PDA

View Full Version : Why does a table re-rolling cause multiple rolls?

Karidain
November 1st, 2020, 09:16
I'm experimenting with complex tables to formulate a sandbox environment/campaign. I'm trying to minimize the number of tables while maximizing the variety by adding "templates" and reusing tables. Cascading tables are dead easy as long as the progression is purely a linear tree style logic. As soon as I try to add a re-roll on a table it creates multiple rolls on that table, i.e. minimum of two apparently.

Trying to illustrate the problem I'll expand hoping not to bore or confuse everyone:

INITIATION
Roll on TABLE 1 for a given terrain type for the chance of encountering a population center and what type it is. If it's a standard population center there are no problems, the cascade starts and the center is fleshed out. Easy Peasy.

If the result is a variant/template it poops the course.

Problem!
The population center "Type" result from TABLE 1 shows a population center "Ruined."
Progression should be: TABLE 1 calls a "Ruined" table which only has two columns: one a label indicating a "Ruin Type" (e.g. Razed, Sacked, Besieged, etc.); and the second to re-roll on TABLE 1 (GMs can just ignore if "Razed" comes up again, eventually it will give a standard type of population center).

My hope was to re-roll on the same table and it should generate a standard population center with the added label indicating it's a variable or templated version of the standard.

What appears to happens when you try to re-use a table it is called a minimum of twice and I can't stop it from happening.
My theory initially, was the variable for the table is not cleared and sent straight back for another go but the resultant two rolls are not the same as the first roll nor are they the same as a new roll. The table is called twice with a random variable no matter what I do.

I'm stumped. Any ideas folks?

Karidain
November 1st, 2020, 09:36
After many experiments and hours of attempts. I made this post in a last ditch effort for assistance only to stumble across the solution within a minute of re-examining it on my return.

The table was sending two calls to TABLE 1 because I'd imbedded a link next to the text call (for document recall later) DOHHH

Link removed problem solved. Thanks for the sounding board forum dudes and dudettes :D

damned
November 1st, 2020, 11:19
https://www.buypromotional.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/117757-0.jpg

Kelrugem
November 1st, 2020, 15:13
https://www.buypromotional.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/117757-0.jpg

EDIT: Lol, now the image embedding worked on my side; ah, well, more ducks = better ducks :D

Your image embedding didn't work, so, I add the image for you (but I changed it for Halloween :D) (I checked the source code of your post, hence, why I know what you wanted to do :D)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40664&stc=1&d=1604243569

damned
November 1st, 2020, 21:42
Your duck looks like it would say mean things to me... like "you have no clue what you are doing mwahahahahaha"

Kelrugem
November 1st, 2020, 22:04
Your duck looks like it would say mean things to me... like "you have no clue what you are doing mwahahahahaha"

hehe, maybe that is indeed what my duck says :P

Karidain
November 2nd, 2020, 11:53
I took the duck as a gentle jibe from a friendly community member ... now I'm starting to think maybe not so friendly.

Nylanfs
November 2nd, 2020, 12:37
Rubber Duck Debugging (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging)

damned
November 2nd, 2020, 13:21
Yes friendly.
No jibe.
Rubber Duck Debugging is what you called sound boarding.

Kelrugem
November 2nd, 2020, 15:14
I took the duck as a gentle jibe from a friendly community member ... now I'm starting to think maybe not so friendly.

Ah, no worries :) Damned and I are just joking :D That my duck maybe says "you have no clue what you are doing mwahahahahaha" is directed to Damned :p :D

Nylanfs
November 2nd, 2020, 17:11
I know that's generally what my ducks say, about anything I do. :)

damned
November 2nd, 2020, 21:58
Ah, no worries :) Damned and I are just joking :D That my duck maybe says "you have no clue what you are doing mwahahahahaha" is directed to Damned :p :D

My ducks are too polite to say that to me - but I know they are thinking it - you can see them rolling their eyes.
Kel's duck doesnt look like it would show such restraint.

99.97% of interactions here are friendly and in good faith.