PDA

View Full Version : I broke it...

JimSocks
October 27th, 2020, 23:06
Hi guys!

So, I have been trying to create an extension for WEEKS now, and while doing so I have been altering ONE script within the corerpg.pak ruleset file: the script responsible for story templates. It is the only one I have touched. I saved an original copy of the corerpg.pak file before I began, and as my games have come and gone I have swapped back in the original file with no issues... until today.

Now, no matter what I do, story template reference links (ie: <Tablename> type links referencing the results of previously rolled tables) are not working, even with the original file back in.
Even after deleting corerpg.pak and having an update replace it.
Even after using the FG updater Troubleshoot tab to force an update and redownload EVERYTHING.

I have a HUGE campaign, and I dont want to lose any data from it, but I need to get my story templates working again... what should I do!?

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2020, 23:23
Make sure to remove any subfolders from your FG rulesets or extensions folders; so that the folders are not overriding the built-in files.

Regards,
JPG

JimSocks
October 28th, 2020, 01:11
What are the odds: someone JUST today messaged me saying my content generator was broken. He attached a picture to the forum post (post #59 I think at the link below) and it’s EXACTLY the issue I am having.

I am thinking the latest update broke story templates?

Check out his picture on post 59 here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54306-Content-generator-2020!&p=552187#post552187

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2020, 04:59
How can I recreate this in the default CoreRPG ruleset? Do you have an example story template and table set that isn't working? Maybe a sample module with just those items exported?

Thanks,
JPG

JimSocks
October 28th, 2020, 13:30
I’ve made this a little bit confusing, and for that I apologize. While the file I have been working with for story templates is inside the corerpg.pak, I am running 5e when the issue occurs. So to recreate:

Hop into a 5e campaign. Create a test table. Create a test story template containing a link to that table using the [square brackets], as well as a reference to the table link using the <greater than/less than> brackets. Hit generate.

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2020, 17:09
The 5E ruleset is layered on top of the CoreRPG ruleset; and all the story template generation code is in the CoreRPG ruleset. If you have overriden the version in CoreRPG, then it will apply to 5E as well.

Regards,
JPG

JimSocks
October 28th, 2020, 17:58
Yes, I understand that, which is why I really only mentioned corerpg to begin with.

What made me think this isn’t actually related to me monkeying with the corerpg.pak though, is that even after completely replacing all files back to stock I still have the issue, and now there is a report that someone else is having the exact same issue and they have not monkeyed with theirs at all.

So I was thinking at the beginning “oh no my monkeying has broke something I can’t now repair!” But upon hearing the report from a stranger with the exact same issue, I don’t think my monkeying has anything to do with it.

Especially since I’m back to 100% stock FGU, and it’s still busted.

viviolay
October 28th, 2020, 18:30
How can I recreate this in the default CoreRPG ruleset? Do you have an example story template and table set that isn't working? Maybe a sample module with just those items exported?

Thanks,
JPG

Hey John,
I'm sorry - I don't think the situation is clear.
I'm the person who found the issue and posted in Jimsocks's forum thread recently.

I made sure to test this with none of my extensions loaded when initially encountering this as I first assumed it might be a conflict(since I have a lot of extensions) and so after encountering this in one campaign, opened just Jimsocks's module in a different campaign and encountered the issue still - so no extension changing any code was present.

When I used Jimsocks' story template the <> tags did not appear to work anymore in that the names that were pulled for the story within the [ ] bracket'd categories were not being pulled into the < > tagged categories. The picture showing this is in the linked thread he provided but I added it here again for ease.

The ruleset being used was 5e.

If you would like I can re-test this with Jimsocks' corerpg version that is not 5e.

Kelrugem
October 28th, 2020, 18:33
Yes, I understand that, which is why I really only mentioned corerpg to begin with.

What made me think this isn’t actually related to me monkeying with the corerpg.pak though, is that even after completely replacing all files back to stock I still have the issue, and now there is a report that someone else is having the exact same issue and they have not monkeyed with theirs at all.

So I was thinking at the beginning “oh no my monkeying has broke something I can’t now repair!” But upon hearing the report from a stranger with the exact same issue, I don’t think my monkeying has anything to do with it.

Especially since I’m back to 100% stock FGU, and it’s still busted.

EDIT: Ah, viviolay now ninja'd me, so, disregard me :D

I think the best would be when you just upload a test module where one can simply generate this problem with some template :) Because your thread is a bit confusing to read since you started that thread with some extension :D I am also unsure about where and what bug you are speaking about (Or give precise steps to reproduce it :) When I understand it correctly the <>-brackets do not work anymore?)

Kelrugem
October 28th, 2020, 18:37
Hey John,
I'm sorry - I don't think the situation is clear.
I'm the person who found the issue and posted in Jimsocks's forum thread recently.

