PDA

View Full Version : Version of 5E Player's Handbook in FG?

Pankot
November 15th, 2020, 06:39
Hello, just wondering about the versions of purchased rulebooks (from Fantasy Grounds). Specifically, I purchased the 5E Player's Handbook (from Steam, if that matters), but it doesn't have the latest errata in it. A good example is the wording for Heavily Obscured area in the Environment section, which was made much clearer in the errata (instead of being blinded within the area it's now you're blinded if you look into a heavily obscured area). Not the end of the world, but my players and I use the Reference Manual from the Library to read the rules while we play, so it would be nice if the versions were current.

Is there a way to update the versions of what I purchased?

Zacchaeus
November 15th, 2020, 08:50
It should contain all the errata and normally it gets updated within a few days of errata being published. It looks like somewhere along the line some bits were missed. I'll check that out and get the PHB updated. Most likely it will not be until a week on Tuesday before the revised module can be released.

Pankot
November 16th, 2020, 02:33
That's great, Zacchaeus, thanks!

Pankot
January 2nd, 2021, 20:39
It should contain all the errata and normally it gets updated within a few days of errata being published. It looks like somewhere along the line some bits were missed. I'll check that out and get the PHB updated. Most likely it will not be until a week on Tuesday before the revised module can be released.

Hi again Zacchaeus, I'm just following up on this, but not in a hounding way (obviously a low priority sort of request) - I think I understand what's going on now: I was watching various FG youtube how-to videos (yours included!) and I realized every time someone shows their library activation (for whatever the video is about) they always have the Player's Handbook Deluxe edition loaded, but the one I purchased from Steam is just the standard 2015 edition (which I assume doesn't have any of the errata in it).

Is there a way for Fantasy Grounds to just update me to the Deluxe version of the book? Then there wouldn't be any manual editing needed. I would also suggest replacing whatever links are in the Steam store with the proper Deluxe versions.

Also, I scored a bunch of Steam gift cards for Christmas so was looking to purchase some more FG stuff (including rulebooks), so would like to understand the version issue before I buy if possible. thanks.

***Edit*** I should have noted that I checked the Steam store and there is no Deluxe version of the PH available (that I could find).

***Edit*** Happy New Year btw.

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2021, 20:53
No matter where you buy the Player's Handbook it always comes from Smiteworks (even if you buy it on Steam). Also no matter what it is called it is the same module. Originally it was called the PHB deluxe because of some reason that is now lost in time. For the last several years it has simply been the D&D Player's Handbook.

If, for some reason you think your copy isn't updating, then go to your FG Data folder and in the vault folder delete the file WOTC5EPHBDELUXE.dat and do an update.

Note also this goes for any module you purchase. All the modules come from Smiteworks. There isn't a different 'Steam' version. Every module just the one module no matter where you get it from.

Edit: also referring to your first post I did update the PHB for the revised wording you pointed out about heavily obscured. If, however, you see other places where the wording is wrong point them out here and I'll fix it https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64816-5e-Bug-Reports-(2021)

Pankot
January 3rd, 2021, 20:03
Ok, that makes sense that the file is the same no matter where you buy it. I tried to delete the file (and update) as you suggested, but I still see the same issue.

Regarding the Heavily Obscured issue, this is what I see in the FG reference file for the PH: 42505
And this is what I see from the Wizards Errata: 42506

It still says you're blinded within a heavily obscured area, which was deleted in the errata. I assume because it shouldn't be the case if you're looking out of it (standing in the dark but watching someone by a campfire - you're not blinded), only looking into such an area.

I'm looking at the Wizards errata, by the way, linked here: https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

I went ahead and checked out the rest of the errata and there are some additional gaps that I see (though mostly minor). I'm not sure the best way to report it, since it's a big list of page numbers in the errata, but I'll try using the link you provided.

Zacchaeus
January 3rd, 2021, 22:15
The forum didn't like your attachments, so I can't see what they are. I attach the current version of what the current PHB module says which as far as I can see is the same as the errata. This was updated on the 24th November https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63917-Release-Updates-for-November-24th-2020

Pankot
January 3rd, 2021, 23:29
The forum didn't like your attachments, so I can't see what they are. I attach the current version of what the current PHB module says which as far as I can see is the same as the errata. This was updated on the 24th November https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63917-Release-Updates-for-November-24th-2020

Sorry, not sure what went wrong with my attachments, but your edit still has the original 2nd sentence: "A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see the appendix)". You've correctly added its replacement from the errata as a third sentence, but still need to remove the old 2nd sentence. I believe if you look at a later hardcopy version of the book you'll see that sentence removed (again, because if you're standing in, say, darkness, you can look out of that area (at, say, someone standing by a campfire) and not be blind to that.

Ultimately, I think you've answered my question though... I do have the current version of the file from Fantasy Grounds; it's just that there are some missing errata still, so I'll post on the other link you provided to chime in there with what I think is missing still.

Zacchaeus
January 4th, 2021, 00:31
Right, looks like I’ve replaced the wrong sentence or the wrong paragraph or something. I hate trying to figure out errata. I’ll wait for you to post other stuff that you find and update it all at once.

Pankot
January 4th, 2021, 00:43
Thanks so much! Also, I really have to commend you and your colleagues for your responsiveness and level of care to this product. I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and really love it. Thanks again.