PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Morning Game?

Hendra
October 8th, 2020, 18:25
Hey everyone!..

I have been playing on FG now for 2 or 3 years and I have regular games on Friday nights and I am having a blast!!.. I was an 1st edition player back in the day and like a lot of people these days came back after 20 plus years!.. I have been wanting to get more game time in during the weekends as I am think I want to try to DM some but I want to get more familiar with the game. Maybe get my 17 year old son to play! Right now.. not so much lol..

I will play any version but 5e is what I bought Icespire Peak to run my son through someday..

Im on military vet, 44 years old, 6 years Army, 2 tours in Bosnia.. Looking for similar minded, easy going but serious/fun game play DM and players, for Sat or Sunday morning runs.. I'm fine with one on one if you are.. part of the goal is to understand the DMs roll in real time..

Thanks in advance for any interest!
David

Klondikejimbo
October 11th, 2020, 14:12
I would be interested. 23 years in the Coast Guard now retired. Looking for a few people for evenings and most weekends.

thehorrors
October 11th, 2020, 15:51
Hello 48 year old army vet 19D i would be down for an early game on the weekends im EST not sure if that works. keep me posted cheers

thehorrors
October 11th, 2020, 16:02
lol just realized that we are both in JohnD's Friday c&c group

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2020, 16:10
I'm currently DM'ing a Saturday evening game and would like to get in as a player one of these days so if you decide to start DM'ing let me know. Got started with D&D back around 78-79, then ran a D&D, Rolemaster, Runequest and HarnMaster homebrew till about 94 when I stopped playing after I ETS'd (13 years RA ->19E/K, 3 years TNARNG ->19D). Took long break of about 15-16 years at least (until whenever it was that 5e came out).

How early in the AM are you thinking of starting?

Klondikejimbo
October 11th, 2020, 16:28
No skills as A DM but I can do any time. Tend to have insomnia so likely up most hours. J.O.B. only limiting factor, 6 to 3 mon through Friday. Outside that, all open. May need a crash course. , not used Unity. Not video gamed even to be honest in a number of years, so sure behind the times in team chat tools, but tech doesn't scare me.

Hendra
October 11th, 2020, 22:27
Ha!.. wuz up!.. So the deal is im considering DMIng some but want more experience.. and I dont want to mess up our games on Friday.. I bought the icespire peak box set to see if my son may want to play.. BUT I didn't know it was on FG already..

Maybe I can try to run you some through it.. its a lil intimidating as I don't really know if I have any skills as a story teller.. So i don't want to buy players out.. But if I have an easy group I think it would be fun...

Hendra
October 11th, 2020, 22:32
I'm currently DM'ing a Saturday evening game and would like to get in as a player one of these days so if you decide to start DM'ing let me know. Got started with D&D back around 78-79, then ran a D&D, Rolemaster, Runequest and HarnMaster homebrew till about 94 when I stopped playing after I ETS'd (13 years RA ->19E/K, 3 years TNARNG ->19D). Took long break of about 15-16 years at least (until whenever it was that 5e came out).

Well maybe so.. if you are easy going on a rookie DM and don't mind running a box set icespire peak.. im still boning up a bit on the 5e rules. I have all the hard cover stuff but I know i will have to buy it again for FG. If I'm any good I do have some ideas on a home brew.

Hendra
October 11th, 2020, 22:33
No skills as A DM but I can do any time. Tend to have insomnia so likely up most hours. J.O.B. only limiting factor, 6 to 3 mon through Friday. Outside that, all open. May need a crash course. , not used Unity. Not video gamed even to be honest in a number of years, so sure behind the times in team chat tools, but tech doesn't scare me.

Start watching vids on 5e fantasy grounds... when its time I'm sure there will be room..

Hendra
October 11th, 2020, 22:35

Well 8am, 9, 10 CST but flexible...

thehorrors
October 11th, 2020, 23:01
no worries man all we can do is try. if your digging it we keep trucking!

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2020, 01:05
Well maybe so.. if you are easy going on a rookie DM and don't mind running a box set icespire peak.. im still boning up a bit on the 5e rules. I have all the hard cover stuff but I know i will have to buy it again for FG. If I'm any good I do have some ideas on a home brew.

Not asking you to commit yourself to anything but if you have the FG license you should have the 5e SRD stuff. It's limiting for sure but I ran a campaign for almost 2 years with jut that content before I bought the PHB, MM and DMG. I manually built in stuff as we went along.

Being there's a few Vets posting here I'd offer to run something but I usually only do homebrew, which is a lot of up front work, and remembering stuff. The weekly game I run now it taking up a bunch of time, that and to be honest I'm getting a little burnt out on 5e from the DM side of the table. Figured I'd see it from the player side for a changeup.

