PDA

View Full Version : Adding professions and creatures

Theros
November 11th, 2020, 19:54
I just bought RMC ruleset (all the books) + Green Gryphon Inn.

As Green Gryphon Inn is based on Shadow World, I would like to add Shadow World races + some extra professions from good Old Arms Companion + Companion 1. How I can do those best way and not to mess up with original set?

Second question...when we will get Shadow World things and propably Companion 1 to this ruleset?

Good work in anycase and thanks!

Sulimo
November 11th, 2020, 22:55
The easiest way is to Drag/Drop an existing Race or Creature. This will create a copy of the Race or Creature that you can edit (unlock in the upper right of the window when it opens).

https://i.imgur.com/VNtClaN.png
https://i.imgur.com/exPf6nG.png
https://i.imgur.com/Gx1DAnpm.png

For Professions, I know Dakadin planned to get that working in a similar fashion, but I do not think that is ready yet (a quick test confirms that). I would have to defer to him on what the timing is.

Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30565-No-Profession-Profession) is an example of the No-Profession profession.

If you rename it from .mod to .zip you can open it up and see how it is constructed.

From there you should able to create any profession you might want.

Sulimo
November 11th, 2020, 22:59
I am guessing you mean Shadow World Modules like for instance; Cloudlords of Tanara?

I think those would depend on ICE and/or Terry to allow them to be published for FG.

For Companion I, I believe Dakadin is working on that. He can chime in to let us know if I am off base on that one.

Dakadin
November 12th, 2020, 04:03
I finished RM Companion 1 about 6 weeks ago. It is waiting in the queue to get released. I am hoping it happens next Tuesday but no clue if that will be the case since it depends on how many things are still ahead of it in the queue.

Shadow World modules are definitely a possibility and plan on creating some of them when I get caught up with everything else that I have on my plate.

As far as creating professions in the ruleset, I am hoping to have that down in the next few weeks. I have some of it already done but need to work out a few issues that are causing me problems but I have some ideas how to fix those.

JohnD
November 13th, 2020, 05:26
I finished RM Companion 1 about 6 weeks ago. It is waiting in the queue to get released. I am hoping it happens next Tuesday but no clue if that will be the case since it depends on how many things are still ahead of it in the queue.

Shadow World modules are definitely a possibility and plan on creating some of them when I get caught up with everything else that I have on my plate.

As far as creating professions in the ruleset, I am hoping to have that down in the next few weeks. I have some of it already done but need to work out a few issues that are causing me problems but I have some ideas how to fix those.

Beautiful.

It's been a long time since new DLC came out for Rolemaster... I look forward to buying RM Companion 1 on the day of release.

Calibre2112
November 13th, 2020, 20:31
Dakadin, thanks so much for all you do, man.

thanks
Cal

johnecc
November 14th, 2020, 01:39
Just asked Dave from Smiteworks how long it can take. He says it is unknown as once it is submitted, it has to go to the license holder, Iron Crown, for checking, so it depends how much priority they put on it.

JohnD
November 14th, 2020, 03:10
Companion I treats us to classic Rolemaster charts such as;

- conceptions chart (# of times a woman becomes pregnant and the # of children per pregnancy)
- birth injury chart (potential complications during birthing and what must be done to alleviate them)
- height to weight ratio (apparently I am the right weight for someone who is 7'2" tall...)
- poisons and rotten things chart (many nasty things)
- smoothed stat bonus chart (a good thing IMO)
- creation of magic items and magic items with special purpose, intelligence and alignment
- additional races and their bonuses
- additional classes such as the Paladin and the Barbarian
- new spell lists and spell casting classes such as the Dabbler and the Archmage

Dakadin
November 14th, 2020, 20:24
Just asked Dave from Smiteworks how long it can take. He says it is unknown as once it is submitted, it has to go to the license holder, Iron Crown, for checking, so it depends how much priority they put on it.

Thanks for checking johnecc. I appreciate it.

Bale Nomad
November 17th, 2020, 21:44
I have a player who wants to play a Moon Mage from RMC3. I was able to create the profession in a homebrew module and get it basically working; it shows up in the Professions drop downs, and it even had working skill costs, even though they don't show up in the standard Primary and Secondary Skills cost tables. Then I did something that broke the Moon Mage profession - primary skill costs still show up, but secondary skill costs are now all "4". Still trying to figure out that one.

Bale Nomad
November 17th, 2020, 22:24
I figured it out. At some point I figured out that the skills must be present in the same module as the profession, even though the links in the profession point to Character Law. Then each skill entry in the "skilllist" XML structure has a tag group named "costs", and each profession must have a tag in that group with the cost for that skill for that profession. The same entry exists in the XML tags for the profession itself in the "professions" tag group, but the skill has its own set of costs. I don't know yet if ALL the skill tags must be present, but it has to be more than just the "costs" tag group.

At some point I tried to cut down on the overhead and removed the "skilllist" from my homebrew module, and then none of the skill costs were showing up. I made a copy before i deleted it, and when I put the copy back, that's when the secondary skills all went to "4". It was late, I was getting frustrated, and I must have done a blanket find/replace in the editor or something. Oh well, I figured it out after some sleep, coffee, food, and time. :)

Dakadin
November 18th, 2020, 02:56
Good job tracking it down. Those can definitely be frustrating situations.

Bertus15
November 26th, 2020, 09:19
Does this only work with FGC? I use FGU.

