PDA

View Full Version : Want to change da rules... without programming!

Mammon
May 12th, 2007, 00:04
Hello!
I was wondering if there was a easy, non scripting way to change the rulesets without screwing up my computer. It would be nice to create monsters or magic items for new campaigns. Im no programmer, but im pretty good with computers. Please help!:)

nezzir
May 12th, 2007, 12:05
Hello!
I was wondering if there was a easy, non scripting way to change the rulesets without screwing up my computer. It would be nice to create monsters or magic items for new campaigns. Im no programmer, but im pretty good with computers. Please help!:)

You could work within a campaign environment.

Essentially, when you create a new "Campaign", you are creating a discreet dataset. That is to say, it's a simple "mod", but the files are loose and in their own directory. So, you create the campaign and start entering data. Monsters and encounters in the NPC widget, items in the items widget, etc. You can put lots of different things in the "story" widget, like rules, text you can drag to the chat window, etc. You can put screenies of nearly anything in the map wiget. You can set up a ton of macros in the macro boxes, like dice rolls, frequent information for players, shortcuts to things, etc.

As you type all this in, the information is stored in the campaign folder. When you think you have things like you want it, use /export to create a "module". Now you can create a new campaign and "activate" the module. Your new campaign information is there, but so is the information from the "module" you created.

There you go. An information store created and compiled all within the game environment without ever opening an editor or an archive.

Keep the original scenario that you used for your "ruleset" intact (even back it up now and again) and you can go back to it, add or edit data, then re-export.

Mammon
May 13th, 2007, 00:08
Sweet man, that makes sence. Ill try it out. Thanks!:D