PDA

View Full Version : Token rotation with scrollwheel while holding shift not working on MacOS anymore

sstarsslayer
October 2nd, 2020, 05:11
After adding the requirement to hold shift to rotate a token, I can no longer rotate tokens on Mac FGU with the scrollwheel. Doing it with the trackpad still works. Tested on multiple machines. Holding shift does stop the scrollwheel from zooming, just doesn't rotate.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2020, 07:33
Some questions:
* Are you using as a GM or player?
* If GM, can I get a zipped up copy of the campaign folder?
* If player, is it a token that is associated with your PC, or a separate token?

Regards,
JPG

sstarsslayer
October 3rd, 2020, 07:17
Some questions:
* Are you using as a GM or player?
* If GM, can I get a zipped up copy of the campaign folder?
* If player, is it a token that is associated with your PC, or a separate token?

Regards,
JPG

I'm testing as both GM and as a player connected from another machine.
I will attach a campaign zip.
I tried it on an NPC and a PC as GM, then as a player for a PC owned by that player.
Created clean campaign, no extensions, and duplicated.
MacOS 10.14.x & also MacOS 10.15.x

Trackpad rotates tokens, as always, except now requires shift.
Scrollwheel no longer rotates tokens, although holding shift stops zoom now.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2020, 22:24
I'm going to work on getting the test campaign set up on my Mac test machine. In the mean time, can you try seeing if spinning the mouse wheel faster has any impact? (There is a known issue with mouse scroll not being sensitive enough in Mac/Linux we're still looking at.)

Thanks,
JPG

sstarsslayer
October 4th, 2020, 00:29
I'm going to work on getting the test campaign set up on my Mac test machine. In the mean time, can you try seeing if spinning the mouse wheel faster has any impact? (There is a known issue with mouse scroll not being sensitive enough in Mac/Linux we're still looking at.)

Thanks,
JPG

Yeah, scrolling very slow or scrolling only a couple of clicks tends to get ignored when zooming or rotating but no this is not that.

Moon Wizard
October 8th, 2020, 23:02
Wow, learned something new today. Apparently, Mac uses Shift key to modify external mouse wheel to apply to horizontal axis, instead of vertical axis. This is why mouse wheel does not work when Shift key held while using external mouse. Plus I found out that apparently Mac uses a different resolution for trackpad mouse wheel simulation (0.05) vs. external mouse wheel (0.1) vs. Windows mouse wheel (1); as well as identifying the crazy acceleration in Mac trackpad mouse wheel simulation (which combined is why scroll needs big swipes on Mac).

Need to dwell on this a little to see what I can come up with to make it better.

Regards,
JPG

sstarsslayer
October 8th, 2020, 23:35
Need to dwell on this a little to see what I can come up with to make it better.

Regards,
JPG
Interesting. I didn't realize.
I do really like the new behavior of requiring the hotkey so there is no more wild rotation every time one tries to zoom. I personally don't rotate tokens much and generally don't use the concept of "facing" with the tokens except when trying to use tokens for moving walls or rafts or breath effects. Maybe it would matter more if LOS vision is going to respond in the future to the direction the token is facing or something. If I did use it, I would probably rather use hot keys to rotate (maybe page-down or shift-arrows) since I mostly prefer moving tokens around the map with the arrow keys.

Moon Wizard
October 8th, 2020, 23:55
That's a good idea. Maybe add Shift + left/right arrow for rotation of selected tokens. I'll check with Carl to see if anything else is using those keys.

Regards,
JPG

TheFabulousIronChef
October 9th, 2020, 00:28
That's a good idea. Maybe add Shift + left/right arrow for rotation of selected tokens. I'll check with Carl to see if anything else is using those keys.

Regards,
JPG

This would be great. I have a Mac and use a Logitech MX Ergo Trackball and cannot rotate tokens any longer. Since I'm playing GURPS, facing is important. It would be great if we can get this fixed. Thanks!

TheFabulousIronChef
October 9th, 2020, 00:32
And to follow up--having it as a keyboard command instead of having to use the mouse would be awesome. I wish there were more ways to customize FG's keyboard commands, but in my testing of the product for about a month or so now, it is REALLY great.

sstarsslayer
October 9th, 2020, 04:47
It would be great if we can get this fixed. Thanks!
@TheFabulousIronChef, It's fixed now, if you update.