PDA

View Full Version : Map quality question

Eltrym
October 7th, 2020, 19:26
Yesterday, I read a post where the person was having issues with his LoS not working properly. Of course, I can't find it to show an example, but, I do know he showed a map of the first layer of Undermountain from Dungeon of The Mad Mage. What I immediately noticed was how much more realistic his dungeon looked than the one that I have. He had what looked like actual flagstone floors on his map instead of the plain gray nondescript floors in my map. My question is how is that achieved? Is there an extension that I need to get, or some other trick that my computer illiterate self doesn't know? Thanks

Granamere
October 7th, 2020, 19:33
I bet he had an add on map pack or he had a custom map he has made for when you can go off of the default map. I look and see if I can find the thread and see if I can figure it out.

Was it this post?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46541-Questions-About-Dungeons-of-the-Mad-Mage

Eltrym
October 7th, 2020, 19:46
No, that's not the one. He was having an issue with the LoS not working on the top part of his map. It wasn't showing all that the players should see. The top quarter or so was still hidden, in a straight line all the way across.

Granamere
October 7th, 2020, 19:59
Also are you looking at the DM Map or the Battlemap?

if you go to this link you will see some maps are better than others in the dungeon. Also from the post above the team that did the conversion did add some more color and detail to some of the maps. The DM Maps are very black and white.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EDOTMM

If this is not what you saw I would check out DMSGUILD.COM. If you search on
expanded mad mage fantasy grounds

You might find that someone (not me) has made an expanded set of maps. No idea if they support LOS or not. There could also be easily more people that have made more colorful map packs but I use the ones that came with the default FG module.

Eltrym
October 7th, 2020, 20:09
It looks like the players map to me.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2020, 20:11
He had what looked like actual flagstone floors on his map instead of the plain gray nondescript floors in my map. My question is how is that achieved?
That map was a commercial map from Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Here's the store page for that product: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EDOTMM The map is a single image created by a professional cartographer for Wizards of the Coast and converted into FG as a single map image.

Here is the thread in particular: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62458-Line-of-Sight-have-a-problem-in-Dungeon-of-the-Mad-Mage

If you want to create something similar then you'll either need to use an external map making/graphics application, or use some of the assets within FGU to create a multi-layer image. See the Wiki and demo videos on how to do this.

humby
October 7th, 2020, 20:16
Scrubbed - Trenloe posted afore me.

Eltrym
October 7th, 2020, 20:19
Alright, I've already got that, and that's exactly the post I was referring to. Thanks for the help, it looks like I need to go watch some more videos.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2020, 20:21
Alright, I've already got that, and that's exactly the post I was referring to.
I included that link as others in this thread were asking what thread you were referring to. I wanted everyone to be on the same page.

Granamere
October 7th, 2020, 20:26
I own Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I can not find this map in it. What is it called?

Trenloe
October 7th, 2020, 20:34
I own Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I can not find this map in it. What is it called?
It's certainly a confusing post. I've just noticed the OP said "To make it more easy to reproduce I made a new map of the one I downloaded from Internet and just placed a few Line of Sights on it." So... no idea. ;)

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2020, 20:59
The map in the OP is not in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage sold via the store. So it's one that the OP created themselves or bought from somewhere else.