PDA

View Full Version : New computer

Brucewayneis007
October 13th, 2020, 07:28
Hi I am running FGU v4.0.0 Ultimate (2020-10-08) and so are all the players. I setup a new computer and no one can connect. I have one other player on same internet internal and they can connect to new computer. If I open same version on old computer everyone externally can connect to that one. I would like to use new computer to game but can't get players connected. We are not on right now but will be playing on Friday. I am just looking to see if I am doing something wrong or have any advice on this.

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2020, 11:12
Are you using Cloud or LAN? If using LAN have you tried connecting via the Cloud? If LAN have you updated your Port Forward rule to point to your new computer? Have you whitelisted FG in your Antivirus?

Brucewayneis007
October 13th, 2020, 18:56
Are you using Cloud or LAN? If using LAN have you tried connecting via the Cloud? If LAN have you updated your Port Forward rule to point to your new computer? Have you whitelisted FG in your Antivirus?

Using LAN. I am not using Steam if that makes a difference. I haven't updated my Port Forward rule to point to new computer. This is probably the case but don't know enough about this to have done it :-) Is this complicated process? Can you let me know how to do this? Thanks for your help.

Nylanfs
October 13th, 2020, 19:07
Port Forward acts like a forwarding mail address at the post office, you can only have one at a time. This link will step you through it, just find your router. (https://portforward.com)

LordEntrails
October 13th, 2020, 20:40
Using LAN. I am not using Steam if that makes a difference. I haven't updated my Port Forward rule to point to new computer. This is probably the case but don't know enough about this to have done it :-) Is this complicated process? Can you let me know how to do this? Thanks for your help.
If you did not port forward on your old computer, might not need to with your new computer. BUT, as Nylafs said, your router can only port forward to one address. So, if it did it automatically (which many routers do) then it may not release or switch to your new computer when needed. Make sure neither computer is running FG, reboot your router, start FG on your new computer and launch your campaign and see if it works now.

Granamere
October 13th, 2020, 20:59
How have your players been connecting to you? Did you give them your IP or did they find you in a list of names to connect? Are your players on the same network as you or connecting to you from all of their houses? If you are all on the same network (AKA in the same house / dorm) then there would not be a firewall between you. If they are on the same network and are clicking on the same link to connect into they would only be pointed at your old pc.

IP address are like phone numbers. Each computer has to have a different one in order for other computers to connect to it.

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2020, 21:23
Or connect using the Cloud and you don't have to worry about port forwarding at all.

Brucewayneis007
October 14th, 2020, 02:59
One is on the same internet in house and the others are outside external at their own house. I set up LAN and give them the external IP.

I currently rebooted router. Got into port forwarding on router and removed an old forward to old computer. I then tried to put in my IP4 and it asked me for start port and not sure where to put this.

It has LAN starting port (optional) which I put 1802 ... wrong?

Protocal TCP

Wan starting port left blank

Wan ending port left blank

source ip state all ip addresses

When I click apply it says starting port is invalid ... not sure if the 1802 is correct and should be something else or should I put in Wan start and end?

Granamere
October 14th, 2020, 04:02
I would try WAN starting point 1802 and leave the LAN blank.

WAN is the outside internet facing side. LAN will be the internal side. If you wanted to do port translation then you would have something on the LAN side.

Granamere
October 14th, 2020, 04:10
For more information.

Your IP gets the out computer a way to connect to you. If you picked port 80 that would typically be use for http web traffic and would be great if you were running a web server. If you were running a email server you would want to have port 25 forwarded to you.

Fantasy grounds by default uses 1802. So when you friend that is remote tries to connect he will put in your router IP address and use the default port 1802. When that IP traffic gets to your router you have told the router if someone want to connect on port 1802 then send that IP traffic to your new server on the inside.

As others have suggested you might want to try using the cloud service. It might make this easier for you in the future.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2020, 08:19
It has LAN starting port (optional) which I put 1802 ... wrong?

Protocal TCP

Wan starting port left blank

Wan ending port left blank

source ip state all ip addresses

When I click apply it says starting port is invalid ... not sure if the 1802 is correct and should be something else or should I put in Wan start and end?

Use 1802 for both LAN and WAN starting and ending ports. Use UDP protocol for FGU.