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 01:26
Not asking you to commit yourself to anything but if you have the FG license you should have the 5e SRD stuff. It's limiting for sure but I ran a campaign for almost 2 years with jut that content before I bought the PHB, MM and DMG. I manually built in stuff as we went along.

Being there's a few Vets posting here I'd offer to run something but I usually only do homebrew, which is a lot of up front work, and remembering stuff. The weekly game I run now it taking up a bunch of time, that and to be honest I'm getting a little burnt out on 5e from the DM side of the table. Figured I'd see it from the player side for a changeup.

I don't own the FG license yet.. my original intention was to run it for my wife and son at the michen table.. They have never played. However it makes sense to run it on FG though.. Work out some kinks in DM understanding etc.. before I run them through..

Would certainly appreciate your experience as a player DM but you will know more than me of course... lol

Holding the book in hands does bring back memories though.. im reading it some right now.

cwhttiger
October 12th, 2020, 01:27
Not a vet but would love to play a 5e game on here if there is room. Sat works great for me. I have been playing DnD since the 90's. Have run a few games. I have no issues with a new DM. Let me know if there is space and when you expect to start.

Dragonid
October 12th, 2020, 01:30
If you put together a Saturday morning game I'd love to be part of it. I'm used to waking up early to get to work at 4am, so early is no problem here.

I've played lots of D&D in the past but haven't put my 5e books to use yet, and have a little experience with FGU.

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 01:33
no worries man all we can do is try. if your digging it we keep trucking!

Thats right!.. lol

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2020, 01:37
I don't own the FG license yet..

Ahh ok, my bad, thought you made the plunge digitally.

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 02:02
Not a vet but would love to play a 5e game on here if there is room. Sat works great for me. I have been playing DnD since the 90's. Have run a few games. I have no issues with a new DM. Let me know if there is space and when you expect to start.

Vet or not all good.. as long as no wangrods and easy-going..
Not sure just yet on when yet.. I wanted to read up a little on the rules more..

Your familair with FG and 5e?

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 02:04
If you put together a Saturday morning game I'd love to be part of it. I'm used to waking up early to get to work at 4am, so early is no problem here.

I've played lots of D&D in the past but haven't put my 5e books to use yet, and have a little experience with FGU.

sounds good.. Not sure how many playing or any of that yet but its good to know your an early guy like me!

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 02:08
Ahh ok, my bad, thought you made the plunge digitally.

I will probably get it this week... depending on how things go this week will determine if start this weekend or next... Not realnsure how long of a commitment it is but I think it will get you to level 5 or 6 which is probably a few months im thinking.. maybe longer since in a nub..

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2020, 02:19
I could probably run something short, not lasting more than a few weeks, so it would need to have an estimated end date. This is because I'm wanting to start up a Savage Worlds game by the end of the year but I'm still learning that system. That and I still have my regular 5e campaign going.

I have FGC, not FGU, ultimate license so people would only need the demo to play. Don't think I have time to work up a homebrew adventure so might look up a pre-created one and see what' out there that might work.

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 02:34
I could probably run something short, not lasting more than a few weeks, so it would need to have an estimated end date. This is because I'm wanting to start up a Savage Worlds game by the end of the year but I'm still learning that system. That and I still have my regular 5e campaign going.

I have FGC, not FGU, ultimate license so people would only need the demo to play. Don't think I have time to work up a homebrew adventure so might look up a pre-created one and see what' out there that might work.

Sorry got me confused bud, I thought you wanted to be a player not a DM? Meaning me run Icespire Peak..

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2020, 02:46
No worries, thought you were leaning towards playing a few sessions of 5e for familiarization before you running Icespire Peak.

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 02:56
Oh I see.. yes your right but as a DM though.. and was welcoming you to play as a player/DM to this game cause you mentioned wanting to be on the player side..

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2020, 03:05
Oh I see.. yes your right but as a DM though.. and was welcoming you to play as a player/DM to this game cause you mentioned wanting to be on the player side..

Understood now. I'm good with that too. :rv:

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 03:13
Understood now. I'm good with that too. :rv:

Whats your estimate on completion time for 4 -5 player of icespire peak?

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2020, 03:27
Whats your estimate on completion time for 4 -5 player of icespire peak?

No idea, I've not played nor have any of the 5e published content. I'm guessing you could just play sections of it as I think they are broken down into mini-adventure/chapters?? But could be wrong.

cwhttiger
October 12th, 2020, 03:36
I am familair with FGU and 5e. I have a table top 5e game on every other tue right now. doing curse of strahd. I am playing a warlock fiend pack LE with dms ok. Its fun I have two of the 5 other players with contracts to give their souls to my patron if they die. the other three dont seem to trust me thought. i wonder why. lol...

