PDA

View Full Version : Official ALIEN RPG enhancement suggestions

Valyar
October 28th, 2020, 11:17
Hello all! Now that we are officially launched (https://mailchi.mp/d8d1a3335629/alien-vtt?e=958903e85c) and there are already people playing the game, it is time to have a thread where ruleset and product enhancements can be proposed by all of you! :)

We have board where we keep track of all issues (bugs, enhancement, tasks etc.) so every suggestion here will get to the board and will be reviewed! The more detailed the suggestion is, the better for us to come up with proper implementation. Can't promise that everything will be adopted, but we will do our best considering the available time and adhering to the original rules as mandated by the publisher. Also features that will benefit other YZE-based games will have precedence.

So, having said that, my preferred format:

Feature Name: One sentence that gives the highlight of the feature. This is what will be put as story heading in our board.
Description: Detailed (as long as you want) description of the feature you would like to have. You can explain the mechanic or what you ask for and how you imagine it implemented, even refer me to some implementation where this exists so I can get some visual. Whatever you think is good to explain the suggestion.

Valyar
October 28th, 2020, 11:18
Reserved

Valyar
October 28th, 2020, 11:20
So, I will open with example from my list:

Actor Groups in Combat Tracker
This feature will allow combatants of NPC type to be grouped visually if they are running on same initiative. Savage Worlds have such implementation.

Gear Library lists
Expose lists for items, weapons and armor in Gear library to allow more sorting options during play. Like in the List in Vehicles library.

Novgorod story entries
Bring Novgorod content to Story library, not just reference manual.

I know few people asked for enhancement to other libraryes such as Systems/Planets, I am all eyes now. :)

4wire
November 2nd, 2020, 13:43
Higher resolution maps and/or portions of tactical maps!

4wire
November 2nd, 2020, 14:38
LOS of tactical maps!

vegaserik
November 2nd, 2020, 23:57
LOS of tactical maps!

There really isn't any tactical maps in the game books. There also isn't a ton of good sci fi ones out there yet. There are a couple of Starfinder tile sets for Starship Chambers and Starship Corridors the the FG Store that look promising.

dragonheels
November 7th, 2020, 11:49
Just asking so... but Is it possible to play 'Tales from the Loop' with this ruleset ? As the rules have the same 'core' ?

Valyar
November 8th, 2020, 09:46
Just asking so... but Is it possible to play 'Tales from the Loop' with this ruleset ? As the rules have the same 'core' ?

Hi dragonheels! The ruleset is tailed according to Alien RPG. The 'core' indeed supports Tales form the Loop but there is no way to strip the alien-specific mechanics and ruleset theme to facilitate this.

NotRussellCrowe
November 8th, 2020, 15:45
Ran my first session with this rule set last night and had a blast. A few things I think may be nice to-have--but not necessary for a great session because I had a great session last night without them--are:

1) A visual indicator that a character is suffering from a panic effect. Maybe even a text field that gets auto populated with that panic effect from the panic table.

2) When you roll panic and you are already suffering from a panic effect and you roll low, below your current panic effect, it would be great if the system would put the character at the next panic effect after their existing one (they can't roll and get a lower effect, they always have to increase by at least one).

3) This one I don't think is necessary but would be helpful for sure. When a player rolls a crit injury that it gets automatically added to the character sheet with all information from the table so the player (and GM) don't have to look up more details in the table.

I would say that none of the above are critically important as we all had a great time last night, mostly just nice to have features, at least from my point of view.

Anyways, great rule set and having an amazing time and definitely looking forward to running more!

Valyar
November 8th, 2020, 16:41
Glad to hear you had good time with the ruleset! :) Let me think on those suggestions and be back to you.

i3ullseye
November 10th, 2020, 23:08
This ruleset looks really good. It is a pretty simple system, and things seem to run pretty smoothly. But suggestion...

Feature Name: Draggable Career Data
Description: Like dragging a class in 5E, or Clan for VtM, and various other rule sets. It would be nice if you could drag your career name on the main tab, and it would populate and put a link there. Also, if some kind of indicator (Bolding, and asterix, etc) could be put on which attribute is your careers focus, that would be handy during character creation. The same indicator should exist for your skills. And maybe a note entry with a quick career description.

gbhenderson
November 11th, 2020, 19:21
Make NPC windows expandable horizontally as well as vertically. As it is right now, there's quite a lot of mice wheel scrolling on the monsters with the 6 special attacks.

Valyar
November 12th, 2020, 07:08
Make NPC windows expandable horizontally as well as vertically. As it is right now, there's quite a lot of mice wheel scrolling on the monsters with the 6 special attacks.
The fixed width is due to the two columns for speed, range and etc, the layout looks weird if resized too much. I will look into allowing some horizontal stretch for those Monster cases.

i3ullseye
November 12th, 2020, 07:15
Another one......

