PDA

View Full Version : Mixing LOS and Mask - can it be done ?

steve23eris
October 17th, 2020, 10:20
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place in the forum for this but here goes anyway...:-)

I'm using FGU.

Is there a way of having LOS on but also using mask ?

Fingers crossed I can explain what I mean......sometimes players go to areas that id rather reveal more of that they can see with LOS function. I want to keep the LOS on but for that moment I want to be able to unmask
more of what is infront of them.

I dont seem to be able to do it.

Any advice appreciated :-)

Steve

amerigoV
October 17th, 2020, 14:28
You can have both, but they do work differently. But what might work better for what you describe is hold down Shift then move the token to what you want them to see. The shift keeps it from revealing everything between where the token was and where you put it down (this presumes there is an area of map between the two that you do not want to reveal).

The other thing you can do is have the mask on to cover what you want. A token does need to have been in the area of the mask. You can then manually reveal some of the mask later. Let me give an example.

Say you have a control room on one side of the map and it has a visual on another part of the map called Area 51. You want to put the Mask on Area 51. Rest of LOS is normal. You will want to drop the token in Area51 so it "reveals" the normal LOS (although the player will not see anything because the mask is on). The token just needs to be where it can see what you want it to see. You can then move the token back (Shift-move recommended). Then you manually reveal the area when the PCs look at the monitor. The revealed area will look a bit darker - its the "you have been here" shading you get when you have explored an area and left it.

You can do this before you share the map (put the PC tokens in that masked area then move them to where they should be, then share the map).

I am going to do this in an upcoming game where the PCs are exploring a derelict spaceship. The map has a key already on it (1= bridge, 3 = engine room, etc). So I have the key in its own LOS area and masked. As they explore, I will unmask each item on the key so they will have their own reference.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2020, 17:08
See the second video in this series which covers this. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112