PDA

View Full Version : Officially Licensed ALIEN RPG Ruleset!

Valyar
October 14th, 2020, 22:53
Hello everyone!

The officially licensed ruleset for ALIEN RPG by Free League has just been released! Now you can be part of a universe of body horror and corporate brinkmanship, where synthetic people play god while space truckers and marines serve host to newborn ghoulish creatures. It’s a harsh and unforgiving universe and you are nothing if not expendable.

Stay alive if you can.

The ruleset is supported on Classic and Unity versions of Fantasy Grounds and can be obtained from SmiteWorks web store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGALIENRPGFLFALE002) or Steam (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1441600/Fantasy_Grounds__Alien_the_Roleplaying_Game/?curator_clanid=5967781)

Alongside the ruleset, we have released the two cinematic scenarios Chariot of the Gods and Destroyer of Worlds written by sci-fi novelist Andrew E.C. Gaska and published by Free League.

Cheers,
Simon and Valyar

NotRussellCrowe
October 15th, 2020, 00:57
Chariot of the Gods is not yet available on the FG store or Steam as far as I can see.

Regardless, great work on the rule set!!!

Valyar
October 16th, 2020, 07:56
Thank you! I hope in time and with the ideas from the community to enhance further and further the ruleset and its content. This foundation will be also used in other YZE-based games. :)

In regards to the Chariot of the Gods, it has been submitted together with the core ruleset and the other cinematic scenario. Due to increased number of overall submissions to SW the product is probably going to appear in the next release. But it is already in the pipeline and this is the store link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGALIENRPGFLFALE009

NotRussellCrowe
October 16th, 2020, 09:24
Thank you! I hope in time and with the ideas from the community to enhance further and further the ruleset and its content. This foundation will be also used in other YZE-based games. :)

In regards to the Chariot of the Gods, it has been submitted together with the core ruleset and the other cinematic scenario. Due to increased number of overall submissions to SW the product is probably going to appear in the next release. But it is already in the pipeline and this is the store link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGALIENRPGFLFALE009

That's fantastic, looking forward to it for sure!

Other YZE games... Does that mean there are others beihg worked on? :)

spite
October 16th, 2020, 09:31

God I simultaneously hope so, and also dread the state of my wallet.

spite
October 16th, 2020, 12:13
Does buying this on steam give you access to both unity and classic? Or would i need to buy it twice.

Valyar
October 16th, 2020, 13:00

We certainly hope so, plans are in motion, content is ready. :)

Does buying this on steam give you access to both unity and classic? Or would i need to buy it twice.
The ruleset and its modules are supported both on Classic and Unity. As every other product supported on both platforms, you don't need to buy it twice, because it is linked to your account. The only gotcha is that you need to purchase Unity if you don't have it already, as it is separate product. :)

NotRussellCrowe
October 16th, 2020, 19:51

You are saying all the right words!

Good luck and thanks for all you've done!

spite
October 18th, 2020, 08:26

The ruleset and its modules are supported both on Classic and Unity. As every other product supported on both platforms, you don't need to buy it twice, because it is linked to your account. The only gotcha is that you need to purchase Unity if you don't have it already, as it is separate product. :)

Perfect.
I've honestly been so vacant on trying/using Unity that I've sorta just not tried figuring out how everything works haha. Good to know thoough, and I look forward to more YZE games! It'd be great to get my whole gaming shelf on FG!
(Resisting temptation to flex my Fria Ligan collection...)

Saeval
October 18th, 2020, 10:35
I'm listening to an actual play podcast of Vaesen and I really want to see that make an appearance on Fantasy Grounds. I love nordic horror so I'm hooked. I was also very excited to see the Alien rpg on here because I've wanted to try it for a while but my group is spread out across multiple states so we only play online now. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ruleset evolves and more automation is added. This is a fantastic start and I'm so happy this is here. I don't know how feasible it is and I know it's a low priority but I loved how the stats and skills were laid out on the official character sheet and would love to see that diamond shaped layout on the official FG sheet

Valyar
October 18th, 2020, 11:16
Actually, in one of the sheet versions I worked on, I tried to mimic the diamond layout of the printed character sheet. What I found out was the use of screen space was sub-optimal and sheet was getting too large and eating too much screen real estate without much benefit. Also if I was reducing the graphics, this makes fonts unreadable when people use scaling.

