PDA

View Full Version : Story Template PRO (Extension for Unity)

JimSocks
November 11th, 2020, 02:05
Story Template PRO
An extension for Fantasy Grounds Unity

This extension GREATLY boosts the power of story templates within Fantasy Grounds Unity.
It provides the following new powers:

Table Callouts [a]

No longer contain annoying semicolons between column results

Increased table column limit to 30

Super helpful given the rest of these new powers

Table Column Callouts [a|3]

Unchanged but still fully functional

References <a>

Now work with a multitude of different types of table callouts

Column Referencing #a|3#

Reference single columns of previously rolled table results

Callout Custom Naming [:a:b]

Create custom reference names for table results you generate

Callout Internal Rolling [:[a] [b]:c]

Roll on tables within tables

Callout Internal Referencing [<a>]

Use table references to determine which tables to roll on

Callout Internal Column Referencing [#a|3#]

Use internal column references to determine which table to roll on

Hidden rolls (using “?”)

Hide rolled table results in the generated story

Date Calls with formatting [Date:FORMAT] and [FGDate:FORMAT]

Insert dates into your stories based on either the computer clock or FGU calendar

and Cross-Template Referencing!!! (aka "passing parameters in") {:a:b} to call/store, {b}, and {#b|3#} to reference/retrieve

Use rolled results from one template, within other templates!

Check out the youtube videos below, as seeing the features above helps to grasp how powerful they really are.
Basically I have taken the awesome Fantasy Grounds Unity tool of Story Templates, and blown the roof right off them. The power this extension gives you for story generation is unprecedented, so use it wisely.

Video part 1: https://youtu.be/5DEdYRPDkNM
Video part 2: https://youtu.be/N3_Y7odDGZI

And here is a smaller video touching on two features and how they can be used within FGU:
Cross-Template References and Column References
https://youtu.be/p122r1bSEkY

Here is a video explaining why the v1.1 extra recurse is so awesome:
https://youtu.be/Uq9iy3OOiR8

I had absolutely zero coding experience prior to this, so it took me paying for a lua online class and several months of work nearly every day as I learned the ropes. I almost gave up several times- and now I am really glad I didn't!

This product can be found for $10 over on on DMs Guild Here:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/335793/Story-Template-PRO-For-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity

JimSocks
November 11th, 2020, 02:05
CHANGELOG:

v1.0: Release! (Nov 10 2020)

v1.1: Added recursive function for cross-template references. This means if you embed a cross-template reference WITHIN a table's results, Story Template PRO will take one last glance to see if one popped up last minute, and resolve it if so. This might seem like something small, but it adds some REALLY cool functionality to the system. With this in place we can now store values that are drilled WAY down into nested tables as well, and recall them within any story template, even the current one! Also, I tidied up the code a bit. (Nov 12 2020)

HERE's a video of why the extra recurse in v1.1 is so cool: https://youtu.be/Uq9iy3OOiR8

v1.1.1: No need to re-download this one, the code is the same solid version from v1.1 with the added recurse, I just spent some time tidying up the comments within the code.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2020, 08:30
Do you have permission from SmiteWorks to have this on DriveThruRPG? You need their permission to have anything specifically for Fantasy Grounds outside of DMs Guild. I know it's the same platform (One Bookshelf) but SmiteWorks have stated in the past that their permission is only for DMs Guild.

JimSocks
November 11th, 2020, 14:03
Oh NOW I understand what a DM from another forum member was trying to say! I thought they were synonymous. in fact, when I tried to put it on DMs Guild I was directed by the website to put it on DTrpg instead, and it made it sound like it needed to be that way because they were the parent company. I only realized something was afoot when I couldn’t locate it on DMs Guild after uploading it!

Bottom line: thanks for clearing this up for me! I have 0% issue with having it only on DMs Guild, as that’s what I was actually trying to do in the first place and got fooled into putting it on DTrpg first. It’s also good to know that they aren’t the same thing, as honestly that was a bit confusing! I’ll update all the links, posts, and uploads once I can get to my desktop computer this morning. Edit: done!