Hendra
October 12th, 2020, 15:15
I think soon I will pick up the FGU and we can try that out.. I will get the one where demos can connect.. I think I want to try and keep it to 4 or less players as I think that will be plenty for my first time..

czman
October 12th, 2020, 19:48
Has the date/time and player count be established? Might be nice to get an update of the OP for what is still needed/wanted.

Hendra
October 13th, 2020, 00:19
Has the date/time and player count be established? Might be nice to get an update of the OP for what is still needed/wanted.

No, not yet gonna be a bit as I get organized.. work week has started and so im on the grind for the moment.. Al I know so far is I think 2 or 3 is a comfortable number for my first go at this.. and it will be in the morning of either Sat or Sunday.. Till we finish..

probably 4 hour sessions unless we feel more can be done.. but will be for at least a month I would guess.. So with a small group consistent attendance is imperative..

stevebmbsqd
October 13th, 2020, 01:11
I would be game. I am a retired Army EOD tech. My wife might also want to play. Let me know if you get time and stuff ironed out and are still looking for players. Also, I have a son who is sixteen years old and loves playing and DMing. He is currently playing a lengthy campaign with some of his friends. Also, if you are ever interested in joining a Call of Cthulhu game, I run one on a regular basis.

Hendra
October 13th, 2020, 15:25
I would be game. I am a retired Army EOD tech. My wife might also want to play. Let me know if you get time and stuff ironed out and are still looking for players. Also, I have a son who is sixteen years old and loves playing and DMing. He is currently playing a lengthy campaign with some of his friends. Also, if you are ever interested in joining a Call of Cthulhu game, I run one on a regular basis.

Hey Steve,

Thats great man! I hope to get my son into this but so far not so much.. He is in ROTC for Navy and they have the macho thing were its not so cool.. lol.. but he did come to me and say he and a friend wouldnt mind playing.. when I probed a bit deeper its cause his friend mentioned how cool it was.. lol.. Dont matter what dad say.. haha..

My main focus was to find those willing to pay in the morning time cause my nights are pretty busy with family stuff but I'm the only one up in the mornings.. I knew other former military guys may appreciate that too..

So your are a DM also?

czman
October 13th, 2020, 17:14
I am willing to play in the morning, but I would like to have an idea what timezone we are talking about. Maybe a little more idea about you time you want to run this would help.

stevebmbsqd
October 13th, 2020, 17:54
Hey Steve,

Thats great man! I hope to get my son into this but so far not so much.. He is in ROTC for Navy and they have the macho thing were its not so cool.. lol.. but he did come to me and say he and a friend wouldnt mind playing.. when I probed a bit deeper its cause his friend mentioned how cool it was.. lol.. Dont matter what dad say.. haha..

My main focus was to find those willing to pay in the morning time cause my nights are pretty busy with family stuff but I'm the only one up in the mornings.. I knew other former military guys may appreciate that too..

So your are a DM also?

Yeah, I DM. I mostly play Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green now, but occasionally some D&D. I am up for playing in the morning too.

Hendra
October 13th, 2020, 18:11
I am willing to play in the morning, but I would like to have an idea what timezone we are talking about. Maybe a little more idea about you time you want to run this would help.

ahh good point.. CST is my time zone.. All details will be laid out as much as possible once I figure it out my self..

Basics of what (I think) I know right now lol..

Looking for people that are good with a consistent time commitment.

New DM (first time ever)
Newer Player to 5E (I have not played a 5E game yet either)
CST - Start times can be anywhere from 5AM - 9AM at the latest
not sure if this will be sessions or maybe a few one shots..
Weekly or every other week
Probably a pretty slow and possibly clunky pace at times in the beginning as I gain understanding of DM
I roll play light but welcome all styles
Who ever ends up playing plan to create a modest background (if we do sessions)
There may be some accidental killings but we will figure out a way to get your new character back in if you want to continue (if we do sessions)

I do want everyone to have fun but this is as much a training mission for me as anyone else who is new!

czman
October 13th, 2020, 18:25
I am also in CT, but would rather start closer at 7-8AM. 5AM is a bit too early for me. Not super interested in earlier than that. Just a reminder though that 5AM is 4MT and 3PT. So if you start that early you may end up with a group in the Europe or East coast.

Hendra
October 13th, 2020, 18:29
I am also in CT, but would rather start closer at 7-8AM. 5AM is a bit too early for me. Not super interested in earlier than that. Just a reminder though that 5AM is 4MT and 3PT. So if you start that early you may end up with a group in the Europe or East coast.