Also, I wanted to prevent tab-switching during combat or action scenes, therefore Attributes/Skills are replicated to Combat tab, but in read-only mode. I decided to take advantage of the established principles and usage of Fantasy Grounds that people know in other systems and make functional sheet (I hope this is the case :) ) rather than replicating the original and ending with inefficient use of the screen. The closes to the original is the arrangement of the skills below their respective attributes. Same was done with the PC ship's sheet.

Once we have the official launch after Chariot of the Gods release I will put threads with release notes & feature suggestions, where we can discuss what you would like to see in the future versions.

Saeval
October 18th, 2020, 11:23
That makes sense, I’m all for efficiency and especially readability. I’m looking forward to some of the drag n drop functionality of adding your career directly to your sheet and having links next to the skills to pull up info about them. There’s a few bugs and things to work out but I’m excited of the prospect of this ruleset evolving

Dr0W
October 20th, 2020, 19:15
Kinda unrelated question: Is there an interest of making the other Fria Ligan systems? Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, etc? Love them all.

NotRussellCrowe
October 20th, 2020, 19:18
Kinda unrelated question: Is there an interest of making the other Fria Ligan systems? Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, etc? Love them all.

Yes, see below for more details. Though which exact content--other than Chariot of the Gods--has not been mentioned yet.

NotRussellCrowe
October 20th, 2020, 19:23
And Chariot of the Gods has been released:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGALIENRPGFLFALE009

So now whatever else is to come out is a mystery. :D

vegaserik
October 21st, 2020, 10:29
I'm listening to an actual play podcast of Vaesen and I really want to see that make an appearance on Fantasy Grounds. I love nordic horror so I'm hooked. I was also very excited to see the Alien rpg on here because I've wanted to try it for a while but my group is spread out across multiple states so we only play online now. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ruleset evolves and more automation is added. This is a fantastic start and I'm so happy this is here. I don't know how feasible it is and I know it's a low priority but I loved how the stats and skills were laid out on the official character sheet and would love to see that diamond shaped layout on the official FG sheet

Is Vaesen in the works? PLEASE! That would be awesome :)

NotRussellCrowe
October 21st, 2020, 12:54
Is Vaesen in the works? PLEASE! That would be awesome :)

I bet they have some tales about what they're working on so I hope they don't keep us in a loop of unknowing for too long and just let all the information flood out. ;)

Vaesen would be cool too :D

Valyar
October 21st, 2020, 13:32
When there is agreement with Fria Ligan on the next product, I will let you know :)
Until the, I can say that I have Coriolis, Forbidden Lands and Vaesen as ready made content. I am big fan of FL games.

NotRussellCrowe
October 22nd, 2020, 01:32
When there is agreement with Fria Ligan on the next product, I will let you know :)
Until the, I can say that I have Coriolis, Forbidden Lands and Vaesen as ready made content. I am big fan of FL games.

There's a lot to like with Free League games that's for sure. I look forward to seeing what you have for those games. It is good to see them embracing VTTs that's for sure, hopefully their entire cataloge will be available in due time.

damned
October 22nd, 2020, 02:47
Hello everyone!

The officially licensed ruleset for ALIEN RPG by Free League has just been released! Now you can be part of a universe of body horror and corporate brinkmanship, where synthetic people play god while space truckers and marines serve host to newborn ghoulish creatures. It’s a harsh and unforgiving universe and you are nothing if not expendable.

Stay alive if you can.

