PDA

View Full Version : Manual in-game data backup?

rushl23
May 17th, 2007, 18:46
So, there I was - working on my campaign - putting in every NPC and monster and whatnot. I'd been at it for several hours, actually. Then FG crashed! It had crashed several times already, so I didn't think much about it. But when I reloaded nothing was there! It was all gone.

It said something about a db.xml backup, and so I looked all over for it. I found one, but it didn't have anything in it either. Needless to say, I was irritated, so I quit for the night.

Today I was going to get back at it, but before I did I wanted to find a way to be /sure/ - *sure* - that what I had done was saved. I'd got the "Campaign saved" message a hundred times before, and ended up with nada. So, I want a way to save the gamestate FOR SURE. The catch is, I want to do it while FG is running, so I don't have to close and reload every 5 minutes. I tried making a copy of db.xml while FG was running (and even db.backup.xml) but apparently while FG is running it's all in RAM - I never could find the changes I'd made.

I also waited until I'd gotten a "Campaign Saved" message - and still I couldn't make a copy of a file that had /actually/ saved anything.

So, does anyone know a way to make a copy of the saved data while FG is running? I don't really want to go through hours of data entry with no guarantee that it won't just crash again and lose everything. Or am I stuck with closing/reloading every 5 minutes to keep from losing everything? Or better yet - is there a place other than the campaign folder that a backup xml file may be stored?

Thanks for your help!

rushl

Oberoten
May 17th, 2007, 19:43
/export is your friend?

joshuha
May 17th, 2007, 20:23
/Save should trigger a save to the DB.XML. It works for me while working on some stuff while testing with scripting.

andro1d
August 15th, 2007, 16:07
I ran into same issue. After restarting FG, is there a way to reload the saved info? It had just saved before it crashed, but my changes were gone.
A

Toadwart
August 16th, 2007, 19:52
Try typing /save in FG then (with FG still running) go and look at the db.xml file using notepad. If it contains your recent changes, which I think it would, then you could manually make a backup copy of it. If you are experiencing this type of 'lost data' crash you may want to create copies of db.xml on a regular basis.

When FG starts it will create a backup of the existing db.xml file but that really only allows you to recover back to the state of play before you made changes.

richvalle
August 16th, 2007, 20:17
What saves when you get the 'Campaign saved' messages in the chat window?

I had a crash of FG last night after abouty 2 hours of work and when I started FG back up all the changes were gone.

Changes = someone logging in and creating a character and me adding about 5 or 6 personalities.

rv