PDA

View Full Version : PC token size?

Callum
May 10th, 2007, 20:03
When you create player tokens by dragging from their discs onto the map (or via the combat tracker), what size are they? Is there any way this default can be changed? Currently, they seem to be a lot smaller than all the 50x50 pixel monster tokens I've made...

Griogre
May 10th, 2007, 21:02
They match the size of the grid if you have the grid on. I'm not sure what size they are if you don't have the grid on probably fairly small given the size of the default counters. Your monsters should also match the size of the grid if their personality space/reach entries are correct. However if you just drag the monsters on from the token box will just be 50 pixels.

The way things work in FG2 you really want to drag everything on the combat tracker then from the tracker to the map so you can get everything proportional. For monster tokens you should drag the token to the personality entry first then the personality to the combat tracker. Now that they have fixed the bug you only have to drag the monster token to the personality once and they are remembered.

greowhiste
May 10th, 2007, 21:29
Playing with this more, it seems that having the combat tracker open all the time, whether you are in combat or not, seems to be the best for keeping track of where the PCs are, what the color-coded "hostily rating" is on all NPCs and monsters, etc.

If this is the case, i've also noticed that the combat tracker doesn't have a "mini" state, or even the ability to minimize it to a little "window chip". That would be helpful I would think.

Callum
May 10th, 2007, 22:21
Your monsters should also match the size of the grid if their personality space/reach entries are correct. However if you just drag the monsters on from the token box will just be 50 pixels.

The way things work in FG2 you really want to drag everything on the combat tracker then from the tracker to the map so you can get everything proportional. For monster tokens you should drag the token to the personality entry first then the personality to the combat tracker.
That doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. When I drag a token onto the personality sheet, then from the sheet onto the combat tracker, then from the tracker onto a map with a grid on, I always get a big token that isn't adjusted to the grid size.

Sir Bayard
May 10th, 2007, 22:42
My tokens don't auto adjust to the grid size, I manually adjust them through the combat tracker using the mouse wheel over the token.

Griogre
May 10th, 2007, 22:43
If this is the case, i've also noticed that the combat tracker doesn't have a "mini" state, or even the ability to minimize it to a little "window chip". That would be helpful I would think.
I think they did not bother to make a minimize for it because the combat tracker has it's own dedicated button. Press it once to open, again to close, then again to open. Even in FG1 the combat tracker remembered each entry, it was just when it crashed you had to re-enter everything.

Griogre
May 10th, 2007, 23:34
My tokens don't auto adjust to the grid size, I manually adjust them through the combat tracker using the mouse wheel over the token.
It is also important to have a grid on the map before you drop a token on them. If you have no grid and then add the tokens you will need to resize them by zooming just like it was FG1.

Hmm, I was just playing with this some and I am seeing some auto sizing on tokens out of the token box once I have a grid on the map. I did find the gold ring token size appears to be pretty close to 30 pixels when placed on a map. This is a guess, I had a 32 pixel token and a 28 pixel token and the ring tokens and default letter tokens are the same size and in size between 28 and 32.

I personally do not use 50 pixels squares for 5x5 medium size creatures. I use 32 pixels squares. I dropped a 64 pixel square horse down and it showed up in porportion to the grid I also dropped some generic monster counters down I happened to to have and they were sized appropriately. They are obviously being scaled.

While playing around with this I created a new map with a smaller scale than the other map I was messing around on. Then it appeared the tokens were not scaled to the grid. They may have still been scaled to the first map I dropped them on. Note I did not use the combat tracker at all to resize anything.

Hmm, there may be a bug in this somewhere. The tokens will resize to an existing map with a grid. When I create a new map and resize the grid it does not appear to work. I will mess around with later but if someone else can figure it out that would be good too.

Sir Bayard
May 11th, 2007, 00:02
I always lay a grid down on a map before I do anything else. It's a habit. I do not notice any token resizing at all, unless I manually resize the tokens. I tested the PC protrait by making a map with a 25x25 grid, in which the PC was too large, then a 50x50 grid map, PC portrait too small. Then I did a 100x100 just to play around.

My tokens fit the grid, ebcause I built my tokens to fitr the grid. I use a 50x50 for medium creatures, and I built my monsters accordingly, so they fit fine on the 50x50 grid. If I change that grid size, they do not adjust automatically, I have to do it manually.

In order to test this, I consitently exited the game and logged back in using a new map every time just to see if the token scales were being "remembered" and it made no difference.

Can anyone else verify what Grigore is saying? It's not that I doubt it, it's jsut that I can't replicate it at all and I want to see what I'm doing wrong if this feature does exist.

Griogre
May 11th, 2007, 00:13
I was starting to wonder if you need to have <= to a 30 pixel grid but now I don't think so. I think there is a problem somewhere (or I just don't understand the how it works now).

Griogre
May 29th, 2007, 18:27
Ok I got around to messing with the resizing token thing. PC tokens do not appear to resize as many have noticed. It was utter coincidence. When I was first messing around I was assuming the portrait tokens were coming in at around 63 pixels when dragged off. I dropped them on a 32 pixel grid and low they resized – not. The native size with nothing turned on is about that of the default tokens or 30 pixels.

I use a default 32 pixel size for medium monsters so I was just be confused by the fact the 30 pixel tokens almost perfectly matched my default grid. Monsters, of course, do resize to the grid to match their space and reach stats. Maybe characters should have a size and reach stat also to allow them to resize to any grid they are dropped on automatically.