already needed this, so maybe now its available in core and I can remove my custom manager_image.lua file.

Should be a quick fix, once I've synced my local ruleset git history tree...

-pete

bratch9
June 29th, 2023, 13:22
v7.17 is released to fix the ruleset changes.

( It now does not need a custom core rpg manage_image to get access to back/full panel, as the new ruleset has added access functions.. )

-pete

nephranka
June 29th, 2023, 15:18
v7.17 is released to fix the ruleset changes.

( It now does not need a custom core rpg manage_image to get access to back/full panel, as the new ruleset has added access functions.. )

-pete

Looks fixed! Thanks.

Side note: I know we can hold shift and drop a token on a pc/npc to not link the two but is there a way to unlink them if they are linked already?

bratch9
June 29th, 2023, 15:25
Looks fixed! Thanks.

Side note: I know we can hold shift and drop a token on a pc/npc to link the two but is there a way to unlink them?

no unlink option.

just the option to not link if you drop on centre of a token.

-pete

nephranka
June 29th, 2023, 15:42
no unlink option.

just the option to not link if you drop on centre of a token.

-pete

Thanks!

Iakal
June 29th, 2023, 16:34
Hi there, after installing the update, I still get this error:

macDsinfo
June 30th, 2023, 05:11
thank you.

bratch9
July 1st, 2023, 21:00
Hi there, after installing the update, I still get this error:

If you update to 7.17 this should be fixed.

( I can just see in the image you loaded 7.16 of spell tokens. )

-pete

Iakal
July 3rd, 2023, 16:46
Ok. I did made the update. Didn''t update as the version number shows. Today I tried again and now it did update as the version number shows. Don't know what went wrong the first time, but very important: Its working now! Thanks!

bratch9
July 3rd, 2023, 17:19
Ok. I did made the update. Didn''t update as the version number shows. Today I tried again and now it did update as the version number shows. Don't know what went wrong the first time, but very important: Its working now! Thanks!

My guess is you are not using the 'windows drive thru rpg app' ?

We have seen some of the 'web' download not giving the latest version. I suspect its a 'clock' sync issue on the servers. With my upload hitting a different server to the one you download from, and it taking a while to realise the update.

The app is the way to go, but its only available on windows..

-pete

Morik
July 4th, 2023, 15:25
Well, I did something again...
I downloaded FGU on a new drive. Copied my old data set to my new data folder. Now I'm having Spell Token issues again.
On FGU startup I get this: 58102

Morik
July 4th, 2023, 15:29
When I open the Spell Tokens Tab under Library, I get this: 58103

Leprekorn
July 4th, 2023, 15:34
You are using an old version of the ext. I think 7.17 is the latest version you are running 7.15.

bratch9
July 4th, 2023, 15:37
When I open the Spell Tokens Tab under Library, I get this: 58103

Yep as others have said, v7.17 is required.

-pete

Morik
July 4th, 2023, 15:43
ty. That was quick :)

Vass_Dts
July 13th, 2023, 05:20
My guess is you are not using the 'windows drive thru rpg app' ?

We have seen some of the 'web' download not giving the latest version. I suspect its a 'clock' sync issue on the servers. With my upload hitting a different server to the one you download from, and it taking a while to realise the update.

The app is the way to go, but its only available on windows..

-pete

It's also available on Mac.

bratch9
July 13th, 2023, 13:05
It's also available on Mac.

The issue is more about if multiple updates to an extension happen within a hour or so of each other... ie If I fix a bug, and upload, but realise I left some debug text, so made a second upload to correct.

In this situation the 'app' will notice both uploads and give you the latest, but the web interface will say the second upload is available but does not download it. It can take a while for that second upload to be available to download from the web system.

I'm not sure on the exact situation, one of the other players having issues was using linux so only used the web library interface.

I've also seen from checking the purchases web api for dmsguild that it can list the 'lastest' version of the file, but it not actually be the latest revision it says is available. When you request this sort of info you get a list of files and the date/crc's for them, along with the current version. But sometimes the current version date/crc is not the 'latest' been listed in the 'list' of versions available. Normally you would expect the lastest file to be listed as the most current available in the list of files.

Yes the dmsguid is available in windows/mac (and android/ipad), having a linux version would be nice but I guess starts to fall into multiple linux distribution support and low user volume to justify support.

-pete

amanwing
July 16th, 2023, 09:28
will these work with AD&D 2e?

bratch9
July 16th, 2023, 12:32
will these work with AD&D 2e?

Will 'what' work with ad&d 2e ?

Spell tokens should work, as its not a high use ruleset possible 'issues' might not be updated for. Unless someone reports an error/feature issue.

If you are talking about animated spell tokens, as far as I know this should work as its not core to FGU.

-pete

amanwing
July 16th, 2023, 13:10
Will 'what' work with ad&d 2e ?

Spell tokens should work, as its not a high use ruleset possible 'issues' might not be updated for. Unless someone reports an error/feature issue.

If you are talking about animated spell tokens, as far as I know this should work as its not core to FGU.

-pete

I didn't even know animated ones exist. Sounds like something I need. But I wanted to know if players in 2e can use the tokens, place them by themself. I thought not because the html is empty when I import it even if the spell names are the same.

bratch9
July 16th, 2023, 14:51
I didn't even know animated ones exist. Sounds like something I need. But I wanted to know if players in 2e can use the tokens, place them by themself. I thought not because the html is empty when I import it even if the spell names are the same.