Feature Name: Ship Positions on the Party Sheet
Description: The marching order page is fine, and useful. But another tab for 'Ship Assignments" would be great. It could mimic the sheet seen online that has a 'spot' for each role... Pilot, Captain, gunners, Etc.... This one looks like a top down of a ship with labelled spaces for each role to put someone's icon/token there. Even if it were just a list of the roles, with the ability to drag each character to a spot it would be great. Maybe it can be a list of the roles, in the order they act, with quick reminders of what actions they can take on their row.

Which leads to.....

Feature Name: Blind Selection for Ship Combat
Description: There are some features/mods out there that use pop up windows with buttons. If a screen could be popped up for the players, and the GM, with the ability to select which action you would take and not show it to anyone else, that would be great. Maybe the GM has a 'reveal' button that is greyed out or red until the player(s) have entered their selection. Then the GM can click the button and reveal everything to everyone at once.

Valyar
November 12th, 2020, 12:46
Another one......

Feature Name: Ship Positions on the Party Sheet
Description: The marching order page is fine, and useful. But another tab for 'Ship Assignments" would be great. It could mimic the sheet seen online that has a 'spot' for each role... Pilot, Captain, gunners, Etc.... This one looks like a top down of a ship with labelled spaces for each role to put someone's icon/token there. Even if it were just a list of the roles, with the ability to drag each character to a spot it would be great. Maybe it can be a list of the roles, in the order they act, with quick reminders of what actions they can take on their row.

Which leads to.....

Feature Name: Blind Selection for Ship Combat
Description: There are some features/mods out there that use pop up windows with buttons. If a screen could be popped up for the players, and the GM, with the ability to select which action you would take and not show it to anyone else, that would be great. Maybe the GM has a 'reveal' button that is greyed out or red until the player(s) have entered their selection. Then the GM can click the button and reveal everything to everyone at once.

The ship-related content is on the to-do list and in design phase. At the moment I think the PS is not the best place for that and probably will put Ship tab on the PC sheet that will allow them to pick a position (that will be reflected in the PS for GM to observer) and depending on the position will list the appropriate actions and skill rolls. And since PC is owner of the sheet it is easy to manage.

I am not sure I get the Blind selection, is this for the commander's phase?

i3ullseye
November 13th, 2020, 02:04
I am not sure I get the Blind selection, is this for the commander's phase?

During ship combat, the Captain/Commander tells each station what he would like them to do. This is done in secret however, and both the GM and players each select their action, and then reveal them at the same time to see if they can out guess each other. Sticky notes can be used face to face, and if you buy the maps and tokens pack it comes with tokens for each action that you can hide in your fist and reveal at the same time.

flobz
November 14th, 2020, 18:15
Not sure if been asked for before but can we get actual images for the aliens and that for the tokens or have the char sheets for them unlock-able so we can upload our own as just a simple "D" "F" is not as easy to recognize what are as a picture

Valyar
November 14th, 2020, 18:34
Not sure if been asked for before but can we get actual images for the aliens and that for the tokens or have the char sheets for them unlock-able so we can upload our own as just a simple "D" "F" is not as easy to recognize what are as a picture

There are not enough unique images to create tokens for every NPC, therefore we are rolling with Letter tokens for now. When Colonial Marine is converted I might work on tokens.

If you want to update the token, clone the NPC and it will be unlocked. The Core modules are read-only, adventures and their content are read-write for GM.

vegaserik
November 14th, 2020, 20:59
I just Googled Aliens, saved some pictures and made my own.

flobz
November 14th, 2020, 22:00
There are not enough unique images to create tokens for every NPC, therefore we are rolling with Letter tokens for now. When Colonial Marine is converted I might work on tokens.

If you want to update the token, clone the NPC and it will be unlocked. The Core modules are read-only, adventures and their content are read-write for GM.

Yeah That's what i done was just wondering about it coming in module and yeah i have only done a couple of the more known aliens and for rest improvised a little lol.

damned
November 14th, 2020, 23:50
Official products are generally limited to the artwork within the paper/pdf product and they usually do not contain unique/enough images for every NPC/monster entry unfortunately - this is common across most games out there.

i3ullseye
November 15th, 2020, 04:25
I have made a bunch of tokens. All of the PCs, and many of the NPCs in the released scenarios have art. And I took any and every face I could find that was token worthy in all the other pics and made tokens of them hehe. Anyone breaking these huge maps into smaller (see manageable...) chunks and maybe adding LOS?

CaptGetSome
November 15th, 2020, 07:04
Hey there, great system and setup.

We just ran our first game and we were all shocked at how few 6's were rolled. it didn't seem to matter how many dice anyone rolled.

Did you guys write your own roller? If so, can you maybe put in a slider or setting for brutality?

It's pretty hard for players to enjoy themselves when they fail at everything all the time.

Thanks.

Valyar
November 15th, 2020, 08:11

We just ran our first game and we were all shocked at how few 6's were rolled. it didn't seem to matter how many dice anyone rolled.

