PDA

View Full Version : Mobs/Squads and Other Work Arounds in Combat Tracker

ShotGun Jolly
October 23rd, 2020, 09:17
Ok, so until Nerd Eye Games can complete the work on the CT, I come up with a work around that makes it a little easier to deal with when it comes do working with the combat tracker.

Now, its not perfect, but it helps me until the Devs get this crucial part of the ruleset fixed

Here it is:

Tracking who has acted..
First I create an effect with a duration of 1, called Activated .. When an NPC or Character acts.. I place that into the effects section on the tracker when they act.

Tracking Reactions, IE Parry..
I do the same as above, but I add a "Reacted X Times" effect each time they react, then change the x to match. So you can track the doom cost of other reactions.

This way, when everyone has acted, you can click on the Next Round button and all those effect are removed. See Below Screen Shot
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GG3VAtuKZ1E/X5KQKNLqaDI/AAAAAAAARg4/4fqoCcqnCi4i5PfEDEtn5Dfv3e3OovErwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1905/FG%2BCT%2BWork%2Baround.PNG

Handling Mobs and Squads

So, this is far from perfect, but it cuts down on a LOT of the clutter, when you have individual tokens EVERYWHERE!

In the Special Abilities section of the NPC sheet, I add a new line. (Which actually creates a note) In that note, I then add the Squad members, so you can have access to their information and dice rollers during a combat in one spot.

See Screen shots for a better idea of what I do. But it allows a GM to quickly get to the minions stats and notes, and have it all accessible on the CT. Essentially, I nest the information I would need in the main NPC sheet.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uqnBdwm37Cc/X5KQWC5LtII/AAAAAAAARg8/hnPBa1clWVUNuOAVjV2nTNr2CcE_sV2LQCLcBGAsYHQ/s2048/FG%2BCT%2BMob%2BWork%2Baround.PNG

I hope this helps, it does for me...

Valyar
October 23rd, 2020, 12:22
I really like the Effect-based approach for tracking combatants that acted/reacted in a round! I have been using codes in the Initiative field to do that, but your way seems much more elegant. And it resets automatically. Definitely for large combats is much much better!

ShotGun Jolly
October 23rd, 2020, 18:41
How do you handle mobs and squads?

Valyar
October 23rd, 2020, 19:17
Mobs I handled by putting the NPC instance in the tracker and using multiplier in the name, to indicate the size of the group. Squads I handled by putting the leader in the CT and renaming the minion instance to align after the leader. It was cumbersome.

I also used tokens with bigger size to indicate the mobs and facilitate some targeting on the combat map.

ShotGun Jolly
November 5th, 2020, 04:26
I got another idea, that may work for some of you. Personally, I do not think that this idea is new to those who play this. But figured I share.

I tend to overlook the box that says if a NPC is a minion, toughened, or nemesis. As a visual reference, what I plan on doing is making tokens that have a visual queue to pick up on. So here is what I am thinking..

A Decorative Circle - Nemesis

A Chain Circle - Toughened

A Plain Circle - Minion

ShotGun Jolly
November 6th, 2020, 18:58
Not for the CT tracker, but another tip to make life a little easier to track.

In the combat section of the character sheet, add a "momentum Talents Rerolls" This way, when you need to reroll certain dice for spends or abilities it can be better tracked in the combat tracker, as it adds and counts effects properly.

vegaserik
November 7th, 2020, 01:46
Sorry double post

vegaserik
November 7th, 2020, 01:48
Vampire the Masquerade rule set on Unity has two features that would be nice for Conan. They have a simple checkbox in the combat tracker to keep track of who has acted, and second there is a feature where you can reroll dice using Willpower, but when you click on the button to do that your roll appears in a pop up box allowing you to select the dice to reroll. Once that's done the total roll appears in the chat window.
I don't know if looking at one ruleset can help with a different one, if not I apologize.