Can you provide some screen shots, as I dont have any 2e data I have to 'make' it to test things. ( Which could cause differences between real data and my made up data. )

This is a basic import, and use of 'alarm' on a character. I obviously just 'make' a 'spell' and called it 'alarm' as I did not have 2e data, and then added it to the character. ( But basic 2e google suggests it does exist, and you imply a good matching between 2e and 5e spell names. )

If you can show some shots of the configuration window, player, npc ct, map etc... so I can work out what stage you are having an issue, I can probably help resolve the issue for you. Or maybe you have exposed a bug for me to fix.

Thanks, Pete

amanwing
July 16th, 2023, 15:06
Can you provide some screen shots, as I dont have any 2e data I have to 'make' it to test things. ( Which could cause differences between real data and my made up data. )

This is a basic import, and use of 'alarm' on a character. I obviously just 'make' a 'spell' and called it 'alarm' as I did not have 2e data, and then added it to the character. ( But basic 2e google suggests it does exist, and you imply a good matching between 2e and 5e spell names. )

If you can show some shots of the configuration window, player, npc ct, map etc... so I can work out what stage you are having an issue, I can probably help resolve the issue for you. Or maybe you have exposed a bug for me to fix.

Thanks, Pete
The first problem is that the list shows no symbols. It does in 5E. I I dag on drop the fireball symbol on the spell and drag the spell to the character sheet it looks like this:

bratch9
July 16th, 2023, 18:08
The first problem is that the list shows no symbols. It does in 5E. I I dag on drop the fireball symbol on the spell and drag the spell to the character sheet it looks like this:

Have you 'adjusted' the source spell token graphics to be allowed on the 2e ruleset ?

have you edited the definition.xml file from <ruleset>5e</ruleset> to <ruleset>Any</ruleset> in the '769337-SPELL_TOKENS_2.1.mod' file ?

This is what I get with a basic made up 'fireball' spell added to a character and map. ( It a different fireball image, so maybe you are using a different spell token set, if so which ? )

thanks, Pete

amanwing
July 16th, 2023, 18:40
Have you 'adjusted' the source spell token graphics to be allowed on the 2e ruleset ?

have you edited the definition.xml file from <ruleset>5e</ruleset> to <ruleset>Any</ruleset> in the '769337-SPELL_TOKENS_2.1.mod' file ?

This is what I get with a basic made up 'fireball' spell added to a character and map. ( It a different fireball image, so maybe you are using a different spell token set, if so which ? )

thanks, Pete

I did not adjust anything. I will try that. This must be the reason that the tokens don't show up. That's why I used a different fireball.
I will adjust the files and report back.
Edit:
It works! I guess you can flag it as 2E compatible. Thank you! All I did was changing the 5e to Any in the xml.

bratch9
July 16th, 2023, 21:28
I did not adjust anything. I will try that. This must be the reason that the tokens don't show up. That's why I used a different fireball.
I will adjust the files and report back.
Edit:
It works! I guess you can flag it as 2E compatible. Thank you! All I did was changing the 5e to Any in the xml.

I dont own the spell token graphics set typically used from DMsGuild. And because its on DMsGuild it has to be flagged exclusive for 5e. ( Otherwise I'm sure the owner would have adjusted it to 'any' )

legal issues an all etc...

Glad its sorted for you, Pete

Farratto
July 20th, 2023, 19:51
I feel like probably I'm just doing something wrong or I've misunderstood what this extension is designed to do. I apologize as I'm sure this question has already been addressed but after several searches I couldn't find the answer.

I was expecting that I (or one of my players) can drag the graphic from their character sheet onto the map and it would make a graphic there, denoting to everyone their intended placement of their spell. This functionality is working perfect for us.

I was also expecting that there would be a way to target all the NPCs & PCs that fall underneath the designated area of the spell denoted by the graphic applied to the map. This functionality, I have been unable to get to to work.

Again I suspect it's something I'm doing wrong. Can I get some direction here? Thank you for your time.

MrDDT
July 20th, 2023, 19:57
I feel like probably I'm just doing something wrong or I've misunderstood what this extension is designed to do. I apologize as I'm sure this question has already been addressed but after several searches I couldn't find the answer.

I was expecting that I (or one of my players) can drag the graphic from their character sheet onto the map and it would make a graphic there, denoting to everyone their intended placement of their spell. This functionality is working perfect for us.

I was also expecting that there would be a way to target all the NPCs & PCs that fall underneath the designated area of the spell denoted by the graphic applied to the map. This functionality, I have been unable to get to to work.

Again I suspect it's something I'm doing wrong. Can I get some direction here? Thank you for your time.

Right click the spell token after its in the spot you want it, and you will see 2 options. One is for allies in the token area, one is for foes in the target area.
Holding Shift while clicking either will target all creatures in the target area.

So say if you casting fireball, drag it out into the map, place it where you want it, and right click spell token on the map, hold shift and click foes or allies and it should select all the creatures in the area of the FB and nothing outside it. Make sure to clear targets before doing it or it might have some old targets already selected.