The ruleset is supported on Classic and Unity versions of Fantasy Grounds and can be obtained from SmiteWorks web store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGALIENRPGFLFALE002) or Steam (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1441600/Fantasy_Grounds__Alien_the_Roleplaying_Game/?curator_clanid=5967781)

Alongside the ruleset, we have released the two cinematic scenarios Chariot of the Gods and Destroyer of Worlds written by sci-fi novelist Andrew E.C. Gaska and published by Free League.

Cheers,
Simon and Valyar

Congratulations guys.

spite
October 24th, 2020, 04:09

That's awesome! Is there any chance of the Mutant stuff? If you do get more agreements, and need someone to input things in for MYZ books and expansions etc, I'm more than happy to do that as contributing towards it.

gbhenderson
November 11th, 2020, 19:10
I bought the ruleset a few days ago. Figured it would be a fun break from our regular 2E & SWADE campaigns. I read the Player and GM material a few times, and was running Hadley's Hope just 3 days later.

Being extremely new to FG and having never touched the Year Zero stuff, all I can say is that this ruleset is amazingly fun. So easy to learn and play. It was the funnest time I've had GM'ing in a long time, and the group loved it as well.

Great job. I'm really looking forward to more content, and hopefully more YZ settings.

Valyar
November 12th, 2020, 07:11
I bought the ruleset a few days ago. Figured it would be a fun break from our regular 2E & SWADE campaigns. I read the Player and GM material a few times, and was running Hadley's Hope just 3 days later.

Being extremely new to FG and having never touched the Year Zero stuff, all I can say is that this ruleset is amazingly fun. So easy to learn and play. It was the funnest time I've had GM'ing in a long time, and the group loved it as well.

Great job. I'm really looking forward to more content, and hopefully more YZ settings.
Thank you! I am happy that the ruleset serves its purpose and managed to provide a good environment to run Alien. Next in line is Vaesen, Coriolis and Forbidden Lands.

NotRussellCrowe
November 12th, 2020, 13:11
Thank you! I am happy that the ruleset serves its purpose and managed to provide a good environment to run Alien. Next in line is Vaesen, Coriolis and Forbidden Lands.

That's a lot of planned rule sets, definitely looking forward to Vaesen, instant buy from me.

Valyar, do you have any thoughts on doing a Tales from the Loop rule set at all?

Valyar
November 12th, 2020, 13:53
Yes, I am avid fan of FL games. :) Order and selection depends on the publisher. The code we put now for Vaesen will support the Tales' mechanics if it is selected at some point.

NotRussellCrowe
November 13th, 2020, 19:51
Great to hear!

Well I'd certainly be happy to help you play test Tales from the Loop :D

Or if you need text entered too. Though no programming, I'm not much into that anymore.

orbitalowl
November 13th, 2020, 21:54
Kudos for Alien RPG rule set. I've been looking forward to running the Alien RPG for months, but was reluctant because of the more complicated mechanics compared to Tales/Things that weren't previously supported in FG. It was a pleasant surprise to see it show up last month. Really helped me out a lot when I ran a two-session Hadley's Hope for Halloween, especially with the Panic mechanic and Death Rolls so tightly integrated. It was very slick and let me focus setting up great scenes. My players loved playing the game. Their characters all got gorphed, but I'm still getting texts about how awesome the sessions were. Also introduced two people to the movies, as they watched the first two films to get caught up on the references and tone. I greatly appreciate the effort to get that rule set, FG theme, and character sheets done!

Another vote for TFTL/TFLF rule set! I ran a Tales campaign for about a year using MoreCore and Coriolis dice entered by hand into character sheets. It worked, but I would love to see a dedicated ruleset for Tales with a good FG Theme and designed character sheet to match the art from the books. We're spinning up a Things from the Flood campaign currently. Vaesen is on our to-play, too, as I Kickstarted it.

