PDA

View Full Version : FGII - Character limit?

Rutherford
May 12th, 2007, 05:32
I noticed while running my first session using Fantasy Grounds II that there is a character limit in the chat buffer...and I have to wonder why? I tend to describe things at great length and have grown attached to my "Wall of Text" spell, as it were.

Anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? Thanks.

Ablefish
May 12th, 2007, 08:08
Heh, do you actually type out THAT much while everyone is waiting? There is the r-click option of Stoping the Chatlog so the players can't enter anything while you compose. That would let you type to your heart's content, perhaps even giving them paragraphs to read as you finish them?

Wait a sec... I just tested to see what the limit was and it's pretty damn short, less than 5 lines. That does seem pretty damn small.

Griogre
May 12th, 2007, 08:50
Hmm I just cut and pasted about 20 lines of text and had no problems. It only appears to be a limit for typing only. This may be by design, but you should probably report it. As a work around just open your storybook and type whatever you want in a chat frame to allow drag and drop in bold text or in normal paragraphs so you can cut and paste as an id.

AndyPan
May 12th, 2007, 13:18
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Kind of annoying. Typing outa huge chunk of text on the fly is not really a huge deal, and not usually something you can plan for with an open storybook page. If someone gets a critical, for instance, and you want to add a Quentin Tarantino-esque death scene, it's not hard to get a bit verbose in that description. PLUS, if an NPC has a response to a question that the PC has asked, and it's NOT a question you'd planned for, yes, you're gonna need the space to say what you need to say. It's happened a few times where I'll hit the max length, and it'll go back to the beginning. Only I won't notice, and either overwrite what I just typed, or lose it entirely. Definitely need to fix this. PLEASE! :-)

Rutherford
May 12th, 2007, 23:37
Thanks for the replies folks, glad to see I'm not going crazy. I suppose I can use cutting and pasting as a workaround for now, but I do hope this gets addressed at some point in the near future.

Tokuriku
May 13th, 2007, 01:18
Well, you go back to the beginning but still can type.
I'm up to 30 lines of text and I have no problem, the only thing is the cursor SEEMS to go back to the beginning but continue typing, it will be ok when you press enter.