PDA

View Full Version : How to display two-byte characters?

thiha
May 15th, 2007, 14:41
Hi.

I'm an FG user living in Japan.

I've been using FG for online D&D sessions with people from Europe and US since I started to use it last year, and I think FG is pretty helpful to share the vivid tabletop feeling.

But it seems that FG (both FG1.05 and FGII) can display only the roman letters (I mean "English" alphabets), and all the letters in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai etc I try to type in the chat window become garbled.

I'm DMing an D&D3.5 campaign online for my Japanese and Korean friends, not using my favorite FG, but the ScreenMonkey and IRC, as they are the only way to use our two-byte-character languages in an online session.

But actually I prefer the funcions of FG much more than ScreenMokey, and If I can display Japanese letters on the FG's chatting window, my group will definitely shift the interface from ScreemMonkey & IRC to FGII.

Does anyone know any way to display two-byte characters (for me, it's Japanese) on FGII? Or, is it impossible?

Goblin-King
May 16th, 2007, 07:01
This is not supported at the moment. This is something that might make it in at some point, but is not in the works in the short run.

thiha
August 31st, 2007, 16:51
Is there any way to create ".fgf" files of multi-byte fonts?

It seems that "FGFontGenerator.exe" can only generate ".fgf" files of 1 byte fonts and that, I guess, possilby makes it unavailable to use multi-byte languages on FG2.

thiha
September 3rd, 2007, 19:10
Or, is there any way to use true type fonts directly for FGII?

Thanks.

thiha
June 14th, 2009, 04:52
This is not supported at the moment. This is something that might make it in at some point, but is not in the works in the short run.

Are there any update or schedule in this matter?

None of us from the East uses FGII as its chat window cannot show two-byte fonts of Eastern languages, while nowadays VTT gamers from Japan, Korea and China use MapTool instead, as its chat window doesn't garble Eastern language (i.e. 2-bytes) fonts.

I guess you've lost not a few potential customers from the East to the MapTool to date l:(

Is it that difficult to make the chat window 2-byte friendly?

(BTW, the chat logs saved as HTML files while using FGII are fine and totally readable even in 2-byte languages, though the original chat window in the FGII screen never shows 2-byte fonts corretly. )

thiha
October 22nd, 2010, 07:28
Hi, it's been a while since I last posted here.
It seems the VTT tools have been constantly evolving since then, and there are already some awesome tools like MapTool, Dodontof (the most popular VTT tool here in Japan), d20Pro etc.

But still, I've never met any one that excels at "real tabltop feel" like FG.

If there's only one reason that hinders Japanese tabletop RPG gamers from purchasing/using FGII is that it doesn't cover 2-byte fonts at all. (In this respect, MapTool is more friendly, since, at least, it allows 2-byte fonts to be displayed correctly in the chat window.)

I'd really like to utilize FGII for online sessions in my language, if there's any chance to do so. But I don't know if there's any such chance, nor, from where I should start. The only thing I know at the moment is that if I type with any 2-byte fonts on FG, they all become garbled and won't be displayed correctly. Only the chat logs saved in .html format remain quite legible even with 2-byte fonts.

Any tips?

Leonal
October 22nd, 2010, 08:30
I definitely support this. Although I don't play in Korean or Japanese at the moment, it'd be great if 2-byte characters could be supported. :-)

Moon Wizard
October 22nd, 2010, 18:38
The original developers built FG around single-byte strings in the program, so double-byte strings require a significant re-design. It's on our wish list, but we do not have a time frame.

Regards,
JPG

darkfantasy
October 31st, 2015, 14:21
Hi, I have same issues here, since its on steam now, it still cant display 2 byte characters seems a little bit strange, hope there's any solution for this problem.

damned
October 31st, 2015, 15:17
Not likely to happen before the Unity build is released (no ETA at this time).