PDA

View Full Version : Shearing books as Player

Poe the Homunculus
October 5th, 2020, 03:18
Hello,
I do not know if this has been asked before, and maybe a normal reoccurring "annoying" question.
Is it possible to share a book with a GM or other players when you sit at a table as a player?

I DM a Friday night game and have a neat creature book I want to share as a player in another game. Both I and the other DM have Ultimate Licenses.

Thank you,

Neovirtus
October 5th, 2020, 03:45
No, the only time you can share books is when you are the DM. The DM of another game can allow you to access books you own, in their game, but they cannot access them, or give other players access.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 05:53
If you created the book yourself, as a module in FG, and you have the rights to distribute it, you can share the module file with whomever you want. If it is a purchased module, then you don't have the rights to distribute it and it's encrypted anyway. More details would help us be more specific.

Poe the Homunculus
October 5th, 2020, 19:39
No, the only time you can share books is when you are the DM. The DM of another game can allow you to access books you own, in their game, but they cannot access them, or give other players access.

How does one go about doing that in Unity?

Poe the Homunculus
October 5th, 2020, 19:41
If you created the book yourself, as a module in FG, and you have the rights to distribute it, you can share the module file with whomever you want. If it is a purchased module, then you don't have the rights to distribute it and it's encrypted anyway. More details would help us be more specific.

I have Creature Components Vol 1 for Fantasy Grounds that I bought to DM on my Friday night games. Wanted to share it in a game as a Player.
So, for a Numenera game, which I do have the PDFs for and there is no official module, I load it as an image then export to share with others?

Thanks!

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 19:45
I have Creature Components Vol 1 for Fantasy Grounds that I bought to DM on my Friday night games. Wanted to share it in a game as a Player.
So, for a Numenera game, which I do have the PDFs for and there is no official module, I load it as an image then export to share with others?

Thanks!
You can share a PDF by turning it into images, or you can convert it to an FG module yourself. Depending upon the PDF, this can be quick or cumbersome. You can see the link in my signature about Adventure Modules. There are also YouTube videos that show how to convert etc.

As a Player, you can't share. The GM can allow you to use a source you own in FG, but you are the only one that can see the content.

Granamere
October 5th, 2020, 20:33

Thanks!

Just making sure I understand this correctly.

I buy 1st edition D&D B1 In Search of the Unknown from DMSGuild. I turn the PDF into a 5e module. A good friend that also is a DM want to run his group through it so he goes to DMSGuild and buys the same PDF. I can them give him my module since he owes the source material. If he did not own it he would not have the licensing agreement so I could not share it with him correct?

Now if I build my own module using all of my own artwork, maps and text. I could give that to whoever I want since I have all the rights to it.

Trenloe
October 5th, 2020, 20:38
I buy 1st edition D&D B1 In Search of the Unknown from DMSGuild. I turn the PDF into a 5e module. A good friend that also is a DM want to run his group through it so he goes to DMSGuild and buys the same PDF. I can them give him my module since he owes the source material. If he did not own it he would not have the licensing agreement so I could not share it with him correct?
By the strict legal terms of copyright, no you couldn't legally do this. Even though you both own a format of the product, you can't legally make copies/change the format of the product and exchange the results unless the license of that product specifically allows it or you get permission from the copyright holder.

Now if I build my own module using all of my own artwork, maps and text. I could give that to whoever I want since I have all the rights to it.
Correct.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 20:49
Just making sure I understand this correctly.

Generally no, but it depends upon the Intellectual Property laws where you live. Even then this is often a grey area. For instance, I believe at one point in time Paizo allowed folks to distributed converted content if both parties could prove they owned the original product. But I don't believe this is allowed anymore.

You can distribute it freely to whoever you want. If you are selling it, then the FG license agreement requires that you have a license with SmiteWorks to sell it or you use the license that is available via the DMsGuild. This is because the xml format of the FG module itself is proprietary and thus not your IP to distribute.

A Social Yeti
October 5th, 2020, 20:55
nope there is no sharing here.
the model is this:

It is a GMcentric POV system. No player needs to own anything ever. The GM is the only one that has to own the stuff. But they have to own everything personally, GM's can't share material they have used with each other.

GM(host server) can use whatever they have, during a session, with players that connect.
If FG ultimate license = use with anyone paid or free.
if FG regular license = use only with paid license holders.

Technically speaking we do not share any paid for materials with anyone. Using that word is a real misnomer. We're not "sharing" we're just using the material the way it is to be used, and the option of sharing is only for physical real world materials now. But digital material creators can choose to prevent us sharing them, and so they do.

There is no sharing in this system. No one can "borrow" or "share" any paid for IP materials with anyone, everyone has to personal buy anything they want to use as a GM in their campaigns.

Access to materials is sticky during GM host's server run time(only on server sharing nothing can be saved locally to a connected client for later), no one can have access to materials of a campaign, outside of the campaign.

LIKE IRL IN THIS WAY:

When at the table you can see the game map and read the books the GM has provided that you do not own.
When not at the table, none of that is available to you to see or use.

NOT LIKE IRL:
When you do not want the material anymore, you cannot give it away or loan it to anyone.

So no actual sharing is allowed, just use of.
At the table is just using, lending out for use without you, that's sharing.
let's not devalue and diminish the meaning of the word "share" buy using it for this.

Whatever you pay for, as a GM, can be used in your campaigns. Just like IRL nothig is any different from the IRL table top in this way. When at the table all campaign material is there for everyone at the table. When not at that table, whatever you persoanlly do not own is not yours to access until you go buy your own personal copy of it.

the only FG distinction then is, if you want to GM for not paying FG customers, then the GM must pay for the ult license, but if the GM only wants to GM for paying FG customers, then they need only buy the base license.

But there is no sharing of your GM material for other GMs to get to use, they just have to go buy their own copy of it.

Granamere
October 5th, 2020, 21:18
Do or do not, there is not try!

Sorry after reading that just thinking of yoda's quote. :)

So for the Numenera game pdf as mentioned by Poe the Homunculus, then he could not export it and share with anyone because of copywrite law.

Trenloe
October 5th, 2020, 21:24
So for the Numenera game pdf as mentioned by Poe the Homunculus, then he could not export it and share with anyone because of copywrite law.
Correct. You can't copy/change the format and distribute any material unless the license of that product specifically allows it or you get permission from the copyright holder.

Neovirtus
October 5th, 2020, 22:20
How does one go about doing that in Unity?

Last I knew the feature was bugged in Unity. I haven't noticed whether it has been fixed or not. If it is working, the GM should be able to go into their modules library, see the book you own, and enable it for you. Then you should be able to load it from the library.

Willot
October 5th, 2020, 22:25
Shearing BOoks? (RE: title of Post)

Granamere
October 5th, 2020, 22:41
Lol!

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2020, 22:44
Shearing BOoks? (RE: title of Post)
Nicely done :)

Poe the Homunculus
October 6th, 2020, 19:14