PDA

View Full Version : Token Counter

Honean
October 20th, 2020, 14:37
Hi FG Experts,

In my campaign my characters have to defend a city by leading different (small) armies. I invented some kind of mini-ruleset for this kind of encounters.

So now to my problem: I would like to have a counter on the army token where one can see the number/size of the army. I would be totally fine if I could add single digits (0-9). Has anyone any idea how i can deal with this? or do I have to work around it "manually" and count.

maybe an example
Army1 consists of 5 units
Army 2 of 8 units

Army 1 attacks Army 2 and kills 3 Units. Now both counters should show 5

Thank you for help.

BR
Honean

Neovirtus
October 20th, 2020, 14:59
Set them up as NPC's and use HP. it wouldn't have a number token, but you can add health bars which would be a different visual representation.

Granamere
October 20th, 2020, 15:00
IMO if I was doing this I would use different tokens for each army and then in the combat tracker I would list the army size in either the name or the effects. Adding in picture.

Honean
October 20th, 2020, 15:47
Thank you both for the fast replys.

I love both solutions because they are super easy :). I feel a little stupid now that i did not think about HP bars :)

Thx a lot guys

Neovirtus
October 20th, 2020, 18:03
Thank you both for the fast replys.

I love both solutions because they are super easy :). I feel a little stupid now that i did not think about HP bars :)

Thx a lot guys

No problem, it's always easy to overlook the simplest solutions :D

Nylanfs
October 20th, 2020, 18:05
Always use the Rubber Duck method (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging) of solving problems.

Neovirtus
October 20th, 2020, 20:49
Haha that's fantastic Nylanfs.

A Social Yeti
October 21st, 2020, 18:06
The POV that is treating the PCs/NPCs as generic stats, that we have to add our imagination to, to understand their scale representation.
A single NPC token can be a scale of one or it can be a scale of many. This can be seen in the monsters, as some of them are actually whole swarms of something, as one token.