PDA

View Full Version : Success-based Die roller Issues counting multiple successes

Larz
October 1st, 2020, 00:30
Was trying out some dice strings using info from the FGU wiki (found here (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/688330/Rolling+Dice)). I was trying out the success and multiple success based strings (which would be useful for games such as Exalted). The die-roller would count successes just fine if just using the "Xd10s7" string. However, if I tried to add the extra string used to have successes above a certain threshold count as 2 successes "Xd10s7s9#2", it would not count the extra successes in the total given at the right of the final roll.

If I tried to just use a string so that all successes counted as 2 (i.e. 10d10s7#2), this worked just fine and counted up all the successes.

It seems that somehow the "sX#2" is not working when placed following an "sX" string and is not properly totaling extra successes from die results that should count twice; but *only* when combined with other successes that should only count once. In these cases, it counts the number of successes over the original threshold, but not the additional successes for those above the second, higher, threshold.

I tried this both within an existing D&D 5E ruleset game and within a completely new CoreRPG game just to see if anything in the ongoing game was messing with the die-roller. Both had the same results.

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2020, 04:01
The die modes are processed in order. So, if you use Xd10s7s9#2, then the 7s would always trigger before the s9#2. You'll need to switch those around. Have you tried "Xd10s9#2s7"? That works for me as expected.

Regards,
JPG

Larz
October 1st, 2020, 10:06
Aha; I had not tried that, but it makes perfect sense. If that is the case, you are going to want to adjust the example on that wiki to have the "s7s9#2" in the other order (as I just copied the string from the example on the wiki page).

Thanks much.

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2020, 17:59
Thanks, I've updated the example on the wiki.

Regards,
JPG