PDA

View Full Version : Non D20 (Runequest) Ruleset in FG2

hwapios
May 17th, 2007, 21:53
OMG,

I worked by butt off creating a very customized ruleset for my GM's Runequest game (with Gurps magic) and now i am looking at FG2 and it looks like a entirely new beast. I am freaking lost. I have looked over the official docs posted am i am begining to wonder since i am not running a D20 ruleset and i screwed?

If you are familure with Runequest you probably know that the character skill are calculated very differently. I have some massive xml calcs going on and in FG2 I can't even find where the math calcs are located. HELP.

I have posted some pics of my FG1 character sheets so you can see what the heck i am talking about.

lost,:confused:
hwapios

Griogre
May 18th, 2007, 01:30
FG2 is very different. Your calculations would very likely be easier to do in the new scripting capability but you would pretty much have to start from scratch other than the art and raw data.

Foen
May 18th, 2007, 06:19
It is possible to re-use the artwork, but one of the key new features of FGII is the way it positions widgets relative to containing frames, making the layout that much easier: I found that if I wanted to use this new feature, then the artwork was harder to re-use.

The scripting language (Lua) is neat, but the object model is only partially documented (take a look at the sticky post on the forum for links to two mini-sites). In particular, the methods are listed (such as getValue) but not the properties (such as window and windowlist).

Give me a shout if you want any pointers, the COC stuff I have been doing shares a common heritage with RQ, although your screenshots would suggest that the overlap is diminished.

Cheers

Foen

hwapios
May 20th, 2007, 23:09
Thanks falla's for the info. I am now looking into learning LUA. I seem to be getting the idea pretty quickly. If anyone is interested in learning LUA from a beginer standpoint i found a good website.

This site (https://robertico.ro.funpic.de/en/index.php) is from an "I have never learned a programing language, ever" standpoint. Very bigginer stuff. Very helpful if all you know is xml and html and what to move from tag based stuff.

Thanks again guys
now i know what i need to do :)

hwapios

SirJoe
June 23rd, 2007, 15:46
I'd be quite interested in this. How is the conversion going?

Foen
June 28th, 2007, 22:18
The FG version of CoC is in use (being used for real, in a campaign setting) but the FGII version will not be play-tested until later this year.

As regards RQ, I'm not your man.

Cheers

Stuart
(Foen)

phantomwhale
September 25th, 2007, 23:14
I am also interested to hear about any runequest conversion work going on, as it is something I am looking into doing myself, but would hate to duplicate effort, esp. as I am coming to this as a newbie to Fantasy Grounds, Lua and all that Jazz. (I do program for a living though, so don't give up on me yet, any other RQ fans reading this :)