Farratto
July 20th, 2023, 20:10
Works perfectly, thank you!

amanwing
July 27th, 2023, 16:02
I don't understand what the triangle, cone, circle and square settings do. When I drag the effect it always seems to be a circle. Can someone explain please?

bratch9
July 27th, 2023, 19:16
I don't understand what the triangle, cone, circle and square settings do. When I drag the effect it always seems to be a circle. Can someone explain please?

The system knows nothing about the actual texture for the spell token graphic. So has to be told something about it to process it.

So if you have a spell token square graphic file, and the draw a circle on it so for a fireball spell effect. When you drag this onto the map the square token with the circle on it will be shown. If you tell the configuration system that its a triangle shape, then the circle will only select as if a triangle was in that square graphic.

You should be able to tell this by how the 'hand/pointer' selection happens which it is over the graphic spell token.

Its also possible that you have a bug/extension conflict and the selection shape is not been respected. In this case some further information and screen shots to double check your configuration and what you are seeing would help work out if this is an issue at your side or a bug/conflict that needs to be looked into.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Pete

amanwing
July 29th, 2023, 10:50
Thanks! Now I understand. It works as it should. The tip with the hand/pointer helped.

Lawlesslisa
August 6th, 2023, 17:06
Hello, all,

I am not being able to configure a spell in the 'spell token configuration' system. I have restarted both the character sheet and the program twice or more times. The spell is Aggressive Thundercloud and in the PF1e ruleset.

Please help me out and thanks in advance,

Lawlesslisa

Ludd_G
August 7th, 2023, 10:34
Hi,

not at the computer right now, but I think you're trying to configure the spell in the wrong window. I think you need to right click in the Spell Tokens Configuration window (not the Map Suffix Configuration window) window to create a new spell line.

Sorry if I'm wrong, as I said I'm not on the computer at the moment, so I'm trying to remember the last time I set it up.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon

Lawlesslisa
August 7th, 2023, 18:32
Thank, you, Simon, that was it :)

bratch9
August 10th, 2023, 10:15
Hi,

not at the computer right now, but I think you're trying to configure the spell in the wrong window. I think you need to right click in the Spell Tokens Configuration window (not the Map Suffix Configuration window) window to create a new spell line.

Sorry if I'm wrong, as I said I'm not on the computer at the moment, so I'm trying to remember the last time I set it up.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon

Thank Simon for sorting this out with Lawlesslisa, was away for a few days and just catching up...

-pete

rhagelstrom
August 11th, 2023, 19:30
When I do a "reparse action", all the actions other than the first one are removed. Happens with Spell Tokens and B9 Core as the only exts loaded.

bratch9
August 12th, 2023, 03:10
When I do a "reparse action", all the actions other than the first one are removed. Happens with Spell Tokens and B9 Core as the only exts loaded.

If you hold 'shift' it should try to only update the spell token icon on the character sheet.

My guess is that you have a 'custom' spell, like from rob2e or grimpress, which dont properly parse. Try with no extensions at all and check a default reparse to see if the normal ruleset parse fails in the same way.

Its also possible that the ruleset parse has changed a bit, and its a bug in my extensions. Can you provide extra information, like the spell. ( Maybe an exported xml character so I can import it and check the encoding etc.. )

Maybe a couple of screen shots, and info like is this a player on a client or a player on the server.. ( ie maybe module load on a client with the spell been encoded with a link to a dm book etc.. )

-pete

bratch9
August 16th, 2023, 18:49

Just following up on this, I've tested with basic spells like aid/chromatic orb/fireball and these all reparse as expected. If i modify the fireball with extra damage, a 'reparse' removes this, and 'shift-reparse' keeps the modified. All sort out the spell token graphic etc.

My guess is that you are using a custom edit spell and hence just need to use 'shift reparse' and I suspect with no-extensions loaded the spell does not reparse either.

Let me know if the custom spell and shift-reparse sorted you out, so we have a resolution in the forum. ( Or I can look further into the issue if you provide more details.. )

Thanks, Pete

MrDDT
September 23rd, 2023, 20:39
Hey Bratch9, I'm running into some issues while testing an beta release for AURA ext. I was noticing a conflict where it looks like B9-Spell Tokens is notifying aura with a OOB_MSGTYPE_AURATOKENMOVE that tokens are moving that aren't actually moving.

I can give you the ext coding for the beta release if you need it, but you likely don't. Is this something that is needed for spell tokens? an oversight? Something that can be worked out?

Trying to get AURA's to do better coding for 5E spells like Spirit Guardians where it will trigger once per turn when creatures first enter the area or interact with the AURA.

Reply here or message me, or contact me on discord if you need more info.

bratch9
September 23rd, 2023, 20:44
Hey Bratch9, I'm running into some issues while testing an beta release for AURA ext. I was noticing a conflict where it looks like B9-Spell Tokens is notifying aura with a OOB_MSGTYPE_AURATOKENMOVE that tokens are moving that aren't actually moving.

I can give you the ext coding for the beta release if you need it, but you likely don't. Is this something that is needed for spell tokens? an oversight? Something that can be worked out?

Trying to get AURA's to do better coding for 5E spells like Spirit Guardians where it will trigger once per turn when creatures first enter the area or interact with the AURA.

Reply here or message me, or contact me on discord if you need more info.

Its possible the layer sorting is causing extra movement updates, as it tracks when people move and after a frame or two it re-sorts the token order with a +1/-1 movement jitter.

