PDA

View Full Version : Players opening modules that the GM doesn't own.

rob2e
October 14th, 2020, 03:54
I swear there used to be a thing where if the GM didn't own a module a player did own, the player could open it in their library and the GM would get a notification telling them to approve that. Now it seems like players cannot open any module that the GM doesn't also own?

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2020, 04:07
I don’t think you get a notification anymore, but players can use their own modules with DM approval. They should appear in module activation. Now there was a bug in Unity which was preventing the modules showing up in the DM screen but I think that was fixed.

But maybe not if you aren’t seeing modules the player owns and you don’t. Mind you is there a module out there that you don’t own? :D

rob2e
October 14th, 2020, 07:18
I don’t think you get a notification anymore, but players can use their own modules with DM approval. They should appear in module activation. Now there was a bug in Unity which was preventing the modules showing up in the DM screen but I think that was fixed.

But maybe not if you aren’t seeing modules the player owns and you don’t. Mind you is there a module out there that you don’t own? :D

We tested it today in FG Classic. It did not work. A player was not able to even SEE his own module on a table where the DM did not own that module. That's a thing that seems like it needs fixing. It hasn't come up for quite a while but it did today.

And no I don't own everthing, just all the 5E stuff. lol ...and a bit more. (But as the somewhat red-headed stepchild of FG, I don't rate a developer account like SOME PEOPLE!!!)

Granamere
October 14th, 2020, 14:57
What was the ruleset being used and what was the module? Did the player have a license or was it a demo version? If it was demo that would be the problem.

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2020, 16:20
So are you only seeing this in Classic or are you seeing it in Unity as well? I can't remember seeing this issue come up for Classic - only Unity. Also (and I know you haven't done this given your propensity for extensions) have you tested in a new campaign without extensions?

rob2e
October 14th, 2020, 20:36
What was the ruleset being used and what was the module? Did the player have a license or was it a demo version? If it was demo that would be the problem.

It was the 5E ruleset and the player was trying to open the Dragon Lord Class (a DMs Guild thing) for his previously created character when leveling up, but the DM did not own that module. It SHOULD be where the player can open the module, but his library only showed modules owned by the DM, he didn't even have the chance to view all the other ones he owned on his hard drive.

rob2e
October 14th, 2020, 20:39
So are you only seeing this in Classic or are you seeing it in Unity as well? I can't remember seeing this issue come up for Classic - only Unity. Also (and I know you haven't done this given your propensity for extensions) have you tested in a new campaign without extensions?

Just classic. In order to TEST THIS I would need to connect with someone it's not something I can test on my own because it would be me connecting to myself and therefore all the mods would be there.

Kelrugem
October 14th, 2020, 20:40
It was the 5E ruleset and the player was trying to open the Dragon Lord Class (a DMs Guild thing) for his previously created character when leveling up, but the DM did not own that module. It SHOULD be where the player can open the module, but his library only showed modules owned by the DM, he didn't even have the chance to view all the other ones he owned on his hard drive.

Zacchaeus already mentioned it, but the GM needs to allow to load the module in the library, there will be no automatic pop-up as you mentioned in the first post :) (at least it read like that) The GM opens the module list and will see the player's modules, then allow to load it such that the player can see it :)

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2020, 21:47
But it should show up in the players list, so that they can request access to it.

Kelrugem
October 14th, 2020, 21:57
But it should show up in the players list, so that they can request access to it.

Ah oki, thanks :) I am too rarely a player seemingly :D

EDIT: By Trenloe's test it seems that I was right in that point :)

Trenloe
October 14th, 2020, 21:59
As eluded to by some above - in FG Classic (that's all I've tested in) with modules that the player has installed, but the GM hasn't, that are tagged as player modules (client.xml in the module file, not db.xml) for the ruleset the campaign is using will be displayed on the GM side once the player fully connects to the GM's campaign. They will be shown on the GMs side in the Module Activation screen with a web graphic. The player does not get an option to request access - they won't see their modules at all unless the GM specifically gives them access - see the steps below.

Below is a composite image put together at various steps on the GM and Player side. This is using a Pathfinder community player module - Farnaby's Spellbook (available in the Pathfinder community modules). This module is installed on the player side only and is a player module (the data is contained in a client.xml file within the module).

This is the GM view before the player joins the campaign - there is no module available
GM view - after the player joins the campaign and the module data has a chance to sync, the GM sees a "web" based module appear in their module activation screen. The GM has not allowed access to this module yet.
Player view - at this point the player has fully joined the campaign and synced to the GM side. But, the GM has not given access to this module, so the player can't see it - even though it's installed on the player side.
Player view - after the GM gives access to the module (changes the red X to a green tick/check), the module appears on the player side and they can open it.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40230

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2020, 22:14
Excellent details Trenloe!

So the first thing is the module has to be marked as a player module (option when exporting). Second is that the player doesn't see the module until the GM marks it for approval.

I'm curious, did the second behavior change? I thought it used to show on the player view and they could request it.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2020, 22:19
I'm curious, did the second behavior change? I thought it used to show on the player view and they could request it.
Yes. Not sure when though.