I edited the mod file (find/replace noproffession with warriormage, changed costs, zipped, changed extension back to mod) and put it in the correct folder.

I can't find any indication it's actually loading the mod. No errors either. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54499-FGU-how-to-import-custom-MOD-file

Did I miss something?

Sulimo
November 26th, 2020, 18:58
Does it show up in the Module Activation Window (click on Library then Modules)?

If yes, did you Activate (Load) the Module?

If you created the .mod file yourself, you should see it in the Module Activation Window.

Here is a screen shot (from FGU), where I have added a bunch of custom modules, none of them are loaded at the moment though (all of the buttons say Load instead of Unload).

https://i.imgur.com/h55vMnp.png

Dakadin
November 26th, 2020, 22:14
Also double check that when it was zipped up that it didn't create a folder within the zip with the same name. The definition.xml and other files need to be at the root of the zip file and not in a sub-folder.

JohnD
November 27th, 2020, 02:53
Does it show up in the Module Activation Window (click on Library then Modules)?

If yes, did you Activate (Load) the Module?

If you created the .mod file yourself, you should see it in the Module Activation Window.

Here is a screen shot (from FGU), where I have added a bunch of custom modules, none of them are loaded at the moment though (all of the buttons say Load instead of Unload).

https://i.imgur.com/h55vMnp.png

Man... I wish those modules were in the store and we could buy them. Need more Rolemaster!

Bertus15
November 29th, 2020, 15:14
Man... I wish those modules were in the store and we could buy them. Need more Rolemaster!

Doh! I'm now officially a dumbass. Thanks a bunch guys!

I'm trying to automate a find/replace function for this module. Modifying all the cost took more time than I'd like. I have an excelsheet with 139 professions and the corresponding skill costs for close to 300 skills in RM2 style:

JohnD
November 29th, 2020, 21:17
Doh! I'm now officially a dumbass. Thanks a bunch guys!

I'm trying to automate a find/replace function for this module. Modifying all the cost took more time than I'd like. I have an excelsheet with 139 professions and the corresponding skill costs for close to 300 skills in RM2 style:

Daaaammmnnn.... that spreadsheet sure feels like Rolemaster!

Bertus15
November 30th, 2020, 18:18
Daaaammmnnn.... that spreadsheet sure feels like Rolemaster!
All I did was get some excelsheets of the web from other people and threw them together. Flexed some of my l33+ BBC B micro 5Killz... no seriously I suck at coding. :D But I do know how to record a macro and then clean up the VBA code. That's easy.

Dakadin
December 1st, 2020, 06:50
I've used Excel VBA to build the XML files for modules. You just need out output the right format to pull it off and have it read information from the spreadsheet. It took me a bit of research in how to do things in Excel VBA but wasn't too bad from what I remember.

Bertus15
December 1st, 2020, 07:30
I've used Excel VBA to build the XML files for modules. You just need out output the right format to pull it off and have it read information from the spreadsheet. It took me a bit of research in how to do things in Excel VBA but wasn't too bad from what I remember.

Working on it. :)

Dakadin
December 1st, 2020, 07:32
That's great. Let me know if you have any questions. It will take me a bit to refresh my memory but shouldn't be too bad.

Bertus15
December 1st, 2020, 16:07
That's great. Let me know if you have any questions. It will take me a bit to refresh my memory but shouldn't be too bad.

The idea is to create an excel that can help GMs create a custom mod with the professions they want. I doubt anyone needs 139 professions, but I realised that making a mod per professsion would create a bit of bloat.

Using the 'Workbooks.OpenXML Filename:=sCurrentPath & "\NoProfession_common.xml", LoadOption:=xlXmlLoadImportToList Method supresses the

<id-00001>
<fullname type='string'>Maneuvering in Soft Leather</fullname>
<name type='string'>Man. in Soft Leather</name>
<costs>
<warriormage type='string'>1/*</warriormage>
</costs>
</id-00001>

structure. Which is ok if you're only interested in doing a find/replace, but not if you want to add additional professions to the same mod. I assume it needs to go like so:

<id-00001>
<fullname type='string'>Maneuvering in Soft Leather</fullname>
<name type='string'>Man. in Soft Leather</name>
<costs>
<warriormage type='string'>1/*</warriormage>
<somenewprofession type='string'>2/*</somenewprofession>
</costs>
</id-00001>

Correct?

Dakadin
December 1st, 2020, 16:14
Yes that will work but I have been changing the professions so the skill costs are associated with them instead of with the skills. I have the initial changes done in FG and it should make it easier to create new professions within FG. I just have to work out a few issues with it still.

Bertus15
December 1st, 2020, 16:52
Thanks for the headsup. I'll continue to tinker a bit, but not waste too much time and wait for the new functionality.

Great job! :D

Calibre2112
December 9th, 2020, 18:58
Hey all! How are on being able to add professions? I really need to add Noble Warrior to my MERP
:D

thanks
Cal

Dakadin
December 9th, 2020, 19:28
I've been finalizing the profession update and it should be in Tuesday's release (12/15). It will allow you to create a new profession and fill in all the skill costs and the base spell lists. The GM would just need to share the new profession so that the players can use it for their PCs. When skills are added to the PC, the skill costs will be looked up from the new profession.

Dakadin
December 11th, 2020, 02:35
The profession changes are done and will be released this Tuesday. There is a bit more information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64360-New-Feature-Creating-Professions-within-the-FG-RMC-Ruleset&p=563939#post563939