PDA

View Full Version : Rolling crit damage always uses "x2", even if "x4" is present

swest
November 4th, 2020, 21:39
(Surely I'm doing something wrong, because this would have been mentioned before, and no search that I performed found anything on the subject.)

Here is an NPC's Attack line:

Attack Melee rapier +5 (1d6/18-20); Ranged +1 dragoon musket +10 (1d12+1/×4)

I double-clicked the highlighted part until it rolled a natural 20. I assume that it uses the target AC of '0', since it didn't have an actual target, because the next roll declared: [CONFIRM].

I then double-clicked the damage, and it rolled 2 dice (one black and one green) only.

Is this a consequence of the way I am testing it? Would it behave differently if there was an actual target? It should roll 4 dice, right?

Thanks,

- s.west

Trenloe
November 4th, 2020, 22:05
The ×4 is not actually using an "x". This different character can happen with copying direct from a PDF. Replace it with the letter "x" and rolling a critical damage will work fine.

For testing you can roll critical damage by holding down the SHIFT key when rolling, or click the "Critical" damage button in the modifier window before rolling.

swest
November 4th, 2020, 23:01
The ×4 is not actually using an "x". This different character can happen with copying direct from a PDF. Replace it with the letter "x" and rolling a critical damage will work fine.

Yessir, that were it.

I didn't want to complicate the question (with even more background than I normally do), but that example was pulled from an existing module. So, now I'm wondering how many modules have this kind of error... Gonna have to check through them.

For testing you can roll critical damage by holding down the SHIFT key when rolling,

When I hold down the SHIFT key, it adds [OPPORTUNITY] to the chat window output, but otherwise doesn't behave any differently.

or click the "Critical" damage button in the modifier window before rolling.

You'll have to clarify that a little for me. I don't see a "Critical" damage button in the Modifier window.

Thanks for the help!

- s.west

Kelrugem
November 4th, 2020, 23:05
Yessir, that were it.

I didn't want to complicate the question (with even more background than I normally do), but that example was pulled from an existing module. So, now I'm wondering how many modules have this kind of error... Gonna have to check through them.

When I hold down the SHIFT key, it adds [OPPORTUNITY] to the chat window output, but otherwise doesn't behave any differently.

You'll have to clarify that a little for me. I don't see a "Critical" damage button in the Modifier window.

Thanks for the help!

- s.west

Shift+Attack: AoO
Shift+Damage: Crit :)

Click the modifier window, upper right corner of the FG screen (not at the mod box below the chat). There should be a crit button for making a crit with the next damage roll :) (also here: Test with damage roll, not attack :) )

swest
November 4th, 2020, 23:22
Shift+Attack: AoO
Shift+Damage: Crit :)

D'Oh! I thought I had to start from the attack... Yeah, that works like it should.

Click the modifier window, upper right corner of the FG screen (not at the mod box below the chat). There should be a crit button for making a crit with the next damage roll :) (also here: Test with damage roll, not attack :) )

Double D'Oh! It's the "Modifiers" window...

Roger that. That one I should've known. That's embarrassing.

Thanks, guys!

- s.west