PDA

View Full Version : Priority of Extensions?

TheFabulousIronChef
October 3rd, 2020, 01:48
I was trying to use a GM Icon extension to change the portrait of the GM token. I am using the FG Dark Theme Extension (Theme_SWU_dark.ext) and the GURPS community ruleset (GURPSCore.ext). So, when I use any of the GM Icon extensions, they do not work. I figure, let me unpack the GURPSCore extension and see if there is a GM Icon there. Sure enough, there is, so I replace that image with a new image (same filename). Boot up FG, nope, still using the "GM" image. Now I'm curious, so I explore the FG Dark Theme extension, and sure enough, there is a GM image there too. I repeat the step, and lo and behold, it now works.

The question that comes up is, how does FGU determine priority in extensions? So, for example, the GURPSCore ruleset extension has various icons for PCs, NPCs, Encounters, etc., but clearly the FG Dark Theme supersedes those. OK, makes sense, but what is somewhat perplexing to me is how the priority order works and what drives that. Any help would be great.

Note: Compared to a lot of folks here who may be involved in coding and the like, I'm deficient there, not really having done anything like that since the 80s as a teenager screwing around with things like BASIC. But I get the general idea of what needs to be done, so I figure there must be some internal logic (perhaps in the XML coding?) that determines which extension has priority when more than one extension is loaded.

Interestingly, not all of the themes even show up for me (e.g., Themes like Dungeon, Simple Brown, Simple Gray, and Wood do not even show up at all as options for my non-5e games). I wonder what that is about.

LordEntrails
October 3rd, 2020, 01:53
I believe the optional tag is <LOADORDER>

I think at one point it wasn't working in FGU, but I think it is now. Otherwise I suspect it loads alphabetical, or random, don't know.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2020, 02:12
Yes, a loadorder tag specified in the extension XML is used to determine load order of extensions. Beyond that, there is no guaranteed load order. The default load order is zero, unless otherwise specified.

For extension availability, extensions must explicitly specify which rulesets they support. If the ruleset is not specified, then the extension won't show up for those rulesets. This is because themes are built and tested for specific rulesets. You're welcome to open up those themes and modify them for your own use; but there is no guarantee they will work and no support if they don't.

Regards,
JPG