PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions: 1 strange, 1 advice seeking

Lallatwiddle
May 7th, 2007, 05:51
Greetings everyone,
So I have 2 questions for the FG community out there.
1) Now this one may seem kind of strange and I've boggled my mind over it for quite some time with no results. My hubby and I are both running games through FG, via different computers. We use a router and so far I've had to re-route the port forwarding every time we change GM seats but I'm quite tired of that as being my only option. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could allow the port access on both our computers simultaneously? Thank you for your help in advance.
2) This one's easy, my hubby and I are looking at investing in pen tablets and are wondering if ppl have any suggestions as to ones they have found to be reliable, compatible, and user friendly. Again, thanks for the help.

- WRose

Carlos
May 7th, 2007, 05:57
Answer to question #1.

1. Purchase a second IP address from your ISP.
2. Configure your router to forward the FG ports on your second IP to your second computer. If your router doesn't support two external IPs then you have to buy a second router.
3. Tell your friends to connect to the second IP to get the second FG session.

Oberoten
May 7th, 2007, 08:08
For a cheap one I'd recommend the Genius Wizardpen, it is under $100 today, preassure sensitive and nicely exact.

Irian
May 7th, 2007, 13:40
Would probably more cheap to write a little app that simply makes the needed changed in the router with one click :-) But ok, that could be complicated for someone without coding experience.

WolfStar76
May 7th, 2007, 15:37
Wonder if Smiteworks could/would consider allowing users to dictate their own port settings in the future.

That was the "second" computer could host its game on port 1337 (as a semi-random example) and with just a little basic port forwarding, everyone would be happy.

Sigurd
May 7th, 2007, 16:27
Port forwarding:
I believe the old FG did allow changing the port as a commandline switch. I don't remember details though, and I might be wrong.

Sigurd

Lallatwiddle
May 7th, 2007, 21:01
Yeah, I did some research but didn't see any options to change ports for the FG app. I was hoping not to have to get a second IP just to be used for 8 hours a week or so.
I appreciate all the thoughts and advice. :)
If anyone does figure out how to designate custom ports in FGII, pls let me know!

- WRose

Oberoten
May 7th, 2007, 21:31
... In the older version it was Fantasygrounds -p <portnumber>

Lallatwiddle
May 14th, 2007, 04:19
Thanks for the info Oberoten. I'll give it a try this week and I'll let ppl know if it works.

- Wrose