But I also want to know: what do you think of it!?

Dax Doomslayer
November 11th, 2020, 14:09
I'm assuming that the answer is 'no' but does this work with FGC?

JimSocks
November 11th, 2020, 14:44

Not *yet*

I don’t think it’s too crazy to make it work for both, but off the top of my head there are definitely several lines of code that will not right now, as FGC and FGU need different values for < and > within the Lua so as not to interfere with their xml.

JimSocks
November 11th, 2020, 19:19
Here is another video of it in use, showing cross-template referencing and column referencing in action:

https://youtu.be/p122r1bSEkY

Alanrockid
November 12th, 2020, 01:17
Easy buy... The possibilities are endless!

fabiocm
November 12th, 2020, 01:21
The videos are broken on youtube. The error ID slyNDLZHZ4B8yGiR is shown in the screen.

viresanimi
November 12th, 2020, 03:14
That was very likely due to youtube being down at that time.

JimSocks
November 14th, 2020, 19:55
Updated to v1.1- and added an extra recurse of the cross-template reference function. Why is that a big deal? See the short video below!

https://youtu.be/Uq9iy3OOiR8

JimSocks
November 15th, 2020, 19:18

In all honesty, itís probably very easy for me to make this work in FGC as well (I just havenít opened FGC in awhile!)

Iíll see if I canít knock that out this week and Iíll let you know.

Dax Doomslayer
November 15th, 2020, 21:23
In all honesty, it’s probably very easy for me to make this work in FGC as well (I just haven’t opened FGC in awhile!)

I’ll see if I can’t knock that out this week and I’ll let you know.

Cool! This looks really cool but I still haven't transitioned over to FGU. I have it but I'm still waiting and it probably will be a bit until I do so.

Alanrockid
November 16th, 2020, 23:17
If only templates could output directly to a shop generated by the the shops extension. How cool would be take all the raw power of this buffed templates to generate and populate a shop with 1 click...

corum Rask
December 18th, 2020, 22:15
Where can I buy the Story Template Pro...the link says on DM Guild but it is not there.

Cory

Zacchaeus
December 18th, 2020, 22:30
Where can I buy the Story Template Pro...the link says on DM Guild but it is not there.

Cory

Extensions that were available via the DMsGuild have been withdraw by the DMsGuid at WotC’s request.

damned
December 19th, 2020, 02:06
It will be back...

JimSocks
December 19th, 2020, 02:42

Cory

Ah. Yes, about that. It’s no longer for sale, and I am not sure I can (or even should?) talk about why yet.

You’ll see it again, but you won’t have to pay for it :)

So Stay tuned!

corum Rask
December 19th, 2020, 02:56
The Story Template Pro is exactly what I have been looking for...hopefully won't have to wait too long

Zacchaeus
December 19th, 2020, 09:14
Ah. Yes, about that. It’s no longer for sale, and I am not sure I can (or even should?) talk about why yet.

You’ll see it again, but you won’t have to pay for it :)

So Stay tuned!

It isn't a secret https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64106-Just-got-a-mail-from-DMsG-telling-me-they-are-pulling-all-extensions-for-sale-out&p=561106&viewfull=1#post561106

JimSocks
December 23rd, 2020, 07:32
It isn't a secret https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64106-Just-got-a-mail-from-DMsG-telling-me-they-are-pulling-all-extensions-for-sale-out&p=561106&viewfull=1#post561106

Oh, wow. I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the link, it was 15 pages of very interesting reading!

If I am taking the good news out of it all- it's that I can talk about it :)

I have been adding even sweeter functionality to STP in the lead up to it's implementation into the base game, and I have been writing with it's abilities extensively. It's intensely powerful. I'm writing turn-key procedurally-generated adventures over here with levels of detail ranging from the history of lands 1,000s of years ago down to the excessive dirt under an NPC's fingernails in the backroom of a seedy tavern, and everything in between. I can have a merchant with a rich family history, have a city with a street named after his great grandfather, and a cousin in the next kingdom over using that famous lineage to try and secure an ambassador position. Their last names can all match, and even a defining characteristic of their family line like a strong facial bone structure, or a myriad of other details. These details can be shared between templates and used at will.

