PDA

View Full Version : Zuilin's Whisper Windows for 5E FGU

zuilin
October 20th, 2020, 21:19
* I AM NO LONGER MAINTAINING THIS EXTENSION. I MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN PASSING ON THE TORCH TO THE RIGHT DEV IF THE OPPORTUNITY ARISES. *

* NOW WORKS WITH ALL CORERPG BASED RULESETS, NOT JUST 5E! *

Available now at Fantasy Grounds Forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/168/view

The Best Way to Send and Receive Whispers in 5E FGU!

Whispering in Fantasy Grounds Unity could be better, right?

Do you need to pass notes during your D&D game?
Tired of typing “/w…” and “/r” all the time to send whispers?
Do you sometimes not see incoming whispers and miss critical information in the busy, scrolling chat window, or while your attention is focused elsewhere?
Are other windows covering your chat window and also causing you to miss incoming whispers?

Zuilin’s Whisper Windows is the solution!

By creating pop-up windows each time you receive a whisper, you’ll no longer miss seeing them in the busy chat window.

Reply right in the Whisper Window!

Using the built-in right-click-to-start-a-whisper system is easier than ever! (When you right-click on a portrait to start a whisper, you get a new whisper window right there...much quicker than using /w or having to correctly position your cursor in the chat window.)

Great for players and Dungeon Masters!

zuilin
October 20th, 2020, 21:20
Reserved.

LordEntrails
October 21st, 2020, 16:55
MOD: Moved to Paid Creations

Weissrolf
January 25th, 2021, 11:07
Any chance to allow links to be sent as whisper (drag link symbol to whisper window)?

zuilin
January 25th, 2021, 22:40
Any chance to allow links to be sent as whisper (drag link symbol to whisper window)?

No plans at this time, but it's an interesting idea.

Weissrolf
January 25th, 2021, 22:54
I'd like to send players whispering links to NPCs when they identify a monster. Currently I drag it to the chat and tell everyone not to look other than the player who identified. Then the identifying player takes a quick look, gets overwhelmed by information while being stressed by combat. This leads to the nice effect of monster information being relayed a bit hastily and often only partly correct or at least mechanically only roughly explained. Quite fitting for combat situations.

zuilin
January 25th, 2021, 22:57
I'd like to send players whispering links to NPCs when they identify a monster. Currently I drag it to the chat and tell everyone not to look other than the player who identified. Then the identifying player takes a quick look, gets overwhelmed by information while being stressed by combat. This leads to the nice effect of monster information being relayed a bit hastily and often only partly correct or at least mechanically only roughly explained. Quite fitting for combat situations.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ludd_G
January 26th, 2021, 14:16

I'm not at the PC right now, but can't you just drag the text to the player portrait top left of the screen, to give only that person the info? Or am I misunderstanding? (wouldn't be the first time! :) )

Weissrolf
January 26th, 2021, 14:35
Nope. You can drag text from the chat window to the player portrait, but you cannot drag text or links from encounter/NPC info to the portrait.

You can drag the encounter/NPC link (red dragon button) to the chat for everyone to click/open, but it would be great to do that for whispers as well (drag link on portrait -> whisper window opens for the player showing the link to click on).

Ludd_G
January 26th, 2021, 15:28
Hi. Sorry, I'm just trying to get a feel for what it is you want to share? Is it the flavour text for an NPC or the full NPC sheet, and the full story that contains the encounter? It's just that I've just tried with a second player instance of FG and I've been able to drop all those things onto the PC portrait and have them appear in their instance? Obviously I only have the one player (myself) connected so it maybe that when I (GM) drop the link/text etc on the portrait it would appear to everyone rather than just the portrait owner? I'm using Unity by the way.

Sorry not trying to be obtuse, just trying to help if I can (plus I get to learn something new)

Weissrolf
January 26th, 2021, 16:14
Thanks for pushing me, because it seems like I tried to specifically put the link into the open whisper window instead of moving it over the portrait. I mean to remember that I also tried the portrait in the past, but obviously I did not. Given that this is built-in functionality and thus does not even need the extra whisper window (link is directly opened, not send as whisper), please forget anything I wrote before. ;)

Ludd_G
January 26th, 2021, 16:15
That's great news! I hope it helps you torture your players more easily! :)

Weissrolf
January 26th, 2021, 16:53
I like that players who roll for NPC knowledge can get things mixed up in the heat of the battle. Also keeps things flowing, because the GM (me) isn't busy quoting stats.

Naxyr
September 26th, 2021, 15:26
I see this is on forge now and no longer on GMs Guild but what about those of us who purchased it on DMG? Are we going to have to purchase again?