Sure that make sense.. thats more likely what will happen.. I gave a range to help with as many time zones as possible..

czman
October 13th, 2020, 18:37
I am interested and dependable, if I say I will be there I will be there. If you hash all of this out and still need a player let me know. You can message me in game. I have used FGU 2twice as a player. I am familiar all D&D from the very early days through 5e.

David the DM
October 13th, 2020, 21:56
Hey everyone this is my new DM profile.. I didnt want to use the same profile for Unity..

In this group who has FG Unity standard lic or who is willing to get it to play? 39.00 for the year..

Klondikejimbo
October 13th, 2020, 23:26
I can guarantee avail. Can get Unity license too friday, payday. Central time here but it doesn't matter as I have insomnia. I am a newbie though, just a warning, to Unity, and not tabled in years.

David the DM
October 14th, 2020, 01:52
I can guarantee avail. Can get Unity license too friday, payday. Central time here but it doesn't matter as I have insomnia. I am a newbie though, just a warning, to Unity, and not tabled in years.

All good on being new as long as the commitment to time in learning it is present..

Buying FGU displays commitment.. 175 bucks alone for FGU Ultimate which I am not even sure I will like being a DM is a bit steep.. not to mention the books which I am pretty sure (maybe someone can confirm?) I need to get the PHB and DMG and probably even the MM.. Then the adventure its well over 300.00

I THINK, I will enjoy DMing but.. I could really suck!..

David the DM
October 14th, 2020, 15:07
Okay so its not over 300, so I was wrong about that... but its still up there.. Small price to pay though when I thought about my son and wife playing too so I will get the ultimate account here soon and anyone who has a free demo account can connect..

More details as soon as I get them after that..

David the DM
October 14th, 2020, 15:17
So because this is an investment of not only money which frankly is not the most important thing.. Its time.. time with friends and like minded individuals.. adventures as it were!!

Games runs best when there is some understanding of game play. Would be super helpful to have these questions answered please! Share either as a post or PM either is fine...

The players’ roles are…

a) …to follow the GM’s lead to fit the story
b) …to set goals for their characters, and pursue them proactively
c) …to fling their characters into tough situations and make hard, sometimes, unwise choices

Doing the smartest thing for your character’s survival…

a) …is what a good player does.
b) …sometimes isn’t as important as other choices
c) …isn’t even a concern or focus for this game.

The GM’s role to the rules is…

a) …follow them, come what may. (including following house rules)
b) …ignore them when they conflict with what would be good for the story
c) …ignore them when they conflict with what “should” happen, based either on realism, the setting, or the genre

After many sessions of play, during one session, a player decides to have her character side with an enemy. This is…

a) …something that shouldn’t even happen. This is someone being a jerk.
b) …where the character becomes an NPC, right away or fairly soon.
c) …something the player and the GM should have set up ahead of time.
d) …only going to last until the other player characters find out and do something about it.
e) …a meaningful moment, powerful and an example of excellent play.

A fistfight breaks out in a bar! The details of where everything is – tables, chairs, where everyone is standing is something that…

a) …is important and will be displayed on a map or grid, perhaps using miniature figures.
b) …is something the GM will describe and you should ask questions to get more information.
c) …you can decide on the spot using specific game rules (rolling dice, spending points, whatever)
d) …isn’t really that important other than it makes for an interesting scene- pretty much anyone can come up with details.

In order to really have fun with this game, the rulebook is something that…

a) …everyone playing needs to have read and understood before play, because the rules and setting are both very important.
b) …everyone should know the rules very well.
c) …everyone should know the setting very well.
d) …everyone at least should know the basics of the rules.
e) …everyone at least should know the genre the game pulls from
f) …Only one person needs to really know the rules and it can be explained in 10 minutes or less to everyone else.

This game runs best when the players take time to create characters that are…

a) …built to face challenges using the mechanics and stats.
b) …written with extensive backstories or histories
c) …given strong motivations and an immediate problem or crisis
d) …tied into the other characters as (allies) (enemies) (as either)
e) …written with some knowledge, research or reading up on the game setting, real history or an actual culture

Thank you in advance!

David the DM
October 15th, 2020, 00:01
Update I have purchased the all the necessary info.. but for some reason the Icespire Peak is not loading as adventure to run in FGU. I have updated the content many times but just the example mission is in there..

I reached out to FG support but have not heard back yet..

David the DM
October 15th, 2020, 15:01
So I just got first look of the DM side of FG, lots of stuff to figure out..

So was wondering if another experienced DM help the rookie pick some best settings etc.. quick tips, do's and don'ts etc.. ?

czman
October 16th, 2020, 01:37
I have only used the tool as a player. I am not sure how different it is as a DM.

