PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Steam Store, Fantasy Grounds Store, and Dungeon Masters Guild?

SilentRuin
October 5th, 2020, 15:59
A question out of curiosity, purely regarding things that work with Fantasy Grounds. I note that Dungeon Masters Guild has the most variety of things for sale, while Fantasy Grounds Store has less variety, and Steam has very little.

Was curious what the reasoning is on what gets put where for sale. Seems like Dungeon Masters Guilds has everything there is and Fantasy Grounds has a much smaller subset of that. And Steam even less.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 16:43
The FG Store and Steam sales should be the same, within a few hours. AT least normally, but I believe that not all things have been made available on Steam for FGU yet (I think they had a large initial bath and are doing a few dozen per week after that).

The DMsGuild is a completely different outlet. And though a few things that are on sale there by SmiteWorks are also included in the FG Store/Steam, in general I would not buy official FG content from there. But, maybe something official is on sale there when it's not on the FG Store/STeam.

SmiteWorks controls when products go on sale on the FG Store and Steam (within a few hours of each other). While One Book Shelf controls the sales of things on the DMsGuild.

Note that most everything on the DMsGuild is unofficial community content. Though as mentioned, there is a small segment of official content on the DMsG as well.

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2020, 16:53
As far as I am aware everything that is available from the store is also available from Steam. Steam currently lists 1690 DLC which I believe is the total amount of DLC which is available. There may be the odd older product or two which isn't on Steam but you are going to really struggle to find it.

The DMSGuild is a third party avenue which allows people to publish stuff under license. Smiteworks allows third party people to create modules and extensions which can be used by FG but the platform is independent of SW. These products are only available via the DMsGuild and are not sold anywhere else. I believe also that some official modules can also be found on the DMsGuild, but you won't find the entire DLC for FG on there.

SilentRuin
October 5th, 2020, 17:26
Thanks for the information.

esmdev
October 5th, 2020, 17:57
I know that official releases on the FG store (and by proxy the Steam store) require the developer to support the product (bug fixes and such) for at least a year. I don't know if there is any such requirement for DMsguild products. Additionally, only D&D products can be released via DMsguild preventing release of anything outside that license (I'm not 100% sure it extends outside 5E). So you couldn't write something for Call of Cthulhu and release it on DriveThruRPG for instance (which someone did and it was removed within hours).

Nylanfs
October 5th, 2020, 19:15
You might be able to release it under the regular One Book Shelf sites if it isn't D&D compatible. It's all the same software, but you would need to talk to Smiteworks and make sure.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 19:38
You might be able to release it under the regular One Book Shelf sites if it isn't D&D compatible. It's all the same software, but you would need to talk to Smiteworks and make sure.
You can't release FG modules via other OBS sites without a license agreement with SmiteWorks. Effectively, When you post on a FG module on the DMsGuild SmiteWorks get a part of the sales, that doesn't happen when you post on DriveThruRPG etc.

Nylanfs
October 5th, 2020, 19:46
There likely isn't any software reason why that couldn't be extended to the rest of their sites now that it's a proven model for DMsG though.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 19:48
There likely isn't any software reason why that couldn't be extended to the rest of their sites now that it's a proven model for DMsG though.
Correct. But right now it is illegal to distribute FG modules there without a specific license agreement. And right now I have to imagine is is way too low on Doug's radar to prioritize it to make arrangements.

Granamere
October 5th, 2020, 20:22
FYI AAW Games sells FG stuff right off of their site so this is not unheard of.

Removing link that was illustrating the point.

Is there any list out there of the Officially licensed FG sites?

Trenloe
October 5th, 2020, 20:27
Is there any list out there of the Officially licensed FG sites?
Not that I know of.

As an aside - these are the recently released guidelines: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61018-Rules-for-advertising-Read-First!

Granamere
October 5th, 2020, 20:41
I can completely see the point and I have removed the link. :)

I was just trying to point out there are options out there and was hoping for a posting or something that might have the official options out there.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 20:51
FYI AAW Games sells FG stuff right off of their site so this is not unheard of.
AAW has it's own license agreement with SmiteWorks.

No list I know of.