This allows the correct layers for player tokens to be sorted above/level furniture layer and spell tokens etc..

I'll take a look, but will probably need to grab the beta extension.

-pete

MrDDT
September 23rd, 2023, 22:00
Its possible the layer sorting is causing extra movement updates, as it tracks when people move and after a frame or two it re-sorts the token order with a +1/-1 movement jitter.

This allows the correct layers for player tokens to be sorted above/level furniture layer and spell tokens etc..

I'll take a look, but will probably need to grab the beta extension.

-pete

Priv Msg sent with github info

Gawain the Great
October 10th, 2023, 19:56
Hello again B9.

I went through a months-long homebrew using your Spell Tokens, customizing them, variously sizing them, and enjoying the heck out of them. Worked great!

Then, I created a new campaign to work on. I uploaded my prior Spell Tokens/settings into the new campaign. But now I can't get the Spell Tokens to resize at all. Even when I drop brand new, simple tokens in place. They always appear exactly one grid size. Which means that I can't drop them on a PC token and take them off, because they get stuck underneath it. (When I go back to my old campaign the Spell Tokens still resize just as they did before.) To be clear, I'm changing the first number not the second "100" number. Doesn't matter what priority I give them or what shape I assign.

I am using the same extensions and modules from the prior Campaign. I'm sure I've messed something up between the two. Maybe its a setting I missed. I just don't quite know where to look. Any suggestions?

bratch9
October 11th, 2023, 10:42
Hello again B9.

I went through a months-long homebrew using your Spell Tokens, customizing them, variously sizing them, and enjoying the heck out of them. Worked great!

Then, I created a new campaign to work on. I uploaded my prior Spell Tokens/settings into the new campaign. But now I can't get the Spell Tokens to resize at all. Even when I drop brand new, simple tokens in place. They always appear exactly one grid size. Which means that I can't drop them on a PC token and take them off, because they get stuck underneath it. (When I go back to my old campaign the Spell Tokens still resize just as they did before.) To be clear, I'm changing the first number not the second "100" number. Doesn't matter what priority I give them or what shape I assign.

I am using the same extensions and modules from the prior Campaign. I'm sure I've messed something up between the two. Maybe its a setting I missed. I just don't quite know where to look. Any suggestions?

If your old campaign is working but the new one is not could you check,
1. You have loaded the correct version of spell tokens extension ( current is 7.17 ). { Possible you have a dmg version in extensions and a vault version and you just selected the wrong version due to both been listed and you not notice etc.. )
2. open both campaigns side by side and double check the extensions loaded and versions.

How did you 'upload the prior spell tokens/settings',
1. did you 'export' from the old campaign using the button, and then use the import button on the new campaign ?
or 2. did you manually cut'n'paste from the db.xml file the sections ?
or 3. manually re-setup you custom items.

Things you could check... open both db.xml in notepad++ and look for the <spellsuffix> and <spelltokens> xml sections, to see how if they look the same. ( Note any active spell tokens get listed in <spelltokenlist> so you dont need to worry about differences in this section. )

If in the new campaign, when you add a spell token to the map, save game and check the <spelltokenlist> in the db.xml to see if its now listing the spell token. It keeps a list per map of the spell tokens, so if this is the first 'test' token on a map it should have one item in it. If this is missing it could indicate an extension conflict as its not tracking the ondrop to add to the tracking data and so not been considered as a spell token and so not been re-sized/processes etc.

Also are both campaigns in the same 'version' of FG... ie both are in 'live'. ( Again thinking possible different extensions versions if one is in 'live' and one is in the 'test' version. I dont think this will be the case as I think you would have said etc.. )

Also try creating a new campaign with just spell tokens + b9 common core, and import your custom spell tokens and just test that.. Just to sanity confirm that the spell tokens are working as you would expect. Then you could cut'n'paste in extension selections blocks from the 'extensionstate.xml' in the old working campaign into this one. So you can 'binary' chop in all the extensions in use, this might help find a 'when I add this 10 extensions' it starts to fail... then you can chop those to try and see if its an extension conflict.

The other thing it could be, but I've not see it no size the spell token, is if you create a new campaign and new test characters all on the host... when the character sheet has a spell added but not 'owned' by a player (ie still owned by DM) the dragged out spell tokens dont work for the player character as they have no ownership and hence considered as DM NPC. This can cause 'right click spell token select target from radial' issues not selecting correct... But is resolved once the player client connects to that character sheet and placed spell tokens from the client. ( And after this if you as the DM open that character sheet and drag out a spell token, it now works as expected due to the character sheet having an owner. )

Off the top of my head these would be the things I'd check, if you dont spot some issue please follow up with some extra information. ( ie if you find the spell tokens do end up in the <spelltokenlist> etc.. )

-pete

Gawain the Great
October 11th, 2023, 17:09
Thanks for all the great suggestions and places to look. I’ll go through all of it and let you know what turns out to be the issue.

Gawain the Great
October 12th, 2023, 00:58
Well... here's an interesting twist. I've gone through all of your suggestions. (Yes, everything is v7.17 and all campaigns are set up the same way and live.)

Also, yes. I'm exporting the Spell Token List from the original campaign that still works fine.