GunnarGreybeard
October 16th, 2020, 14:18
Update I have purchased the all the necessary info.. but for some reason the Icespire Peak is not loading as adventure to run in FGU. I have updated the content many times but just the example mission is in there..

I reached out to FG support but have not heard back yet..

Pretty sure the content you purchase is linked through the FG store and your username. Did you use the same one?

GunnarGreybeard
October 16th, 2020, 14:22
So I just got first look of the DM side of FG, lots of stuff to figure out..

So was wondering if another experienced DM help the rookie pick some best settings etc.. quick tips, do's and don'ts etc.. ?

I usually go with the default settings for most things. Are you asking about the Settings themselves or things like locking tokens on maps, etc (not sure FGU and FGC support thee same options, as I've only ever used FGC).

David the DM
October 16th, 2020, 15:21
I have only used the tool as a player. I am not sure how different it is as a DM.

Hey dude, not sure if you have already but.. check this out cause this is exactly what you will be doing in FGU..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFnTBCrRkU

Have you a character in mind I presume?... Start looking up the stats.. I have the PHB and al the stuff you need once we are in game and making it so dont worry about that.. The process will be more fun and fluid if you have some understanding already..

DtDM

David the DM
October 16th, 2020, 15:28
Pretty sure the content you purchase is linked through the FG store and your username. Did you use the same one?

yeah see I'm not only new to 5e, but also the FG DM side but I did find it and have been going through some of it.. I am watching some vids on FGU, so we will all have fun learning out to work the cool LOS (line of sight) feature.. One thing I am sousing out is the fact when the DM shares the map I think it shows some stuff that its not supposed to like traps and secret doors.. lol hint hint.. so far the prevailing method to mitigate this is to photoshop it.. BUT I knew that FGU has some map making functionality so I wasn't sure if there was something to be done there..

though I think just doing some minor edits in photoshop is going to be the best way..

Part of my apprehension is that I dont know the 5e rules all that well so thats why having someone other stronger DMs to help carry me! lol..

czman
October 16th, 2020, 17:18
Hey dude, not sure if you have already but.. check this out cause this is exactly what you will be doing in FGU..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFnTBCrRkU

Have you a character in mind I presume?... Start looking up the stats.. I have the PHB and al the stuff you need once we are in game and making it so dont worry about that.. The process will be more fun and fluid if you have some understanding already..

DtDM

I have made a few charecters so I feel that part is pretty easy. I should be good, once you get a group and we know what/when we are playing. Also I am not picky about what I play. I am willing to fill out the group if other people who are playing want to select their classes first.

GunnarGreybeard
October 16th, 2020, 18:31
Part of my apprehension is that I dont know the 5e rules all that well so thats why having someone other stronger DMs to help carry me! lol..

I only played D&D up till AD&D (1e), stopping at about 1984 but eventually came back when 5e come out. To this day I still screw up 5e mechanics, mostly confusing them with the much older versions I was used to. What I found helps keep me on track is occasionally re-reading over a printed out hard copy of some of the free downloadable 5e DM screens out there on the internet. I have a set next to my PC for quick reference.

When all else fails and until you get your footing, go with how you remember the older version mechanics worked (think you said you last played 1e in the 1st post), and go from there.

czman
October 16th, 2020, 18:39
yeah see I'm not only new to 5e, but also the FG DM side but I did find it and have been going through some of it.. I am watching some vids on FGU, so we will all have fun learning out to work the cool LOS (line of sight) feature.. One thing I am sousing out is the fact when the DM sh

I know the mechanics well enough to DM 5e, but for the most part I try not to rules lawyer at all, I don't like when people do that to me.

GunnarGreybeard
October 16th, 2020, 20:57
yeah see I'm not only new to 5e, but also the FG DM side but I did find it and have been going through some of it.. I am watching some vids on FGU, so we will all have fun learning out to work the cool LOS (line of sight) feature.. One thing I am sousing out is the fact when the DM shares the map I think it shows some stuff that its not supposed to like traps and secret doors.. lol hint hint.. so far the prevailing method to mitigate this is to photoshop it.. BUT I knew that FGU has some map making functionality so I wasn't sure if there was something to be done there..

though I think just doing some minor edits in photoshop is going to be the best way..

Don't the published WOTC adventures include both Player (no numbering, hidden features, etc) and GM maps?

David the DM
October 17th, 2020, 00:50
I know the mechanics well enough to DM 5e, but for the most part I try not to rules lawyer at all, I don't like when people do that to me.

Oh are you a DM also? I know what you mean but you can certainly call me out.. I will need to the polishing..

David the DM
October 17th, 2020, 00:50
Don't the published WOTC adventures include both Player (no numbering, hidden features, etc) and GM maps?

