PDA

View Full Version : New PC - Can't Update/Install

Hyperventilator
October 16th, 2020, 18:17
Just got a new computer. Installed Steam and FGU but the initial update says it doesn't have permissions/access to run.

So I can't access the main Fantasy Grounds Unity program at all, because running the updater successfully for the first time seems to be a prerequisite: There isn't a main program exe file in the program files folder that I could run.

I have tried running the updater as administrator. I have only one user (administrator) on my Windows 10 system. I have tried uninstalling the program. It didn't let me, so I deleted the folder and installed again. Same problem.

Screenshot attached.

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2020, 18:58
Correct, the install only installs the updater. Then running the updater installs the program.

Check your anti-virus. Try installing directly from the website and don't install via Steam. Check the folder permissions for your installation & FG Data directory.

Hyperventilator
October 16th, 2020, 19:28
Correct, the install only installs the updater. Then running the updater installs the program.

Check your anti-virus. Try installing directly from the website and don't install via Steam. Check the folder permissions for your installation & FG Data directory.

I have installed without antivirus, I tried installing directly from the website - same problem.

Not sure how to check permissions for installation & FG data directory the proper way. I have taken a look in the folder permissions but can't say for sure if everything is okay there.

Edit: I compared all folder permissions to my old computer (where FGU works fine) and they are identical. I don't know what to try anymore.

smelton
October 16th, 2020, 21:25
That message appears when your user account doesn't have permissions to write to the installation directory, which if you used the default should be C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds. The installer should have added the Users group with write permissions to that directory, so if it's not present, its likely your antivirus software removed them. To double-check, open File Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks, then right-click on the Fantasy Grounds folder and select Properties, then click the Security tab. Compare your permissions to the attachment:

Hyperventilator
October 16th, 2020, 22:15
That message appears when your user account doesn't have permissions to write to the installation directory, which if you used the default should be C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds. The installer should have added the Users group with write permissions to that directory, so if it's not present, its likely your antivirus software removed them. To double-check, open File Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks, then right-click on the Fantasy Grounds folder and select Properties, then click the Security tab. Compare your permissions to the attachment:

OK, thank you. Now I got past the permission prompt. I got stuck at the updater but I disabled windows defender real-time protection and tried again. Now it works! Thank you very, very much!!

One last question: In your screenshot image, you have granted "Modify" permissions to user. Is that required, too?

Edit: Disregard my attached image. I don't know how to remove it (chose the wrong one)

smelton
October 16th, 2020, 22:58
I would say yes, go ahead and add Modify if it is not already checked. I also suggest adding an exclusion for the installation directory to Windows Defender so you do not have to disable it every time you want to run an update

Hyperventilator
October 16th, 2020, 23:21
I would say yes, go ahead and add Modify if it is not already checked. I also suggest adding an exclusion for the installation directory to Windows Defender so you do not have to disable it every time you want to run an update

I can't thank you enough, cheers!