PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Conversion Tool for D&D Beyond

virtualhuman
October 24th, 2020, 23:51
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first-time poster.

It seems most people were as disappointed with the removal of the very useful conversion tool for D&D Beyond to Fantasy Grounds. I am not privy to the original author's reasoning, and that was his very own decision, but I am grateful that he left the source code up for use (Thanks so much David B.).

https://tenthlevelgames.com/conversiontool/

I know some of us are not as technically savvy, so we have gone ahead and gotten it working again. Please note that my site is very much a side project born of this current pandemic, so please don't mind the dust.

Please note that this is very much WYSIWYG, but I will try my best to fix up any issues that come up. Best of luck and happy adventuring.

Regards,
Meddie (otherwise known as David).

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2020, 02:54
Thanks so much Meddle!
For reference, I copied and locked a thread in the AL sub-forum so folks browsing there find this as well.

virtualhuman
October 25th, 2020, 03:04
Yeah, no problem mate. I hope it continues to be useful for everyone.

Cheers,
Meddie

Ludd_G
October 25th, 2020, 11:35
Great stuff! Thank you!

Cheers,

Simon

Plem45
October 25th, 2020, 16:55
Awesome! thanks for taking this on David.

Philip Carpenter
November 1st, 2020, 00:51
Whew slightly panicked when I went to the normal site, thanks for doing this!

roninkelt
November 2nd, 2020, 20:39
I've also got a mirror of the original site up, and am looking for developers who are willing to help keep it going. I do C++ but javascript is way out of my wheelhouse. I'm learning, but there is a lot to cover. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Right now there is discussion going on at the Fantasy Grounds Pick Up Games discord (thanks to them for letting us have a place to live).

SanctifiedDevil
November 9th, 2020, 05:56
Well I just went through the trouble of putting it up also. I should have looked at the forums first! Just going to toss if out there as I feel this is something that folks should have access to. Maybe between us all we can keep it going! dnd.prophetsofdoom.org (http:/dnd.prophetsofdoom.org). If someone has a public fork of the code base they are keeping updated, I would be happy to keep the site updated as well.

ChumSlinger
November 9th, 2020, 18:12
Thank you !

Blakey
December 15th, 2020, 11:28
This looks great. Is there an opposite process available anywhere? i.e. FG XML file -> D&D Beyond PC?

Cheers
Blakey

roninkelt
December 17th, 2020, 20:45
I don't believe that D&D Beyond allows such functionality. As far as I can find there is no way to import a character into Beyond.

cas206
December 18th, 2020, 16:12
Hi Everyone,

but I am grateful that he left the source code up for use

Source code? Is it on a git* ?

chriscaouette
February 10th, 2021, 15:22
Thanks so much for this and it worked perfectly!

Olmac1
February 10th, 2021, 16:07
Does it work with Unity?

Never mind, I found the answer.

Talen
October 13th, 2021, 03:49
The importer works wonderfully and has been a big time saver -thank you!
I may have found an issue if you are still working on this - I have imported two characters and in both instances, the link to their race does not open. I have the source book for the race open (both the book and the player's version (in this instance, a yuan ti from the volo's book). Nontheless, I get the following error "Unable to open window using wildcard link, because no module containing that link is open. Check your active Library modules." Is this a known issue or perhaps Im missing a step?

Talen
February 25th, 2022, 03:59
Hmmm...has this converter been removed as well? The link does not appear to work for me anymore...

SanctifiedDevil
February 25th, 2022, 05:17
Hmmm...has this converter been removed as well? The link does not appear to work for me anymore...

I flipped https://dnd.prophetsofdoom.org/ back on. I haven't touched it since setting it up so I'm unsure if anything has changed on the D&D beyond side of things.

Talen
February 25th, 2022, 13:59
I appreciate that, its a very useful tool! Having said that, I don't seem to be getting it to work for an export to fantasy grounds unity. Am I the only one experiencing that?

cas206
February 25th, 2022, 18:25
FYSA, here is the script that does the heavy lifting: https://github.com/BoomerET/DandD_Beyond-2-FantasyGrounds if anyone with CSS/Javascript background wants to update. I don't have to connection to the project, I just followed the contact information pulled from the website.

SieferSeesSomething
March 2nd, 2022, 06:01
I appreciate that, its a very useful tool! Having said that, I don't seem to be getting it to work for an export to fantasy grounds unity. Am I the only one experiencing that?
You might be. I just tried it on Fantasy Grounds Unity and it seemed to work fine. What issue did you have?