Valyar
November 13th, 2020, 23:33
Kudos for Alien RPG rule set. I've been looking forward to running the Alien RPG for months, but was reluctant because of the more complicated mechanics compared to Tales/Things that weren't previously supported in FG. It was a pleasant surprise to see it show up last month. Really helped me out a lot when I ran a two-session Hadley's Hope for Halloween, especially with the Panic mechanic and Death Rolls so tightly integrated. It was very slick and let me focus setting up great scenes. My players loved playing the game. Their characters all got gorphed, but I'm still getting texts about how awesome the sessions were. Also introduced two people to the movies, as they watched the first two films to get caught up on the references and tone. I greatly appreciate the effort to get that rule set, FG theme, and character sheets done!

Another vote for TFTL/TFLF rule set! I ran a Tales campaign for about a year using MoreCore and Coriolis dice entered by hand into character sheets. It worked, but I would love to see a dedicated ruleset for Tales with a good FG Theme and designed character sheet to match the art from the books. We're spinning up a Things from the Flood campaign currently. Vaesen is on our to-play, too, as I Kickstarted it.

Thank you for the kind words! We are very happy that ruleset managed to improve the online sessions this way and contribute to the overall experience from this fantastic game! More to come for sure :)

lostsanityreturned
November 27th, 2020, 16:51
gutted the forbidden lands ruleset isn't already out, I will be forced to run it in foundry at this rate. And foundry is just not built for that style of rpg sadly.

Oh well, instant purchase for when it is released at least.

Valyar
November 27th, 2020, 17:51
Peer pressure is accepted! Good news is that we are wrapping up the current work and move to the next one during the holidays (at least I will do, not much to do during this pandemic with the total lockdown in Europe).

Lord Skrolk
December 15th, 2020, 04:18
Any Chance Alien RPG will get its own Bundle?

Valyar
December 21st, 2020, 19:37
Any Chance Alien RPG will get its own Bundle?
I don’t know how those things work, I will ask :)

gbhenderson
December 21st, 2020, 19:49
Are there any plans to release the Colonial Marines Operations Manual when it comes out?

Valyar
December 21st, 2020, 19:58
Are there any plans to release the Colonial Marines Operations Manual when it comes out?
Yes, the module will be prepared ahead of the official release so the launch is more or less around the same time.

gbhenderson
December 21st, 2020, 20:09
Yes, the module will be prepared ahead of the official release so the launch is more or less around the same time.

Great news! Thanks Valyar!

Lord Skrolk
December 21st, 2020, 21:45

Now make that bundle happen!! ;-)

gbhenderson
April 4th, 2021, 19:57

Bought Vaesen, really hoping Coriolis is coming up soon. Been looking forward to that one for a hot minute.

Booker Grimm
April 28th, 2021, 09:44
No updates for a long time. Is this ruleset dead?

vegaserik
April 28th, 2021, 09:51
No, why would you think that? There's been no updates cause nothing new has come out from Free League. What are you looking for?

Saeval
April 28th, 2021, 09:55
I’m eagerly awaiting my preorder pdf of Colonial Marine Operations Guide but that’s on Free League, not here. I think for the most part this ruleset works well and has everything you would need to run your games. Anything more would just be some tweaks here and there for ease of use. The main thing I would like to see worked on is how the big creatures run their automated tables of attacks but those are rare creatures to use so I’m fine with manually doing that for now.

Valyar
April 28th, 2021, 13:23
No updates for a long time. Is this ruleset dead?

Hello Booker Grimm. The ruleset is not dead, we work on Alien 2.0 that will bring several features and enhancements as mentioned in the other thread, but there has been setback due to real life problems. We are now slowly up to speed. In the meantime we released module for the ruleset with tokens, so there are updates ;)

Half of the work for 2.0 is already done. Aside from that - there is no other content that we can bring - we wait for the Colonial Marines ;)

Booker Grimm
April 28th, 2021, 14:12
Thanks for letting me know. I look forward to 2.0! :)

Laerun
November 10th, 2021, 04:10
Will we get the FLP Alien Starter set this year?