PDA

View Full Version : Steam Vs Website FG

iLLuuMe
October 5th, 2020, 14:25
I am looking to get the Ultimate Edition of Fantasy Grounds, upgrading from player to GM.
Can anyone tell me the difference between FG Steam upgrade and FG from the site?

Nylanfs
October 5th, 2020, 15:01
Welcome to the FG forums and community!

There is literally no difference, the steam program is simply a wrapper around the program here. But if you can use the regional pricing from Steam it might be better there for you. If not then getting it directly from Smiteworks more of the money goes to the developers, IIRC Valve takes 30%ish of the cut.

JohnQPublic
October 5th, 2020, 15:12
I have one player who got FG from Steam. The other 5 all got it from the site. The only player who's ever had a problem launching FG is the one who got it via Steam. The problem was minor and resolved fairly quickly. Personally, I would rather go direct than through a 3rd party launcher.

Trenloe
October 5th, 2020, 15:20
You also get a 30 day no questions asked refund policy if you buy from the FG website. Steam's refund policy has a lot shorter time frame. Also, every 4-6 weeks the FG license keys bought via the FG store are uploaded to Steam and you can register your FG purchase with Steam.

Basically, as mentioned, the only advantage to purchasing on Steam is regional pricing.

Granamere
October 5th, 2020, 15:21
Welcome!

One other thing to consider. Once you start buying books, modules, anything content wise pick one place and buy it all from there. If you buy D&D 5e Players Handbook on Steam there is nothing to stop you from buying it again on the Fantasy Grounds website. Personally I would buy everything direct from the FG store so you can easily see what you do not have from the bundles pages.

The one thing that Steam has that the FG store does not is a Wishlist. As you can see in my tag I am wishing they will add it to the FG store.

Imagix
October 5th, 2020, 16:09
The poll question is kinda nonsensical. "Which is the better FG Program?" They're both the same program.....

Nylanfs
October 5th, 2020, 16:59
MANY people aren't aware of this.

similarly
October 6th, 2020, 04:37
The only reason I bought on steam is that I live in Japan and steam has more payment options for Japan (like convenience store payment, steam gift cards, etc.).

A Social Yeti
October 7th, 2020, 17:39
There is no difference in the FGU application functions and features.
BUT by being in Steam, you are just adding a superfluous layer of DRM to the FG purchase, and also buying from steam instead of direct would cut into the take that FG gets.

I find that locking anything i purchase to my steam account, when i had other less restrictive options to pick from, to not be in my own longer term best interests.

Steam has to basically have something that no one else can offer, and that has to be what i need, before i buy anything through steam anymore. I just find that it is not really a consumer friendly enough platform in design, for me to go to it unless i have no other options.

Nylanfs
October 7th, 2020, 21:12
No you aren't, you can use your key you get through steam on the version you download from here.

Crimzro
December 21st, 2020, 22:58
so your saying if i buy fg on website, as long as my steam is linked to fg account, it will tell steam i own the game?

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2020, 00:27
Welcome to FG.

Not quite. If you buy from Smiteworks then every so often they send a list of keys for purchased licences off to Steam to let them know that they are valid licences. Once Steam become aware of a valid license you can go into the game menu in Steam and select activate a product and add your key to the box, to activate the key in Steam.

It may take several weeks before Steam gets notified.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2020, 03:39
And I believe only gets notified of licenses, not DLC. At least I know that bundles only work in either store if all content was purchased in that store.

WindrunnerCGG
December 22nd, 2020, 04:32
The main reason you'd buy from Steam is because of favorable exchange rates outside of the US. Do be careful of what @granamere said, but the Smiteworks customer service team is very good about taking care of any issues like that.

Windrunner

similarly
December 22nd, 2020, 07:26
I only use steam because in Japan I have more payment options. I can buy steam cards, I can pay at a convenience store. At the smiteworks store, it's just credit cards.