PDA

View Full Version : How to make a tracker / table

Challa4
October 23rd, 2020, 00:26
Hey guys & gals,
I'm trying to get used to FGU and learn how to use it, but I've ran into a wall I'm trying to climb. In pathfinder there was an adventure path that used "Trust Points" to track how the party has done with dealing with the locals. So in essence, I want to make a tracker that I can add points to or subtract points from. Is this something that can be done? Any direction would help! I had hoped to use a table for it, but looks like they're just rollable tables and not really for tracking overall spammer

LordEntrails
October 23rd, 2020, 02:25
The "Table" object list is for roll-able tables, as you discovered. But, in a story you can make a story table, which is then editable all you want, it's just text formatted in table rows/columns/cells. You can also track things like this on the Party Inventory. You could simply make an item and then change the quantity of the items to track your points. Depends on if you want your players to be able to easily be able to see it and what you prefer.

There are also extension that other capabilities that may help with this too. Such as Player Agency.

Griogre
October 23rd, 2020, 03:51
Or you could just do an image with a track and move a token around, or use numbered tokens on an image and just change the numbers. Depends on how high the trust number range is.

A Social Yeti
October 23rd, 2020, 20:40
Hey guys & gals,
I'm trying to get used to FGU and learn how to use it, but I've ran into a wall I'm trying to climb. In pathfinder there was an adventure path that used "Trust Points" to track how the party has done with dealing with the locals. So in essence, I want to make a tracker that I can add points to or subtract points from. Is this something that can be done? Any direction would help! I had hoped to use a table for it, but looks like they're just rollable tables and not really for tracking overall.

Depends on what you are imaging here.
If you just want a way to track this in FG, any note or story entry can be used for you to make notes in for keeping track of whatever.

But if you were imaging FG parsing the tracked point total into how event or character states are out in the future, i do not belvei FG has any kind of built in function to help automate that stuff
it would just be you the GM manually tracking it, and then you the GM manually modifying an encounter or how you RP the NPC in relation to the point total.

Anything doing more of the workload would be a user made extension is any such exists for historical event tracking for determining the state of an event or character when the players get to it. As it seems you are describing here anyway.

Three of Swords
October 27th, 2020, 00:46
My suggestion: Use a Parcel.

You can change the coin types to be what your commonly track (Trust Points). Or create an Item on the right side in the same way. This way you can add and subtract small amounts using CTRL-Mousewheel. You can use the modifier for large changes and have it do the math for you.

A Social Yeti
October 27th, 2020, 18:16
While i have not yet GM'd with FG i am currently deep into the study and practice of it. I do not want to be the gm that has long stretches of down time in a session while i figure out the technicals.

At this time i do believe i am probably going to keep a spread sheet open for tracking certain types of data that need to inform how i RP an NPC or what the initial state of an encounter is when the PCs get to it.

As i have been finding that FG already needs a lot of screen real estate for the maps, combat tracker, and other various actual functional GM tools.

So as FG does not have a built in way to do if/then encounter states based on the PCs' historical event aggregate data. I do believe that keeping some forms of data tracking notes for myself is just goign to be easier to do and keep organized, as my own notes outside of FG.

For the more complicated stuff i'll probably make the same encounter for each possible state, and then use my notes to know which version to load for the encounter when the players get to it.

Personal note: i tend to avoid extensions/add-ons in any software like the plague. I generally find i get a better return/effort ratio for my time and effort, to figure out working with what i got, more than trying to make what i got be what i wish for.

Nylanfs
October 27th, 2020, 20:52
For the more complicated stuff i'll probably make the same encounter for each possible state, and then use my notes to know which version to load for the encounter when the players get to it.

I just remembered a website that you might like that is designed to help with world building and note taking! It's aimed at GM's, authors, etc.
https://www.notebook.ai/

damned
April 4th, 2021, 14:28
sorry guys you were wasting your time with a spammer

Griogre
April 4th, 2021, 19:40
Yeah, I've been noticing some are slipping through by using "keywords" probably taken off the site. The real issue is that some are very close to people whom English is not their first language :(

Geometer
April 6th, 2021, 10:03
sorry guys you were wasting your time with a spammer

Just curious, but how can you tell?

If the OP is a spammer then Fantasy Grounds gets a much better class of spam than most, that was actually an interesting question with some helpful answers I can make use of.

Kelrugem
April 6th, 2021, 12:20

If the OP is a spammer then Fantasy Grounds gets a much better class of spam than most, that was actually an interesting question with some helpful answers I can make use of.

In this case because it is a copy of this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58387-How-to-make-a-tracker-table

So, they just copy another thread, which is why it looks like a "better class of spam" :D At some point after some answers they probably edited their post to add some link or so, while the already recieved answers may then give the wrong impression that the links are okay :) (damned probably removed the link already if there was one)

damned
April 6th, 2021, 12:29
Yes Kel is correct.

damned
April 6th, 2021, 12:33
So here is another one - new post - its a good post and all the friendly orcs here will jump in with sage advice...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67618-Beginning-to-think-I-was-a-little-hasty-when-I-agreed-to-six-players

Problem is its identical to this post:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65783-Beginning-to-think-I-was-a-little-hasty-when-I-agreed-to-six-players

Which on review is also a f@#$ing spammer...

FyreM
April 6th, 2021, 18:54
well, that is a new technique i will have to watch out for on other forums i use. i simply had not thought of this.

Jiminimonka
April 6th, 2021, 19:35

damned is a wizard of immense power and knowledge.

Geometer
April 7th, 2021, 10:27
In this case because it is a copy of this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58387-How-to-make-a-tracker-table

So, they just copy another thread, which is why it looks like a "better class of spam" :D At some point after some answers they probably edited their post to add some link or so, while the already recieved answers may then give the wrong impression that the links are okay :) (damned probably removed the link already if there was one)

Ok, I understand. Thanks for enlightening me. Devious bar stewards, eh?

damned
April 7th, 2021, 13:44
I have nuked over 50 posts today with this crap going on.

The Decepticon
April 7th, 2021, 14:11
I have nuked over 50 posts today with this crap going on.

Wow, thank you for your work on this. I am definitely going to be more careful on what links I am clicking on in the future!