PDA

View Full Version : Making Players able to see information

wolfmansmind78
October 9th, 2020, 05:19
I am new to Fantasy Grounds Unity. I am a teacher and I wanted to create a club around DnD and this program seemed to be an easy tool to get students engaged in the game during covid 19. My question is, is there a way to select more then one item to be released to players so they can gain them, or do I have to release each item individually. I have already loaded the modules with the items, but it seems in order for them to even choose a class they must be released to the students individually including standard gear like a rope. Is there a simpler way to do this without having to right click each item I want released?

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2020, 05:41
Most 'player facing content' is in modules that the players can load. Such as in 5E D&D their is the Basic Rules, SRD Players, and Players Handbook that are all player facing (note, you only want to allow one of those!). Modules that have player facing options also have a player module. Those entire modules can be loaded by the players and everything in them will be shared with the player that loads it.

We can give you more info if needed :)

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2020, 12:21
Select the phb in the module list as shared and then the players can open it.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2020, 12:24
Welcome to the forums @wolfmansmind78!

As mentioned above - there are some library modules that are meant to be opened by the players. The GM decides which ones the players have access to ("availability") and the players need to open these after they join your campaign.

Information in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950555/Using+the+Library+and+Activating+Modules

Granamere
October 9th, 2020, 13:11
Welcome!

Also you can go in and share a bunch of images/Maps ahead of time if you do not want to share the whole module. When they connect in they can click on the Maps shield and see what Images/Maps have already been shared.

wolfmansmind78
October 9th, 2020, 15:57
Thank you everyone. If I am getting the gist right, as I have not played it as a player, the players must also load the module of the PHB as well that I have shared with them. Is that what it is I have to do?

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2020, 16:02
Yes, the players need to load the modules that you have shared (most player facing modules are shared by default - so you don't need to do anything). You don't need to also have those modules loaded.

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2020, 17:02
Do a test so you know how to help them, load the demo. Connect to yourself with a second instance on the same machine using localhost (this is what the players will see). Then mark things as shared and see how the player client works.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2020, 17:24
So that we get FG terminology right... Library modules are not "shared" with players. The GM decides if the player has access to modules using the availability settings - by default all modules tagged as player modules are available, so the GM will probably want to remove the availability of some modules. Once the players join the GMs campaign they need to go to the Library -> Modules window and open just the modules they are going to use - don't open every single one. So, in terms of FG terminology, this is the GM making only a certain list of modules available to the players, and then the players loading/activating some modules.

"Sharing" something in FG is when the GM gives the players (or a subset of the players) access to one or more record (image, item, spell, story, etc., etc.) by sharing that record with them. This is usually something that the players discover or gain access to as the campaign progresses, or something the GM needs to share to show the players something or a map for an encounter.

These two areas (module availability and loading/activating modules) and the GM sharing individual records, are the two mains ways that a GM can give the players access to data they have in their campaign and the library modules they own.

Granamere
October 10th, 2020, 02:24
You might also want to take a free class.

https://fantasygroundscollege.net/events/calendar/

If you do a Character creation class or New users into class you can see it in action and get to see how this all works while having a expert walk you through it. :) Also please feel free to ask any questions here. As you can see everyone wants to help out. I just find seeing and walking through it I learn faster.