Did you guys write your own roller? If so, can you maybe put in a slider or setting for brutality?

It's pretty hard for players to enjoy themselves when they fail at everything all the time.

Thanks.

I agree that YZE sometimes can be harsh, especially when the pool of D6s is small. We have same frustration in Coriolis and this is where the push mechanics come into play. And increasing the relevant skills. :)

Alien is using FG to roll all the dice as every other ruleset.

damned
November 15th, 2020, 12:27

Thanks.

I had FG roll 1million d6s consecutively with the following results:

#1 Rolled: 165801 Occurrence: 16%
#2 Rolled: 177194 Occurrence: 17%
#3 Rolled: 164340 Occurrence: 16%
#4 Rolled: 173570 Occurrence: 17%
#5 Rolled: 155657 Occurrence: 15%
#6 Rolled: 163438 Occurrence: 16%
Total Number of Rolls: 1000000
Sum of all Rolls: 3466402
Average of all Rolls: 3.466402

CaptGetSome
November 15th, 2020, 17:24
Thanks for that testing, 'damned'.

I have no doubt that the true averages of dice are real, and reflects the reality of a random effect. And I fully agree that the stress system and Push roll is a great mechanic and fits perfectly into the setting.

I guess what I am saying is that the increased attribute or skill level doesn't have a direct effect on the average roll outcome. Meaning a character with a 5 STR and a 3 Heavy Machinery will roll 8 d6 and get no 6's. Okay, that can happen, no problem. Now that character spends xp to increase either his STR or HM skill by one which reflects time and effort into the character and now he rolls 9 d6 and still gets no 6's. That feels bad.

We all know adding an extra d6 does in fact increase the potential to roll a 6 but it doesn't exactly come across as if the character is heading towards mastering a skill/stat.

If there was perhaps a way to increase the odds by even an extra 1% with a skill/stat bump it would give the impression of building on competence. Or if rolling three or more 5's became a partial success? I don't know.

We really like the system and it clearly shows that a ton of work went into it. It's fluid, very easy to understand and we will definitely continue playing.

Thanks for listening.

gbhenderson
June 13th, 2021, 20:12
Would it be possible to actually enable the "Chat: Show GM rolls" from the options menu? A string of unlucky rolls (or lucky depending on your POV) and my players have started questioning the actual results.

Valyar
June 14th, 2021, 06:13
Hi, gbhenderson, can you clarify under what conditions the GM rolls are not displayed? Attached is screenshot that shows hidden and visible GM rolls and this is controlled by the swtich in Options.

gbhenderson
June 14th, 2021, 12:45
Hey Valyar, regarding the image you posted, the screen on the left is all our group can get.

One of my players logged in on his ruleset yesterday, and he had the same issue.

We've gotta just be missing a setting somewhere if it's working for you. I'll keep dinking around with it and see if I can get it to work.

For the record, it did work when we originally started playing.

Valyar
June 14th, 2021, 14:00
I did another test on a reference virtual machine where I have the LIVE version of the ruleset (1.5.1) and the outcome is the same - "Chat: Show GM rolls" work as expected when I npc/pc rolls.
Have you updated FGC/U to receive latest CoreRPG and Alien rulest?
Have you disabled all extensions?

damned
June 14th, 2021, 14:06
Valyar you might test using the updater delivered version in case it is somehow not running the version you think it is?

Valyar
June 14th, 2021, 14:56
Valyar you might test using the updater delivered version in case it is somehow not running the version you think it is?
This is the reference computer - clean FGU installation with LIVE channel.

gbhenderson
June 14th, 2021, 21:50
Hey Valyar, truly sorry for the headache and late reply. I got it working. After doublechecking the option settings against my other games, it was the "Show results to client" that was messing things up.

I honestly don't remember having ever changed that setting, and like I mentioned one of my players was having the exact same issue with his copy of the ruleset. One session, we're seeing the rolls, next session they were gone. We just figured that something had changed with the ruleset and thought to ask if you could give us back our dice rolls.

Valyar
June 15th, 2021, 06:31
No worries, I am glad things sorted out :)

icecrmman
June 16th, 2021, 18:08

Damned created a Tales From the Loop character sheet using Ruleset Wizard, great product by the way.
You might send him a message and see if you can download it.

icecrmman
June 16th, 2021, 21:16
Is there a way to automate a talent?
example: If I take 'Take Control' as a Company Agent and roll my Manipulation I want to use my Wits stat in place of Empathy.

Also what is the format to increase an attribute or can it not be done.

Skill increase [Stamina +1] increases Stamina by 1 die,
when I try to increase an attribute [Strength +1] it returns this error:"s'Failed to format error:' | s'No such attribute for rollType: %s' | nil"

Valyar
June 17th, 2021, 06:27
This is the next thing we will be working on! I will check for the attributes, I am not sure if it is enabled in the codebase.