PDA

View Full Version : how do I get Fantasy ground Unity on Steam when I bought it before on site?

KuroGensui
November 8th, 2020, 10:52
Hey so I was wondering now that FG unity has released ... I want to add it on my steam library,
My account is sync'd ...

But i can't seem to see the software in my library on steam ...
There is also no free demo version( in steam ) to download on which I might link my Ultimate edition key ...

To elaborate, I searched steam store for Fantasy ground unity free demo to download the software in steam and it shows a link, but once you click that your redirected to main Fantasy Grounds Unity store page in steam and no free demo download available ...
So yeah I cant really think of other ways to get it.

So any help would be appreciated.

fubeca150
November 8th, 2020, 15:34
Put your serial from your Fantasy Grounds account into Steam. The Steam sync is only FROM Steam. You have to manually add your FGU key in Steam.

Zacchaeus
November 8th, 2020, 16:14
In Steam go to the menu bar at the top and click on Game then on Activate a Product on Steam. Enter your license key when it pops up and it will get added to your Steam library. Note that it can take up to six weeks or more for Smiteworks to send license keys to Steam so if you purchased recently Valve may not have you key yet and it will give you an error.

Lethann
November 12th, 2020, 00:42
Thank you guys so much. I sponsored the Kickstarter so had my key long before it was on steam.

Lordark
February 18th, 2023, 14:22
In Steam go to the menu bar at the top and click on Game then on Activate a Product on Steam. Enter your license key when it pops up and it will get added to your Steam library. Note that it can take up to six weeks or more for Smiteworks to send license keys to Steam so if you purchased recently Valve may not have you key yet and it will give you an error.

I purchased Fantasy Grounds Ultimate on 2022-12-28 (nine weeks ago) on the Fantasy Grounds site.
The license activation code is formatted AAAAA-BB#BB-CCCCC-D####-#E#E#
When I enter the product code into Steam and click Continue, I get the message:
"The product code you've entered is not valid or is not a product code."
What gives?

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2023, 14:54
Welcome to the forums.

It can take a few weeks for Simteworks to send codes to Steam. I believe it's only done once a quarter or so. Your key will eventually be recognised by Steam; it'll just take time.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2023, 15:03
I purchased Fantasy Grounds Ultimate on 2022-12-28 (nine weeks ago) on the Fantasy Grounds site.
The license activation code is formatted AAAAA-BB#BB-CCCCC-D####-#E#E#
When I enter the product code into Steam and click Continue, I get the message:
"The product code you've entered is not valid or is not a product code."
What gives?
Welcome to the FG forums!

Keep an eye on this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1196310/discussions/0/2945872608892325681/

Lordark
February 18th, 2023, 15:11
Welcome to the forums.

It can take a few weeks for Simteworks to send codes to Steam. I believe it's only done once a quarter or so. Your key will eventually be recognised by Steam; it'll just take time.
Thanks for the quick reply.

By "a few weeks" do you mean that it can take up to twelve weeks, depending on when it was purchased during a given quarter?

But then, if it's once a quarter, wouldn't it have updated right around new year since I purchased it in mid December of last year (2022)?

These seems like questions nobody should have to ask about not-free software that's been around for as many years as FG has. This interaction between FG and Steam seems like something that should be fully grasped by the representatives of FG and/or clearly and visibly explained to their clients. Maybe it is and I just didn't notice? If that's the case, please educate me.

EDIT:

Welcome to the FG forums!

Keep an eye on this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1196310/discussions/0/2945872608892325681/

According to that forum, my code should be "live" as I purchased it 7 days prior to the most recently submitted batch 2022-12-19.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2023, 15:18

According to that forum, my code should be "live" as I purchased it 7 days prior to the most recently submitted batch 2022-12-19.
Your first post said you purchased on December 28th?