First thing: I used a Test Campaign, with only the B9 Spell Token and Common Core turned on. I imported the exported list of Spell Tokens from my original homebrew campaign. Works great. Easiest test is... can I drag a token from the Spell Token Window onto a map and have it be different than the standard grid size. Any adjustment I make in the spell token window shows up when I drop it on a map. Easy.

SO, the big test:

Then I turned off every extension in my New (problematic) Campaign except the two B9 selections, Spell Tokens and Common Core. I re-imported the Spell Token List. And the problem still exists: all the tokens get dropped at one grid size. So strange.

Which leaves the only potential issue, I suppose, in the Options menu, but since I have everything turned off... there are really no "options" which could be causing the problem. There just has to be something weird in this Campaign.

I will just start up a brand New Campaign and start working from there. I assume that will work fine. I'll lose just a bit of customization to a couple of mods, but really not a big deal. I just may never understand what I did wrong.

If the problem pops up with the next Brand New Campaign, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the detailed discussion. (Yes. I did go throu the db.xml files, too. They look fine, as well.)

bratch9
October 13th, 2023, 13:04
Well... here's an interesting twist. I've gone through all of your suggestions. (Yes, everything is v7.17 and all campaigns are set up the same way and live.)

Also, yes. I'm exporting the Spell Token List from the original campaign that still works fine.

First thing: I used a Test Campaign, with only the B9 Spell Token and Common Core turned on. I imported the exported list of Spell Tokens from my original homebrew campaign. Works great. Easiest test is... can I drag a token from the Spell Token Window onto a map and have it be different than the standard grid size. Any adjustment I make in the spell token window shows up when I drop it on a map. Easy.

SO, the big test:

Then I turned off every extension in my New (problematic) Campaign except the two B9 selections, Spell Tokens and Common Core. I re-imported the Spell Token List. And the problem still exists: all the tokens get dropped at one grid size. So strange.

Which leaves the only potential issue, I suppose, in the Options menu, but since I have everything turned off... there are really no "options" which could be causing the problem. There just has to be something weird in this Campaign.

I will just start up a brand New Campaign and start working from there. I assume that will work fine. I'll lose just a bit of customization to a couple of mods, but really not a big deal. I just may never understand what I did wrong.

If the problem pops up with the next Brand New Campaign, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the detailed discussion. (Yes. I did go throu the db.xml files, too. They look fine, as well.)

So the other option to test, is in the new not-working full campaign... is to go into the db.xml and delete the 3 sections I talked about... This should clear out all the spell token information back to nothing.... then just try and re-import your exported custom configuration. See if that sorts it out.

Spell tokens does not have any options that should cause size to go wrong, and most people probably leave the default options for exact testing. ( ie dont swap to graphics grid/quater based testing. )

If possible, could you attach the custom spell token configuration file. ( I know I'll not have your graphics to go with them... ) But I want to take a look to see if the exported file has anything odd in it. As I dont tend to check import/export of the files, past the basic standard ones attached at the top of thread. I'm sure the import/export is just loading/saving a block of the database, I dont remember doing custom logic for import/export. But with your custom file, I'll do a few checks to make sure its not some very odd import/export bug causing the data to get corrupted. ( Even though you reported the db.xml file looked ok.. )

Thanks, Pete

MrDDT
October 18th, 2023, 23:51
With the last update I'm having issues with only B9 Core and B9 Spell Tokens loaded with some things not able to target other things using control left click on the map.

bratch9
October 19th, 2023, 12:10
With the last update I'm having issues with only B9 Core and B9 Spell Tokens loaded with some things not able to target other things using control left click on the map.

Thanks for reporting this I'll have a look at the ruleset changes log to see what might need to be updated.

Do you have a specific case that I can test, ie is this players having issues using ctrl+left click to target or host side... are the targets visible to players when they should not be visible and hence not targetable.

Just trying to work out what is 'wrong' to focus the best location to look in the code.

Thanks,

-pete

bratch9
October 19th, 2023, 12:29

My quick look, and reading the release notes... suggests the [SG]etGridOffset offset changes... as this probably adjusts how the hit selection code works now.

I'll take a look.

-pete

bratch9
October 19th, 2023, 12:49
My quick look, and reading the release notes... suggests the [SG]etGridOffset offset changes... as this probably adjusts how the hit selection code works now.

I'll take a look.

-pete

Further looking and play also seem to show things like cone of cold not changing the 'hand' cursor in the far corners of the effect even after rotation.. This might be the grid offset change, but it could also be that the system does not 'update' the token now in the rotated square.

I also need to remove/deal with the magic 'B9' image layer that was part of an extra/old fix to try and get layers to work... now this is processed with the jiggle move it should not be required.

Also even without spell tokens loaded, if you increase the size of a player token the 'hit' box area becomes wrong depending on rotation.

So the issue you are seeing might be a 'FGU' level issue that needs fixing first.

I'll dig further to see if I can replicate it with just FGU and no extensions.

-pete

bratch9
October 19th, 2023, 13:25

Reported a rotated image cursor selection issue at FGU non-extension, which I suspect is the main issue causing the incorrect selection. ( Would need a fix before spell token selections would work... take a look at a non-extension standard token, enlarged and then rotated... you will see it not cursor hover/selection in the correct area... )

Also reported a senses issue I noticed, when players could see into dark maps without any vision defined.

-pete

Gawain the Great
October 19th, 2023, 15:53
Will do. Thanks again. I’ll try what you suggested and send over my spell token export file next time I’m there.