Maybe so I have not had a chance to fully look through it all just yet..

David the DM
October 17th, 2020, 00:53
I only played D&D up till AD&D (1e), stopping at about 1984 but eventually came back when 5e come out. To this day I still screw up 5e mechanics, mostly confusing them with the much older versions I was used to. What I found helps keep me on track is occasionally re-reading over a printed out hard copy of some of the free downloadable 5e DM screens out there on the internet. I have a set next to my PC for quick reference.

When all else fails and until you get your footing, go with how you remember the older version mechanics worked (think you said you last played 1e in the 1st post), and go from there.

I played end of 1e and beginning of advanced D&D.. but to be honest.. now that I am an adult I don't think I was taught no where near all the rules.. So I am basically starting from scratch...

czman
October 17th, 2020, 01:17
Oh are you a DM also? I know what you mean but you can certainly call me out.. I will need to the polishing..

I have never DM in Fantasy Grounds or 5E. I have played 5E. I did a couple of one shots and I played one campaign before Human Malware started. I know 5E well enough to DM, but I don't know RAW by heart. I have also been playing since the early 80s and sometimes I get the different versions confused, I have played everything from Basic to 5E.

czman
October 17th, 2020, 01:20
If you picked up FG Unity, I think they have an auto fog of war that opens up as players characters move around the map. I am not sure how it works exactly. I know there is a discord that has a FG college. It might be useful.

David the DM
October 17th, 2020, 14:05
Not sure just yet but may do a dry run tomorrow just to make sure connections can be made. Not sure I understand how all that works just yet and be a good test for anyone wanting to connect.

should be about this same time I think.. nothing official but if you around this time tomorrow would be cool to get connected.. I also created a discord server named David The DM https://discord.gg/8cbGtB, This will be how we talk to each other..

David the DM
October 17th, 2020, 14:15
If you picked up FG Unity, I think they have an auto fog of war that opens up as players characters move around the map. I am not sure how it works exactly. I know there is a discord that has a FG college. It might be useful.

yeah I am a apart of the college, just on info overdrive at the moment.. I just finished 98 video of Matt Collier how to be a DM series.. I felt like I needed to catch up on the last 20 years! lol.. Yes I think it does too the fog of war.. but I "think" there is an issue where there are no player vs DM maps.. So what I would share with you would have the fog of war but would still be the DM map... I think I have to get them and edit them a bit remove stuff your not supposed to see etc.. Its a Icespire content thing not a unity thing..

Currently finishing how to run a game with unity... you know the mechanics... Finding tables, story line etc..

Klondikejimbo
October 17th, 2020, 14:29
Sorry what time? Been setting up my oculus quest , so a bit side tracked, but will install discord and Unity today. Did we get a list of players yet?

cwhttiger
October 17th, 2020, 15:31
I am aval to play and have been checking reg any ideas on when you would be starting?

GunnarGreybeard
October 17th, 2020, 16:30
I also created a discord server named David The DM https://discord.gg/8cbGtB, This will be how we talk to each other..

Not sure I can fully commit atm, depends on final day decided, time, etc but I went ahead and joined the discord. Right now I just have the Unity demo version since I already have the ultimate license for classic FG. Definitely willing to help out getting the ball rolling though.

Klondikejimbo
October 17th, 2020, 17:22
I tried but invite expiref

czman
October 17th, 2020, 18:27
The invite is expired. Might need to create one that lasts longer.

GunnarGreybeard
October 17th, 2020, 18:28
I tried but invite expiref

Try this one > https://discord.gg/4yUzrn

czman
October 17th, 2020, 18:31
That one worked for me.

GunnarGreybeard
October 17th, 2020, 21:22
That one worked for me.

I just threw up another 24 hour link since it's not my discord. Hopefully we'll see some more people jump in and David the DM can continue working out the details.

Feldsparian
October 18th, 2020, 03:33
Looks like you are set. I submitted the application should you have a spot open up at some point.

David the DM
October 18th, 2020, 13:21
Good morning... I thought maybe would try connecting and maybe making a character today....

Nothing set in stone though... I just wanted to start to establish connections to the game maybe.. No players have been selected or anything like that.. More of a dry run that may or may not turn into something we use character wise..

If any unity DM out there wants to help educate that would be cool?!

Todays connection time is flexible and this is time frame time we would be starting too..

The plan, connect on discord meet and greet then collectively try and get a game connection established. IF that goes well and we if interested may can start to build a character.. Just depends on how we are feeling..

GunnarGreybeard
October 18th, 2020, 15:44
If any unity DM out there wants to help educate that would be cool?!

