PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought the Rise of the Drow: Collector's Edition?

Maetco
November 11th, 2020, 17:53
Hello everyone! On paper Rise of the Drow: Collector's Edition sounds very interesting but as it is such an expensive (not compared to quality or quantity as I can't know either one but compared to other adventures) "book" I'm hesitant to buy it blindly, especially as I have bought the Mini-Dungeon Tome from AAW and I was not happy with the quality of the content.

So, I'm hoping to find people who have bought the Rise of the Drow: Collector's Edition or even the original version either as a FG module or as a book and hear about their opinions about it. Especially I am interested in:

- The quality of the FGU maps: How well are the maps designed, how detailed are the maps and how well is the LoS implemented (the use of all the different LoS tools)?
- The quality of the writing: Is the writing good quality (engaging but consice), how good are the stories / plots, how interesting are the NPCs, does everything seem "finished" (compared to the writer having an idea of X such as a town and then only sketching it and leaving the rest to the GM)?
- Is the campaign a coherent entity: I've understood that the book has multiple modules which together makes up a campaign. Do they do this in a coherent way or do the jumps from one module to the other forced or do GM's need to come up with something to stich them together?
- How many new "monsters are included?
- Are the towns and other areas fully fledged or more like containers for some quests?

I warmheartedly thank anyone providing any information.

damned
November 11th, 2020, 22:45
If its on the FG store they have a 30 day money back guarantee - so if you are unahppy with the purchase you can refund it.

Maetco
November 12th, 2020, 07:57
If its on the FG store they have a 30 day money back guarantee - so if you are unahppy with the purchase you can refund it.

Darn, I wish I had known this before. Where is it said though and how does one use it?

vaughnlannister
November 12th, 2020, 09:24
You will see when you go to the purchasing steps, it will say 30 days money back guarantee.

Update: it doesn't say, I remember seeing it before though when going through the purchasing steps.

Zacchaeus
November 12th, 2020, 09:58
Darn, I wish I had known this before. Where is it said though and how does one use it?

Send an email to [email protected] within the 30 day period and ask for a refund on the purchase. I' don't think it says anywhere in the store but it's something that has been repeated a number of times in these forums and on Discord.

LordEntrails
November 12th, 2020, 18:45
If you do take a look at it and do a thorough review, I would love to see you post it on the forums or the FG Blogs :)
(I wish we had more product reviews in the community :))

Maetco
November 14th, 2020, 08:45
If you do take a look at it and do a thorough review, I would love to see you post it on the forums or the FG Blogs :)
(I wish we had more product reviews in the community :))

Well, I think the first step would be to support such activity. The store should have review option. Bare minimum there should be a forum section dedicated for this. Where would the most natural place be to post a review, the rules / system dedicated section?

LordEntrails
November 14th, 2020, 16:44
Well, I think the first step would be to support such activity. The store should have review option. Bare minimum there should be a forum section dedicated for this. Where would the most natural place be to post a review, the rules / system dedicated section?
I was doing them for awhile on the FG Blogs, but I've been bad about doing any in some time :(

I would put it in the ruleset section and probably preface it with something like "Review:" If we get people doing reviews, we (the forum mods) can either setup a sub-section or more likely make a sticky with links to all review posts. Perhaps one of the chicken & egg things. Without reviews to formalize there is no need for such a section, without a section it's seems like reviews are not supported :(

LordEntrails
November 14th, 2020, 16:46
As an aside, if you want a format for reviews, you could use this blog post for ideas on how to setup your own criteria; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?232-Virtual-Scribe-Reviews