PDA

View Full Version : Generic Ruleset

mossfoot
May 12th, 2007, 22:19
Hello! Some time back I came here looking for help on creating a "generic ruleset" for FG. Something truly basic that could be applied to any RPG if you take the time to basically building your own character sheet. One kind soul helped me out, but I forget his name. Here's a sample of the sheet he made (in this case being used for Star Wars d6)

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/mossfoot/ScreenHunter_01May.gif

As you can see, it's got lots of room to put whatever you need into it. Time intensive to set up, perhaps, but no problems once it's done and it works for me.

Anyway, I was wondering if whoever helped me with that might be able to help me get it working for FGII now that I have that. (getting an odd error: could not load included file data/bmpfonts.xml). I also had some ideas of how to improve it :) I wouldn't mind adding an second number box to each line, however, and reducing the size of the font, if possible...

Also, I was wondering if anyone else has taken the effort to create a "generic" ruleset as well. Surely there must be demand for something that is flexible and can be applied to obscure games (heck, even homebrew games) and just need something basic.

SirJoe
June 23rd, 2007, 15:34
I've not yet purchased FGII but am looking into it closely. This sort of generic ruleset is exactly what I'd want. Did you get an answer to your question about this? If it is available, then I'd almost certainly purchase a set of licenses.

Regards,
SirJoe

Toadwart
June 23rd, 2007, 20:12
Here are the files for the FG2 version(the ReadMe.txt inside the zip has install instructions)

I was hoping to find some time to improve on this basic version but am busy with other projects.
If someone has the time to improve on this then please feel free to do so.
I was thinking:

Rather than having a fixed number of entries change them into scrollable lists so any number of entries can be added.
Use stringfields for all label text so they can be changed to suit the game.

mossfoot
June 23rd, 2007, 23:33
Thanks for posting this again! I know a lot of people would be interested in this.

Toadwart
June 24th, 2007, 03:46
No problem Mossy.

It's slightly different to the one I sent you. Smaller and easier to install and upgrade when FG upgrades happen.

Haven't changed any of the fields at all, just rearranged the file locations.
If you already have campaigns using that ruleset you can delete the current ruleset folder (after backing it up first of course ;)) then build a new one using the directions in the ReadMe.txt.

Cheers
Toadwart

Oberoten
June 24th, 2007, 07:49
All hail Toadwart! All hail Toadwart, we are not worthy we are not worthy.

... finally I have something to begin my work on a Arm Charsheet for FG II out from.

Thank you so VERY much.

- Obe

mossfoot
June 24th, 2007, 11:44
No problem Mossy.

It's slightly different to the one I sent you. Smaller and easier to install and upgrade when FG upgrades happen.

Haven't changed any of the fields at all, just rearranged the file locations.
If you already have campaigns using that ruleset you can delete the current ruleset folder (after backing it up first of course ;)) then build a new one using the directions in the ReadMe.txt.

Cheers
Toadwart

I actually figured out the instructions this time ;) (no offense, I just have a lot of trouble with techie stuff, this time it was easier).

I'm going to mess around with this and see if I can merge this with some Star Wars ruleset stuff I got a hold of recently. So if you see a big mushroom cloud over England that probably means I screwed up.

Noah

Valarian
June 24th, 2007, 14:23
I will be converting the Star Wars d6 ruleset to a FG2 character sheet at some point. At the moment, I'm trying to do work on a Traveller T20 character sheet and rules modules for my group's next game. After this maybe, it seems to be a popular set of rules.

Others on the to do list ...
Vampire - The Masquerade
Cyberpunk 2020
Star Wars d20

revtobiaz
June 27th, 2007, 00:03
Anyone have something like this Generic sheet, but for FG1.05f?

Toadwart
June 27th, 2007, 01:51
Anyone have something like this Generic sheet, but for FG1.05f?

Yep. The FG1 version of it can be downloaded from the Four Ugly Monsters site:
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/showthread.php?t=329

joshuha
June 27th, 2007, 05:00
If someone has the time to improve on this then please feel free to do so.
I was thinking:

Rather than having a fixed number of entries change them into scrollable lists so any number of entries can be added.
Use stringfields for all label text so they can be changed too suit the game.

These two should be pretty easy. Is the labeltext built into the image? If so, do you have a clean background image you would prefer to use?

Toadwart
June 28th, 2007, 02:55
These two should be pretty easy. Is the labeltext built into the image? If so, do you have a clean background image you would prefer to use?

Yeah, it was built for FG1 so the labels and even the number boxes and string field underlines are all part of the frame image.
The fields are all hardcoded in the xml too (all 60 odd of them) so it'd pretty much be a case of throwing it away and re-doing it properly for FG2.
I will get around to doing it eventually, just too busy at present...:(

Master
April 20th, 2008, 17:56
Is there an updated version of this yet?

Toadwart
April 20th, 2008, 21:16
Not from me I'm afraid. Just got too much going on in my life to even think about this but have heard some tantalising snippits of info from josh that suggest SW might be working on a 'generic' ruleset of some sort . . .