G

MrDDT
October 19th, 2023, 17:43
Reported a rotated image cursor selection issue at FGU non-extension, which I suspect is the main issue causing the incorrect selection. ( Would need a fix before spell token selections would work... take a look at a non-extension standard token, enlarged and then rotated... you will see it not cursor hover/selection in the correct area... )

Also reported a senses issue I noticed, when players could see into dark maps without any vision defined.

-pete

Thanks for looking into it, so we are waiting for a hotfix or update for FGU then things should be working or that is when you can work on a fix if it's not working on B9 spell tokens end correct?

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2023, 19:19
The rotation issue was addressed with a hot fix this morning.

The other item that @bratch9 mentioned is still being figured out, as we are not seeing the issue and asking for more info.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?79371-fgu-4-4-4-player-tokens-now-seem-to-default-to-darkvision-(5e)

Regards,
JPG

bratch9
October 19th, 2023, 21:52
The rotation issue was addressed with a hot fix this morning.

The other item that @bratch9 mentioned is still being figured out, as we are not seeing the issue and asking for more info.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?79371-fgu-4-4-4-player-tokens-now-seem-to-default-to-darkvision-(5e)

Regards,
JPG

The dark vision is my user issue. At some point the FG maps must have had lighting disabled between when I last used them for testing and now. Turning lighting mode on resolved this issue, by making the maps black as expected and gray with a darkvision distance sense.

The rotation selection issue is also fixed with the hot fix.

Thanks.

MrDDT
October 19th, 2023, 22:22
The dark vision is my user issue. At some point the FG maps must have had lighting disabled between when I last used them for testing and now. Turning lighting mode on resolved this issue, by making the maps black as expected and gray with a darkvision distance sense.

The rotation selection issue is also fixed with the hot fix.

Thanks.

After the hotfix (not sure if it effected my issue or not) I was still getting the issue, removing all tokens from the map, readding them fixed the targeting issues.

bratch9
October 20th, 2023, 11:56
After the hotfix (not sure if it effected my issue or not) I was still getting the issue, removing all tokens from the map, readding them fixed the targeting issues.

I can imagine with the get/setGridOffset that the token may well still be drawn in the correct location but now have incorrect selection position maths.

Let me know if you get any further selection issues and I'll take a further look into it.

Its possible the map you were using had an incorrect offset grid value stored in the map xml file eg <gridoffset>-1689,1438</gridoffset> while the <gridsize>84,84</gridsize> so the gridoffset should have been -83->0 range and not -1689,1438 as stored in the map. The loss of 1600 pixel on the 'x' due to how the get/setGridOffset now will modulo the -1689 into the correct -83->0 is why the selection could be wrong !!

Re-adding the tokens will have resolved this x/y offset mismatch in the db.xml file for your campaign.

The hotfix will resolve correct calling of update functions needed by spell tokens when tokens are rotated on the map. So you could probably have selected 'some' areas on the rotated token but you would also have areas the are supposed to be inside the token that were been missed. ( And areas outside the token that were been included !! )

Thanks, Pete

backwardoracle
October 20th, 2023, 19:03
Hi,

Not much of an issue, but something you might be interested in, after the latest update, there's a B9 logo overlay on character tokens on game load. It vanishes on movement so its not a huge issue.

bratch9
October 20th, 2023, 19:54
Hi,

Not much of an issue, but something you might be interested in, after the latest update, there's a B9 logo overlay on character tokens on game load. It vanishes on movement so its not a huge issue.

Yep seen it, just doing some tests with this bitmap disabled. It was added as it helped on token selection a year+ ago, as a special 'feature' to make selection work. My hope is that it is not required now, after the FGU exe updates over the year+.

The new fgu 4.4.4 does not seem to be respecting the initial setcolor for this, which sets it to color '00000000' to make it invisible. This is only setup once when the token icon is added to the token, in the past this started correctly as invisible but now needs some 'update' to happen for the new fgu 4.4.4 exe version to bother to apply the correct color to the bit map. Maybe its an 'order' of initialisation thing that would fix this now. But my hope is that I no longer need this bit of code.

working on update, and doing more checks on the set/get GridOffset change to make sure this does not need any code fixes since the 'hotfix' update to fgu 4.4.4 was released.

-pete

bratch9
October 21st, 2023, 17:45
Hi,

v7.18 updated with a 'blank' texture to correct for fgu 4.4.4 not respecting the widget setcolor. ( clears the B9 logo showing on npc/player tokens on clients until moved, as now it has a blank texture to use instead. )

-pete

Gawain the Great
October 23rd, 2023, 20:35
So the other option to test, is in the new not-working full campaign... is to go into the db.xml and delete the 3 sections I talked about... This should clear out all the spell token information back to nothing.... then just try and re-import your exported custom configuration. See if that sorts it out.