Oh, and I've added some grammatical filtering. Now your results can intelligently capitalize if they are the beginning of a sentence, and the story template can automatically fix indefinite articles for you if you wish, so the results flow as smooth as a David Attenborough narration.

It's all very exciting, and I can't wait to make the next video to show what I am doing with it!

Milmoor
February 16th, 2021, 20:09
Is there a roadmap for when this is incorporated in FG? Or is it there, but is it FGU only (I'm still on FGC)?

Moon Wizard
February 16th, 2021, 20:19
There is no roadmap that we share. Our current priority is vision/lighting and community forge. This project is one of many projects on our list to look at for our ongoing plans.

Regards,
JPG

Fracz
March 23rd, 2021, 16:12
When the extension will be added on a new release?
I really want the extension.

JimSocks
March 23rd, 2021, 16:29
When the extension will be added on a new release?
I really want the extension.

Like Moonwizard said above- they have other fish to fry 1st. Trust me, as much passion as I have for story templates and the power this extension gives them- I want them to finish up their vision/lighting initiatives 10x moreso!

I am SO STOKED for what they currently have their hands on. If they stopped that to implement this, I’d be upset.

That said, I poured hundreds upon hundreds of hours playtesting the extension code, tweaking it to make the most sense I could to the end user without issues. In the end, if they wanted to, they could just drop the code in and press play and it would have no effect on existing game mechanics or published modules. Of course they can’t do that due to the responsibility they have to make sure I’ve done a good job (always QC, we are only human!) Additionally along those lines, I commented the code overly excessively to paint as full a picture as I possibly could, and I made a video just for them (in addition to the functionality videos I had already published) exploring the functionality even further and the code behind the scenes to assist with ease of implementation. All that to say, I hope when they DO get the bandwidth to implement it, that I have made the endeavor quick and painless for them.

As always- they can always reach out to me if they have other questions, and when it goes live I will make a comprehensive tutorial for everyone :)

Fracz
March 24th, 2021, 21:31
I have a suggestion, for a feature to add on the tool for the new release. I think its really necesary to force dice rolls (results). Sometimes I want to search for a specific row in a table.

Regards!!

JimSocks
March 25th, 2021, 00:37
I have a suggestion, for a feature to add on the tool for the new release. I think its really necesary to force dice rolls (results). Sometimes I want to search for a specific row in a table.

Regards!!

Hmm. I suppose I donít understand why youíd need to roll at all, if you were going to force a result? Couldnít you just type (or copy/paste) what you wanted from the table into the text block of the template, instead of forcing an arbitrary roll?

OrionsArmpit
March 31st, 2021, 05:07
I'm writing turn-key procedurally-generated adventures over here with levels of detail ranging from the history of lands 1,000s of years ago down to the excessive dirt under an NPC's fingernails in the backroom of a seedy tavern, and everything in between. I can have a merchant with a rich family history, have a city with a street named after his great grandfather, and a cousin in the next kingdom over using that famous lineage to try and secure an ambassador position. Their last names can all match, and even a defining characteristic of their family line like a strong facial bone structure, or a myriad of other details. These details can be shared between templates and used at will.

This is *exactly* what I've been bashing my head trying to accomplish in FGU for 3 months to no success. I'm trying to build Ready Ref Sheets or huge random table tomes like necromancer games' classic Mother of All Encounter Tables to generate hex crawl features & encounters randomly and on the fly. It's a current mess of tables & story templates that at the best of times spit out results that are jumbled and need human-parsing.

Where can I learn this wizardry!?

JimSocks
April 2nd, 2021, 00:08
Where can I learn this wizardry!?

Itís coming! Once it makes it into the live code Iíll check to make sure my tutorial videos are still applicable, and then Iíll teach everyone the wizarding ways!

maobul
April 12th, 2021, 13:07
You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this! :)