PDA

View Full Version : Playing Decend into Avernus and missing so many tokens that Roll 20 has.

Gissur
September 29th, 2020, 01:47
Something the FG store sorely miss is more tokens.
Especially given how massive Decend into Avernus is, prepping for this and realizing on Roll20 there are Infernal Warmachine tokens..and proper Avernus Desert graphical maps.
I mean yes I can go to Patreon sites and get maps but tokens for FG I need to create in paint using what I can find on DM's Guild etc, many hours of work when I would easy pay 5-15 Euros for a proper Decend into Avernus Token pack including Infernal Warmachines.

There are a ton of content creators out there among the Patreons and I notice Roll20 have picked up many of them to have their content on their Virtual Tabletop.
Why is Fantasy Ground not doing the same?

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2020, 09:52
Tokens are created from the Artwork that is provided by WotC. If there is no artwork for a particular NPC then you'll get a letter token. I'm pretty sure I made tokens for all of the war machines in DIA, but if you spot one that doesn't then let me know and I'll fix it.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2020, 10:25
I think the comment was about wanting more tokens in the store.

Sure, more stuff in the store would be nice. If you are in contact with any artists who are creating tokens point them towards Fantasy Grounds and hopefully we'll get more tokens and maps on FG!

@Gissur - a recommendation when creating your own tokens, no need to spend hours in Paint. Use RPG token making tools like this: https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/ or https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/

A Social Yeti
September 29th, 2020, 17:52
I think the difficulty of store tokens, is that making tokens is so super easy to do from web image searches, and getting to use real fancy classic oils/Dutch masters kinda of images are hard to do a lot better than i find.
Unless you want a real explicitly "wizard" or whatever fantasy/sci-fi look, and then we all wind up with the same couple hundred google image returns anyway.

As long as you're running a game on your own for fun, not profit, copy rights ain't no thing to that, and all tokens can be stamped out with custom picked highly professional art in short order.

I think to really draw money spending on tokens would have to be no less than some high quality, not stereotypical free art to be had online already. And that would mean a fair bit of artistic talent and creative inspiration, and that's not likely to be cheap.

I suspect token sales are one of the harder ones to get in on, after there were a few big token packs around already. When making our own is just a couple clicks and image search time away, no additional costs but time time it takes.

Now commercial GM's selling service for profit, that's a different situation, they are obligated to obtain permission for owned IP, and would be the more central target demo for token sales i suspect.
But then a commercial GM paying for tokens is just cutting into their own bottom line, so i'd suspcet more of them would want to be their own artist, or seek better deals for their own custom token sets, from people they know IRL already.
I imagine a paying player that sees the paid for GMs using the same "over the counter tokens" as each other would not feel the value in their spending as much as personal custom token art others don't all have.
Again making it harder to get paid for token art. So i do just assume that while there will be some, we've been through the initial explosion, and tokens art for VTTs, just don't seem to be a growth market.

Just say'n i believe tokens are not a real growth market for VTTs in general. I'd not expect to see too massive a selection of those like i would detailed maps and that sort of camping aid stuff.
And mostly cause only the commercial GMs are obligated to pay for art, the rest of can fairly easily make our own from any art we find online that we like.

I do find most modern token artists are hard pressed to compete against the classic oils from the 16-19th century. So many of those make for great NPC tokens and as a player i tend to use them too.

Gissur
September 30th, 2020, 09:56
Thanks Zach I actually found the ingame tokens I guess they will do. But saw that there are 3rd party tokens of War Machines as Tokens for Roll20 but that Token pack is not in Fantasy Grounds. Or did you have 3d tokens for the Infernal Warmachines as well or just the Standard ones?

At least we got the standard Tokens though, it will do. Its not the end of the world but in my campaign there will be quite alot of chasing going on and traveling. I already made a few Lava, Sand Dune, and Rocky maps that spans around 3 to 5000 feet across, some with line of sight some not, so I just thought for the sake of it would be nice to have 3d tokens as well. My Dia Campaign is complete Sandbox and I have created approx 10 more Warlord Mauraders, 10 more quest lines and Haruman is "Sherif of Avernus" with his own agenda and Bounties.

So I would be happy to find more art work in tokens above all. Went through Devin's tokens and I must say there are no real 3d tokens available for DIA. Very few Demon and Devil Tokens, although the actual art on the 2d Tokens are nice so I dont reall mind too much. But the Infernal Warmachines, phuh I really want 3D tokens of them.

Gissur
September 30th, 2020, 09:57
As for Tokens being easy to make. I have a handful really nice images etc.
But Im a writer not a painter. I can write you a dozen stories in 10 minutes but making a token would take me 10 days.
Any tips or websites where to find such a token creator tool?

Trenloe
September 30th, 2020, 10:14
Any tips or websites where to find such a token creator tool?
I linked you two in post #3 above.

Gissur
September 30th, 2020, 12:43
I linked you two in post #3 above.

My bad, I see it now, thank you.