Trenloe
September 26th, 2021, 15:45
I see this is on forge now and no longer on GMs Guild but what about those of us who purchased it on DMG? Are we going to have to purchase again?
Some background info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?69801-Fantasy-Grounds-Forge-FAQ

If and when gifting comes along for the Forge it'll be up to @zuilin if they gift copies to those who purchased on DMsGuild.

Naxyr
September 26th, 2021, 15:49
I guess the main issue I have is that DMsG allows updates still but currently the version I have is out of date and no longer works for my players being able to whisper me. If updates can still continue, why not update the addon on both sites?

plap3014
September 26th, 2021, 22:32
confirm, players was not able to whisper Gm.

regards

Trenloe
September 26th, 2021, 23:43
confirm, players was not able to whisper Gm.
Is your installed version of the extension extension from DMsGuild or the Forge?

plap3014
September 26th, 2021, 23:46
Is your installed version of the extension extension from DMsGuild or the Forge?

Forge

regards

Trenloe
September 27th, 2021, 00:02
Forge

regards
Thanks for confirming. So, it sounds like it's a problem with the extension in general, not just the extension on DMsGuild. Hopefully @zuilin will be able to address that. @Naxyr - thanks for reporting the issue.

SirMotte
July 31st, 2022, 08:06
Hey there Pal, your extension really made the last session shine. We used it as a workaround for telepathic characters - Big Success!

On that note, I'd like to request, that the Whisper window stays open, sort of like a private chat. Is this possible?

Cheers
Sir Motte

Remedeez
February 2nd, 2023, 17:01
The forge link in post #1 of this thread doesn't appear to work anymore. And searching "whisper window" on the Forge doesn't seem to pull up this extension anymore. Has it been discontinued?

zuilin
February 2nd, 2023, 17:26
The forge link in post #1 of this thread doesn't appear to work anymore. And searching "whisper window" on the Forge doesn't seem to pull up this extension anymore. Has it been discontinued?

I've put it on hold right now as I decide how to proceed with releases amid the D&D OGL mess. I will most likely re-open this addon for download in the next week or two.

Remedeez
February 2nd, 2023, 17:36
I've put it on hold right now as I decide how to proceed with releases amid the D&D OGL mess. I will most likely re-open this addon for download in the next week or two.

Alrighty, thanks! Can't wait to see it back! Cheers!

zuilin
February 2nd, 2023, 17:38
Alrighty, thanks! Can't wait to see it back! Cheers!

Well, heck. I've gone and relisted it. I think it may take a few hours (day?) to show up again. Enjoy!

Remedeez
February 2nd, 2023, 17:50
Well, heck. I've gone and relisted it. I think it may take a few hours (day?) to show up again. Enjoy!

Nice! Thank you again so much!!

MrDDT
February 3rd, 2023, 23:51
Love this EXT thank you so much been using it forever.

Dax Doomslayer
December 19th, 2023, 14:54
Hi,
I believe that this extension no longer works? New campaign and only extension activated, there's no pop up. It worked up until the previous update. Thanks.

nephranka
December 19th, 2023, 15:23
Hi,
I believe that this extension no longer works? New campaign and only extension activated, there's no pop up. It worked up until the previous update. Thanks.

I can confirm that as well.

zuilin
December 19th, 2023, 16:19
Unfortunately, I won't be maintaining the extension going forward as I no longer use FGU as my VTT. I might consider passing it on to another developer if the opportunity arises.

Dax Doomslayer
December 19th, 2023, 18:09
Unfortunately, I won't be maintaining the extension going forward as I no longer use FGU as my VTT. I might consider passing it on to another developer if the opportunity arises.

Bummer. Thanks for the reply Zullin. Happy gaming and good luck with the new VTT.

rocketvaultgames
January 9th, 2024, 21:15
I know you aren't currently maintaining this, but I just wanted to put this here in case you pass the torch:

Currently in 5E with no other extensions (and with many other extensions) loaded, when a player whispers back to the GM, the GM gets the following error:

[ERROR] Handler error: [string "470730-ZWhisperFGU:scripts/zwhisper.lua"]:140: attempt to index local 'cSenderPortraitControl' (a nil value)

Lexi the Red
January 11th, 2024, 01:32

This makes me very sad. The extension is still working (mostly) but it pops an error every time a player sends me (the DM) a whisper. This has been on my list of "must have" extensions for quite awhile now.

Vorgon
January 12th, 2024, 12:45
Was the abandonment announced on the official FGU discord ? If not, maybe there we would be able to find a creator who takes over this extension.