Talen
April 22nd, 2022, 03:47
You might be. I just tried it on Fantasy Grounds Unity and it seemed to work fine. What issue did you have?

I've circled back to the importer and when I use it now (putting character number in, clicking " Get Character Data" and selecting Unity as the FG Verson) I get nothing. In the past, it would spit out the xml after clicking "get character data". I'm not certain what went wrong for me these last few times. I'm using Beyond to Fantasy Grounds Character Interchange (beyond2fgconvert.com) (https://www.beyond2fgconvert.com/)

LordEntrails
April 22nd, 2022, 04:16
I've circled back to the importer and when I use it now (putting character number in, clicking " Get Character Data" and selecting Unity as the FG Verson) I get nothing. In the past, it would spit out the xml after clicking "get character data". I'm not certain what went wrong for me these last few times. I'm using Beyond to Fantasy Grounds Character Interchange (beyond2fgconvert.com) (https://www.beyond2fgconvert.com/)
I believe with the original tool the character had to be marked public. Is that still a thing with DDB? If so, check your character and see if they are viewable by everyone.

Talen
April 22nd, 2022, 04:40
Thanks for the suggestion LordEntrails. Unfortunately, that's not the issue as the Character Privacy is set as "Public"

deltadave
April 24th, 2022, 00:40
Sorry you are having this trouble. You can use the contact page to send me the character number or post it here. I'll take a look and see what is going on.

Talen
April 25th, 2022, 00:39
Sorry you are having this trouble. You can use the contact page to send me the character number or post it here. I'll take a look and see what is going on.

DeltaDave - I appreciate you reaching out and offering to help! Bit of a good news/bad news situation but positive development. I got the exporter to work - but have no idea why...I was always logged in to my D&D Beyond account and had the characters made public....near as I can tell those are the only potential gotchas as the tool is remarkable easy to use most of the time. Regardless - its all good now and thanks to everyone for the help!

deltadave
April 25th, 2022, 00:54
DeltaDave - I appreciate you reaching out and offering to help! Bit of a good news/bad news situation but positive development. I got the exporter to work - but have no idea why...I was always logged in to my D&D Beyond account and had the characters made public....near as I can tell those are the only potential gotchas as the tool is remarkable easy to use most of the time. Regardless - its all good now and thanks to everyone for the help!

Glad that it's working for you. If you want to send your character ID, I can search through the logs and see if there was a problem with your character or in general. No guarantees that anything would show up, but it would be worth a look.

ColoradoGM
July 4th, 2022, 18:32
The link now goes to "can't reach this page" - is this dead?

SanctifiedDevil
July 4th, 2022, 18:45
The link now goes to "can't reach this page" - is this dead?

https://dnd.prophetsofdoom.org/ is still up if needed.

deltadave
July 5th, 2022, 02:28
Unfortunately that site is dead. The new site is https://beyond2fantasygrounds.com/

zeroking
July 8th, 2022, 13:12
The site is indeed dead. i've been hosting it on my own site as well as when that site might go dark again. https://www.alexanderkorn.nl/dnd2fg/index.html (https://affiliates.fantasygrounds.com/316613/15958/url_23015)

dberkompas
July 19th, 2022, 17:48
The site is indeed dead. i've been hosting it on my own site as well as when that site might go dark again. https://www.alexanderkorn.nl/dnd2fg/index.html (https://affiliates.fantasygrounds.com/316613/15958/url_23015)

Just curious if the code has changed much since I released this freely 2-3yrs ago?

Dave aka BoomerET

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2022, 18:43
Are you talking about the 5E ruleset code? If so, it has been slowly evolving, but is generally the same.

The most recent update did move the class specialization and subrace data around a little.

Regards,
JPG

dberkompas
July 19th, 2022, 18:49
My apologies, I'll provide context.

I'm talking about the code for converting a D&D Beyond Character to the XML for Fantasy Grounds.

I wrote the initial code 3yrs ago, and was wondering how different it looked today.

zeroking
July 19th, 2022, 23:57
My apologies, I'll provide context.

I'm talking about the code for converting a D&D Beyond Character to the XML for Fantasy Grounds.

I wrote the initial code 3yrs ago, and was wondering how different it looked today.

I don't think it has changed much. I found a repo on git that was a year or 2 old. tested it and made some minor changes to it as there were some changes made to the code of D&D Beyond. Right now I'm looking into the new inventory system of them if i can add that in the xml as well. no success yet but i do have to say that I'm not actively trying atm due to holidays. :D

dberkompas
July 20th, 2022, 15:54
That was most likely my repo, and it's now 2+ yrs old, and I just tried it, and it still works, amazing.

