PDA

View Full Version : Adding a bonus to Perception

Willot
November 10th, 2020, 23:05
If I add the Effect "SKILL: +2" all skills get a +2, except for Perception, which I assume is because technically Perception isnt a skill (this is on a NPC I haven't tested for a PC)

So Is there a way to pop a +2 onto perception as an effect?

bigdummy
November 10th, 2020, 23:35
Technically it IS a skill, isn't it? Just on NPCs you're using it for initiative most of the time.

Have you added Perception to the "skills" box and tried it? 40986

IDK if I'm right, just spitballing.

Willot
November 11th, 2020, 00:11
Nah I did try that didnt make a difference.

If ya look in the core rule book under Skill Descriptions you will find Perception isnt listed. So if there is anything that's says it applies to skill checks, it never applies to Perception.

Its only done in FG as a skill cause it pretty much works the same way and it was a quick and dirty way of having without having to separate it out in to it's own thing.

Occurs to me I should see if any other creatures have a special bonus to perception and I can check how it was done in the bestiary.

EDIT:Found it ! It does have a separate thing PERC:

Trenloe
November 11th, 2020, 08:23
Yep, perception is not technically a skill and so the SKILL effect doesn't modify Perception checks - as noted in the Wiki.

Darkrite
November 11th, 2020, 13:32
When one of my players ended up with Goggles of night. I gave him the following effect. PERC: 1 item; INIT: -1

This way he can get the bonus to perception without affecting his initiative.

Farnaby
November 16th, 2020, 18:25
When one of my players ended up with Goggles of night. I gave him the following effect. PERC: 1 item; INIT: -1

This way he can get the bonus to perception without affecting his initiative.

That's clever, good idea.
I will appropriate it. :-)