Trenloe
February 18th, 2023, 15:20
These seems like questions nobody should have to ask about not-free software that's been around for as many years as FG has. This interaction between FG and Steam seems like something that should be fully grasped by the representatives of FG and/or clearly and visibly explained to their clients. Maybe it is and I just didn't notice? If that's the case, please educate me.
More information on Steam activation in the website FAQs here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996638950/License+Keys+F.A.Q.#I-Just-bought-a-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-one-time-license.-Can-I-add-it-to-Steam-right-away?

Lordark
February 18th, 2023, 15:29
Your first post said you purchased on December 28th?
Oh, my bad, you're right. I misremembered 12 as the day, not the month.

Looking at that Steam thread, there's no apparent chronological pattern to batch submissions. That's pretty frustrating. I feel like it shouldn't be necessary to have to make these observations or inquiries. Like there should be a very visible explanation at the time of purchase that an activation could take months. Better yet, there should at the be set dates for batch submissions and they should be public information. And they could be supplemented with intermittent submissions between the set dates.

EDIT: By the way, the FAQ is wrong. Batches aren't submitted every 4-6 weeks. A perfunctory perusal of the Steam thread shows that it varies 3-11 weeks. It's all over the place. Unless they don't post every submission, which simply adds to the confusion.

Lordark
February 18th, 2023, 15:49
The lack of information prompts clients to enter our product codes DAILY for up to 90 days in the hopes that it's finally been submitted.

Is it faster the other way around? I mean, if we buy FG products on Steam, will they sync to FG website instantly?

Trenloe
February 18th, 2023, 16:44
Is it faster the other way around? I mean, if we buy FG products on Steam, will they sync to FG website instantly?
You'll never see your Steam purchases on the FG store. But what you do get is your Steam purchases tied to your FG account via the Steam sync process detailed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncSteamAccount.xcp Having the Steam purchases tied to your account means that FG will download these when you run an update - but, as mentioned, they won't be shown as "Bought" in the FG store, because they were bought on another store (Steam).

You're obviously frustrated, I get that; but what led you to believe that purchasing your FG license on the FG store would give you the same license immediately on a different store (Steam)? If there's something on the FG store or Steam that led you to believe that, please let Smiteworks know so that they can adjust the wording as needed. It appears you've made an incorrect assumption, and if there's wording somewhere that had led you to that assumption then it will need to be addressed.

As eluded to in the "I Just bought a Fantasy Grounds Unity one-time license. Can I add it to Steam right away?" FAQ entry, the whole process of getting FG keys purchased on the FG side into Steam is a manual process for both SmiteWorks and Steam - hence it's done at irregular time periods as Smiteworks is a small company and they do the irregular manual export when they can.

Basically, the assumption is that if you purchase your license on the FG store, you'll probably be purchasing further FG products on the FG store. If you're going to be purchasing your FG products on Steam, you'll probably buy your license on Steam. It's great that Smiteworks goes through the manual, laborious task of providing Steam with keys so users can enter their FG store purchased licenses into Steam - but this is not an automatic process and probably not prioritized as the assumption is that you'll buy FG products on the same store that you bought your FG license. As it's such a laborious task, it's not done at regular intervals. Certainly not an ideal situation, but it's good that Smiteworks do this.

Again, if there's any wording on the FG store or Steam that led you to believe otherwise, please let Smiteworks know.

Also, if you have any direct complaint regarding this, then please reach out to Smiteworks directly - we are just community members trying to provide help and guidance around this. You can contact Smiteworks directly via the support portal: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

LordEntrails
February 18th, 2023, 16:49
I mean, if we buy FG products on Steam, will they sync to FG website instantly?
Yes, because Steam is only a store front for FG. It does not actually host or deliver FG. When you launch FG via Steam it just puts a wrapper on the FG launcher and then runs the FG launcher. All updates are done through the FG updater application and come from the FG servers.