I have only ever used FG Classic so not familiar with the online connection option Unity offers. Do you have the standard or ultimate license (all my license stuff is in Classic with only the demo for Unity at the moment).

David the DM
October 18th, 2020, 15:57
Here is updated discord link... https://discord.gg/rQcEv9

I just finished watching some of a sample mission ran from DM perspective to get my first look behind the screen lol...

I'm doing my best to learn as fast as I can to have the best experience possible..

I'm gonna grab a quick bite to eat and then jump on and try and get someone connected... etc..

I Have an understanding but I just need to get some OJT now..

I have discord on my phone now too so updated will be more fluent.. If the link stops working again lemme know..

Now where's my grog!

David the DM
October 19th, 2020, 16:40
Update for all... Connection tests went great!.. Just a small learning curve there.. Still working on understanding the DM side of FG but I did get a lot of base knowledge down.. as a matter of fact I started to bolster up out the adventure some too.. places where I saw needed some extra images to share etc..

I am working through things like how to handle what map the players should see and wondering if it will be worth it to create LOS stuff for maps I pull in my self..

I dont know who will be playing but filling out the app does certainly help.. I have received 2 so far..

DtDM

David the DM
October 19th, 2020, 16:44
Looks like you are set. I submitted the application should you have a spot open up at some point.

I dont think I got it? Send in PM or post here please..

Marcus Arabela
October 20th, 2020, 04:48
I would be interested in a Saturday game. Sunday would be good too, but would need to be after 1300. I'm Central Time.

I'm new to using FGU (which I own a Standard license), but am experienced with playing D&D from the days of the original, through AD&D and 3.5e. Yep, showing my age there a bit.

After a lapse of several years, I'm looking to get involved again and have acquired a D&D 5e set, both within FGU and hardcover.

I'm retired military with dual service in the Navy and Coast Guard, and am currently a Federal Government employee of the FAA. If y'all are still looking for a player, I'm willing to join.

Marcus

Klondikejimbo
October 20th, 2020, 09:06
Maybe I missed a post, what application? Been on this thread since start and think I missed a beat. I good for any time sat or Sunday.

Klondikejimbo
October 20th, 2020, 09:17
So because this is an investment of not only money which frankly is not the most important thing.. Its time.. time with friends and like minded individuals.. adventures as it were!!

Games runs best when there is some understanding of game play. Would be super helpful to have these questions answered please! Share either as a post or PM either is fine...

The players’ roles are…

a) …to follow the GM’s lead to fit the story
b) …to set goals for their characters, and pursue them proactively
c) …to fling their characters into tough situations and make hard, sometimes, unwise choices

Doing the smartest thing for your character’s survival…

a) …is what a good player does.
b) …sometimes isn’t as important as other choices
c) …isn’t even a concern or focus for this game.

The GM’s role to the rules is…

a) …follow them, come what may. (including following house rules)
b) …ignore them when they conflict with what would be good for the story
c) …ignore them when they conflict with what “should” happen, based either on realism, the setting, or the genre

After many sessions of play, during one session, a player decides to have her character side with an enemy. This is…

a) …something that shouldn’t even happen. This is someone being a jerk.
b) …where the character becomes an NPC, right away or fairly soon.
c) …something the player and the GM should have set up ahead of time.
d) …only going to last until the other player characters find out and do something about it.
e) …a meaningful moment, powerful and an example of excellent play.

A fistfight breaks out in a bar! The details of where everything is – tables, chairs, where everyone is standing is something that…

a) …is important and will be displayed on a map or grid, perhaps using miniature figures.
b) …is something the GM will describe and you should ask questions to get more information.
c) …you can decide on the spot using specific game rules (rolling dice, spending points, whatever)
d) …isn’t really that important other than it makes for an interesting scene- pretty much anyone can come up with details.

In order to really have fun with this game, the rulebook is something that…

a) …everyone playing needs to have read and understood before play, because the rules and setting are both very important.
b) …everyone should know the rules very well.
c) …everyone should know the setting very well.
d) …everyone at least should know the basics of the rules.
e) …everyone at least should know the genre the game pulls from
f) …Only one person needs to really know the rules and it can be explained in 10 minutes or less to everyone else.

This game runs best when the players take time to create characters that are…

a) …built to face challenges using the mechanics and stats.
b) …written with extensive backstories or histories
c) …given strong motivations and an immediate problem or crisis
d) …tied into the other characters as (allies) (enemies) (as either)
e) …written with some knowledge, research or reading up on the game setting, real history or an actual culture

Thank you in advance!
If this was what you referred too as application

B
C
A
D
D

David the DM
October 20th, 2020, 15:12
If this was what you referred too as application

yes that was it.. Just give me an idea on what to expect.. ty sir!