I made sure to test this with none of my extensions loaded when initially encountering this as I first assumed it might be a conflict(since I have a lot of extensions) and so after encountering this in one campaign, opened just Jimsocks's module in a different campaign and encountered the issue still - so no extension changing any code was present.

When I used Jimsocks' story template the <> tags did not appear to work anymore in that the names that were pulled for the story within the [ ] bracket'd categories were not being pulled into the < > tagged categories. The picture showing this is in the linked thread he provided but I added it here again for ease.

The ruleset being used was 5e.

If you would like I can re-test this with Jimsocks' corerpg version that is not 5e.

Oki, it is long ago that I did anything with tables, but the <>-brackets actually refer to some result of the corresponding roll on a table, isn't it? In order that this works it is important that there are actually results generated by square brackets ( [] these) . Nowhere in the screenshot I can see that these were used :) (or I confuse both type of brackets, or I do not see their call in the screenshot)

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2020, 19:02
Thanks for sticking with this. I was finally able to recreate the issue, once I knew what to look at specifically. I'll push the fix with the next build.

In the future, if you can provide exact steps to recreate in a new campaign with a short example, that will be the quickest way to get things fixed up.

Regards,
JPG

JimSocks
October 28th, 2020, 19:23
We are all speaking the same language here, and yes you guys are describing the problem correctly.

Apologies for confusion with the “extension” terminology- I originally thought it was my fiddling around that was to blame.

So, as explained above, it’s SUPPOSED to work that the result of a call like [Table A] will also be called to replace a reference of <Table A>. Now, the <Table A> reference is not working at all, it doesn’t get replaced with the original call’s results.

Example:
Should work as:
In template:
[Dog Type Table], <Dog Type Table>.
In generated result:
Husky, Husky.

How it currently functions:
In template:
[Dog Type Table], <Dog Type Table>.
In generated result:
Husky, <Dog Type Table>.

This happens while I am in a 5e campaign with zero extensions or modules loaded. Stock.

JimSocks
October 28th, 2020, 19:29
once I knew what to look at specifically. I'll push the fix with the next build.

Again sorry for the confusion. You posted as I was writing the post above, though it does contain an example if that helps.

But... while you are in there... if you wanted to add a little functionality by allowing us to <reference|2> specific columns of a previously rolled table, that’d be crazy cool lol.

Here’s my post chronicle-ing my attempt to do so with layperson skills and zero success:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62665-Trying-to-beef-up-Story-Templates-Help-needed

viviolay
October 28th, 2020, 20:11
Oki, it is long ago that I did anything with tables, but the <>-brackets actually refer to some result of the corresponding roll on a table, isn't it? In order that this works it is important that there are actually results generated by square brackets ( [] these) . Nowhere in the screenshot I can see that these were used :) (or I confuse both type of brackets, or I do not see their call in the screenshot)

The name in the title of the story templates were originally the [] bracketed results. those are the results that should've been pulled into the < > tagged areas. Some of the other portions that have flavor text are also some of the [] bracketed results.

I just showed the end result after I hit "generate" on the story template in the screenshot to illustrate the <> are not also being populated like the [] bracketed info was.

Kelrugem
October 28th, 2020, 20:12
The name in the title of the story templates were originally the [] bracketed results. those are the results that should've been pulled into the < > tagged areas. Some of the other portions that have flavor text are also some of the [] bracketed results.

I just showed the end result after I hit "generate" on the story template in the screenshot to illustrate the <> are not also being populated like the [] bracketed info was.

ah, now I understand :)

JimSocks
October 29th, 2020, 01:42
Just got home, opened a brand new 5e campaign with no extensions or modules loaded. Created a test table and a test story template. Broken. I'll attach a picture for reference.

(Note: the vertical line inside the text of the <reference> of the story template is just my cursor)

JimSocks
October 29th, 2020, 01:43
ugh.. dual posted... how to delete... hmm

at any rate... see the post just above this one.

JimSocks
October 29th, 2020, 19:28
This just in:

It appears story templates are broken on every system using CoreRPG as an underlying ruleset! Here is a screenshot of an AlienRPG campaign I made just to check this: (note: no extensions or mods. It's a blank campaign I made just to test this)

Moon Wizard
October 30th, 2020, 17:24
As I mentioned in post #11, I found the issue, and scheduled for the next release. (which just happened)

Regards,
JPG

JimSocks
October 31st, 2020, 01:42
I saw that today! Looks like it was the changing of how unity reads Unicode, and it didn’t recognize the reference characters < and > as &Lt and &gt?

I see now there is a check to see if it is unity, and if so use a different reference to those characters.

As a bonus, now that the base code works- I’ve been able to test my extension code more and started making some strides!

Thanks Moonwizard