PDA

View Full Version : RuleForge - RuleSet Editor

DrDeth
May 7th, 2007, 15:58
If you havent already heard about RuleForge, it is a ruleset editor for Fantasy Grounds. Mid-way through development, Fantasy Grounds II was released - causing us to take a step back and re-look at the way rulesets are created. We're now making headway, and have completed some of the administrative functions of the tool around managing rulesets and modules.

Here is a quick glimpse at the Module Manager...
https://www.wrath.co.za/files/fgdbe/ModuleManager.jpg

hedgewizard
May 7th, 2007, 19:32
Looks delicious! I think this will be an incredibly useful tool for anyone interested in making rulesets.

I noticed you are referencing Nezzir's WFRP work - which is coming along very nicely! Is Nezzir part of your testing network?

nezzir
May 7th, 2007, 20:17
Is Nezzir part of your testing network?

Absolutely! I need this tool for the Warhammer 40k ruleset next year!

Blue Haven
May 8th, 2007, 11:04
Tell me and when do you think this will be ready Drdeth?

Tokuriku
May 8th, 2007, 13:40
Meeee wantzzzzzzzzz

DrDeth
May 10th, 2007, 08:22
Tell me and when do you think this will be ready Drdeth?

Oh boy... the question all developers hate...

I can't give an exact date at this stage. I have a day job that sucks away at my time, but I work on RuleForge as much as possible. What I'd like to do is get this tool to the community as soon as possible, and currently I'm thinking of a phased release approach - with the basic 'nuts & bolts' tool coming soon, with more and more features added over time.

ldyparadox99
May 10th, 2007, 10:22
Thanks for keeping us updated. ;-)

Oberoten
May 10th, 2007, 10:24
A question, is there any plans to let the editor load things from the previous version of FG and save them as FG2? *hoping beyond hope for a conversion tool out of this too*

DrDeth
May 10th, 2007, 10:56
A question, is there any plans to let the editor load things from the previous version of FG and save them as FG2? *hoping beyond hope for a conversion tool out of this too*

This is not as easy as it sounds, but I may think about doing something like this once the FG-II editing portion is complete. Its not a matter of that it cant be done, its just a matter of time and effort. Right now I'd prefer to concentrate on getting the editor up and running before I start looking at conversions.

Blue Haven
May 10th, 2007, 11:22
Thanks DrDeth :) i will wait eheheh but one question this program is only for FG1?? can we create new rulesets for FG2 or no?
Bye

DrDeth
May 10th, 2007, 11:36
No, you misunderstand. This program is for FG-II (FG2) rulesets, not FG1. There may be some sort of conversion tool though.

neonbasschild
May 24th, 2007, 11:14
I cant wait for this program to come out. I just bought a copy of FGII tonight and I am thinking I should have waited till this is ready. I was hoping there was some simple way of making character sheets for the program but after looking at it, I was wrong... I dont feel like learning yet another progamming language and xml..... My head still herts from learning php and mysql.

I cant stand D20, but I love running games. All I need is some way to make character sheets and I am good to go.

So please keep up the work and if you need alpha or beta testers sign me up!

DrDeth
May 24th, 2007, 12:57
Thanks! You can join the alpha/beta by signing up on our forums (https://support.wrath.co.za/) and sending me a PM to let me know, including your username, so I can activate your account. (Unfortunately we cant currently allow anonymous/random signups to the forums due to an issue with spam.)

silvereagle72
August 21st, 2010, 23:30
Has anyone messed with this editor? Does it work? Anyone know HOW it works?

Latest location I found it - https://ruleforge.codeplex.com/?

GunnarGreybeard
August 22nd, 2010, 00:00
Has anyone messed with this editor? Does it work? Anyone know HOW it works?

Latest location I found it - https://ruleforge.codeplex.com/?
Interesting and the first I've heard of this. I wonder what the status is and how functionally complete it might be?

tdewitt274
August 22nd, 2010, 00:23
I think this was abandoned, but FG Studio (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/FG_Studio) was another attempt at it.

However, I don't know the status of FG Studio or if it is still supported by DigitalAdventures.

Doswelk
August 22nd, 2010, 00:39
I suspect not when Digital Adventures sold its FGII modules to Smiteworks it included a clause to not compete with FGII.

This would not count as competing but I think any development for FGII has been abandoned by Digital Adventures.

StuartW
August 22nd, 2010, 06:50
I was working on FG Studio, which wasn't really a ruleset editor but more like a Visual Studio-like development environment that understood Lua. I haven't worked on it in ages, as there are too many other things competing for my time (just like I haven't done any ruleset development since BRP).

I also had a hand in RuleForge, which was a drag-and-drop editor for FGII, but the main guy running that project (DrDeth) had to put it on the back-burner as well. So many good ideas, so little time to realise them.

Stuart

Stitched
August 22nd, 2010, 14:46
Ruleforge is a drag-and-drop editor? From playing with it for about 10 minutes, all I saw was an elegant ruleset navigation tool that looked really unintuitive to edit/create rules. I couldn't see how this was better than pulling out an XML editor and having documentation to breakdown what each core xml/lua script handles. Maybe I missed the documentation?