Spell tokens does not have any options that should cause size to go wrong, and most people probably leave the default options for exact testing. ( ie dont swap to graphics grid/quater based testing. )

If possible, could you attach the custom spell token configuration file. ( I know I'll not have your graphics to go with them... ) But I want to take a look to see if the exported file has anything odd in it. As I don'59124t tend to check import/export of the files, past the basic standard ones attached at the top of thread. I'm sure the import/export is just loading/saving a block of the database, I dont remember doing custom logic for import/export. But with your custom file, I'll do a few checks to make sure its not some very odd import/export bug causing the data to get corrupted. ( Even though you reported the db.xml file looked ok.. )

Thanks, Pete

Just getting back to my campaign creation, having created a new campaign from scratch. I'll let you know how it all goes. I'm attaching the Custom Spell Token .xml for your review. If you see anything odd, I'd love to know.
I'll update you with any issue from the new clean campaign, if any.

(Update: loaded everything into new campaign and immediately everything works fine. Not sure what that other campaign's problem was... but it seems to have been an outlier, for now.)

GG

bratch9
October 28th, 2023, 12:09
For reference I've bounced a couple of 'B9_logo' showing and inconsistent rotation bugs with FG devs, and they have quickly issues hotfix releases to fix these issues.

So a big thanks to the devs for sorting out the couple of graphics glitches that had been reported on the 4.4.4 and 4.4.5 fg release relating to spell tokens extension.

-pete

MrDDT
November 5th, 2023, 16:29
For reference I've bounced a couple of 'B9_logo' showing and inconsistent rotation bugs with FG devs, and they have quickly issues hotfix releases to fix these issues.

So a big thanks to the devs for sorting out the couple of graphics glitches that had been reported on the 4.4.4 and 4.4.5 fg release relating to spell tokens extension.

-pete

Great news thank you pete for all your hard work, and thank you Smitework Devs for being hot on the fixes.

mordkhaan
November 28th, 2023, 05:56
What Controls the size of the token when placed?
Notice that when I drop Spirit Guardians it appears to be a bit bigger than it should be
Only notice as am testing an Auras Extension that shows the 15' circle with a black circle and the token from B9 is a about 5' bigger all around

MrDDT
November 28th, 2023, 07:27
Notice that when I drop Spirit Guardians it appears to be a bit bigger than it should be
Only notice as am testing an Auras Extension that shows the 15' circle with a black circle and the token from B9 is a about 5' bigger all around

If you pull up the tokens list from the b9 icon you will see a 70 and 100 most likely.
The 70 is pixels per grid square. Increasing that number will make the spell token smaller when placed.

However. Can you tell me what is the diameter in grid squares of the spell token for Spirit Guardian currently?
Because it should be 35’ ft or 7 grid squares.

Also, AURA ext doesn't show black circles, I believe you are talking about another EXT called COP.

mordkhaan
November 28th, 2023, 09:03
Quite right about COP, thats the one I added recently.
So it looks more like 8 squares 7 full and 2 half each side
Been trying to put in a snip but isnt seeming to let me

bratch9
November 28th, 2023, 13:36

Had a quick look with spell tokens, the graphic I use in the below image is 490x490 and registered at 70 pixels per 5 feet. ( See red box on configuration. )

The pointer says its correctly 35 feet across.

Do you get different results ? ( ie can you attach a screen shot and check in a new campaign with just spell tokens, to see if this is a conflict between extensions. )

Thanks
Pete

bratch9
November 28th, 2023, 13:48
If you pull up the tokens list from the b9 icon you will see a 70 and 100 most likely.
The 70 is pixels per grid square. Increasing that number will make the spell token smaller when placed.

However. Can you tell me what is the diameter in grid squares of the spell token for Spirit Guardian currently?
Because it should be 35’ ft or 7 grid squares.

Also, AURA ext doesn't show black circles, I believe you are talking about another EXT called COP.

The token from Gareth is 490x490 at 70 pixels per 5 feet, which results in a 7 grid square image. Filename 'SPIRIT GUARDIANS 35ft.png' hence configured as stated from the module. ( See above response to OP )

I would guess that COP might be showing a pure 15 foot radius from the centre of the grid and might be expecting a 6 grid square image ?

Spirit Guardians is listed as 'Range: Self (15-foot radius)' if this was placed on a normal grid it would be 6 grid squares.

While I set the configuration xml relative to the spell token module graphics file information.

I can understand the confusion. I'm not sure why Gareth made it 35 feet, and you seem to have the same 7 grid squares etc...

Do we have any official questions response/reference about this to check it against ?

-pete

Leprekorn
November 28th, 2023, 13:48
I noticed the same issue in my game last night. Same token

bratch9
November 28th, 2023, 13:53
Quite right about COP, thats the one I added recently.
So it looks more like 8 squares 7 full and 2 half each side
Been trying to put in a snip but isnt seeming to let me

If you are using the Gareth spell token set and want it to be 6 grid squares, change its 70 pixels per 5 feet to 82 pixels per 5 feet.

ie, 490/7 => 70 pixels per 5 feet,
490/6 => 81.666 pixels per 5 feet.

Fractions are valid, but I tend to round up for ease.

-pete

bratch9
November 28th, 2023, 13:54
I noticed the same issue in my game last night. Same token

Do you think it should be 6 grid squares ?

if so, then the issue is not spell tokens but Gareths module as it was drawn for 35 feet and 7 grid squares. Which is what I configured the xml file for.

-pete

bratch9
November 28th, 2023, 15:53
So the 35ft/30ft ( 7 grid squares or 6 grid squares.. ) question ??

For me it depends on how you select for rounding and placement on the grid. A 15ft radius centred on a character for spirit guardians obviously reaches out to the mid point of a grid square, see attached..