What 'new' inventory system are you talking about?

Dave

zeroking
July 20th, 2022, 20:27
That was most likely my repo, and it's now 2+ yrs old, and I just tried it, and it still works, amazing.

What 'new' inventory system are you talking about?

Dave

So in D&D Beyond they added inventories. So as an example. Before: all items in 1 container called backpack or inventory. Now: If you have a bag of holding it creates a new inventory named to that item where you can store things separately.
I'll post an image as example:
This is fixable by using a loop in the inventory read-out.

deltadave
July 21st, 2022, 05:06
I've changed a few things, but haven't had much time for any really new stuff.

dberkompas
July 21st, 2022, 14:26
Playing around with:
item.definition.isContainer == true

Looks promising.

Dave

Note: JSON fail. I created a character, put some things in the backpack, and pulled the JSON, and nothing that was in the Backpack showed up in the JSON data.

How very odd.

Possibly because the inventory feature is relatively new, and the JSON generation is legacy?

deltadave
July 22nd, 2022, 01:52
Playing around with:

Looks promising.

Dave

Note: JSON fail. I created a character, put some things in the backpack, and pulled the JSON, and nothing that was in the Backpack showed up in the JSON data.

How very odd.

Possibly because the inventory feature is relatively new, and the JSON generation is legacy?

I thought it was maybe the way that we were requesting the json, but couldn't find another api to get it from.

dredcobar
July 24th, 2022, 21:40
Now that Wizards has absorbed D&D Beyond would it not be pertinent for FG to get on the band wagon to provide more support for that app?
I am thinking import of characters into FG, export into my D&D Beyond account, and the wildest dream the control of my character moves, rolls, etc... from the D&D Beyond app itself.
Guys whichever VTT gets there first will probably be the next mission for Wizards to "absorb" or be absorbed by...
I hope FG fusion with Steam, which I embraced, has led to an expanded FG "empire"...
Keep up the great work there!

Sincerely,
Dred

zeroking
July 24th, 2022, 22:16
Playing around with:

Looks promising.

Dave

How very odd.

So after digging and trying I figured something out. So the JSON generation is release. The new inventory system is a beta and not included in the release of the JSON file. So there is not a way that I have yet figured out to get the beta JSON version. I'll keep trying.

Marquis_de_Taigeis
July 24th, 2022, 22:17
fantasy grounds is not just DND, there is lots of paizo, call of chtulu, savage worlds, and may more other RPGS which use the platform, making FG focus entirely on dnd would lose a large base of other users

zeroking
July 24th, 2022, 22:19
Now that Wizards has absorbed D&D Beyond would it not be pertinent for FG to get on the band wagon to provide more support for that app?
I am thinking import of characters into FG, export into my D&D Beyond account, and the wildest dream the control of my character moves, rolls, etc... from the D&D Beyond app itself.
Guys whichever VTT gets there first will probably be the next mission for Wizards to "absorb" or be absorbed by...
I hope FG fusion with Steam, which I embraced, has led to an expanded FG "empire"...

Sincerely,
Dred

No offense but I think Fantasy Grounds is a bigger program that supports a lot of different games even ones that are not from Wizards. It would be awesome but it would be detrimental for the others that are not under the umbrella of Wizards. :)

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2022, 23:40

Sincerely,
Dred
It would require a license for that to happen. And probably not one WotC desires to give at this time. It would also require significant developer resources, both from FG and DDB. And bth apps have enough on the plate for the developers that I can't see either prioritizing such.

Anything is possible in the future, but for now, I don't see this happening.

bmos
July 25th, 2022, 00:53
whichever VTT gets there first will probably be the next mission for Wizards to "absorb" or be absorbed by...That would be a very sad day. I much prefer FG being a separate entity and wouldn't want to see them be absorbed by WotC.

deltadave
July 25th, 2022, 04:49
D&D Beyond has no import facility that I'm aware of. The way to get D&D Beyond characters into Fantasy Grounds is to use the tool from this thread - https://beyond2fantasygrounds.com/

Smiteworks, the creators of Fantasy Grounds, already have a license from WotC to convert all of their content to the FG VTT. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=16&hidecore=1&sort=1#TopSellers

D&D Beyond has been moving towards being a VTT for a couple of years, which is something that Wizards has tried before without success, so the buyout will either work out well for D&DBeyond or be a complete disaster, only time will tell.