PDA

View Full Version : Token size on diamond grid

Croddwyn
October 11th, 2020, 17:46
Running RotRL, my players have finally hit the Runeforge. The thing is, these maps have messed-up ordinal directions so, for example, north will be diagonal sloping right and down. Since that can make the text descriptions that mention directions awkward, I went and rotated my maps accordingly. For those maps oriented on a slope, I've come to really appreciate the diamond grid pattern as that lets me match the map's original floor pattern pretty well and still have north be up.

Unfortunately, I've found that initial token size is somewhat large when you use this diamond grid. I suspect that token size is being calculated based on top/bottom and left/right rather than based on the square size. So the token ends up being somewhat bigger than its containing box would/should be. An example:

You can see that each stone giant is sized so the token fits between the corners of the squares in this image. So it is outside of the square's bounding "box".

Here's how it should look (I've manually resized them):

See the difference? My diagnosis above is just a guess, but it seems accurate. I'm not sure if you can use the grid configuration instead, or if you could adjust by the hypotenuse of the triangles that make up the square, but it'd be nice if you could fix the sizing because those manual adjustments get killer when you have lots of bad guys.

Thanks,
Jacob

LordEntrails
October 11th, 2020, 23:28
I think the diamond/isogrid is designed for isometric tokens, not round tokens. isometric tokens are taller than wide, so they fit into the isogrid correctly.

i.e. I think you are using the isogrid in a unintended manner :)

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2020, 23:43
ISO and tokens is something that will probably evolve over time. We don't really offer any ISO style tokens; nor a mechanism to differentiate between the two token types (which is needed to correctly size tokens on ISO grids).

I believe the issue is as the original poster suggested, and the ISO "diagonal" width is being used for sizing. I should be able to update the ruleset code to adapt for ISO, given all our tokens are top down or portraits right now.

Regards,

Croddwyn
October 12th, 2020, 00:21
ISO and tokens is something that will probably evolve over time. We don't really offer any ISO style tokens; nor a mechanism to differentiate between the two token types (which is needed to correctly size tokens on ISO grids).

I believe the issue is as the original poster suggested, and the ISO "diagonal" width is being used for sizing. I should be able to update the ruleset code to adapt for ISO, given all our tokens are top down or portraits right now.

Thanks for the reply, Moon. I haven't seen any other attempts to do 3D(ish) on maps as yet (like isometric layouts) so a non-top-down display didn't even occur to me.

Thanks,
Jacob