PDA

View Full Version : Client Copy of a map is not updating.

Bolstaf
October 24th, 2020, 19:45
Having issues with this sequence:

1. Import a new map, host and client display is OK.

2. Edit the source Dundjinni map to add a few new features. I use Dundjinni to export the revised map PNG directly to the FGU images folder.

3. The map dimensions have not changed.

4. Use FGU to open and display the map. All is well, the map now shows the the changes.

5. But, when the map is shared to a client it persists in displaying the old map with none of my changes included.

6. Where the heck is the client getting the old version of the map from and how do I get rid of it?

7. Same behavior on LAN and Server operation.

8. In my case both the host and the client instances are on the same PC.

9. Is it illegal to edit a map in place in the FGU image folder. This was never and issue in FG classic

LordEntrails
October 24th, 2020, 21:03
Client has a cache. Each player will need to clear their cache in order to get the new image. FGC cache is cleared with nuke button on launch screen. FGU cache is cleared in the settings window.

Bolstaf
October 25th, 2020, 19:18
When the client is starting, it goes through "Acquiring File List". Are you saying that it is being selective about which images to acquire from the Host? I would have thought that in the case of a total client restart, hours or maybe days later, the client should not be making assumptions about the host images it needs based on the now "dirty" cache.

Note that is my case, the host and client instances are on the same physical system. The client window gets moved on the Windows extended desktop to display on an attached LCD TV.

Trenloe
October 25th, 2020, 19:34
Yes, the FG is selective about what is redownloadedto the player cache. This is done to minimize the amount of data downloaded when a player connects to the GM.

With the player instance connected, try un-sharing the map on the GM side and then re-sharing. This should send the most recent image to the player instance.

Bolstaf
October 25th, 2020, 20:36
Sorry, no dice.....

Seems that the client is quite determined to ignore the host file list based on what it "knows" is in its cache. No amount of sharing/unsharing will change its mind, it has it's copy and resists all attempts to get it a new copy even after a client restart.

Whilst I see the logic of trying to minimize the amount of data being downloaded by the client, this implementation goes against all the IT Client/Server data integrity rules I learned, i.e. The client startup cannot assume its data is valid based on its own cache perspective or it will run into potential data inaccuracy issues of this type.

Suggestions:

1. Make the unshare/share operation really force the image reload to the client.

2. Or, provide an "always everything" option (check box) in the client for the file acquisition process.

3. Or, provide a global configuration option to select forced all or partial per cache for the acquisition process.

Just my 10c.......

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2020, 20:39
Have you tried clearing the cache?

Bolstaf
October 25th, 2020, 21:14
Where is that feature invoked? The Settings button in the Client will not function while another FGU instance is active on the same system.

The folder icon in the launch screen does not respond to mouse clicks.

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2020, 21:19
Makes sense the settings option won't work while other instances are running.
Exit all player instances, go to the FG Data folder (folder icon on launch screen).
Click the folder icon (top left corner).
Open the cache folder.
Delete the folder that corresponds to the campaign name (or just delete the campaign.dat file inside that folder).

Bolstaf
October 25th, 2020, 23:18
Well now, that worked.....

Once I worked out that clicking on the folder icon did nothing more than open up a windows explorer window where the delete could be performed.

And that fixed the problem, client instances now see the revised map, yippee.....

Problem solved, one more happy user, thank you for your hep, much appreciated.

Great product guys, keep up the good work!

damned
October 26th, 2020, 03:04
I wouldnt make a regular habit of doing this - clearing and redownloading the cache all the time will add time/delay to your sessions...

Bolstaf
October 26th, 2020, 04:04
I wouldn't make a regular habit of doing this - clearing and redownloading the cache all the time will add time/delay to your sessions...

Got it, I will keep this option in my back pocket for those few occasions when I know that a map or image has changed between sessions.

Ecks
October 28th, 2020, 01:22
Another possible option with FGU is to add your updated image to the campaign as a new image (e.g. Map_v1, Map_v2) and add the updated map as a new layer to the existing image. That might get around the issue without having to have the player's clear their cached version. I've started using this method for a map I update between sessions and it's worked so far.

Bolstaf
October 29th, 2020, 18:04
Another possible option with FGU is to add your updated image to the campaign as a new image (e.g. Map_v1, Map_v2) and add the updated map as a new layer to the existing image. That might get around the issue without having to have the player's clear their cached version. I've started using this method for a map I update between sessions and it's worked so far.

Interesting. Can you do this for partial layers, eg to make a previously hidden (from the players) section visible? Does it have to be the entire map?

BronzeDodger
October 29th, 2020, 18:14
This is the habit I got into with FGC - always tweaking the name of an updated image with something like v1, v2 + stop sharing the original, share the updated version (and even deleting the old one).

Would asking to have image cache check file date stamps as part of the update process be a viable wishlist item (or too complicated/too marginal to consider)?

jwatmough
October 29th, 2020, 18:27
There are several ways to approach this. It is really up to you as to what suits your needs. I am not familiar with the software you are using, so on that point, I can not advise but simply saving the new map as a slightly different name. For example, map_1 as your original and map_2 as the updated version will solve your issues. Then you may add the new image as its own entry into the image and maps window or, as previously stated, as a layer on top of your original.
I also stream FGU image related tutorials on our twitch channel every Saturday at 3 pm Eastern time (https://www.twitch.tv/fantasygrounds). I am more than happy to demonstrate how to deal with any issues you may encounter and explain all of the workings of the imaging system.

Ulric
October 29th, 2020, 18:51
I also stream FGU image related tutorials on our twitch channel every Saturday at 3 pm Eastern time. I am more than happy to also demonstrate live how to deal with any issues you may encounter as well as explain all of the workings with the image system.

I would really like to see an episode on this subject!