The only reasons I know of to use Stam are:
- Regional Prices for certain international regions
- The timer/counter that tells you how many hours you've played
- Have a virtual "library" of your games in one place

The cons of using Steam are:
- Bundles only apply to one store or the other, so if you split DLC purchases between Steam and the FG Store you will not get bundle discounts
- Having to sync your Steam purchases to FG
- The Steam overlay (wrapper) is known to sometimes cause problems
- 30% revenue loss to the FG developers

Lordark
February 18th, 2023, 22:13
It appears you've made an incorrect assumption, and if there's wording somewhere that had led you to that assumption then it will need to be addressed.

I just never imagined it could take MONTHS to be live on Steam. MONTHS? :( Why would anyone think that? The problem with some FAQs is they're only sought after the FAQ. Besides, the FAQ answer of 4 to 6 weeks is incorrect.

FTR, I don't want to purchase FG products on Steam. I will only purchase on FG.com. Despite indications, I'm quite happy with FG.

Yes, because Steam is only a store front for FG.
Based on something I read in another thread, the only way to run two instances of FG at the same time (one DM one PC) is to run the DM instance on Steam and the PC instance on FG.com. Is that true or false? Is there a thread that answers how to do what I want without using Steam?

Trenloe
February 18th, 2023, 22:39
I just never imagined it could take MONTHS to be live on Steam. MONTHS? :( Why would anyone think that? The problem with some FAQs is they're only sought after the FAQ. Besides, the FAQ answer of 4 to 6 weeks is incorrect.
As highlighted by Lord Entrails - there are few reasons to use/buy on Steam, the main one being regional pricing which probably would have meant that the original license purchase was already on Steam to start with.

As explained already - the process to add FG license keys to Steam is laborious. As few people actually *need* this to be done regularly (I count 16 posts requesting this in the Steam thread which covers over 2 years) it's not prioritized - so if the person who has to spend hours putting the codes together has something they deem more important, then it's only natural for them to let the license key update slip.

Based on something I read in another thread, the only way to run two instances of FG at the same time (one DM one PC) is to run the DM instance on Steam and the PC instance on FG.com. Is that true or false? Is there a thread that answers how to do what I want without using Steam?
That's false. What operating system are you using?

In future, I'd recommend that you lead with what you're trying to do - it would be a lot quicker and efficient for all involved, and you would have had an answer 10 hours ago.

Lordark
February 18th, 2023, 22:47
In future, I'd recommend that you lead with what you're trying to do

Yeah, I shouldn't have beaten around the bush.

What operating system are you using?

Windows 10 Home

Trenloe
February 18th, 2023, 22:51
Windows 10 Home
Great, it's easy then.

Just start another instance of your normal FG installation - either just double-click on the shortcut again, or start one instance and then right-click on the tab in the Windows taskbar and select FantasyGrounds to start another instance.

Start up your GM instance and Join Campaign from the other instance - use the GM name if you're running as a Cloud game, or use localhost to connect if you're running a LAN game.

Also detailed in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2072641544/How+to+Open+Multiple+Instances+of+Fantasy+Grounds+ Unity

damned
February 19th, 2023, 03:33
The main reason for the periodic sync is not so much FG side - its that it is also a manual process on the Steam side and FG doesnt want to overly impose on the Steam people to do it more often. Now if it hasnt been done for 10 weeks thats probably on FG! :bandit:

Lordark
February 19th, 2023, 13:19
Great, it's easy then.

Just start another instance of your normal FG installation - either just double-click on the shortcut again, or start one instance and then right-click on the tab in the Windows taskbar and select FantasyGrounds to start another instance.

Start up your GM instance and Join Campaign from the other instance - use the GM name if you're running as a Cloud game, or use localhost to connect if you're running a LAN game.

That worked. My whole issue was I'd read a thread elsewheres in FG that said Steam was required, and there was no correction in said thread, so I figured that's how it's done. Anyways, thanks.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2023, 14:38
No worries. I seem to remember there was something like that a few years ago for FG Classic on Linux, but I may be misremembering.