If you run your game in a way that the guardians would damage the character/npc in the south then the total height/width of this 15ft radius touches 35ft or 7 grid squares.

If you run your game in a way that the guardians would NOT damage the character/npc in the south then the total height/width of this 15ft radius touches only 25ft or 5 grid squares.

So this is a rounding issue, I see why Gareth set the spell token to 35ft for inclusive rounding as I would guess most people would allow guardians to damage the character in the south on the edge of the 15ft circle.

I'm not sure if this clears up the issue with COP showing as smaller that the guardians spell token or not ??

-pete

EDIT: DMG p251 Areas of Effect. Talks about 'If an area of effect is circular and covers at least half of the square, it affects that square.' But it also only talks about effects starting on an 'intersection of squares', which normally with spirit guardians this will be mid-square. This for me would make this effect total 7 grid squares as it is 'inclusive'

MrDDT
November 28th, 2023, 18:27
I use all the exts
AURA Effects
COP
B9 Spell tokens + core.

I show it's working correctly with the Gareths Spell Token Module and my own custom ones using 490x490 dimensions in pixels.
The COP AURA is correctly matching the outside of the spell token with the outer edge of the COP circle.

The main issue is going to come from AURA not handling effects consistent with other effects. As AURA always counts it from the center of the token, instead of the edge. I do believe that AURA creators are working on a coding effect you can set for the "AURA" to point vs AURA range.

mordkhaan
November 28th, 2023, 18:47
In a clean campaign and I only see the issue if I change the token image to an animated one
If I increase the pixels per 5 feet to 82 it sorts it :)

mordkhaan
December 3rd, 2023, 03:53
Ok, so just started a new campaign, only loading B9 core and B9 Spell tokens
imported spell token template
Add PC to CT, drag PC from CT to map
add spirit guardians to PC sheet
drag token from pc sheet to map and get
Handler error: [string "B9_SpellTokens:scripts/tokenspell_B9ST.lua"]:289: attempt to call field 'setActivable' (a nil value)
any pointers where to look?

MrDDT
December 3rd, 2023, 08:04
Ok, so just started a new campaign, only loading B9 core and B9 Spell tokens
imported spell token template
Add PC to CT, drag PC from CT to map
add spirit guardians to PC sheet
drag token from pc sheet to map and get
Handler error: [string "B9_SpellTokens:scripts/tokenspell_B9ST.lua"]:289: attempt to call field 'setActivable' (a nil value)
any pointers where to look?

It's not just you, looks like something broken in the last FGU update.

mordkhaan
December 3rd, 2023, 08:08
I was kinda hoping that was the case as I had only just got everything working right a couple days ago!

bratch9
December 3rd, 2023, 12:07
It's not just you, looks like something broken in the last FGU update.

Yep probably broken by the latest update, its just a couple of lines in the extension so I can remove them... I'll do some checks to see if the api removal of this function then causes knock on issues that also need fixing.

-pete

bratch9
December 3rd, 2023, 12:40
7.19 updated to remove the now removed FGU function calls.

Forge has updated, but the updated DMsGuild version does not see to want to upload. ( I'm going to give the DMsGuild a some time to propagate the update, but it might need a bit of an extra kick for some reason !! )

-pete

EDIT:

1. Had a quick check and I'm not sure if spell tokens now do not get any LoS updates into the group... but thats good for some people and bad for others depending on how you work the spell tokens !!
2. Will do some debug on the above when I have more time, as I just wanted to get the tokens working on map and not giving errors.

MrDDT
December 3rd, 2023, 18:01
Personally, I like it better that Spell Tokens don't get LOS, but I can understand why some people would because it's hard to move it into place when you can't see the map haha.

But I really dislike when someone can see from the Spell Token location and bypass some LOS.

Arnagus
December 3rd, 2023, 22:35
Agree. Spell tokens should not have LoS. Had some trouble with spying with Dancing Lights around corners some time ago (until I startet to hide critters).

bratch9
December 5th, 2023, 20:39
retried to upload 7.19 to dmsguild, but my system is still updating to version 7.18 when I check the downloaded file.

Anybody on dmsguild actually seeing version 7.19 ?

I might have to make a version update just to make it change the hash value.

let me know,

-pete

MrDDT
December 6th, 2023, 04:47
retried to upload 7.19 to dmsguild, but my system is still updating to version 7.18 when I check the downloaded file.

Anybody on dmsguild actually seeing version 7.19 ?

I might have to make a version update just to make it change the hash value.

let me know,

-pete

I've seen this with other Author on DMsG. I currently have a ticket in to support about the issue.

bratch9
December 7th, 2023, 10:34
I've seen this with other Author on DMsG. I currently have a ticket in to support about the issue.

just made a version number change and re-uploaded to dmsguild, again it seems to want to download v7.18 instead of 7.20. Checked with the app and from mylibrary direct download. So something very odd going on with them. Will have to report a support ticked as well. From what I can see when doing a new upload, it does not seem to update the 'uploading progress' bar when selecting the 'update file', so maybe its just failing to do the actual upload to the server.

I'll update with information as best I can. Not sure how many people are still using the dmsguild version of the extension or if most people using it are on the forge version.

-pete

brianreid47
December 17th, 2023, 03:44
Is there a video or a detailed description of how to set up and use this extension? Thanks. Brian B.