David the DM
October 20th, 2020, 15:13
No major details have been put out.. I am going reading the adventure, learning how to use the DM tool in FGU and soak up as much as possible.. I just figure out the LOS stuff yesterday for example.. I need to get more info on running encounters in FG and honestly I think the adventure is thin in some places so I am making adjustments..

It will likely be at 7 or 8am on Sundays possibly Saturdays, getting done with plenty of time to enjoy the rest of our day and still get our fix in!..

David the DM
October 20th, 2020, 15:15
I would be interested in a Saturday game. Sunday would be good too, but would need to be after 1300. I'm Central Time.

I'm new to using FGU (which I own a Standard license), but am experienced with playing D&D from the days of the original, through AD&D and 3.5e. Yep, showing my age there a bit.

After a lapse of several years, I'm looking to get involved again and have acquired a D&D 5e set, both within FGU and hardcover.

I'm retired military with dual service in the Navy and Coast Guard, and am currently a Federal Government employee of the FAA. If y'all are still looking for a player, I'm willing to join.

Marcus

Hey man! Thank you but I its doubtful we will start that late.. especially if its campaign style vs one shot..

Marcus Arabela
October 20th, 2020, 21:15
Hey man! Thank you but I its doubtful we will start that late.. especially if its campaign style vs one shot..

Ok, if you shift to Saturday morning, I'll be available. I have family commitments on Sunday after 1030 Central, but I'm available in the afternoon/evening.

Thanks for considering me.

David the DM
October 21st, 2020, 17:20
How does everyone feel about playing with video on?

Honestly I have only done mic only and this game will be that way too.. but I feel like at some point I may want to run a game with video.

David the DM
October 21st, 2020, 17:21
Ok, if you shift to Saturday morning, I'll be available. I have family commitments on Sunday after 1030 Central, but I'm available in the afternoon/evening.

Thanks for considering me.

I get it... trust me.. lol.. feel free to join discord in the mean time..

Marcus Arabela
October 21st, 2020, 17:24
How does everyone feel about playing with video on?

Honestly I have only done mic only and this game will be that way too.. but I feel like at some point I may want to run a game with video.

I'm on Discord and was playing with my settings. Did I just see video from you in the test?

David the DM
October 21st, 2020, 18:28
I'm on Discord and was playing with my settings. Did I just see video from you in the test?

https://discord.gg/JxEDt9 is the discord..

and no I dont think so.. I am in the discord now too.. fiddling with a mic..

David the DM
October 23rd, 2020, 00:58
Getting closer! lol.. So much to learn.. currently figuring out how to add NPC tokens..

I think it will be worth the wait though..

David the DM
October 25th, 2020, 13:33
Good morning!.. So this is a rough time we will be staring in the future.. Who's up? Lol...

I have been working hard.. learning back end of FG, soaking up as many rules as I can, character creation, reading the module and a lot of time has been figuring out how to add a few things to help round out the game adventure some.. Its my goal to have a good start and make it fun and flow as best as possible being as I am a level 0 DM! Lol

So character creation is coming up soon so please confirm you have the time and consistency for Sunday morning games!!

DtDM

Klondikejimbo
October 25th, 2020, 14:36
Works for me. Though I though we said Saturdays. Either works for me in any case.

David the DM
October 25th, 2020, 17:04
Works for me. Though I though we said Saturdays. Either works for me in any case.

I think it was either or but I think I am settling on Sunday..

Marcus Arabela
October 25th, 2020, 17:40

I would really like to get in on this, but Sunday mornings I can't commit to. Saturday would work for me. I'll have to sit this one out. If things change I'll definitely get ahold of you.

David the DM
October 26th, 2020, 19:26
Okay so looking at character creation probably this Sunday.. Who do we still have who is interested?

and what votes do we have for Sat vs Sun?

czman
October 26th, 2020, 21:26
Nov 1st?

David the DM
October 26th, 2020, 21:41
Nov 1st?

Yes! sorry I will get better at this I promise..

So a proposed character creation date for Nov 1st. 7 or 8am...

This is just to see how many have genuine interest.. small group is fine with me but just means everyone has to make sure they show up as much as possible..

czman
October 26th, 2020, 21:43
I think we should start at 8 since a sessions 0 does not take to long. We should be able to finish in 2-3 hours without much of an issue.

GunnarGreybeard
October 26th, 2020, 22:24
Probably going to need to be at least 8 CST start time on Sundays for me. Can't do Saturdays, since I usually need that time to prep for my weekly Saturday night 5e game.

David the DM
October 27th, 2020, 21:25
So thats 2 for AM Sunday.. Do we have any others for Sunday?