PDA

View Full Version : Character selection issue

Danimal66
October 7th, 2020, 01:45
We are trying to play tonight as we made PC's last week. One of the players has no characters showing up in the character selection screen. The DM has cleared ownership, and myself and other players can see our friends PC in the character selection screen but he can't. We made sure everyone is updated, restarted the server several times and he still can't find his guy to select.

Any ideas on what to do?

JohnD
October 7th, 2020, 02:30
In FGC, you have to close the Character Selection window and then open it again for changes in ownership to be reflected.

Danimal66
October 7th, 2020, 02:43
In FGC, you have to close the Character Selection window and then open it again for changes in ownership to be reflected.

We tried that a number of times. We finally got it to work by the DM taking ownership and then releasing it. However now that he has control of his guy anything the DM shares with him is showing up blank. For instance the DM shared a map the other 4 of us can see the map. His map is blank however.

Really weird, this player is on a Mac if that makes a difference.

LordEntrails
October 7th, 2020, 04:18
It shouldn't make a difference, but sounds like his cache may be corrupted. I would have him disconnect, clear his cache and restart FGU and then reconnect. See if that helps.

Danimal66
October 7th, 2020, 14:03
It shouldn't make a difference, but sounds like his cache may be corrupted. I would have him disconnect, clear his cache and restart FGU and then reconnect. See if that helps.

How does one clear their cache in FGU?

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2020, 15:19
Delete the folder for the campaign in the FGData/cache folder.

Danimal66
October 26th, 2020, 01:59
Delete the folder for the campaign in the FGData/cache folder.

First time we tried playing again. My friend claims he deleted his cache folder and still doesn't see anything in the character selection window while the other players including myself can see his PC in the character selection window. Everyone is updated, we have no idea what to do.

As a side not when I was DM we never had this issue with him.

Any other ideas?

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2020, 01:13
Are the characters all showing as Owned by other players?

The GM can use the right click menu to Clear Owner on any player, so that it will appear next time any user re-opens their Character Selection window.

Regards,
JPG

Danimal66
October 28th, 2020, 02:54
Are the characters all showing as Owned by other players?

The GM can use the right click menu to Clear Owner on any player, so that it will appear next time any user re-opens their Character Selection window.

Regards,
JPG

Appreciate the attempt at help but I don't think this is a simple matter of not knowing what to do. I've used FG for over 4 years and I've tried all the obvious solutions. In a nutshell here is the problem

1. Everyone when they log in gets a pop up with their character and they select the character and are good except for this one player who is on a Mac,
2. When he logs in he sees his character in the same manner as above but it unable to select him. The owner is listed as his log in name.
3. He closes that window and then click on the PC button and there are no characters to select.
4. The GM clears the ownership, the play still sees no character on pressing the PC button but all other players can see his character if they hit the PC button.
5. Player logs off and on, make no difference.
6. Player clears cache as described above by deleting cache folder, makes no difference.
7. Other player can select his PC and use it. In fact last session I controlled his PC and he just told me what to do so we could get the session in.

Only thing we haven't tried is clearing someone elses ownership to see if this player can see any characters in the selection window. We all update before every session to ensure we are on the same version. I should also note that I GM the last campaign in which we used FGU for the last 3 months of it and this player never had an issue selecting his guy.

I'm honestly out of ideas on what to try.

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2020, 03:22
ok, so what about username? Any special characters? If he tries a new username does it work?

Trenloe
October 28th, 2020, 12:24
However now that he has control of his guy anything the DM shares with him is showing up blank. For instance the DM shared a map the other 4 of us can see the map. His map is blank however.
This is all pointing towards data transfer/local caching issues.

When the player next joins the GMs game, after a few minutes ask them to take a screenshot of their campaign cache directory for the campaign they've joined. There should be some .dat files in that directory - which should be updating as data is downloaded from the GM. So, open file explorer and go to <FG app data>\cache\<campaign name>, select "details" view (so that file size and date are shown) and take a screenshot of the contents of that directory - then post it here.

Danimal66
October 30th, 2020, 19:05
ok, so what about username? Any special characters? If he tries a new username does it work?

Sorry I didn't get notified of this reply, we haven't tried that we play again Monday so will tell him to try that.

Trenloe
October 30th, 2020, 19:09
Sorry I didn't get notified of this reply, we haven't tried that we play again Monday so will tell him to try that.
You only get limited notifications per visit to the FG forums. So if you get a notification and don't login to the FG forums you won't get any more. So, even though you can read the contents of a reply in the email (at the time of the reply, not any subsequent edits), if you don't then visit the FG forum and login you may not get any future notifications. So, best to at least click on the link to the post in the email so you visit the forums and will get the next notification.

Danimal66
November 3rd, 2020, 03:36
so back to this, I think this is some kind of connection issue. We switched DM's long story, and this Mac player is able to log on and create a guy but the DM can't see his complete sheet but the player can. He also got socket errors a few times. Really not sure what is going on.

Moon Wizard
November 3rd, 2020, 17:33
I responded in the new thread that you started:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63297-Mac-mini-connection-issues

I'll close this one for now.

Regards,
JPG